Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kestral posted:

I took the load-bearing shrimp’s shield belt away, but gave her a quad-tesla cannon spinal mount.

unexpectedly, spinal mounting on something that doesn't have a spine doesn't throw gigabytes of log errors

(yes I know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
Honey This Shrimp Fried the Kids

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

unexpectedly, spinal mounting on something that doesn't have a spine doesn't throw gigabytes of log errors

(yes I know)

THANK YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the small pastry is armed... er spined

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
just some dude passing through, a bit on point

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Christ I forgot how much Tornadoes loving sucked, got hit with a raid that used a tornado generator on me and it tore a path right through my outer defenses, my artillery (taking out most of my munitions on the way, fortunately they're stored behind some seriously solid walls), and ultimately dissippating after it destroyed a generator and a couple of batteries :gonk:

e; It vaporized my best doctor too

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 1, 2024

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Jelly posted:

just some dude passing through, a bit on point

I think I know who he might be looking for:

god bless you, Katana Jubilee. I took that screenshot when she first showed up as a 14-year-old space weeb, a Hospitality guest from a friendly faction. She now shows up about once a year, and has an uncanny knack for arriving right before or during a raid or mechanoid drop. We once had to break out of a siege and take an unfavorable field battle because Katana Jubilee was downed and bleeding out on the edge of the map, and by god we were not going to let her die in the snow. She has a destiny, I can sense it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tornado? I’ve never had to deal with a tornado

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

jokes posted:

Tornado? I’ve never had to deal with a tornado

They were an old random event back in the beta days, but they got removed as an event and replaced with a (pretty rare) item that gives a one-shot ability to create a tornado. Although I don't actually know if they can normally show up on raiders or if that's the fault of a mod.

Katana Jubilee is an astonishing name, never heard of anyone so cyberpunk.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Tornado generators are not used by raiders without mod interference, same as all the other one-shot cataclysm devices like the orbital bombardment targeter or the drop pod full of 100 boomrats.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Kestral posted:

Annoying voice
Hahaha

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
One should never go in expecting mods to be well balanced - sometimes they are and you're pleasantly surprised, but frequently you need to ratchet up the difficulty to compensate for them - but sometimes you see something in a mod and go "wow, really?" I'm continuing to mess around with the more fully featured race mods, and I'm playing the Kurin anime fox people who have custom equipment/vehicles/SRTS shuttles/etc so it's quite nice. They're a bit overpowered as a race(insane social stat on everyone, free mood bonuses for having a bunch of kurin, start allied with a very powerful friendly kurin faction) with too few drawbacks(the only real one being them being awful at plants, which is easily fixable with agrihands or recruiting a couple non-Kurin to be your farmhands), but mostly within the realm of sanity...

...until you get to their equipment, which is mostly "what if vanilla stuff took way less research and also was just generally notably better" across the board. Their power armor provides a set of absolutely absurd bonuses(+100% melee armor penetration? what on earth?) and their sniper rifle is notable for being roughly the same in damage/range as the vanilla rifle, with two "minor" changes - it has about half the aiming delay, which is already good enough, but then it also has 115% armor penetration for some godforsaken reason, a number so high that I seriously wonder if it's a typo because there's two higher tier sniper rifles(heavy sniper rifle and charge sniper rifle) that are barely upgrades(but both still have the 115% penetration).

The mod has really high production values and I appreciate the work that went into it but man it's pretty goofy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As someone who has dealt with most of the racemods on the workshop it is very impressive how many of them are also secretly cheaty mods for powerful weapons/armor, yes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked the balance of the Kijin, faster work speed but eats way more, but also the mod forces you to use the big titty anime lady mod and I don't really want to

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hellioning posted:

As someone who has dealt with most of the racemods on the workshop it is very impressive how many of them are also secretly cheaty mods for powerful weapons/armor, yes.

It's really funny when this happens because it's like they restrain themselves up to a certain point by going "oh i need some token drawbacks" and then eventually hit the point where they're like "gently caress it, open the floodgates".

It kind of retroactively makes me more impressed with the Anty mod, because while they have some real crazy benefits they also have some extremely crippling drawbacks that force you to reexamine how you're playing to accommodate them.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 2, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
this is the best mod i've ever seen for rimworld

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2773943594

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah that's been a mainstay in the ol' modlist for awhile now, it adds some really fun possibilities for maps. Some of them are blatantly OP but it's a single player game so that's just fine

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I think that's the first mod I ever installed for RimWorld, it's just real good

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

It's really funny when this happens because it's like they restrain themselves up to a certain point by going "oh i need some token drawbacks" and then eventually hit the point where they're like "gently caress it, open the floodgates".

It kind of retroactively makes me more impressed with the Anty mod, because while they have some real crazy benefits they also have some extremely crippling drawbacks that force you to reexamine how you're playing to accommodate them.

It's why my personal favorite racemod is moonjellies because they are exceptionally balanced in that they are made of paper and are roughly as strong as it too.

Always fun when one of your starting colonists can only carry like 7 steel at a time.

It's real good! I keep trying to build a lakebase for a while now.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The mod makes it very easy to have the typical incredible maps like a big open base with only a single chokepoint, or mountains with fields of rich soil etc. But you can also do some weird and unique stuff with it. Long canyon rivers are a fun scenario, or island bases.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same except this one

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2674133613

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah that's been a mainstay in the ol' modlist for awhile now, it adds some really fun possibilities for maps. Some of them are blatantly OP but it's a single player game so that's just fine

Yeah I use this one all the time too. The first time I saw the crater map types I laughed my rear end off because it's the turtler's wet dream made manifest, but the various landform choices aren't not really any different than choosing what biome/temperature you're settling. Sometimes you feel like a year round temperate forest and sometimes you feel like watching people die on sea ice.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

nm

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Idly if theres stuff in a mod that's hilariously overpowered and there's no native options to change it then remember that its trivially easy to just go into the mod's xml files and edit them yourself. Its possible to break things if you're inexperienced but just going in and swapping a few 115s to 30s or whatever is easy.

Just remember to do this with a local copy if it's a steam mod or else the original values will get slapped back in the next time anything updates.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Does anyone here run Altered Carbon? If so, is there a proper way to transfer a living colonist's stack to a new sleeve? I did a surgical Extract Stack on one of mine to stick them in their shiny new vatgrown body with the custom genome, and it gave everyone a "Colonist Executed" malus when his original body died from pulling the stack.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mzbundifund posted:

You telling me a shrimp fried this save?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It’s been a long time since I last played this game, but I have some free time on my hands now so I’m giving it a go again. Currently on the latest version, but no DLC. The last time I played, the conventional wisdom was that if you were thinking about having a long-term base at all you should always pick Randy Random as a storyteller, because even on the chillest settings with the other two, they’ll eventually ramp up the threats and raids to a functionally unbeatable level if your game goes on long enough. Does that still hold true?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yes, Randy the best.

The customization options to storyteller are also possibly new to you and you base off the storyteller and can alter many things.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
There are also modded storytellers available if you’re doing a themed run (most commonly they’re used if you want to do a tech-level-limited playthrough), but check out the storyteller settings for sure.

In the grand Rimworld dev tradition tynan was extremely resistant to any changes until finally giving in and making the settings extremely granular.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Inadequately posted:

It’s been a long time since I last played this game, but I have some free time on my hands now so I’m giving it a go again. Currently on the latest version, but no DLC. The last time I played, the conventional wisdom was that if you were thinking about having a long-term base at all you should always pick Randy Random as a storyteller, because even on the chillest settings with the other two, they’ll eventually ramp up the threats and raids to a functionally unbeatable level if your game goes on long enough. Does that still hold true?

Randy is the best overall storyteller, but if you're just interested in a chill city building game without needing to deal with a lot of danger, Phoebe on low difficulties is extremely merciful. She does scale over time but very, very gently.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah it's always been funny to me how much the game makes it sound like randy is a scary difficult time and if you don't want to suffer you should pick phoebe but it's not the case due to how the random event system and escalations are set up

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You can go into the menu and switch storytellers midway. My general go to is to start with Phoebe and then after a year or two switch to Randy.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
You will occasionally get hellfucked by some back-to-back events in Randy, but those stories are the best part of this thread.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the secret is randy will occasionally hellfuck you, but once you get strong enough, phoebe/cassandra can't do anything BUT hellfuck you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
does randy not scale events the same way? ime randy scales very directly off of wealth, seemingly not that differently from the others? the only difference is there's potentially less attrition via automated raid timings, albeit randy will also send you potentially back to back raids so it is kind of a wash?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The threat scaling is the same, but eventually Casandra and Phoebe go “ok gently caress you, time for you to get off this planet” and only send you raids while Randy continues to randomly pull events iirc.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Started organizing my resource depot by color last night as i waited for things to mine/research

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
wow racism

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

does randy not scale events the same way? ime randy scales very directly off of wealth, seemingly not that differently from the others? the only difference is there's potentially less attrition via automated raid timings, albeit randy will also send you potentially back to back raids so it is kind of a wash?
Everyone but Randy has a variable that ticks up forever- even Phoebe. Eventually raids will get too big to deal with (or max out), because they think you're supposed to be getting off the planet.

Randy is the only storyteller who respects that you might just want to live here now and won't eventually get wrathful, no matter how long you stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
well randy does too, it's just wealth