Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
FINALLY I CAN COMPLAIN.

NO, THE PRIMAL ZERG AREN'T "DINO ZERG." THEY'RE loving "DRAGON ZERG."

THEY DID ALL THIS poo poo JUST SO THEY COULD HAVE ANCIENT WISE POWERFUL DRAGONS IN THE SETTING.

DTurtle posted:

Wait a second, the Zerg weren’t a project of the Xel‘naga as a whole, but just a single "fallen" one?

This is actually an "important" retcon as it does a whole lot of damage to the Xel'naga's former hubris-gets-you-killed story, which means that there's really nothing about SC1's story that SC2 leaves unmangled and unstripped of what value it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

See this is part of why I liked the idea that the primals evolved from zerg left behind. Then there's good reason for them to have zerglings and hydralisks and ultralisks, since they did originally have those forms in their genome. Could even go one step further and give them only either units from Starcraft 1 and ones new to this mission chain (which is basically to say, don't give them roaches).

It's also a missed opportunity to just have the entire ground be creep from the start. It's the Zerg homeworld, and we're having ZvZ matches on it!

PurpleXVI posted:

FINALLY I CAN COMPLAIN.

NO, THE PRIMAL ZERG AREN'T "DINO ZERG." THEY'RE loving "DRAGON ZERG."

THEY DID ALL THIS poo poo JUST SO THEY COULD HAVE ANCIENT WISE POWERFUL DRAGONS IN THE SETTING.

And... yeah, this is the big problem I had with Zerus. Retconning the specifics of the Zerg homeworld didn't bother me, but what was put in place was very stock brute monsters with pack alphas and ancient dragons. There are so many more interesting places you can take the idea of "what would the Zerg be like if they lived freely without an Overmind" and they just filled that in with stock animal-people tropes, and not even the interesting animal-people tropes.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 3, 2024

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Xarn posted:

Important collection, this isn't Welcome to the Jungle. That was TvP, this is ZvZ :colbert:

This mission is also waaay worse to play.

It also doesn't end after you wipe the enemy off the map.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Zeratul: You will not see me again

Me: Oh thank god.

Also I dunno maybe I am being weird about this but I kind of hate that the primal zerg even have language or intelligence. I had assumed that they would basically be animals; the whole point of the xel'naga making the overmind is that having a great intelligence controlling all the animals makes the animals scary. Having the primals be intelligent enough to have language severely undermines this idea of unfettered Darwinistic survival of the fittest thing too, because you know what really short-circuits natural selection? Being smart enough to do things like use tools and make plans and use language (works cited: human history on earth). Finally, it feels really weird that the ultralisk is sapient anyway, because what would an ultralisk do with humanlike intelligence? It's not like it has opposable thumbs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Only a select few primal zerg can talk. Most are just chaff mindlessly throwing themselves against the swarm and dying in droves. Are they supposed to be sapient? It doesn't seem like it at all.

aniviron posted:

Zeratul: You will not see me again

Me: Oh thank god.
I've got bad news.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the thing I personally hate the most about the Primal Zerg is how they're fundamentally just dinosaur versions of the Swarm Zerg with night elf buildings

Even setting aside the worms thing, which stinks, the SC1 manual had all these neat entries about how the Zerg scoured the galaxy for all the nastiest apex predators or other cool critters, and assimilated and adapted them until they were advanced enough to go toe to toe with sci-fi human guns and all the space elf magic the Protoss use to compete. Like, the zergling was a desert critter hybridized with like ten other adaptable predators to create a soldier that'd thrive anywhere, and the ultralisk was the biggest, sturdliest pack herbivore adapted with all the organic knives you can put on a body.

nope turns out that they're all just one species of noble savage that convergently developed together in a jungle somewhere, which is not only stupid, but commits the far greater crime of being boring. They didn't even use their magic hyper-evolution to evolve into anything new and cool, all they could muster in the time since the Xel'naga just Amon was around was to pop out a single new unit type.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Grammarchist posted:

Abathur is still the standout star of Hearts. He's just so proud of his work and rightfully disdainful of the primals.

If I remember right, it gets better before the next mission, too.

Also, Zeratul really has that little screen time? I thought it was more, although that might be because he just doesn't stop talking in the first crystal mission in Wings.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Keyboard: acquired. Drink: alcoholic. Rant: :rant: in progress

This set of missions is when I completely checked out of the story. Because loving hell, are they going to Noble Savage the loving Zerg? Spoilers: yes, yes they are.
And it makes negative infinity sense.

Frankly speaking, nowadays you can read a fantastic takedown of the trope in Dr. Bret Deveraux's blog; he called it the Fremen Mirage. He puts why the trope is bullshit in far better words than I could, so I strongly suggest reading that series.

Let's start with one of the conclusions though. The Noble Savage (is claimed to) fight good, because he is unconstrained by the weakness and decadence of civilization. Check out the historical record though, and it turns out said Noble Savage is actually pants at waging war. For every Chinggis Khan (aka Genghis Khan) there are 99 warlords that crash and burn against civilization and get paraded through Rome or wherever as war trophies.

Let's take these bozos. Oh, scary dinosaurs hold on where's your spacefaring capabilities? What the gently caress do you do if the Protoss Golden Armada happens to come here by chance and starts an exterminatus?
You die like bugs that's what you do. Are you going to complain to the referees for foul play?

In the meanwhile, the Overmind has conquered uncountable planets and broken the Protoss' empire back, all with an hand tied behind its back because it was also searching for a way to break the Zerg free from Amon.
Oh, survival of the fittest through combat, how cute. Meanwhile the Swarm has waged total war against Terran and Protoss alike and has come on top. What do you do against a M&M bioball with siege tank support? Because let me tell you, stimmed Marines & medics can take basically anything a SC1 Zerg can throw at them and ask for more. Lurkers? Queens? Defilers? You don't have those, those are Amon's CorruptedR Swarm originals.

:rant::rant::rant:

Part of what I hate about the trope is how self-contradictory it is.

Dune: the Jamis vs Paul duel to the death. On one side, a 30-something Fremen, an hardened warrior and brutal killer. On the other side, a 15 years old noble, never faced a day of burden or hunger or thirst in his life; all his combat experience is training, and the narration actually spends some words in describing how said training is handicapping Paul because the duel's rules are way outside the way he was trained. Under the Noble Savage rules, the result should be obvious, no?
End result: Paul clowns on Jamis, HARD. Paul defeats Jamis so decisively that in two different occasions during the duel Stilgar has to intervene to prevent the rest of the Sietch from lynching Paul, because they believe the latter is cruelly mocking Jamis.
And yet at no point nobody, including the author, stops to think that maybe this Noble Savage that just got clowned on by a whelp half his age isn't actually that good at fighting.

Same here. Spoilers, Kerrigan will loot the Primals for all that they are worth and then chuck them in the trash (where they belong) and yet nobody will stop and think, maybe these bozos weren't that good after all.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 3, 2024

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Omobono posted:

Dune: the Jamis vs Paul duel to the death. On one side, a 30-something Fremen, an hardened warrior and brutal killer. On the other side, a 15 years old noble, never faced a day of burden or hunger or thirst in his life; all his combat experience is training, and the narration actually spends some words in describing how said training is handicapping Paul because the duel's rules are way outside the way he was trained. Under the Noble Savage rules, the result should be obvious, no?
End result: Paul clowns on Jamis, HARD. Paul defeats Jamis so decisively that in two different occasions during the duel Stilgar has to intervene to prevent the rest of the Sietch from lynching Paul, because they believe the latter is cruelly mocking Jamis.
And yet at no point nobody, including the author, stops to think that maybe this Noble Savage that just got clowned on by a whelp half his age isn't actually that good at fighting.

Kind of off topic but didn't Paul have some space magic on his side here?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GunnerJ posted:

Kind of off topic but didn't Paul have some space magic on his side here?

I don't think so, his Space Magic is prescience and it wasn't under his conscious control yet. No seeing the future during that duel IIRC.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The funniest part of how unbelievably bad Zerus is, we still have lower depths to sink to. The primal Zerg are awful though and one of the worst parts of SC2. They’re just incredibly boring.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Omobono posted:

-snip for space-

Funny that you brought up the ACOUP collection, I thought about it last week when I played through a Imperator Rome campaign :v:

That game, for all its faults, does not in any way follow the Noble Svage trope. I went with a scandi tribe(always fun playing in my home) and conquered the Scandia region, transitioned into a republic and except for a few early years finding my footing none of the tribal defensive leagues could ever stand up to me again. There are also "barbarian" that spawn from some "uninhabitable" areas(The thinking are they are to harsh to support the population to excert any control over the area, they are still inhabited). These represent warlords uniting the different clans or tribes in the are and leading them in a campaign of conquest.

You usually end up swatting them like flies with the local levies, or sending part of a legion if you are feeling fancy :v

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Poil posted:

I've got bad news.

Well, to be fair, he's speaking rather specifically to Kerrigan there.

Also... well, we aren't the only ones who noticed that the Primal Zerg are just reskinned versions of our units. A certain someone is about to have something to say about it in the intermission!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Omobono posted:

I don't think so, his Space Magic is prescience and it wasn't under his conscious control yet. No seeing the future during that duel IIRC.

Hm maybe that's just how I internally "justified" something that otherwise makes no sense, then. Like sure, there's no way Paul is a more capable fighter, but if he's getting subconscious "danger sense" or whatever, he basically knows every move his opponent makes in advance. But I don't actually remember what happened in that scene so!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GunnerJ posted:

Hm maybe that's just how I internally "justified" something that otherwise makes no sense, then. Like sure, there's no way Paul is a more capable fighter, but if he's getting subconscious "danger sense" or whatever, he basically knows every move his opponent makes in advance. But I don't actually remember what happened in that scene so!

I re-read the book fairly recently after Dune 2021 made it to Netflix, and yeah there's no space magic at work at that point. Paul is Just That Good.

And also one of the most brutal tyrants the galaxy would ever see, down the road. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I feel like the movie did at least a little bit more to try making it make sense by showing some visions of Jamis killing Paul so you kinda got the sense he's maybe seen the fight play out in his head a few times in advance or whatever. (To your other point, the movie also does a lot to signal that Paul is actually really bad news, which I appreciated.)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

See this is part of why I liked the idea that the primals evolved from zerg left behind. Then there's good reason for them to have zerglings and hydralisks and ultralisks, since they did originally have those forms in their genome. Could even go one step further and give them only either units from Starcraft 1 and ones new to this mission chain (which is basically to say, don't give them roaches).
No, no, no!

The SC1 manual is very clear, that the "original" Zerg are small parasitic worms capable of taking over and assimilating other creatures and doing some targeted evolution. AFTER killing the Xel‘naga, the Zerg went on a rampage through the galaxy, assimilating creatures and integrating them into the Swarm. Zerglings, Hydralisks and (most) other Zerg units even have the explicit planetary systems named where they are from. There shouldn‘t be any "normal" Zerg units on Zerus…

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I re-read the book fairly recently after Dune 2021 made it to Netflix, and yeah there's no space magic at work at that point. Paul is Just That Good.

And also one of the most brutal tyrants the galaxy would ever see, down the road. :v:

There's a non-zero amount of space magic- he's already gone through the start of becoming a people-computer and courtesy of spice exposure he's getting more frequent bursts of foresight/pastsight, and also his mom has used some of her space magic to try to make the other guy fight worse

but it is explicitly called out that during the fight his futuresight is giving him absolutely nothing to work with, there's too many variables, all he can tell is that there's a lot of futures that involve him dying here and he did not need space magic to know that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DTurtle posted:

No, no, no!

The SC1 manual is very clear, that the "original" Zerg are small parasitic worms capable of taking over and assimilating other creatures and doing some targeted evolution. AFTER killing the Xel‘naga, the Zerg went on a rampage through the galaxy, assimilating creatures and integrating them into the Swarm. Zerglings, Hydralisks and (most) other Zerg units even have the explicit planetary systems named where they are from. There shouldn‘t be any "normal" Zerg units on Zerus…

this much, at least, i react to with a "fine, whatever, we are not made of development time, I'll roll with it for the sake of the story you're trying to tell, if the story's a good one"

the story was not a good one

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah it would have been very cool for the Primal Zerg to have way more variety of enemy, even if it's a bunch of like zergling-alikes and whatnot with different models and abilities. But that would also be kind of an insane amount of time spent on modeling.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

There's a non-zero amount of space magic- he's already gone through the start of becoming a people-computer and courtesy of spice exposure he's getting more frequent bursts of foresight/pastsight, and also his mom has used some of her space magic to try to make the other guy fight worse

but it is explicitly called out that during the fight his futuresight is giving him absolutely nothing to work with, there's too many variables, all he can tell is that there's a lot of futures that involve him dying here and he did not need space magic to know that.

It's been a long, long time since I read the books, but I have always been under the impression that it's implied (and never outright stated) Jessica's use of Gesserit Spacemagicks™ was what won the duel for Paul, was it not?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

DTurtle posted:

No, no, no!

At the very least, this is given a very explicit explanation that is very much a case of "actually yeah that tracks"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

GunnerJ posted:

I feel like the movie did at least a little bit more to try making it make sense by showing some visions of Jamis killing Paul so you kinda got the sense he's maybe seen the fight play out in his head a few times in advance or whatever. (To your other point, the movie also does a lot to signal that Paul is actually really bad news, which I appreciated.)

Villeneuve's adaptation kinda blurs the lines of whether Paul is "awakened" or not by the time he and Jessica find Stilgar and his Fremen. I feel that this was for the sake of brevity as in the book (and very likely one of the first scenes we will see in DUNC part 2) when Jamis' funeral is happening, everyone honours him by saying they were his friend, Paul contributes by saying that Jamis taught him the ways of the desert. Both previous screen adaptations handle that scene very differently, in the Lynch version (only in the extended cut, Jamis doesn't exist in the theatrical cut) they cut the "I was a friend" bits entirely and just give Paul Jamis' water. In the Sci-fi channel miniseries, Paul's line is "he taught me that when you kill, you pay for it", which is a powerful sentiment in its own right, but wasn't what Herbert wrote. This scene also frames it as Paul having to make that statement, as opposed to the book where he feels compelled to offer it to demonstrate to the rest of the Fremen that he is one of them and will honour their customs and traditions.

In the new film, by introducing Jamis in Paul's visions and having him act as a mentor, we get a more blunt depiction the original words, in that Paul is learning the Fremen way before even meeting them. It also adds another gut punch as him not wanting to kill Jamis because he saw a potential future where the two were actual friends and Jamis appeared as part of his war council, so he doesn't want to lose such an ally.

Regardless of all that, Jamis (before Villeneuve) always feels like a punk, he got embarrassed and that hubris leads to his death. There's a LOT of hubris in Heart of the Swarm

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm seeing several people refer to the Primal Zerg as a Noble Savage trope, and I kind of get it, but I think that's a bit of a stretch tbh. There's nothing noble about them at this point, for one thing. They're just aggressive, territorial wild animals whose leaders have enough intelligence to hold the opinion that the Space Zerg kind of suck and should be more like them. The big one has the same opinion as the villainous one on that front, he's just willing to help you correct it. Maybe there will be more in the subsequent missions to back that perspective up, but at this point, I dunno. :shrug:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's less the interactions and more the framing that Kerrigan has to go learn something from the "original" Zerg in order to become the best swarm queen she can be. Maybe noble savage isn't the right term, but it smells a whole lot like a sci-fi version of the old "the civilized man has lost his way and needs to get in touch with his roots" trope.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Sanguinia posted:

I'm seeing several people refer to the Primal Zerg as a Noble Savage trope, and I kind of get it, but I think that's a bit of a stretch tbh.

Agreed. They are just Savage Savage. Blizzard does Noble Savage entirely different way - still bad, but different kind of bad. There's no Primal Thrall, there's no "yeah, they destroyed 2137 billion worlds but they are not the bad guys, they apologized!" , arguably there is Primal Grom Hellscream, but it's still a stretch.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Aces High posted:

In the Sci-fi channel miniseries, Paul's line is "he taught me that when you kill, you pay for it", which is a powerful sentiment in its own right, but wasn't what Herbert wrote. This scene also frames it as Paul having to make that statement, as opposed to the book where he feels compelled to offer it to demonstrate to the rest of the Fremen that he is one of them and will honour their customs and traditions.

Frank Herbert posted:

Paul felt the diminishment of his self as he advanced into the center of the circle. It was as though he lost a fragment of himself and sought it here. He bent over the mound of belongings, lifted out the baliset. A string twanged softly as it struck against something in the pile.
“I was a friend of Jamis,” Paul whispered.
He felt tears burning his eyes, forced more volume into his voice. “Jamis taught me ... that ... when you kill ... you pay for it. I wish I’d known Jamis better.”
Blindly, he groped his way back to his place in the circle, sank to the rock floor.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I hope y'all like fun facts, because these are wild.

Fun Fact #1: Our new friend has a an incredibly goofy design that's not immediately apparent:

He is, effectively, a giant head supported by teeny tiny crab legs.

Fun Fact #2: The core Primal Zerg model gets re-used to a ridiculous degree.

And you may think "oh cool there are a bunch of variations that get picked at random to really showcase how the Primal Zerg are a collection of individuals", but you would be wrong. Only one of each variant actually appears, and so this picture contains 22 models for 6 units:
  • Primal Ultralisks
  • Primal Zerglings
  • [REDACTED], a ranged DPS (which reappears in co-op with a different model)
  • Brakk (who, to his credit, has slightly different posing, mostly achieved by his model being rotated 25 degrees. here he's pictured with a corrected rotation, otherwise his rear end and legs would be clipped into the ground)
  • [REDACTED], a caster unit
  • [REDACTED], an optional boss (that also reappears in co-op with a different model)
And of course, all of these units function very differently despite looking almost identical.

Fun Fact #3: The "Swarm" Primal Zerg are almost entirely Just Normal Zerg Units With Tribal Tattoos:

The only exceptions are the Primal Roach, who has a slightly different model due to the removal of its spines, and the Primal Mutalisk, who for some reason got completely different model topology with iridescent quad-wings and a tail that ends in a stinger instead of the usual Mutalisk rear end-mouth.

Kith fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 3, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well poo poo, I gotta go reread the book then. Possibly to figure out why I was so certain that Paul said something else

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kith posted:

He is, effectively, a giant head supported by teeny tiny crab legs.

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Even setting aside the worms thing, which stinks, the SC1 manual had all these neat entries about how the Zerg scoured the galaxy for all the nastiest apex predators or other cool critters, and assimilated and adapted them until they were advanced enough to go toe to toe with sci-fi human guns and all the space elf magic the Protoss use to compete. Like, the zergling was a desert critter hybridized with like ten other adaptable predators to create a soldier that'd thrive anywhere, and the ultralisk was the biggest, sturdliest pack herbivore adapted with all the organic knives you can put on a body.

nope turns out that they're all just one species of noble savage that convergently developed together in a jungle somewhere, which is not only stupid, but commits the far greater crime of being boring. They didn't even use their magic hyper-evolution to evolve into anything new and cool, all they could muster in the time since the Xel'naga just Amon was around was to pop out a single new unit type.
This is the part that I find most annoying about the concept of the Primal Zerg too. The whole concept of the Zerg in SC1 is that they basically are an amalgamation of every species they've encountered in their development across the universe - the hydralisk was a peaceful herbivore caterpillar that the Overmind was like "but what if it could stand up, shoot poisonous spines at high velocity, and had a killer instinct". And from a story perspective, that was a huge part of the Zerg's entire motivation to continually expand and push for more territory, because the only way they can continue to develop and evolve as a species is to constantly find new frontiers with new genetic material to assimilate.

Then SC2 basically deletes that entire thing because actually, the Zerg were a fully formed species on one planet, forget about that whole assimilation thing...oh wait, except for Evolution Missions, those actually are still built around the Zerg's original concept even though we've made that non-canon.

GunnerJ posted:

In the book, he has Jamis' weaknesses and fighting style directly pointed out to him before the fight by Chani. So he actually does already know the tricks that Jamis is going to try - the book actually specifically notes that Paul dodges a couple attacks because he knows Jamis' tendencies and preferred strategy. It's just that the source of his knowledge isn't space-magic but more normal Sun Tzu know thine enemy stuff.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's less the interactions and more the framing that Kerrigan has to go learn something from the "original" Zerg in order to become the best swarm queen she can be. Maybe noble savage isn't the right term, but it smells a whole lot like a sci-fi version of the old "the civilized man has lost his way and needs to get in touch with his roots" trope.

That makes more sense. The actual plot here is that the Zerg Swarm as we know it was engineered by the Xel'naga... or I guess just Amon THE FALLEN XEL'NAGA *roll eyes*. We know from Zeratul's vision that, absent Kerrigan's influence, they will eventually be collared, used to wipe out everyone else, and then discarded and destroyed themselves. They think they have agency and free will, but that's an illusion. Even the Overmind (hang on, I need to resist the urge to die of retcon poisoning) knew that it couldn't resist that fate despite all its power and intellect.

Brakk the Primal seems to grok to this immediately. The one actual substantive criticism that he lobs at the swarm is that they are "mindless," and "empty." So it seems like the question they're posing here is "what are the Zerg meant to be absent outside influence?" I think its a fair read to take that as an anti-Civilization, Return to Monke, longing for the Pristine Fields of Arcadia kind of message. There are other possible readings though. I'll wait and see what happens. Like I said, I really only remember the ending of this chain of events, nothing in between.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

noble savage isn't interchangeable with fremen mirage. the similarity is that they're both romanticising less developed cultures

zergs aren't civilised. nothing about them suggests weakness, softness or decadence. there's nothing special about this arc - the structure of the entire campaign is Kerrigan going to different places to take stuff to power up so she can kill Mengsk. we'll see shortly what it is Kerrigan takes from Zerus. for that matter next update we'll see what Zerus took from the Swarm. this line of criticism is weak

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Kith posted:

The only noteworthy exception is the Primal Mutalisk, who for some reason is unique in that it has iridescent quad-wings and a different tail that ends in a stinger instead of the usual Mutalisk rear end-mouth.

That Primal Mutalisk is awesome. I love everything about it. The Roach also has some very neat detail work done on its carapace. The others being so lame, especially the always-iconic Hydralisk, is a real let-down.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Aces High posted:

well poo poo, I gotta go reread the book then. Possibly to figure out why I was so certain that Paul said something else

Better prioritize that, you've only got two weeks to refresh your memory before the best Dune movie is back in theaters!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The recolors in some cases actually do a lot of work to make them look weird and different imo (not the guardian tho lol). On paper the primal hydralisk is just a normal hydralisk but green with pink highlights, but that's such a striking difference that I honestly never noticed it was more or less the same model.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

MagusofStars posted:

This is the part that I find most annoying about the concept of the Primal Zerg too. The whole concept of the Zerg in SC1 is that they basically are an amalgamation of every species they've encountered in their development across the universe - the hydralisk was a peaceful herbivore caterpillar that the Overmind was like "but what if it could stand up, shoot poisonous spines at high velocity, and had a killer instinct". And from a story perspective, that was a huge part of the Zerg's entire motivation to continually expand and push for more territory, because the only way they can continue to develop and evolve as a species is to constantly find new frontiers with new genetic material to assimilate.

Then SC2 basically deletes that entire thing because actually, the Zerg were a fully formed species on one planet, forget about that whole assimilation thing...oh wait, except for Evolution Missions, those actually are still built around the Zerg's original concept even though we've made that non-canon.

the SC1 manual is (once again) a little incoherent - the zerg are parasitic worms that "merge" with host creatures and gain absolute metabolic/anatomical control

quote:

As the Zerg incorporated more and more host creatures into their fold, they began to assimilate their various genetic strains and processes. Zerg chemistry began to mutate and adapt according to the volume of new genetic material being processed. However, as diverse as the range of host creatures became, there was always the undeviating drive to consume only the most evolutionarily advanced species encountered. The Zerg were innately selective as to which species they consumed, ensuring that at every stage of their development they were at the top of the proverbial food chain. Any race that the Zerg came across that was deemed unworthy of assimilation was eradicated to further purify the strains.

The Xel’Naga soon made an alarming discovery. The original races assimilated by the Zerg were hardly recognizable after only a few generations of their inception. Somehow the Zerg had developed the ability to supercharge and steer the latent evolutionary processes within their host creatures. The host creatures fell prey to the effects of gradual physical mutations that caused all of the various strains to grow armor piercing spines, razor-sharp limbs, and ultra dense carapaces. Over a surprisingly short amount of time, the strains grew to resemble a terrifyingly ravenous and unified race.

this is all on Zerus, pre-Overmind, pre-spaceflight

it's unclear whether these are individual zergs or all zerg as a whole; how this genetic information is being transmitted pre-hivemind; whether host creatures are being continually parasitised by new zergs or if zerg larvae are growing into facsimiles of host creatures that had been previously assimilated or if these are the original host creatures that their controlling zergs have mutated on an individual basis. it's crummy writing all the way down!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Skip leg day, live forever. Got it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sanguinia posted:

The Roach also has some very neat detail work done on its carapace. The others being so lame, especially the always-iconic Hydralisk, is a real let-down.

Completely forgot about the Roach's differences, thank you for reminding me. What's funny is that the Primal Roach's cool carapace was achieved by just removing the spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DTurtle posted:

No, no, no!

I'm referring to a scenario where they didn't become "primal" zerg until after the Overmind died (or at least left for Koprulu, however you'd rather play it). That they were originally a part of the Zerg swarm under the Overmind, with all of the innovations and adaptations it made, but went and changed once they were no longer under control.

This, obviously, isn't what happened in the canon of SC2. It just would have been better.