Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Some of the best metal is being made today, and that makes me happy. Just wanted to mention that.

Come hang out with us in the NMD metal thread, it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phlegmish posted:

That said, I absolutely agree that it's fine to be into music that went out of style decades ago, no matter how old or young you are. My favorite era in music history is the late seventies/early eighties, about ten years before I was born, just because I'm all about the sound and aesthetics of punk, hardcore, two tone, new wave, power pop, that sort of thing.

Absolutely. For example I got into loving The Ink Spots when I played Fallout 1, and I'm sure that I'm not alone in that. Well made music will find its way into your heart if you give it a fair chance, such as watching the Fallout intro a few hundred times!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“Classic rock” (boomer music from to 60s and 70s) was huge in the late 80s/early 90s which is why I have to explain to my kids that while I am familiar with a lot of songs from people like Elton John and The Who I’m not a fan. I just couldn’t avoid hearing them when I was a kid.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Old man yells at the cloud.

There's no cloud; only other people's computers. And yelling at them is perfectly justified.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Elton john's great the gently caress's wrong with you. It's not like he's steely dan

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Steely Dan? The dildo?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Scratch Monkey posted:

“Classic rock” (boomer music from to 60s and 70s)
That’s Oldies now. Classic Rock has become Nirvana and Metallica and Bon Jovi and poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Steely Dan? The dildo?

Yeah.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That’s Oldies now. Classic Rock has become Nirvana and Metallica and Bon Jovi and poo poo.

I grew up listening to my parents' music - 1960s music. I had a moment when I had the realization that top 40 radio I remember from elementary and middle school - cuts from Jagged Little Pill, Eurodance like Another Night or Wanna Be My Lover - are now as old as the "oldies" I was listening to as a kid in the '90s.

There is a lot of really overplayed stuff from the 'classic rock' era: Hotel California is a classic example but I'd also peg stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody, Sister Golden Hair, Layla, etc. I don't blame younger people for being sick of that stuff at all; I'm sick of a lot of it and I tend to dig 'classic rock'.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Millennials are too embarrassed to admit they are Reelin in the Years.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Incidentally, Reelin In the Years is one of the few Steely Dan songs I like. Thoroughly loving sick of Do It Again, though (another example of a way overplayed song).

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Now if we're talking about Steeleye Span it's a different matter, I would listen to All Around My Hat any time

:hfive:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One of the first things I did when I got Napster in like 1999 or 2000 or whatever the gently caress was start downloading music from bands I was sort of vaguely aware of but curious about, like The Beatles and Pink Floyd and that became some of my favorite stuff to listen to. That really informed a lot of my musical taste later and opened up the world to me since I don't have this weird aversion to listening to and enjoying music made before I was born like some of you apparently have

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Steve Martin has a first name for a last name so you should never trust him.

But, I can trust Keith David!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's true that people can be very knee jerk about declaring something "dated" and not wanting to listen to it because it's "too ooooold". But bands like the Beatles the Eagles, Pink Floyd, etc are so overexposed that I can't blame people too much for being averse to them, for the same reason that I'm so sick of poo poo like Sister Golden Hair and Do It Again: familiarity breeds contempt.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's true that people can be very knee jerk about declaring something "dated" and not wanting to listen to it because it's "too ooooold". But bands like the Beatles the Eagles, Pink Floyd, etc are so overexposed that I can't blame people too much for being averse to them, for the same reason that I'm so sick of poo poo like Sister Golden Hair and Do It Again: familiarity breeds contempt.

I don't get the "overplayed" thing because where are you hearing these things? The radio? Spotify, Pandora? These bands made other songs. There are tons of Pink Floyd songs that are great that get literally no play (the entirety of Animals for example.)

poo poo, I even listened to Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety (on my turntable :smuggo: ) the other day and I've heard all of those songs a million billion times and even still, listening to it as an album instead of just the usual radio hits of Time and Money just hits different. The problem isn't the music, it's the way you listen to it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Heath posted:

I don't get the "overplayed" thing because where are you hearing these things? The radio? Spotify, Pandora? These bands made other songs. There are tons of Pink Floyd songs that are great that get literally no play (the entirety of Animals for example.)

poo poo, I even listened to Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety (on my turntable :smuggo: ) the other day and I've heard all of those songs a million billion times and even still, listening to it as an album instead of just the usual radio hits of Time and Money just hits different. The problem isn't the music, it's the way you listen to it.

The radio.

I agree with you. I don't really think Pink Floyd are overplayed. They're just one of several examples of bands that, to younger people, might be overexposed because they (and a handful of their songs like Time and Money) get a lot of attention over other stuff that's just as good.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Steely Dan may be the dumbest ever, but they did put out some good music. Rollin rollin rollin was p good (air raid vehicle)

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I would rather listen to a more contemporary good band inspired by the Beatles or Zeppelin or whoever than the original band. Same with bands inspired by kraftwerk, Eno, Bach, or old new Orleans jazz. Something about the contemporary mixed with those influences just does it for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Heath posted:

One of the first things I did when I got Napster in like 1999 or 2000 or whatever the gently caress was start downloading music from bands I was sort of vaguely aware of but curious about

One of the first songs I ever downloaded when I got Napster was The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring. No regrets, still think it's a banger, good job 12-year-old me.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The radio.

I agree with you. I don't really think Pink Floyd are overplayed. They're just one of several examples of bands that, to younger people, might be overexposed because they (and a handful of their songs like Time and Money) get a lot of attention over other stuff that's just as good.

Yeah. Radio is really to blame on homogenizing music tastes.
Before Spotify and Youtube, I had no idea what songs were to popular ones.
I mainly listened albums and just liked the songs from them that I liked and that was that.
Lot of bangers on those albums that people just didn't know.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
A steely dan derail was not what I was expecting but it's been pretty entertaining

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This kind of understates where the "overplayed" stuff comes from because to me it just sounds like somebody actively choosing to listen to the radio but it can show up anywhere and everywhere. Bars, arenas, grocery stores, karaoke, telephone hold music, waiting rooms, soundtracks, festivals, parties, etc. And then years spent listening to whatever my parents were listening to, which does include but is not limited to the radio.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Elton john's great the gently caress's wrong with you. It's not like he's steely dan

If I ever hear "Benny and the Jets" again in my entire life it'll be too soon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Where the gently caress this guy listening to sister golden hair all the time. I never heard it before the sopranos and my parents exclusively listend to oldies

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I always associated Sister Golden Hair with TV but I couldn't tell you what show or why

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bobbys dad kills mustang sally to it

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

bobbys dad kills mustang sally to it

Man, I gotta finish watching King of the Hill

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always heard Steely Dan fans talking about how it's some of the most musically complex stuff on the air. Listening to chord progressions like in Peg I can believe it

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If we're going to talk old boomer music though, I've always liked Roxy Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lySN6qjAsis

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Y'all need to listen to some good music. Here's some Floyd-adjacent rock. Watch that loving drummer.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Soul Dentist posted:

It's unbelievable to me that millennials wouldn't immediately recognize Steely Dan Doobie Brothers Patti LaBelle Wang Chung Toto Carly Simon Jackson Browne Aretha Franklin vocalist Michael McDonald

Shaddak posted:

But, I can trust Keith David!
How about David Keith?

That was true when those songs came out because FM rotation just flogged them to ribbons. Like Stairway To Heaven: we were blown away by the album, but by 1976 we couldn't change the station fast enough. I am the boomer that listens to all of those bands/groups; I ted to exclude the tracks that became unlistenable due to airplay but there's a whole album of great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YxK-swFREo

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I would rather listen to a more contemporary good band inspired by the Beatles or Zeppelin or whoever than the original band. Same with bands inspired by kraftwerk, Eno, Bach, or old new Orleans jazz. Something about the contemporary mixed with those influences just does it for me.
You are somewhat bound by the music that moves you when you reach the age that it does so. And that's the way it should be.

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Feb 3, 2024

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

TMBG looking rough

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love Steely Dan. And the new Playboi Carti. And most stuff in between. Except the Eagles and K Pop.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Soul Dentist posted:

I love Steely Dan. And the new Playboi Carti. And most stuff in between. Except the Eagles and K Pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlmvtAHhnc

i got kicked out of a party once for telling my friend's dad that i wish he would change the station cause i hated the beatles

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Scarodactyl posted:

TMBG looking rough

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Steely Ban? More like Steely 6er to start with. Post funny pics not Perl developer playlists.