Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

i think so. but realistically had he stayed at Grumbles, he would have been way up the corp ladder before Marla made DM.

I doubt it, and I say this because the former boss whose name I already forget was an exceptionally lazy man. Promoting Josh sounds like work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

I am here for someone to finally say something bad about Bernice in the comic.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I can't think of a third thing! Oh well, ship it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Murdstone posted:

Do what you gotta do. I really hope everything works out for the best for you and your family, and I appreciate the time you take to get what you post here.

~Coxy posted:

I've very sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out OK.
I appreciate the work that you and others put in to posting comics, especially the scans, historic strips, and translations.

Thank you so much. She should be home sometime next week for the longer-return recuperation, and then we can figure it out where we go from there. Hip bones are no joke when you're getting along in years.

And while we're on the topic of putting in the work for the love of intelligent lines and blotches, newspaper comics fans, consider yourself called: the ilovecomix archive is running a Kickstarter to self-host a massive collection of newsprint scans and other contributions after an expensive cloud hosting service did the archive dirty. As a research tool, it's remarkable stuff. As readers, it's the goddamn candy store. And of course, until the recent hosting misfortunes, it was one of the first places I looked for anything.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 17, 1936)

Peanuts (February 4, 1977)

Dinkleshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 3-5, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 6, 1940)

Out Our Way (November 29-December 1, 1943)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 19-21, 2005)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

No, but for real. If this essay actually turns into a Bernice diss track I am so for it.

Quick pitch: The real Bernice has been dead for years. Since then she's Luann's hallucination/alternate persona, Fight Club style.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thranguy posted:

Quick pitch: The real Bernice has been dead for years. Since then she's Luann's hallucination/alternate persona, Fight Club style.

Great, now every time I see Bernice I'm going to hear that haunting little :bsg: music cue for Number Six when she appeared to Dr. Baltar.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Maybe it's because of all the talk about how Randy's Popeye sucks at conveying action, but it's making me appreciate how this fight scene between imaginary friends looks so dynamic.

Hostile V posted:

Neverending Child Adventures

Huh, I just realized why Holbrook had Bruno and Corrie adopt instead. It's just so that bat-hedgehog abomination can have a built-in best friend and/or love interest when they grow up. And here I thought it was rather sus how the trans-sheep character can't have a sheep-wolf kid when Lindefarne could've easily DNA magic'd up a spawn for them.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Ughhh, this is making me sick. :barf:

What stands out to me is how, even now that we're at the end, Military Man here still doesn't engage with his daughter's interests or get to know her on her own terms. She's the one who becomes impressed with his guitar playing, when chances are that she's the one who owns that guitar. And even though she's telling the ex-cop that she's attending an anti-cop protest, he doesn't have anything to say to her.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

amigolupus posted:

Huh, I just realized why Holbrook had Bruno and Corrie adopt instead. It's just so that bat-hedgehog abomination can have a built-in best friend and/or love interest when they grow up. And here I thought it was rather sus how the trans-sheep character can't have a sheep-wolf kid when Lindefarne could've easily DNA magic'd up a spawn for them.

Considering the rabbit and wolf had a kid. its probably some dumb thing about Corrie being a clone.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Wandering Culinarian

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

TyrsHTML posted:

Considering the rabbit and wolf had a kid. its probably some dumb thing about Corrie being a clone.

Then that would be perfect because the baby could come out as a human with ram horns!

SCIENCE.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

LMAO at Gene's face

Big Nate

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

CzarChasm posted:

The first dog is super excited for his owner to get back (because he's so awesome). Poncho is not excited, so he thinks Chaz isn't as great as the guy still in the store.
I was reading the dog as terrified and afraid their owner wasn't coming back, like their owner just leaves them tied to the pole all day sometimes. Your read makes much more sense.
Well that just looks extremely dangerous.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

especially incomprehensible today, this one

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

whatever man

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 02, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 3, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

EasyEW posted:

Help. I'm needing help here.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
oh yeah fair enough, the Rae is about a Sonic Drive-In ad campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geSxaYuWvqQ

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing
End of the epilogue of book 1! I’ll start book 2 tomorrow, and go back to a page a day since we’re back to text-dense 4-panel strips which take longer to translate (for the first half of the book anyway – later she has some more of the chapter-length “narrative” stories).

What a bizarre note to end on. The flow of the narrative seems primed to bite her in the rear end for her decision to ignore the doctor and pediatrician's orders. But then it turns out the baby was unable to sleep for a completely different reason instead? I like WaR just fine, but I can see why this bit bugs the hell out of the others ITT.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

These mice experiment strips hit differently knowing that DNA Wizard isn't even researching anything anymore. She's just wasting the university's time and budget, and disrespecting her test subjects by giving them pretend-work.

riderchop posted:

whatever man

I have to wonder if this was written before or after Lynn found out about her husband having an affair. I remember there was this Livejournal account that analyzed her autobiography, and it floated this idea that Lynn may have possibly had an affair herself. The "if my partner will cheat, then so will I" mentality might explain why the comic was so desperate to tell readers that Anthony was a good person. Then again, maybe I'm just reading too much into this comic and its just about vegetarianism.

On that note, this is yet another strip where the comic pretending to be more modern than it is just doesn't work. Yeah, eating vegetarian dishes is healthy and people stick to the diet because they want to make a stand regarding the ethical consumption of animals, but Foobmom treats it like some kind of fad to make her look like A Good Person. Forcing the family to take up the diet just because she did, and then getting mad that they don't follow it, just makes her look like the jerk here.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

She threw a toddler out into two-digit below zero temperatures as a punishment for screaming. Self-justified revenge adultery is not beyond Lynn Johnston's psychotic state.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

amigolupus posted:

What a bizarre note to end on. The flow of the narrative seems primed to bite her in the rear end for her decision to ignore the doctor and pediatrician's orders. But then it turns out the baby was unable to sleep for a completely different reason instead? I like WaR just fine, but I can see why this bit bugs the hell out of the others ITT.

These mice experiment strips hit differently knowing that DNA Wizard isn't even researching anything anymore. She's just wasting the university's time and budget, and disrespecting her test subjects by giving them pretend-work.

Use it or loose it budget.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hostile V posted:

Neverending Child Adventures

Is there a reference I'm missing in the punch line here?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Listen I don't even know what happened here, when I started posting it looked like they were in the middle of a fun wacky magic world adventure and then that stopped and we got... this.

Curtis

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I kind of like the idea of a bad guy who does things that kind of work out well for everyone. Not like they have a change of heart and do the right thing in the end or anything, just whenever they attempt a scheme it works but in the best possible way for everyone.

He's like some sort of corrupted-genie-wish CMOT Dibbler, whose get rich quick schemes always work just never for him

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EasyEW posted:

Samovar posted:

Help. I'm needing help here.

Mister Olympus posted:

especially incomprehensible today, this one

So mom is interrogating the one boy about the victory garden, her question about farmers plowing fields in the fall implies that she wonders if the victory garden needs to be hoed and spaded up for the fall. That's extra work, so her son is shoving a broom handle under the rug to tap his friend's foot and get him to say "no, that's not needed". Mom blocks the line of communication (broomstick) with a cleverly placed foot.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/2/04

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 7/24-26/52

Yes, we did just spend a week on Brenda changing clothes.

Smokey Stover 7/26/59

Everyday Movies 3/17/37

"I have to spend my time here because my wife is always in bad humor. She's always that way because I spend so little time at home."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/21-23/43

Closer Than We Think! 7/26/59

That doesn't really look safe for the dog.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Because there's a good chance I didn't say exactly what was going on, there was a family medical emergency that popped up roughly three weeks ago that is still ongoing and, because I've been designated a certain role in caregiving (and because I feel like I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing), it's been eating up almost the entirety of my waking hours. I'm posting what I can handle in a day, and as soon as things settle down I'll hopefully get back to my regular schedule.

That's terrible and I'm sorry to hear it. I love the old comics you post and appreciate you doing so, but please don't hesitate to take a break completely if you need to.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 30, 1961)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

He's like some sort of corrupted-genie-wish CMOT Dibbler, whose get rich quick schemes always work just never for him

That is oddly accurate and I love that.

Thank you again for posting Blueberry, Samovar! Corto is good too but Blueberry is awesome.

Ohmed, you better tell Val. First about the revenge you want. And add in the thief assistant during it. Val is all about revenge!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Medenmath posted:

That's terrible and I'm sorry to hear it. I love the old comics you post and appreciate you doing so, but please don't hesitate to take a break completely if you need to.

I appreciate the thought, but even though throttling back is an option I'm using at the moment, this is one of those things I do out of enjoyment. Nothing short of that dream gig of making OOW: The Animated Movie could take me out for more than a few days. And to do that, I'd have to actually be in the animation industry, so you're stuck with me for a while longer.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Sky Beagle One Comes In For A Landing (February 5, 1977)

Dinkleshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 7-9, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 7, 1940)

Out Our Way (December 2-4, 1943)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(12/24/1993)

(12/25/1993)

Ziggy

(8/21/1971)

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Imagine being over the age of 50 and still lacking even basic cooking skills.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 7/26/59

That doesn't really look safe for the dog.
Nor does having nothing between the pilot and the rotors if there's some kind of accident.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My Dad Is Dracula (and Bizarro)

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Did not see that coming.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/3-5/77

I want to personally thank you for introducing me to Virtue of Vera Valiant. I had no idea Stan Lee did this and it’s delightful.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Did not see that coming.

Other long running strips reintroduce a recurring character for an arc and the audience audibly groans. Flash does it about two months into a solid gold run and it's actually great. :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I want to personally thank you for introducing me to Virtue of Vera Valiant. I had no idea Stan Lee did this and it’s delightful.

It definitely puts Newspaper Spider-Man's cheesiness in some additional context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, October 7-13, 1983