Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Isn't it wonderful? No, ads! Thanks Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Oldstench posted:

I launched Amazon Prime and was greeted with a message that all movies and TV shows included with Prime will now have ads, but I can pay more to remove those ads for a month.
Somehow this is less infuriating than every streaming service deciding that whatever I was watching is a shameful secret that should be hidden at the bottom of the main menu to make it as hard as possible to continue

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

hazed glam posted:

I know, right? How dare others, who sell their time/expertise to make a living, not think only of you and your needs, after all, you've given them thousands
:lol:

Reminder that ol' Vet Karen was not only 45 minutes late but couldn't fathom calling ahead to let the vet know about it :allears: then stomped off like a toddler over 12 loving dollars

Plenty of places charge late fees, wonder how often this dipshit gets mad when their ISP or utility companies charge them for not paying on time :lol:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So do we just not do redtext avatars anymore or what?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

no we do. you have my blessing

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hi theres no repeatable proof that ad expenditure actually increases sales nor is there any conclusive evidence that 'branding' does anything, at all

ok bye

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Pluto.tv has always been bad about repeating commercials but I think it’s gotten even worse lately. You’ll have the same commercial repeated not just every ad break, but sometimes multiple times during the same ad break. It just makes me not want to buy your product! It trains me to immediately react to your brand name with a groan.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol apparently this is happening now

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

redshirt posted:

Isn't it wonderful? No ads! Thanks Amazon.

ublock origin + ffox still workin

This, plus Amazon's choice to use their UI to bury the shows I've gone out of my way to specifically tell it I want to watch at the bottom of a bunch of for-pay/subscription garbage I don't care about are pretty much getting me to hook up a PC to my TV.

Once that stops working, the hell with them. Or,

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Time to come join us in the Plex thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605

We can't help you with :filez:, but everything else...

(Plex is amazing, and when it finally enshittifies completely I'm going to be very sad)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Plex has been enshittifying steadily for years now

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Plex requiring a Plex Pass for hardware accelerated transcoding sucks but it's still the best option available for watching literally anything

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Plex has been enshittifying steadily for years now

MORE CAROUSALS MORE I SAY MORE!

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Jellyfin is a good alternative to Plex imo

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Kagrenak posted:

Jellyfin is a good alternative to Plex imo

I've been running it in parallel with my Plex mostly because my friends and I like to group watch and Plex's watch together sync feature has almost never worked. Jellyfin on the other hand almost always does. It's also a small thing, but I like that in addition to the time left on a video it will tell you exactly what time it will finish based on the device's clock.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Yeah I'm already set up with Plex and :filez:, we just have Prime because we have a cc that gives 5% back on purchases if you have an active Prime sub. So far, Prime is effectively free and we always have some Prime bucks. TBH, I only use Prime to see what's new for rent digitally so I can :filez: it. I honestly don't know of any website that just lists new digital releases that you can easily sort by date, language, genre, rating, etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I checked the numbers and even after the price increase having the 5% back on the credit card makes it worth it for me to stay on Prime.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Prime video library is so absolutely stuffed full of weird right-wing propaganda and religious movies it's insane. No other streaming platform would be caught dead with the kind of garbage on prime. It has some documentary about a guy who found God through Trump, and the Trump vs. the Illuminati movie, and Sound & Fury or whatever it's called. And it has a whole lot of extremely low budget jesus movies and angry MAWG action movies about conservative right-wing mary sues getting revenge on the world they perceive to have wronged them.

Then it also has one of the greatest TV shows ever made, Patriot, which is a nearly perfect dark comedy in every way and a scathing satire of the concepts of both patriotism and family loyalty, except they bury it so that no one will ever find it unless they explicitly search for it because it's so contrary to everything their far-right market share wants to see.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 2, 2024

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Alot of old movies I watch don’t seem to exist on any other streaming service though and im too lazy to pirate stuff so I like it

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pencilhands posted:

Alot of old movies I watch don’t seem to exist on any other streaming service though and im too lazy to pirate stuff so I like it

It's lazier to pirate.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Saganlives posted:

I've been running it in parallel with my Plex mostly because my friends and I like to group watch and Plex's watch together sync feature has almost never worked. Jellyfin on the other hand almost always does. It's also a small thing, but I like that in addition to the time left on a video it will tell you exactly what time it will finish based on the device's clock.

I’ve been really liking jellyfin, even over Emby, the thing it forked from.

That Plex also streams stuff and has a subscription sketches me out. I’m doing this to get out of dealing with that poo poo, you stream the media I stick on the drive, that’s it.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
jellyfin displays the wrong thumbnail for too much of my content. all the ted lasso episodes i have have a completely unrelated thumbnails. i have a movie called baby driver that displays the thumbnail for some bollywood movie. i googled around a bit and changed the server where it gets it thumbnail/movie description but couldn't get it to work. jellyfin seems to be exactly what i want if i can get that sorted out so if anyone has some tips that would be cool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every jellyfin app I tried wasn't quite right. It was like they had all collaborated to make sure that the UI stuff I wanted was divided equally amongst themselves, to make sure that they were each missing something.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Plex at least has a single payment lifetime subscription that regularly goes on sale for around $60

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Plex at least has a single payment lifetime subscription that regularly goes on sale for around $60

can't wait for the post in three years about how your lifetime subscription is no longer valid

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I tried jellyfin and emby and they're both super janky in my experience. Plex has the annoying streaming service for some reason but you can disable all of that in the UI. Its the only one of these apps that works with Dolby Vision files, too, unless something has changed recently. I've had some dumb issues with Plex periodically not wanting to play a specific file or forgetting my server until I update to the newest version but it mostly Just Works for now

I've never paid for it, is that just for remote streaming/transcoding? I just use it to serve poo poo up locally off my NAS

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

shirunei posted:

can't wait for the post in three years about how your lifetime subscription is no longer valid

Good news, loyal customer! We've updated your service! You can now enjoy limited advertisements inserted into your files or pay a low monthly fee to get ad free access!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've never paid for it, is that just for remote streaming/transcoding? I just use it to serve poo poo up locally off my NAS

I got it for hardware accelerated transcoding (which shouldn't be a premium feature that's bullshit but it becomes necessary if you're watching large enough files like 4k rips of hour-long shows) and for auto-converting HDR videos to non-HDR since my TV doesn't support HDR. Not sure what else it does though

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

I got it for hardware accelerated transcoding (which shouldn't be a premium feature that's bullshit but it becomes necessary if you're watching large enough files like 4k rips of hour-long shows) and for auto-converting HDR videos to non-HDR since my TV doesn't support HDR. Not sure what else it does though

Ah, that's probably why it hates a couple of files I have. I don't really understand why it would need to transcode anything since its served over a hardwire connection from my NAS but it also doesn't make sense to use an exclusively web based UI or to have a streaming service on your Legally Owned Media Files app. Still infinitely better than amazon prime

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm pretty behind the times, I just upload videos to a flash drive connected to my router and play them through the Roku Video Player app. I don't watch enough stuff to legitimate setting up a whole server. Works fine. I'm actually shocked Roku has a functional video player app, it's like they forgot to remove it from their store or crap it up with ads or a subscription or whatever.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Are you sure that's right? I have a shield that isn't powerful enough to software decode multiple h265 streams and yet it does so swimmingly. I just assumed it worked so well because it was hardware deciding.

Edit: hm the Plex docs seem to suggest you are correct. that is quite strange.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 3, 2024

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

shirunei posted:

I've never had anything do this to me, are there examples of it?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
on the TCL roku i have i did my best to disable all of the smart tv stuff by performing a factory reset and then never connecting to wifi. occasionally i will update the software via usb drive instead. it has a built in media player that plays every format ive thrown at it from attached USB media. subtitles worked nicely as well so that was all the functionality i needed. i used that before i eventually setup a plex server which i find even nicer (using the free version).

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

kdrudy posted:

If you have a business and need a bunch of money fast it’s basically a loan except it’s never paid off and also you can pretty much decide to default whenever. So use your imagination and it’s easy to see that it’s inevitable.

Actual examples probably:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lifetime%20subscriptions%20don%27t%20always%20last&t=ffip

That said I have two lifetime subscriptions and they’ve been good so far but I took them with the expectation I’ll be ripped off eventually.

One of the services the guy always provided grouchy resentful service and he got pissier after i switched to a lifetime plan specifically mentioning my lifetime plan being a bad deal for him in one support ticket. Secretly I find his unprofessional antics to be entertaining.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

kdrudy posted:

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/10/10/centurylink-customers-price-for-life-bills-increase/

Google cancels legacy Google Play Music subscriptions

https://advanced-television.com/2021/02/11/siriusxm-loses-lifetime-sub-lawsuit/

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1477138-filmora-just-cancelled-all-lifetime-licenses/

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'm having a bad weekend so any redtext I buy would be a realmad.txt and have the opposite of the intended effect, but if you have some good ideas or want to worship something in the thread I'll send you a gift cert to do it, just lmk.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

There's an even older SiriusXM lifetime sub that has was sold by XM that includes a lifetime subscription and access to all XM separately paid channels, but because SiriusXM is emphatically not XM (and is in fact just Sirius) that sub no longer includes separately paid content. My friend has that sub and has since XM started offering it, though to be fair that was like twenty fuckin years ago and only like $120 so I think she got her value out of it.

E: her sub still works on her newish radio in her Jeep and I can't imagine she paid a transfer fee to do it so :shrug:

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 3, 2024

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

skooma512 posted:

I’ve been really liking jellyfin, even over Emby, the thing it forked from.

That Plex also streams stuff and has a subscription sketches me out. I’m doing this to get out of dealing with that poo poo, you stream the media I stick on the drive, that’s it.

Plex has a 24 hour Dr Who channel so who is to say if it's bad or not.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Internet Old One posted:

If you have a business and need a bunch of money fast it’s basically a loan except it’s never paid off and also you can pretty much decide to default whenever. So use your imagination and it’s easy to see that it’s inevitable.

Actual examples probably:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lifetime%20subscriptions%20don%27t%20always%20last&t=ffip

That said I have two lifetime subscriptions and they’ve been good so far but I took them with the expectation I’ll be ripped off eventually.

One of the services the guy always provided grouchy resentful service and he got pissier after i switched to a lifetime plan specifically mentioning my lifetime plan being a bad deal for him in one support ticket. Secretly I find his unprofessional antics to be entertaining.

Ok I had two lifetime subscriptions but it seems HUSHED has cancelled my infrequently used lifetime subscription despite still offering them. So there you go I logged in today and my lifetime plan was cancelled. gently caress hushed.com!

So i have one lifetime subscription now and i get awful service cause the guy resents selling it to me (despite offering it up every few years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The only one I have is for Plex, and it's paid for itself by now. I looked at the ones for Nebula, but it would have taken 10 years to pay off and who knows if they're gonna be around by then.

Considering picking up the one for Bigbox, probably in the next sale.