Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Beverly Crusher is typing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I mean, the Prophets are just as bad as the Candle Ghost when it comes to consent - arguably worse.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If the Sisko teaches the Prophets anything, the first thing should be about why it was hosed up that they mindraped his mom into giving birth to him.

zoux posted:

Jake saying the n-word in FBTS

When did who do whatnow?

zoux posted:

as far as I can recall those are the only two instances in which anti-black racism from the 20th century is directly addressed in Star Trek,

I feel like there must've been some kind of reference to it in the Bell Riots or Time's Arrow, but that's the 19th and 21st centuries. Maybe something in Voyage Home?

Usually Star Trek scorns the idea of directly referencing real-world terrestial politics. Maybe Enterprise could've mentioned it at some point? There was an episode where they visited an old timey cowboy planet and an episode with T'pol's ancestor going to past Earth, that could've had something.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

SlothfulCobra posted:

an episode with T'pol's ancestor going to past Earth, that could've had something.

This one had an all white cast, zero minorities of any kind lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there must've been some kind of reference to it in the Bell Riots or Time's Arrow, but that's the 19th and 21st centuries. Maybe something in Voyage Home?

Usually Star Trek scorns the idea of directly referencing real-world terrestial politics. Maybe Enterprise could've mentioned it at some point? There was an episode where they visited an old timey cowboy planet and an episode with T'pol's ancestor going to past Earth, that could've had something.

I don't think they said anything out loud in the Bell Riots but it's strongly implicit throughout, you can tell the episode was cast with it in mind.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

SlothfulCobra posted:

When did who do whatnow?

Jimmy in Far Beyond the Stars posted:

Well, I've got news for you: today or a hundred years from now, it don't make a bit of difference. As far as they're concerned, we'll always be 'niggers'.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

as far as I can recall those are the only two instances in which anti-black racism from the 20th century is directly addressed in Star Trek, though I'm happy to stand corrected.

A lot of the racist dialogue in The Undiscovered Country is directly rooted in 20th century anti-Black racism (which is why Brock Peters and Nichelle Nichols refused to say some of it).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Actual Satan posted:

This one had an all white cast, zero minorities of any kind lol

Have you ever been to a Pennsylvania coal mining town?

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Sash! posted:

Have you ever been to a Pennsylvania coal mining town?

I mean even the scenes on the Enterprise too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They really should have done a whole episode of Janeway's gothic romance holonovel

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there must've been some kind of reference to it in the Bell Riots or Time's Arrow, but that's the 19th and 21st centuries.

Time's Arrow completely ignored the race issue. To pick the biggest example, no one in 1893 saw anything unusual about Guinan being an upper-class socialite, rubbing elbows with the literary elite.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Powered Descent posted:

Time's Arrow completely ignored the race issue. To pick the biggest example, no one in 1893 saw anything unusual about Guinan being an upper-class socialite, rubbing elbows with the literary elite.

Because it wasn't unheard of. Look at Mary Ellen Pleasant, for example.

And it makes sense for Clemens to have been the one hanging out with Guinan since he was very anti-racism.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/afrocosmist/status/1700164423120281680 I don't think I ever thought about it before, but drat, Quark had some wild future fashions on him. I'd be more willing to buy a suit from him than Garak.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
where do you think Quark got his outfits from?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, Quark is always dressed to the nines. The costume designer must've loved their work.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

where do you think Quark got his outfits from?

Garak's shop was literally within walking distance of his bar, :cmon:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zaroff posted:

The only problem with Sisko saying he will be back is that it doesn’t change anything!

Kasidy is still a single mother bringing up his child, but now she has to live her life wondering if today is the day Ben comes back.

I think the only reasonable way to handle it would be her going back to their house on Bajor and finding Ben inside cooking and asking her what took so long?
At this point I think the best way to handle it would be to just have Sisko and Kassidy and (possibly their kid, though they could conceivably be off living their own life at this point) show up in some future production chilling on Bajor, and throw in some dialogue about "Oh yeah he returned the day I gave birth and has been here ever since" or something. It's much to late to do the return storyline onscreen.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

Garak's shop was literally within walking distance of his bar, :cmon:

yeah, that's what i was getting at. SlothfulCobra said they would "be more willing to buy a suit from him than Garak." the intent of my question was to ask SlothfulCobra where they think Quark was getting those suits from, with the implication that Quark was getting them from Garak. i'm sorry i failed to clearly communicate that

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm sorry i failed to clearly communicate that

Just blame it on a glitch in the universal translator, that always works for me.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, Quark is always dressed to the nines. The costume designer must've loved their work.

I really want a Quark-level outfit. It's on my list of things to acquire if money isn't a problem.

Have they ever done a Star Trek episode of Project Runway or something?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Catwalk_(episode)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I don't remember which show it was, but back in the 1990's I saw a program that went though the best and worst dressed TV characters. On the worst dressed list: Neelix. The show compared his outfits to the fabric you'd see on sofas and suggested he take page from "Uncle Martin" from My Favorite Martian and go with a metallic one-piece suit.

Yes, it's weird that I can remember this after all these years.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 2, 2024

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And then there's the memes about Jake basically wearing the seats from a city bus

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The_Other posted:

I don't remember which show it was, but back in the 1990's I saw a program that went though the best and worst dressed TV characters. On the worst dressed list: Neelix. The show compared his outfits to the fabric you'd see on sofas and suggested he take page from "Uncle Martin" from My Favorite Martian and go with a metallic one-piece suit.

Always suspected there was something more than meets the eye going on with Boothby.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/afrocosmist/status/1700164423120281680 I don't think I ever thought about it before, but drat, Quark had some wild future fashions on him. I'd be more willing to buy a suit from him than Garak.

I love the last one in that tweet, the vaguely tie-dye pink-to-blue one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Quark did indeed say Trans Rights

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

loving hell I chortled

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phy posted:

And then there's the memes about Jake basically wearing the seats from a city bus

But on Jake they work? His later season clothing is strongly reminiscent of African kente cloth.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

CPColin posted:

Beverly Crusher is typing...

What a snipe. :lol:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I miss sci-fi with weird future fashion. It feels like everything now just goes for pretty much modern styles, but possibly grungier. Give me more catsuits and neon.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

My little headcanon is that Sisko is 'still missing' to the galaxy but yeah he's just been chilling back at their house and hasn't told anyone but family and friends.
Reminds me of the second X Files movie where the FBI is searching for Mulder at the start and it turns out he was just at Scully's house the whole time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Knormal posted:

I miss sci-fi with weird future fashion. It feels like everything now just goes for pretty much modern styles, but possibly grungier. Give me more catsuits and neon.

Unfortunately, as a society we've finally realized the future isn't going to be cool and fun, it's going to be boring and bad

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

Normally yes but 90s Trek human fashion has always whiffed it for me. TNG especially. DS9 was a bit better.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The_Other posted:

That's what the well-dressed Space Family was wearing in the 60s.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Knormal posted:

Modern fashion just went through a whole period of mainstreaming totalitarian, cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic fits. There's little distance between the stuff in Death Stranding, Cyberpunk 2020 or Deus Ex and reality seeing as they were designed by actual fashion designers and the pieces sometimes went on sale. It's played out now, but the early Veilance stuff was basically sci-fi villain cosplay.

Neon had a tiny moment in the 90s revival phase mainstream women's fashion are in. It kind of peaked with the Mugler x HM collab. Reminds me a bit of The Fifth Element, and I swear I saw something like those signal orange rubber suspenders in the store around the same time.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 3, 2024

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I swear that second photo is something the new Doctor Who is wearing this season!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Babylon 5 struck a good balance with its 23rd century civilian clothing. It's largely similar to modern stuff, but with enough small differences to be plausibly futuristic -- shirts don't have stand-up collars, jacket lapels are shaped differently, people almost never wear the top shirt button open -- but it's not SO out there that it becomes distracting. You could get away with wearing one of Morden's suits today, unlike the wacky getups the civilians on the Enterprise-D usually wore.

(That's the Human clothes, mind you. If we're talking Centauri fashion, all bets are off.)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I dunno...I'm pretty sure that blue tunic+unicorn leggings outfit wouldn't be too out of place on a modern 5th grader.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah those guys aren't bad. Some of the season one civvy wear in TNG is okay, although that might just be because of sheer numbers (we saw a lot more casual wear backgrounds on the enterprise in S1). But aside from that TNG tended to just shove everyone in awful unitards

Phy posted:

Jake had three distinct eras of outfit: hypercolor one-piece, bus seat fabric, and BROWN VEST

The vest era actually wasn't too bad as these things go.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It’s worth remembering that the costume design for the original series and the next generation (at least the first few seasons) of Star Trek were done by an incredibly influential, super acclaimed fashion designer, William Ware Theiss*.

Theiss infamously didn’t care about how wearable his ST costumes were, especially for women, but he did see his costumes as an opportunity to push design in ways he couldn’t in contemporary clothing on or off the runway. So some of it was wearable, some was meant to be very aspirational. In other words, Theiss set the standard for Star Trek clothing NOT being something you’d wear around the real world time of production.

*Theiss also helped defeat the Nazis by developing inflatable tanks for D-Day.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 3, 2024