Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/DomTheBombYT/status/1752852057386631422?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cool. I've been patiently waiting for a PC release eventually.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

What the gently caress.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bloober trying to make another PT but failing to realize how to make one with any grain of subtlety or nuance doesn’t bode well for SH2

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What I'd like to see do is them take what the learned from the Dark Pictures Anthology and add a formalized group-play setup.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Bloober trying to make another PT but failing to realize how to make one with any grain of subtlety or nuance doesn’t bode well for SH2

Bloober didn't make it. This was an internal team at Konami with support from studios like Hexadrive.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Selenephos posted:

Bloober didn't make it. This was an internal team at Konami with support from studios like Hexadrive.

Ah my mistake, well regardless Konami still sucks rear end for choosing to feel this was good so it gives me pause about how they think the remake comes off.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Doc help I’ve got silent hill disease my dead wife’s in the backseat you gotta help me doc

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CharlestonJew posted:

Doc help I’ve got silent hill disease my dead wife’s in the backseat you gotta help me doc

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CharlestonJew posted:

They look like Doctors to you?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

silent hill phenomenon is just a conspiracy invented to funnel more public funding into the meteorological sector

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

CharlestonJew posted:

...and I don't trust any of your nurses.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Abstract Daddy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real nasty thing. Makes your foreskin fall off. I'm talking spontaneous human circumcision. Turns a mountain into a hill if you catch my drift, and twice as useless. They call it Silent Hill. Terrible thing to see.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Never found the Daddy that Abstract, tbqh

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
For me, it’s always like piss

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friends and I played A Short Message tonight, and oof. What a real bad game. On one hand, you can sort of see what the developers were trying to say, but the message is so heavy handed and clumsily written that it's like a parody of these sorts of things. Plus the gameplay itself sucks, just walking from one document to another while the main character just keeps talking like an adult might think a gloomy teen talks like.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

Ah my mistake, well regardless Konami still sucks rear end for choosing to feel this was good so it gives me pause about how they think the remake comes off.

Bloomber are terrible. Abandon all hope.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I wish Konami had just sold off MGS, Castlevania, and SH to Sony.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Watched supergreatfriend's stream of this game and I don't understand what it's trying to be. It's PT-like 2.5-3 hour long experience mainly told through notes and chats but I found it to be incredibly obnoxious. There is something to the idea of a story that's mostly about teen jealousy, but it's told poorly and constantly veers off to talk about protagonist's crappy mom or a witch or to namedrop Silent Hill for no reason at all.

It feels very shallow and doesn't go for subtlety at all, instead shoting at you all the way through which made my head hurt. Unlike, say, SH2, it also feels like the whole point is in twists which is never how original Silent Hills functioned. Alas, it is how more modern games did this - basically by taunting you to guess what ACTUALLY happened. SH2 can be played and enjoyed when you know the reveal, and it still hurts. This game? I dunno, I just felt like my time was wasted.

A shame, because I have experienced a lot of what main character is going through. However, even with that, the story didn't resonate with me.

Better than Bloober's efforts to portray anything about depression, but I still think this is a lackluster walking sim that doesn't scare you, fails to be engaging since whole gameplay is pixel hunting memos, and didn't keep me interested. It looks good, and I hope at least one of the new SH projects is at least good. So far we've seen two that are misses and are nearing the third which looks bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Professor Wayne posted:

From today's State of Play, we have a free to play Silent Hill that looks neat if it's not all microtransactiony. And SH2 footage focused on combat that, uh, looks like combat all right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmEamyHS3c4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKICAIUHkA

Do Bloober games usually have combat? I was under the impression they're just walking simlulators so I can see dropping a trailer that shows "yes, this is still Silent Hill 2 and not a SH2 themed haunted house"

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

other than i think like one section of blair witch where you have to fend off a tree with a flashlight, none of the games bloober is known for have had combat, the most action you would get is a lackluster stealth section or three

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

0 rows returned posted:

other than i think like one section of blair witch where you have to fend off a tree with a flashlight, none of the games bloober is known for have had combat, the most action you would get is a lackluster stealth section or three

Or a baby running into a wall.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

I wish Konami had just sold off MGS, Castlevania, and SH to Sony.

Sony has exactly one good first party series. The design ethos they're pushing is godawful.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'll say this for Short Message, it was still better than almost everything released after 4.

I know I'm in the minority.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Diabetic posted:

I'll say this for Short Message, it was still better than almost everything released after 4.

I know I'm in the minority.

I haven't played it yet but I can't see anyone expecting much out of a free game. I'll take short and free over free with tons of MTX

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Medullah posted:

I haven't played it yet but I can't see anyone expecting much out of a free game. I'll take short and free over free with tons of MTX

Raise your expectations and hold your head up high. Fallout 1 is currently free on GOG for example, and Tim Sweeney blesses us with bountiful harvests every week on the Epic Games Store.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If The Short Message was just far more subtle, it'd be a lot better than it currently is. The environment design is really good even. But good God, it basically explains in excruciating detail what the symbolism is that despite having themes which could be good to explore, as well as presenting bullying and social media pressures in such a childish way as if it was written by people who have no clue what kind of pressures that teenagers go through nowadays, that I kinda don't care about Anita, Maya or Amerie. It has all the right pieces and just fumbles the execution.

Maybe I'm just old and it's resonant with much younger audiences. But it just didn't do it for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it's just subtle as half a brick in a sock and written by people who've been told what Twitter is like but never used it.
Just endemic of 'nothing can be left to the imagination' writing for people who are half following a stream of someone else playing while doing something else.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Anita is basically walking around saying "I don't like myself and have low self esteem" out loud constantly, the mother is shouting "I am a bad mother and I don't like you and I am very mean and abusive!" every time you see a message scrawled on the wall (trauma in this game manifests as mean things on the wall), and Maya speaks like a loving cryptid in every scene she's in.

Then Anita will see a monster, flee for her life into a room twenty feet away, close the door behind her and stand there while calmly texting her friend about how they're both on meds because they're both clinically depressed.

It's just such a bad game. The writing, the depiction of any sort of trauma, every character, it's got all the subtlety of a brick.

"I'm not a bad mother. Well, time to lock up my children in the closet. I'm so jealous of the people that are always out all the time, why can't I go out? Anyway I can't clean up because I'm out all the time. "

The fact that a town got foggy for a bit and now they call the feeling of being surrounded by fog "Silent Hill Syndrome" is an absolute joke.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Anita is basically walking around saying "I don't like myself and have low self esteem" out loud constantly, the mother is shouting "I am a bad mother and I don't like you and I am very mean and abusive!" every time you see a message scrawled on the wall (trauma in this game manifests as mean things on the wall), and Maya speaks like a loving cryptid in every scene she's in.

Then Anita will see a monster, flee for her life into a room twenty feet away, close the door behind her and stand there while calmly texting her friend about how they're both on meds because they're both clinically depressed.

It's just such a bad game. The writing, the depiction of any sort of trauma, every character, it's got all the subtlety of a brick.

"I'm not a bad mother. Well, time to lock up my children in the closet. I'm so jealous of the people that are always out all the time, why can't I go out? Anyway I can't clean up because I'm out all the time. "

The fact that a town got foggy for a bit and now they call the feeling of being surrounded by fog "Silent Hill Syndrome" is an absolute joke.

I mean... I joke with my nerdy friends all the time that I'm stuck in Silent Hill when it's really foggy here. But yeah, don't disagree. There is great environmental design and a good concept buried somewhere but every single way you can imagine how badly a story can be delivered, was delivered.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's actually almost funny how much Konami doesn't understand WHY people liked Silent Hill, just that they liked it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Selenephos posted:

I mean... I joke with my nerdy friends all the time that I'm stuck in Silent Hill when it's really foggy here. But yeah, don't disagree. There is great environmental design and a good concept buried somewhere but every single way you can imagine how badly a story can be delivered, was delivered.

Oh yeah 100% same. But it'd be like in the real world if foggy hallucinations got called Grand Banks Syndrome or something.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I don't think it can be overstated how stupid this part is. This isn't a case of "my life is falling apart, I am unraveling, I've succumbed to the demons" over the course of years. She goes from "I'm a good mom, but I need to date a man, I hope the kids like him :)" to locking the kids in a closet while the new boyfriend is over, to killing her son/hiding his body in a (spooky, bleeding, moving) fridge, all in less than six months. The diary entries start in February 2022, and the son is dead in July of the same year.

It's by far the worst part of the game, but the little bit of goodwill I had left for the game was completely drained away at that point. All the other interesting visual design points have been slowly replaced over time by the cliche late-Silent Hill overabundance of rusty grates + fiery hell, and the section is bookended at the beginning by the stupid Silent Hill Phenomenon document, and right after is the frustrating chase sequence where you have to collect the 8 pages drawings before Slenderman C.B. catches you

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
the best pt type game of them all is funnily enough a mario 64 romhack.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I think what Silent Hill is, and I'm no expert but I feel like Konami just completely missed what made it popular, farmed it out, and the bad ones made money because of the word of mouth about the series, is the fact that the entire premise was make a horror game in the style of American movies but from the Japanese perspective. None of them come close to the idea after the fourth one. They try to mimic the mimicry already done and ape off the movie.

The Short Message felt like a note from Konami of "please like us again" it's ham fisted in a lot of ways but we can all agree it's better than Homecoming, Ascension, and Downpour.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
There's a painful irony that a franchise that is listed as an inspiration for countless modern horror games is now releasing stuff that is horribly derivative of other contemporary horror games when it isn't trying to catch lightning in a bottle by recycling iconic moments from previous entries.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is what happens when you put franchises over creators. Silent Ahill was good because Team Silent (and also Kojima I guess) were good, not because fog and rusty grates are the best

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

There's like eight people in the credits and almost all of them are from external support studios like Hexadive, then Yamaoka and Ito are there as freelancers. The only actual Konami employee is the director which is about what I expected because Konami has zero internal dev teams.

I'm sure this will somehow be twisted around to being about Bloober Team at some point though.

I imagine they weren't given enough time or budget to do a good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Diabetic posted:

The Short Message felt like a note from Konami of "please like us again" it's ham fisted in a lot of ways but we can all agree it's better than Homecoming, Ascension, and Downpour.

Is it though? It's like arguing which type of dog poo poo is the least lovely