Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Memoirs of a Ghola

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HerLegacy posted:

Duncan Checks In

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Go Ask Alia

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lmao yeah 60s sci fi writers were a different breed that is for drat sure.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

More like "God I love cocaine. The only thing I love more is the boundless light of Islam, oh and writing about space pussy magic. Man, I am a horndog."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"Hmm, horndog. A psychic dog that projects horniness onto the courtesans of the space nobility."

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
tbf Herbert was like a 4/10 on the perv scale compared to his contemporaries

also maybe like a 5-6/10 on the drug scale, (with Dick off the scale, naturally)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

HerLegacy posted:

Duncan Checks In

fighting the awful twinned urge to make an AI-gen poster for this movie or else just crudely 'shop Jason's head onto an orangutan. i must recite the Litany against Posting...

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I wanna see a Green Brain movie

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

i must recite the Litany against Posting...

Story of my life. My posts are not my own.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

uber_stoat posted:

urge to make an AI-gen poster for this movie

But what the O.C. Bible should've said is: 'Thou shalt not make a machine to counterfeit a human mind.'

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

tbf Herbert was like a 4/10 on the perv scale compared to his contemporaries

also maybe like a 5-6/10 on the drug scale, (with Dick off the scale, naturally)

He wrote that short story about the guy who impregnates a living hill by scratching a wall inside a cave within it, right? Or was it someone else?

I have read it and can picture the cover (blue-green and some kind of short story collection, I think all his), but Google is being a real gently caress about this.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Wafflecop posted:

He wrote that short story about the guy who impregnates a living hill by scratching a wall inside a cave within it, right? Or was it someone else?

I have read it and can picture the cover (blue-green and some kind of short story collection, I think all his), but Google is being a real gently caress about this.

"there be pussy magic in them ther hills" by frank herbert, the first short story to win both the hugo and the penthouse submission reader's award

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bubblyblubber posted:

"there be pussy magic in them ther hills" by frank herbert, the first short story to win both the hugo and the penthouse submission reader's award

It'd be surprising if it was even the first tbh

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/alexqarbuckle/status/1753541014470463682?t=NFIvKr5na4UnMoRG2sMuIA&s=19

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Leto! Leto Atreides. "No Dick Leto"? "Palanquin Head"? C'mon buddy. Sietch Jacurutu. Leto II: I did the ancestral memory trick and became an abomination? Bing! Leto Atreides: got covered in sandtrout, almost ended humanity? Bing, again. Leto Atreides: I dated a Tleilaxu a couple times until you told me not to anymore? Well?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Leto II: I'm a god. Not THE God-- at least I don't think I am. It's the only possible explanation. I'm a supernatural being.

Siona: You're not a god. Take my word for it. This is ten thousand years of Orange Catholic school talking.

kalel fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 4, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bmac32 posted:

On His Majesty's Terrible Purpose

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

free hubcaps posted:

I wanna see a Green Brain movie

The Green Brain is a terrifying novel. So is Helstrom's Hive. So is Destination Void and its sequels. Under Pressure/Dragon in the Sea is a fantastic high-tech military/psychological thriller. Whipping Star/Dosadi Experiment are a fantastic pairing.

If you like Dune, try Herbert's other books, many of them are as good or better than Dune.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Honored :: reverend

Matres :: mothers

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

mllaneza posted:

The Green Brain is a terrifying novel. So is Helstrom's Hive. So is Destination Void and its sequels. Under Pressure/Dragon in the Sea is a fantastic high-tech military/psychological thriller. Whipping Star/Dosadi Experiment are a fantastic pairing.

If you like Dune, try Herbert's other books, many of them are as good or better than Dune.

Hell yeah. Hellstrom's Hive is fantastic. And Dosadi Experiment shows Herbert playing with many of the ideas that would ultimately manifest in Dune.

I also enjoyed Soul Catcher and The Godmakers.

The only novel of his I tried to get into (twice!) but couldn't was The Santaroga Barrier, but if someone vouches for it maybe I'll give it another shot.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Wafflecop posted:

You know what, I think it was actually a Philip Jose Farmer story. Now there's a horny sci-fi author. I should read Riverworld again, wonder if it holds up.

Edit: yep it's a couple of stories in Strange Relations. This cover is something
https://imgur.com/gallery/yZCwZh4

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 4, 2024

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

euphronius posted:

And this concludes our intensive 944 page course

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kalel posted:

Leto II: I'm a god. Not THE God-- at least I don't think I am. It's the only possible explanation. I'm a supernatural being.

Siona: You're not a god. Take my word for it. This is ten thousand years of Orange Catholic school talking.

Leto II, barely tolerating Moneo's sycophant nonsense

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

euphronius posted:

Holy Milfs

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Wizchine posted:

Hell yeah. Hellstrom's Hive is fantastic. And Dosadi Experiment shows Herbert playing with many of the ideas that would ultimately manifest in Dune.

I also enjoyed Soul Catcher and The Godmakers.

The only novel of his I tried to get into (twice!) but couldn't was The Santaroga Barrier, but if someone vouches for it maybe I'll give it another shot.

my dad considered it weak, we had a paperback of it, i never even tried, but he said it's worth getting through. This assumes i am accurately recalling a discussion that happened in 2004 but try to finish it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Riot Bimbo posted:

my dad considered it weak, we had a paperback of it, i never even tried, but he said it's worth getting through. This assumes i am accurately recalling a discussion that happened in 2004 but try to finish it.

Thanks!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

euphronius posted:

honored : revered : hallowed : holy : set apart : aloof : reclusive : shy : shai
matres : mother : yo mama : vast unsightly monster : sandworm : hulud

of course, it all makes sense now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i like the shai ones

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Cmon bby, don’t be so shai, you so hulud!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh, Caladan girls may dive for pearls
And Ixian gals are hotter,
But Shai Huluds like Arrakeen dudes,
And claim their bodies' water.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1754024411206652264?t=aEyO-yG5WCSWnQdjUl0bXw&s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leto II singing karaoke and pointing at Hwi Noree

Tleilaxu

Shai Shai

hush hush

I will die

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Spiced up Leto thrashing around on his palanquin in front of space Oprah shouting about how in love with Hwi he is.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A little bit of Moneo in my life
A little bit of Edric by my side
A little bit of Harah's all I need
A little bit of Alia's what I see
A little bit of Siona in the sun
A little bit of Noree all night long
A little bit of Jessica, here I am

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

A little bit of Moneo in my life
A little bit of Edric by my side
A little bit of Harah's all I need
A little bit of Alia's what I see
A little bit of Siona in the sun
A little bit of Noree all night long
A little bit of Jessica, here I am

That place where you dare not look you'll find a man

HAAAAAI

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I call it… Duncan No. 5(hundred)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
New thread title
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1755032495790182441?t=dylTu_thMhKx_s938quIfw&s=19