Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I don’t know if the music has been slightly remixed or if the sound levels have been altered from the originals, but I’m better able to tolerate listening to Mass Destruction now.

I’m fine with 99% of the tune, but that “digital bird tweet” fade out sound effect (it’s right after the ‘baby baby baby’ part of the intro) used to drive me loving nuts. It honestly sounded like someone was dicking around in the menus of Final Fantasy 7 or something when they were doing the recording and just said screw it, it’s staying there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

stev posted:

I mean that's a shitload better than telling us to buy the game a second time.

P3, FES, P3P, P3P remaster, P3R, whatever "Golden Royal" would be
SIXTH

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the answer is the only dlc on there that actually matters

whatever will i do without a bunch of costumes and music???

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah the menus feel kinda bad after just playing Royale. It's not unplayable, but it's definitely not nearly as responsive.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Harlock posted:

P4 > P5 > P3 in terms of soundtracks.

literally the direct opposite

DrManiac posted:

Yeah the menus feel kinda bad after just playing Royale. It's not unplayable, but it's definitely not nearly as responsive.

its better

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My only complaint is I do wish there was a bit more 'oomph' to the evokers going off but all the other animations surrounding the ability usage is great so it's not a huge deal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
have to say, with the benefit of hindsight i find myself preferring tartarus to p5's bespoke dungeons

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

have to say, with the benefit of hindsight i find myself preferring tartarus to p5's bespoke dungeons

I feel you but the worst part of the P5R dungeons weren't the designs but the drat puzzles esp the final one :v:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what is the difference between paying money to the shrine for academics versus studying if they both make time pass

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Reload's Tartarus with the QoL improvements has been tolerable so far, but the older versions can gently caress off. The Palace music alone makes P5R's implementation better without yet factoring in the other advantages.

As someone who loves messing around with Persona fusions, I find it lowkey irritating that I can't save inside the Velvet Room. I could have tried out 3-4 fusions in the time the doorway animation takes to run twice.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what is the difference between paying money to the shrine for academics versus studying if they both make time pass

I usually paid at the shrine for better SL points but it's up to you.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This is a good remake but it’s very 1:1 so far, like I feel it could’ve used just a touch more, I dunno, pizzaz? P5R still feels like a more modern production despite this being made after it.

Still a good time after only having played this as P3P

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have noticed they've made Yukari a bit less... unpleasant so far, which strikes me as kind of a misread of her whole deal. She's too straightforwardly nice now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

man nurse posted:

This is a good remake but it’s very 1:1 so far, like I feel it could’ve used just a touch more, I dunno, pizzaz? P5R still feels like a more modern production despite this being made after it.

I know what you mean. As great as the stuff they've done to Tartarus are, it's never going to compete with the more bespoke and dynamic dungeons in P5.

But to match P5 in terms of design they'd have had to build pretty much everything from the ground up, which would probably have taken several more years. :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Almost Smart posted:

I don’t know if the music has been slightly remixed or if the sound levels have been altered from the originals, but I’m better able to tolerate listening to Mass Destruction now.

I’m fine with 99% of the tune, but that “digital bird tweet” fade out sound effect (it’s right after the ‘baby baby baby’ part of the intro) used to drive me loving nuts. It honestly sounded like someone was dicking around in the menus of Final Fantasy 7 or something when they were doing the recording and just said screw it, it’s staying there.

Yes, I love mass destruction but that is 100% a Final Fantasy menu blip and it drove me crazy back in the day

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are you able to use different weapon types on the MC like in the original? I haven't gotten a chance to play enough to try myself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are you able to use different weapon types on the MC like in the original? I haven't gotten a chance to play enough to try myself.

Nope, shortswords only.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

stev posted:

I know what you mean. As great as the stuff they've done to Tartarus are, it's never going to compete with the more bespoke and dynamic dungeons in P5.

But to match P5 in terms of design they'd have had to build pretty much everything from the ground up, which would probably have taken several more years. :v:

tartarus was always better than palaces and is now far better. dungeon crawling ftw

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nope, shortswords only.

Fail

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am kind of feeling like making P3 Reload the second persona game I've ever played after P5R might be doing it a bit of a disservice. The setup for the story is not grabbing me nearly as much as P5R, the ost (including the background walkin around music that I'm sure I'll be hearing 50,000 times throughout a playthrough) isn't as catchy, and i'm not offended by the shooting in the head thing but it just feels too much like 2006 edgelord poo poo to have your guy pretend to shoot himself every time he casts a spell. I'm probably going to play a bit more to see if my opinion changes once I get more into the social stuff but I just might not be up to getting into another massive RPG at the moment.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like you completely miss the point if you think it's just some edgelord thing tbh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the shooting yourself thing is like the exact opposite of 'edgelord' whatever that means. the whole games about exploring the fear of death and saying everyone has it it isnt putting up some kind of front at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything the 'you rip off the mask.. and theres BLOOD...' thing in p5 is way more tryhard

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It certainly looks edgy on the surface, but the shooting yourself thing is something the game is completely sincere and serious about.

I think you're in for disappointment if you expect the game to live up to P5R, but that could be said for most anything. I played Portable after Royal and before Golden and I thought P4 was far more disappointing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think I’m lucky that 4G was my first Persona game because I absolutely loved it and then it turned out 3 and 5 were arguably even better

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

3 doesn't have a bear or a cat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

explosivo posted:

I am kind of feeling like making P3 Reload the second persona game I've ever played after P5R might be doing it a bit of a disservice.

it should be a very obvious step up in quality unless you have some sor to f derangement

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

stev posted:

3 doesn't have a bear or a cat.

That cat was a little annoying sometimes but that bear was the absolute loving worst.

3 has the best dog and that’s all that matters

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stux posted:

tartarus was always better than palaces and is now far better. dungeon crawling ftw

Gotta say, this

Dungeon diving until you’re almost out of resources feels way more focused on what I enjoy vs the palaces

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
me, completely out of SP, pulling myself along on my one functioning limb: we're FINISHED when i SAY we're finished

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
clairvoyant relic down on merciless before akihiko is back. in my element and thriving 🙏

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

if anything the 'you rip off the mask.. and theres BLOOD...' thing in p5 is way more tryhard

P5 also sort of masks the absence of any clear theme (beyond "some adults are assholes") with its episode nature. Hell, its ending even goes on to directly contradict whatever theme it seemed to have earlier in the story, with the main cast giving up their abilities and just leaving things to the grown-ups. There's some stuff in there about "people giving up on taking control of their own lives," but it's kind of garbled in general.

Like, I think P5/P5R still feels more enjoyable to play overall and is definitely better about keeping you engaged throughout each arc, but the idea that its narrative is more mature than P3's is very silly.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

explosivo posted:

I am kind of feeling like making P3 Reload the second persona game I've ever played after P5R might be doing it a bit of a disservice.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think you're in for disappointment if you expect the game to live up to P5R, but that could be said for most anything.

To be fair, 3 was an experimental ground-up reboot of the series with a mostly new development team, and the first attempt at the "modern" Persona formula, with the "life sim" structure basing the game around a school year calendar with social links. (1 and 2 were more typical RPGs with no calendar/social links, where you went straight from one dungeon to the next without much "downtime".) While it set the structure for 4 and 5 and got a lot of things "right" the first time, there were a lot of areas which are rough or poorly conceived ideas.
For example the dungeon crawling gameplay basically doesn't connect at all to the story. The story feels thinner than 4-5 and is not well paced, and IMO isn't thematically interesting in the way the other games are. The villains for most of the game are not really compelling either. Similarly there were some poor design decisions in the original that were addressed in later versions, like the inability to control your party in combat, reverse/broken social links, and forced romance with the female social links if you wanted to max them. Other decisions like only having random dungeons were due to limited development resources. I think a lot of love for 3 comes from hard-to-quantify stuff like nostalgia and "vibes" and of course personal preference. There are also a few things I think it does better than other games in the series.

But that said, it was their first try at the modern series, so it's not really fair to rank it against 4 and 5. And of course if you're comparing directly with P5, 5 was the product of a bigger and more experienced team with a much longer development cycle, and rather than being designed as an experimental ground-up reboot, combined good aspects from all 4 of the previous games. As far as remakes are concerned, they can only do so much if they want to stay faithful to the original.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the story of 3 is the strongest of the modern games. easily. its frankly not even remotely close at all.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Truly cannot imagine the mind of the person who says that p5 is more thematically satisfying than p3

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Item Getter posted:

reverse/broken social links,

these were not a bad design decision honestly and they existed to prevent the insane sociopath runs that you can do in 4 especially where you are egregiously mean to everyone for the entire game but everyone still loves you because there literally isn't a mechanic for people to respond negatively to you in any way

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
p5 spent like 90% of its runtime terrified of making any sort of point. slightly better for royal

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

the story of 3 is the strongest of the modern games. easily. its frankly not even remotely close at all.

Saagonsa posted:

Truly cannot imagine the mind of the person who says that p5 is more thematically satisfying than p3

This.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Persona 5's main story is a hot mess that is terrified of actually criticizing the status quo it was marketed as criticizing, but it has all my favorite character stories.

like killing death or whatever is not nearly as cathartic as badgering the Sakuras into admitting that they love each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
p5s main story is fine its the character stories that are completely deranged and decoupled from the points they set out to make