Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I know someone went on a show that gave them 100 hours to learn a new skill, then they had to compete to see who had learned it best... but with a real loving stupid twist.

In this case they had to learn to play a tune on a piano, despite never having played one before.
The twist was for the competition they were put in massive jollie jumpers, the keyboard was the size of a room and they had to play by jumping onto plank sized keys.

The idea of learning a skill then competing with it was super cool, but damned if I know what kind of drugs went into the second part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

carrionman posted:

I know someone went on a show that gave them 100 hours to learn a new skill, then they had to compete to see who had learned it best... but with a real loving stupid twist.

In this case they had to learn to play a tune on a piano, despite never having played one before.
The twist was for the competition they were put in massive jollie jumpers, the keyboard was the size of a room and they had to play by jumping onto plank sized keys.

The idea of learning a skill then competing with it was super cool, but damned if I know what kind of drugs went into the second part.

I can only think it was something that had to be so outlandish it wasn't possibly a skill anyone had or had any prior experience that might transfer to it.

Otherwise someone could just get in and have a big head start because maybe they played another instrument just not piano, or they just lied about never having played piano, etc...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

His current location is in Corcoran State Prison, from what I read?

Yes, and something like maximum security because he is a celebrity, and any inmate who wants to get instant cred only has to kill him. But a lot of the comments, ignoring all the ones about the victims and how they are only in it for money, go on and on about how he is being treated like some kind of serial killer because of where he's being put.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yes, and something like maximum security because he is a celebrity, and any inmate who wants to get instant cred only has to kill him. But a lot of the comments, ignoring all the ones about the victims and how they are only in it for money, go on and on about how he is being treated like some kind of serial killer because of where he's being put.

Oohh, I getcha.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

carrionman posted:

There was a great UK show called Faking It, about 20 years ago, which had a similar premise (the first part, not the psychosis-fuelled second part).

They'd take someone (the one I liked best was a male ballet dancer) and trained them up in something almost, but not quite, unrelated (in this case, pro wrestling) and they had to fool an expert who was trying to pick out the fake from a bunch of people who actually did what ever the activity was. The poor guy was so nervous....until they gave him a mullet via hair extensions, and then something just awoke in him.

Reality TV was kinda fun in the early days before producers figured out how to milk it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

My dumb reality TV story is that I had a family member who works as a boat architect go on an episode of one of those team challenge shows about building stuff out of junk as the Boat Expert . I dunno if he was trying to no-sell the drama on purpose, but every time the host asked his opinion on who was doing better, whose boat would work, what about this angle so and so is working on, etc, he just said "yeah team x has it, they did y, they're fine" all the way through as matter-of-factly as possible. Then team x's boat, in fact, did fine. It was pretty funny at the time and managed to kill any potential interest I would have had in reality shows because it made the dramatization so obvious.

I remember the UK series Scrapheap Challenge did an episode about teams making boats out of junk and the compere just straight up admitted that they bought some boat propellers and hid them in the pile because the contestants would be hosed without them
That was refreshingly honest

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Elissimpark posted:

They'd take someone (the one I liked best was a male ballet dancer) and trained them up in something almost, but not quite, unrelated (in this case, pro wrestling)

My man, I have worked with some major ballet companies around the world, and let me tell you those ballerinos are pound for pound some of the biggest bad asses I've ever met. Incredibly strong and agile, with incredibly high pain tolerances. Plus they already know how to throw people around and flip and slam them in incredibly violent looking ways without hurting them.

I want to look up this episode.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Just to make it clear, the whole thing with the jumpers was never mentioned until the last minute.

So the lady I knew spent those hundred hours building all the dexterity and muscle memory in her fingers, how to play the keys then.... SIKE, INTO THE BOUNCER WITH YOU.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
UK game shows manage to reach a level of scumminess and sadism unmatched anywhere else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ironhead posted:

Found it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TGG posted:

I was on DDD one time and really the only thing I noticed being phony was that Guy knew the owners beforehand but had to rehash the whole thing acting surprised.

Arguably that's a necessary evil, some minor artifice to disguise the boring realities of shooting a TV show. But only arguably because goddamn are most shows obsessed with playing everything off as 100% spontaneous, even the basic nuts and bolts of the show.

Haha, oh wow, the hosts of a popular reality TV program just happened to be in the area and decided to knock on MY door. And they even want to feature me in the episode? They have an entire film crew ready to go? Half of them are literally already inside my house filming the reverse angle of me answering the door? Serendipity!

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

My man.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ironhead posted:

My man, I have worked with some major ballet companies around the world, and let me tell you those ballerinos are pound for pound some of the biggest bad asses I've ever met. Incredibly strong and agile, with incredibly high pain tolerances. Plus they already know how to throw people around and flip and slam them in incredibly violent looking ways without hurting them.

Oh, no argument.

That's the one. The whole series was pretty good from memory, but that was a standout.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I remember the UK series Scrapheap Challenge did an episode about teams making boats out of junk and the compere just straight up admitted that they bought some boat propellers and hid them in the pile because the contestants would be hosed without them
That was refreshingly honest

Did they have to build motor boats or did the producers just forget that we have millenia of boats in human history before the invention of the motor?

Because if the challenge was "build a motor boat", then yeah, good on them for realizing that the contestants may need a hand with that bit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randalor posted:

Did they have to build motor boats or did the producers just forget that we have millenia of boats in human history before the invention of the motor?

Because if the challenge was "build a motor boat", then yeah, good on them for realizing that the contestants may need a hand with that bit.

Yeah they always gave them a specific design challenge and then they race against the other team, in this case I'm pretty sure it was to build a motor boat to go around a course. I know that in another episode the challenge was to build paddlewheel boats

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Feb 2, 2024

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Elissimpark posted:

Oh, no argument.

That's the one. The whole series was pretty good from memory, but that was a standout.

I'd memory holed this show, it was great.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Elissimpark posted:

They'd take someone (the one I liked best was a male ballet dancer) and trained them up in something almost, but not quite, unrelated (in this case, pro wrestling) and they had to fool an expert who was trying to pick out the fake from a bunch of people who actually did what ever the activity was.
Just got around to watching this, and it's really weird how half-committed they are to kayfabe. Like, they fully acknowledge that wrestling is a performance in one scene, then act like it's a real contest in the next.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Wrestling and kayfabe are hilarious. I mean you KNOW it's fake, but also its Wrestling. You don't care.

It's like when celebrities are interviewed by like Elmo or Kermit or some other Muppet. Nobody talks to the puppeteer yknow?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Wrestling and kayfabe are hilarious. I mean you KNOW it's fake, but also its Wrestling. You don't care.

It's like when celebrities are interviewed by like Elmo or Kermit or some other Muppet. Nobody talks to the puppeteer yknow?

Or assaults them

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'll suplex Miss Piggy, I don't even give a gently caress

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's remarkable, in the worst possible way, that Vince McMahon has managed to be so outlandishly evil in real life that his cartoonish evil has now aged poorly. I consider his GIFs pretty much off-limits at this point.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I ain't fighting Miss Piggy. I got too much to live for.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Brawnfire posted:

I'll suplex Miss Piggy, I don't even give a gently caress

Not if she suplexes you first

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Someone's gotta break the ice

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Sir Lemming posted:

It's remarkable, in the worst possible way, that Vince McMahon has managed to be so outlandishly evil in real life that his cartoonish evil has now aged poorly. I consider his GIFs pretty much off-limits at this point.

If we cull all the lovely celebrities there won't be any gifs left

No more Vince
Say goodbye to Snoop
See you later Cosby
Farewell to Mengele

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Whatever shall we do without Mengele gifs

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

the_steve posted:

Not if she suplexes you first

Ah, foreplay.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Please do not cuck Kermit the Frog

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AceOfFlames posted:

Whatever shall we do without Mengele gifs

Mengele Gif is my favourite Star Wars character.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mengele Gif is my favourite Star Wars character.
It's pronounced gizz music

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Splicer posted:

It's pronounced gizz music
Big Gizz was a swoop bike gang leader

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Swoop! There's Big Gizz!
Swoop! There's Big Gizz!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

credburn posted:

If we cull all the lovely celebrities there won't be any gifs left

No more Vince
Say goodbye to Snoop
See you later Cosby
Farewell to Mengele

What happened with Snoop?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Josef bugman posted:

Was wondering that myself, I thought he was one of the good celebrities.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Josef bugman posted:

Repeated unapologetic use of the n-word

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I heard he smokes pot

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Josef bugman posted:

Known associate of convicted felon Martha Stewart

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Josef bugman posted:

Gave a giant vegetable grower the reefer madness

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I know he killed a guy, but come on. When in Germany last summer, it was pretty fun to have everybody join in once The Next Episode started.

Pretty sure Mengele would have just killed the vibe, being honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Josef bugman posted:

Steelers and Cowboys fan