Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m still curious about the reasoning behind how the How to Train Your Dragon anchor ride is just another roller coaster and not just copying Flight of Passage, an overwhelmingly popular attraction whose literal central concept is… flying on the back of a dragon.

Is it that Universal wants to stubbornly differentiate themselves from Disney? Are there too many copyright barriers? Are they unable to adequately replicate the technology? Or unwilling because of cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here's a neat relevant story.

A car wash near my house had a '59 Cadillac as part of the theming.

The owner sold the car wash and someone bought the Cadillac. That person decided to try his luck and sell it online. Universal Studios Orlando purchased it. They're going to turn it into an Ecto-1 replica.

That got me thinking what they'll use it for. Universal doesn't have any Ghostbusters rides or anything planned that I know of. It would be weird to just stick it somewhere in one of the parks. Have they hinted at a Ghostbusters haunt for HHN?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They do have a bunch of random street parked iconic cars already. Usually there’s costumed performers for photo ops near them a few times a day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

They do have a bunch of random street parked iconic cars already. Usually there’s costumed performers for photo ops near them a few times a day.

Where? I was there a few months ago and I totally can't remember them. The only one I can remember is from an old trip and they had the Blues Brothers and replica of whatever car they had.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
From what I understand, How To Train your Dragon has that spinny Six Flags-esque flat ride and a boat ride. Yeah, why doesn't it have a flight simulator and/or a flying roller coaster?

Meanwhile, the Monsters land has a ride similar to the Forbidden Journey ride system (possibly without the screen portions), and a... spinning coaster. Seems like the ideal place for a boat ride though? Why a spinning coaster?

And then of course, Mario Kart is very misguidedly an augmented reality shooter dark ride rather than a fast thrill ride. The DK roller coaster does seem appropriate though. But overall, some very odd choices for ride systems.

Aphrodite posted:

The DeSantis case has been dismissed.

The gist is that in the US it’s perfectly legal to pass laws maliciously as long as you had the right to pass that law to begin with, which he did.

Big oof. Hope this isn't the end of this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Where? I was there a few months ago and I totally can't remember them. The only one I can remember is from an old trip and they had the Blues Brothers and replica of whatever car they had.

You know, I might actually be thinking of LA.

But in Florida I’ve definitely seen the Mystery Machine. Studios side, the route from the main shop towards Mel’s.

Edit: Nope, googled it and they also do the Simpsons RV there too.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 1, 2024

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Here's a neat relevant story.

A car wash near my house had a '59 Cadillac as part of the theming.

The owner sold the car wash and someone bought the Cadillac. That person decided to try his luck and sell it online. Universal Studios Orlando purchased it. They're going to turn it into an Ecto-1 replica.

That got me thinking what they'll use it for. Universal doesn't have any Ghostbusters rides or anything planned that I know of. It would be weird to just stick it somewhere in one of the parks. Have they hinted at a Ghostbusters haunt for HHN?

40th Anniversary is coming. We're getting a Tribute Store on the level of the Jurassic Park one last year.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aphrodite posted:

The DeSantis case has been dismissed.

The gist is that in the US it’s perfectly legal to pass laws maliciously as long as you had the right to pass that law to begin with, which he did.
Off to the supreme court I guess :shrug:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

From what I understand, How To Train your Dragon has that spinny Six Flags-esque flat ride and a boat ride. Yeah, why doesn't it have a flight simulator and/or a flying roller coaster?

Meanwhile, the Monsters land has a ride similar to the Forbidden Journey ride system (possibly without the screen portions), and a... spinning coaster. Seems like the ideal place for a boat ride though? Why a spinning coaster?

And then of course, Mario Kart is very misguidedly an augmented reality shooter dark ride rather than a fast thrill ride. The DK roller coaster does seem appropriate though. But overall, some very odd choices for ride systems.

Big oof. Hope this isn't the end of this.

HTTYD also has a roller coaster. The main ride in Monsters is literally a forbidden journey clone with different setpieces. Like, even the layout is the same, they just reskinned a known good ride system. The spinning coaster is because they needed another attraction after they couldn’t make the second potter ride work, and they already had Mack on the phone. That spot was originally supposed to be a stage show.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's nice to see them in retreat from Fantastic Beasts because, y'know, gently caress the wizarding world but gently caress that franchise in particular, but also a hearty lol at whoever is having to put a modern-day government building in England and 1920s France in the same land and make it make any sort of sense, let alone be tonally consistent. Good luck, buddy.

Also no walk-through renders or even concept art of anything but the hub world means we don't know if they're doing full immersion on the lands, except for Nintendo World because we've already seen that. It's the new paradigm so I'd expect it, but who knows? And seriously, how are they gonna pull off a 70 year timeskip and two different countries?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I think they’re either gunna have to build some emergency support flat rides to deal with demand or this park is going to have a lot of pissed off people in ridiculous queues.

Also cloning FJ seems like such a swing and a miss. I can understand wanting to use the Robo Arms again but not moving the tech on doesn’t scream ground-breaking park.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This is the same resort that cloned Spiderman 14 years later to build Transformers.

Also Kong and F&F. BTTF was reused for Simpsons. Hanna-Barbera / Jimmy Neutron/ Minions was reused over and over then they opened a similar attraction for Jimmy Fallon.

Universal doesn't do a lot of innovation. They do some... then reuse it for decades.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Zero One posted:

This is the same resort that cloned Spiderman 14 years later to build Transformers.

Also Kong and F&F. BTTF was reused for Simpsons. Hanna-Barbera / Jimmy Neutron/ Minions was reused over and over then they opened a similar attraction for Jimmy Fallon.

Universal doesn't do a lot of innovation. They do some... then reuse it for decades.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dugong posted:

I think they’re either gunna have to build some emergency support flat rides to deal with demand or this park is going to have a lot of pissed off people in ridiculous queues.

Also cloning FJ seems like such a swing and a miss. I can understand wanting to use the Robo Arms again but not moving the tech on doesn’t scream ground-breaking park.

Don't think it's a straight clone. It's a newer generation kuka arm for sure, also the loading bay is designed to be circular rather than a straight line like FJ. It also doesn't have the static travel screens like FJ either (all of this was in Alicia's reporting from like September). Calling it a clone feels kind of disingenuous with the details we have.

Part of me feels like there's not enough flat rides, but it does look like there's a few shows that'll help. There's also a number of expansion pads.

That Potter world is a mess though. MoM is fine, but as mentioned, they're in entirely different time periods. You basically have a ride that has zero reason to exist in that land.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Forbidden Journey uses the G2.

There's a G3 concept that's the G2 system running on a full-on rollercoaster. It's probably something in the middle of those.

Edit: Although I guess any version that runs on a non-flat track would technically be the G3, just I doubt it'll have as much vertical movement as the old concept videos.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 1, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Zero One posted:

Transformers is not a direct clone of Spider-Man, they have different layouts. Transformers even has a lift system because it traverses two floors. Transformers is also less reliant on physical sets and more reliant on simulated speed than Spider-Man.

Also, Disney does this too. How many omnimovers do they have? Several, and it used to be even more. How many slow moving boat rides? How many "move up and down while spinning in a circle" rides?

Star Tours and Body Wars were the exact same simulators.

Rise, Runaway Railway, and Ratatouille are also all the same type of ride system.

Numerous rides are a re-skin of an old ride.

There's more examples. The actual issue is that Universal has a problem with choosing a ride system that doesn't serve the IP well.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Transformers is not a direct clone of Spider-Man, they have different layouts. Transformers even has a lift system because it traverses two floors. Transformers is also less reliant on physical sets and more reliant on simulated speed than Spider-Man.

Also, Disney does this too. How many omnimovers do they have? Several, and it used to be even more. How many slow moving boat rides? How many "move up and down while spinning in a circle" rides?

Star Tours and Body Wars were the exact same simulators.

Rise, Runaway Railway, and Ratatouille are also all the same type of ride system.

Numerous rides are a re-skin of an old ride.

There's more examples. The actual issue is that Universal has a problem with choosing a ride system that doesn't serve the IP well.

Not trying to argue with you since you’re way more well-versed in this, but all those are great examples of how Disney constantly innovates. Body Wars/Star Tours was a completely new ride system from ILM and aeronautical companies. Universal has yet to figure out trackless rides and Disney has pumped out three wildly different ones over the last 5 years. Guardians is totally unparalleled, and so is FoP. Hell, even Swirling Saucers is a new take on the teacup ride.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rise/Remi & runaway are quite different

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can actually get your own FoP off the shelf from the same company as the Robocoaster that Forbidden Journey uses.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Aphrodite posted:

You can actually get your own FoP off the shelf from the same company as the Robocoaster that Forbidden Journey uses.

Call me when the Forbidden Journey vehicles respond to the story like living breathing animals and have a cool little screen for me to gently caress with while I wait for the ride to start :colbert:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Aphrodite posted:

For those who are interested: https://www.simworx.co.uk/products/

The epitome of "We have Spiderman/Soarin/Flight of Passage at home..."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

I know what you meant but now I'm thinking about people just going to Best Buy to get a dark ride installed in the basement.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CapnAndy posted:

It's nice to see them in retreat from Fantastic Beasts because, y'know, gently caress the wizarding world but gently caress that franchise in particular, but also a hearty lol at whoever is having to put a modern-day government building in England and 1920s France in the same land and make it make any sort of sense, let alone be tonally consistent. Good luck, buddy.

Also no walk-through renders or even concept art of anything but the hub world means we don't know if they're doing full immersion on the lands, except for Nintendo World because we've already seen that. It's the new paradigm so I'd expect it, but who knows? And seriously, how are they gonna pull off a 70 year timeskip and two different countries?

the entire land itself is all 1920's Wizarding Paris.

You use the Floo network to go from Paris to the UK Ministry of Magic, so internally that makes sense. The whole time shift is where it gets wildly stupid.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hazo posted:

Not trying to argue with you since you’re way more well-versed in this, but all those are great examples of how Disney constantly innovates. Body Wars/Star Tours was a completely new ride system from ILM and aeronautical companies. Universal has yet to figure out trackless rides and Disney has pumped out three wildly different ones over the last 5 years. Guardians is totally unparalleled, and so is FoP. Hell, even Swirling Saucers is a new take on the teacup ride.

In most cases these days, the ride vehicles, ride system, and often the ride track are designed and built by a third party. It's common enough that it is definitely the rule rather than the exception. This is the case with all three recent trackless rides at WDW. I don't know the company offhand though. In the case of Rise, they of course had to work with WDI to incorporate the drop and motion base in the drop lift. For what it's worth, as mediocre or lame as they are, the trackless truck/bus on Kong/Fast were actually designed and built in-house by Universal Creative.

Swirling Saucers and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree are also a skinned off-the-shelf flat ride.

Upsidads posted:

Rise/Remi & runaway are quite different

If we're just discussing ride systems, this is getting a bit pedantic. However, Disney was smart to make the ride experience and visuals on Rise, Runaway Railway, and Ratatouille very different while Transformers is obviously a bit too similar to Spider-Man. They did change it up with the Jurassic World ride in Universal Beijing, though, which uses a newer version of the Spider-Man/Transformers ride vehicles and ride system but is more like combining Dinosaur at DAK with Spider-Man.

In general, for whatever reason, Disney is very good about picking a ride system that makes sense for the IP, while Universal often seems like they're theming around whatever deals they got from the manufacturers. But Universal is not without its innovative contributions to the theme park industry. The original USF lineup was all cutting edge in 1990. Spider-Man in 1999 and Forbidden Journey were jaw-droppingly high tech and envelope pushing.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also the ride system is a complete prototype so 100% guarantee it’ll be broken down half the time for the first six months to a year till they work out the kinks.

e: I’m referring to the new potter ride, because it’s yet another case of them trying to do something different and completely untested which means nobody knows how it’s gonna break yet

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 3, 2024

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah my roommate opened gringotts and it was wild how under capacity they ran for months. I think the idea was to run with something like 10 RVs and they had 3 on opening day.

Numbers aren’t accurate because I’m remembering conversations from like a decade ago but it was something like that.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Something else to keep in mind about the decision making for opening day rides at EU is that they’re actively trying *not* to replicate the failures of the first UO park, where literally none of the major attractions worked on opening day. I’m sure they’ve got more innovative stuff in the pipeline, but they want poo poo that works for their shiny new six billion dollar theme park.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's a good point. An entire park full of new concept rides that are down all the time would be a PR disaster.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

In most cases these days, the ride vehicles, ride system, and often the ride track are designed and built by a third party. It's common enough that it is definitely the rule rather than the exception. This is the case with all three recent trackless rides at WDW. I don't know the company offhand though. In the case of Rise, they of course had to work with WDI to incorporate the drop and motion base in the drop lift. For what it's worth, as mediocre or lame as they are, the trackless truck/bus on Kong/Fast were actually designed and built in-house by Universal Creative.

A cursory Google confirms all three trackless rides were designed in-house by Imagineering. Nobody seems to know exactly who the manufacturers are, likely because there were several involved in the wildly complex ride systems, but I’ve seen unsourced claims they’re from Roush Entertainment and ETF among others.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We’re probably going to Disney World again in the fall with our then 3 and 5 year old. Probably going to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter, as that seems like a nice vibe/price balance. I do want to see if there end up being good Wilderness Lodge deals but am not holding my breath.

Unfortunately we’re starting to get locked into the school year calendar, so we are probably going to have to take advantage of Veterans Day weekend (fly Saturday, parks Sun-Tues, back on Weds to miss two days of school total). This seems like kind of the best time to go in the fall if you have to attempt to play ball with the school year?

I did read something about Jersey Week, but a quick look at the state’s school calendar makes it look like that’s mostly the week prior to when we’re going? Regardless it should be better than Columbus Day weekend from the looks of it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I never heard of Jersey week. I've been to WDW a few times during that week and things didn't seem all that bad.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Jersey Week is real but it's not as bad as an actual holiday. I've been suring Veterans Day week and the crowds were fine, maybe a little heavier than normal if the holiday falls adjacent to a weekend. What was really crazy was that it was still 100 degrees that week.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol that they don’t clone the drat mummy ride for their universal monsters poo poo

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
why would they build a slow rear end indoor launch coaster when they have kuka arms

and four other launch coasters in the park

(I love Mummy, it's actually my favorite ride and I'll single rider it like three times in a row)

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I got into WDW discourse/planning through Disney Food Blog five years ago and appreciated the more vibes-based angle they take. I don't really know anything about Universal but we're going there at the end of the year so I'd like to bone up a little. Is there a similar channel or site that takes a similar approach?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coasterphreak posted:

(I love Mummy, it's actually my favorite ride and I'll single rider it like three times in a row)

Same. Once we finished up islands of adventure and it was all closing and there was I believe 10 minutes left so I said to the ticket person let me in imma run to the mummy

They let me and I got the very last go. Sat in the front and I swear they sped it up lol. It was kinda scary in the front ngl.

I want someone to tell me if they do speed up the ride if youre one of the last if not the very last ride of the night because goddamn it feels like it lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rollercoaster itself in LA is better than the Orlando one, but it doesn't have Brendan Fraser or the fire room so I like Orlando's better overall.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t agree with that. Orlando is faster, more intense and has more stuff.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The real points against the LA one come from the fact they got rid of E.T. to put it in :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tbh I wish they would nuke the other ET for another Mummy ride.