Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Sure, but that is the point. Because it's under the brand true detective people are already looking at what is the real world explanation for the visions. Because that is the expectation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sickening posted:

Some of yall are so loving bored you are going to hatewatch the entire season.
C'mon, this isn't Star Trek.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's been borderline jarring to see, as I only really know the actor from Deadwood where he's playing the West's biggest sweetheart. Sal, what happened my dude

My brother-in-Christ, can I interest you in a television show called Too Old To Die Young?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Season 3's mystery is like the opposite of this season's, in so many ways.

It was an absolutely fine season.

The only thing I have against it is that the recap sites and Twitter took the exact wrong thing from the spectacular ending. 'Ooooh. So he never left Vietnam. This was all just in his head. Like a test for the afterlife.' No. That's not literal. I don't even care if Nic came out and says it was meant to be.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

The only thing I have against it is that the recap sites and Twitter took the exact wrong thing from the spectacular ending. 'Ooooh. So he never left Vietnam. This was all just in his head. Like a test for the afterlife.' No. That's not literal. I don't even care if Nic came out and says it was meant to be.
agreed.
also some tropes in theorizing are universal.
-they are dead
-it was all a dream
etc

its like the background radiation of tv show speculation. every single show, they could be dead. home improvement? they are all actually dead.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I googled TD season 4 episode list because one of my podcasts said it was taking a week off for the Super Bowl according to IMDB (IMDB still shows this) but there are conflicting results based one what source you look at.

Also there are mini episode summaries that pop up for 4-6 which contain mild spoilers so be careful out there if you don’t want to see those (I didn’t).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I may not be the only one, but I am one of seemingly very few who likes that know what I'm going into.

For most things I'll want a broad (spoiler-ed!) outline of how a movie or show starts and finishes. For many I want to read the full summary before diving in.

Lets me focus on the details. You know how when you had to read Shakespeare in school and the student editions had the first page outlining everything that happens right through to 'Juliet wakes up, and believing Romeo to be dead, takes her own life. Romeo in turn wakes and does the same.'? Or how you go to an opera and the sheet they give you tells you the story? Yeah. Maybe I picked it up from there.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You're probably right, unfortunately. But seriously, in the last month I saw a dude where his wounds -- which I can't even describe because their extent and severity make them so specific that it might entail a literal HIPAA violation to do so -- were such that a decade ago I would have laughed if I saw a show where someone with them were still living. Just Bad Taste levels of what-the-fuckery.

I haven't come across anything like that recently. There was a patient my best friend had years back who woke up after multiple amputations and serious abdominal surgery and all she could do is cry and wail. :(

But for me the only state-of-someone thing has been when I was asked to see a patient last weekend and was told 'Their chart says [age in late 20s] but they'll be the in the middle looking 60-something.' And it wasn't an exaggeration. Maybe an understatement.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bright Bart posted:

WHAT!?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

s1=they think they are dead but are alive
s2=they think they are alive but are dead (egypt mythos)

we can extend this but it doesn't really work lol:
s3=they think they are alive and are alive
s4=they think they are dead and are dead

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lampsacus posted:

s1=they think they are dead but are alive
s2=they think they are alive but are dead (egypt mythos)

we can extend this but it doesn't really work lol:
s3=they think they are alive and are alive
s4=they think they are dead and are dead

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Jacob’s Ladder scenario.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know how Hays was able to imagine iphones and Reagan and 90s fashion shorts, but if my whole life was some guy’s dream, it would explain a lot.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Jacob’s Ladder scenario.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Bright Bart posted:

I may not be the only one, but I am one of seemingly very few who likes that know what I'm going into.

For most things I'll want a broad (spoiler-ed!) outline of how a movie or show starts and finishes. For many I want to read the full summary before diving in.

Lets me focus on the details. You know how when you had to read Shakespeare in school and the student editions had the first page outlining everything that happens right through to 'Juliet wakes up, and believing Romeo to be dead, takes her own life. Romeo in turn wakes and does the same.'? Or how you go to an opera and the sheet they give you tells you the story? Yeah. Maybe I picked it up from there.

This is totally valid if you vastly appreciate the sort of craft that goes into producing a show or movie (the acting, the costumes, the sets, the cinematography, the editing, the soundtracking, etc) more so than the storytelling. I think for most people it's the storytelling that comes first, and everything else is more secondary, so spoilers are a big problem for most. But kudos to you for enjoying media in a way that suits your engagement. Some people find artistry in a tool, while others are more interested in using a tool for its purpose.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

a common conceit is s2, at least attempted, to invert s1 in a few ways. you know, to be all edgy and subvert expectations. s2 has three leads who are 'already dead' but don't realize it, and when they do then the show dramatises it by having them die on screen (all shot). this was written to be the mirror of s1 where the two leads are all like "'hey wow the lights winning" "maybe we had it all and should have appreciated it". but i don't know, this is where you start to go down the rabbit hole of fan theories and such aha. there is also a LOT of egyptian/underworld motifs in s2 that supports this.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't mind the supernatural but don't see the need to introduce it when it's not necessary. In SE02 it's enough that they're "dead men walking".

The interpretation I mentioned for season 3 isn't out of nowhere to be fair. The last shot is of him back in Vietnam, with what may appear to be a 4th wall break and/or the same expression he'd given earlier. But it works far better as a metaphor. And also, if you know how memory in dementia works, is more chilling than anything else that season.

It's overall a terrific ending:

First we learn what happened with the boy's death. It's interesting & sad but 1/20th as dark as what we expected.

Next we get a potential break in solving the last piece of the puzzle, not due to coincidence but rather only made possible by character growth we've seen throughout the season.

After this we have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory at the last moment.

A minute later we realize that this is almost certainly for the best.

We get one final scene showing Hay's love for his wife.

And then a final shot that can mean a dozen different things, of which him being dead would be the least interesting.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

I don't mind the supernatural but don't see the need to introduce it when it's not necessary. In SE02 it's enough that they're "dead men walking".

The interpretation I mentioned for season 3 isn't out of nowhere to be fair. The last shot is of him back in Vietnam, with what may appear to be a 4th wall break and/or the same expression he'd given earlier. But it works far better as a metaphor. And also, if you know how memory in dementia works, is more chilling than anything else that season.

It's overall a terrific ending:

First we learn what happened with the boy's death. It's interesting & sad but 1/20th as dark as what we expected.

Next we get a potential break in solving the last piece of the puzzle, not due to coincidence but rather only made possible by character growth we've seen throughout the season.

After this we have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory at the last moment.

A minute later we realize that this is almost certainly for the best.

We get one final scene showing Hay's love for his wife.

And then a final shot that can mean a dozen different things, of which him being dead would be the least interesting.

yeah agreed.its a really good ending, especially when you lay it out like that. the last shot just rules. i am partial to the meaning 'he was always a scout, he was always in the jungle'

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I loved the ending of S3 a lot. The titular detectives solve the case but don't find the girl, and when he's just about to find her, he's too late and sick to realize it. Yet, we're shown while he's at the end of it, he's reconnected with an old friend and won't be alone. And more than that, while the girl isn't found, we're shown enough to walk away with the understanding she's found a home and is going to be ok as well.

It's a very cosmic karmic good ending, and a lot more interesting than if he showed up and god to introduce himself to her.

Given the show was about a man slowly losing his memory and that it did the time shifting, it's insane that anyone would assume the last shot is literal. Obviously it's a combination of a memory he might have had while in the army and metaphor for that while he's slowly losing himself, one part of that is a jungle combat that's haunted him since.

Just in general, I think stories that go for cosmic over obvious karma (i.e. a bad guy gets away, but faces consequences down the line vs. getting shot in the face by the protagonists) are more interesting and a hair more realistic. First season delivers that in spades, as does Fargo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why does the police station have so many trophies? What are they for?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why does the police station have so many trophies? What are they for?

They're participation awards.

Wahhabi Lobby
Nov 3, 2020
https://x.com/jimmyfalungong/status/1751815606096077006?s=46

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That episode went hard

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
I appreciate that they're leaning hard into psychological horror and jump scares with ghosts instead of just dabbling. It's risky when a show starts to get weird but I digged the vibe of this episode.

That said though I'm gonna need to see some plotlines resolved real fast because it's feeling like the wheels are just spinning for the sake of cramming more hallucinations of dead people to build atmosphere. But like I get it. poo poo's spooky and cosmic. Let's move this plot forward.

LaserPrinter69 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 5, 2024

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm hoping that things don't get too rushed at the end. The mystery really isn't that complex and just comes down to finding Clark, who can probably answer the questions about what happened to both the scientists and Annie K. The detectives are closing in and the crazy German guy told them he's in the Night Country, which probably means the caves. Some plotlines definitely got resolved in this episode at least.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Qaavik is really the most solid dude. I hope nothing happens to him, like racist wife-beater cannery guys killing him to send a message to Navarro or an ancient evil taking him because Navarro dropped that magic rock on the floor of his place when he reset her broken finger.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I appreciate that they're leaning hard into psychological horror and jump scares with ghosts instead of just dabbling. It's risky when a show starts to get weird but I digged the vibe of this episode.

That said though I'm gonna need to see some plotlines resolved real fast because it's feeling like the wheels are just spinning for the sake of cramming more hallucinations of dead people to build atmosphere. But like I get it. poo poo's spooky and cosmic. Let's move this plot forward.

Jump scares with ghosts have been the worst part of horror for like the last two decades

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Jump scares with ghosts have been the worst part of horror for like the last two decades

it feels very lazy in this show. just kinda boring. I have no idea what this show is about.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

It's about loving hawt guys and chin stripes and the intersection of those weakening the barrier between Alaska and the Night Country creating the conditions that increase the likelihood a mid tier devil is going to wander around tossing transmogrification oranges around and loving up eyes and ears of people and polar bears.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
i thought it was about two assholes solving a murder but maybe i was watching power rangers

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sal standing there in a snow with a big bunny in an Alaska shirt waiting for someone to disembark a plane that never does :qq:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fiona Shaw makes less and less sense every time she shows up. She’s just Navarro’s eccentric mentor who says a bunch of weird stuff and has new rooms in her house in which give exposition each time Navarro stops by? I’m guessing when she was a scholar she learned all about the spiral stuff and relocated to Ennis to play some kind of role in whatever’s happening/ensure that she gave birth to the Eternal Champion Rust Cohle.

Reddit has a theory she’s a ghost, but she has a bunch of scenes alone in episode one and her radio experiences the same electric disturbance that multiple characters see in that episode, which a ghost radio wouldn’t do, probably.

We haven’t seen those electric disturbances since episode one, have we? Excepting what happens on Annie’s murder video, which is from six years before?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Qaavik def involved with the crime somehow

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
i know this has been a persistent problem but it bears repeating this week: drat the music selection is so bad lmao

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t want to believe it, but the sister started getting worse after beginning work in his bar.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Jeep posted:

i know this has been a persistent problem but it bears repeating this week: drat the music selection is so bad lmao

Yeah I think the actress playing Navarro was actually doing alright in her scene at the facility reacting to her sister’s death, but the poppy music tune just took me right out of it. Truly awful music choices. What the heck?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

A lot of sad girl music between Billie Eilish and Mazzy Star.

I actually enjoyed this episode a fair bit, not necessarily as a True Detective type thing, but more a fun quirky harsh alaska spooky thing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

OooooOoo in this Darkness liiiight my wayyyyyyy

OooooOoo in this darkness light my wayyyy

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah I think the actress playing Navarro was actually doing alright in her scene at the facility reacting to her sister’s death, but the poppy music tune just took me right out of it. Truly awful music choices. What the heck?

Had the exact same reaction. It was downright jarring in the worst way. Lyrics that are both on the nose while also being super surface level understanding what's being experienced and seen. Was like someone farting all over what was otherwise an effective set of scenes.

This episode did really feel like True Detective in that everyone is sad and actively destroying themselves further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mcmagic posted:

That episode went hard

Because of this post I was expecting the midseason shootout (projects stash house in s1, vinci drug lab in s2, Vietnam vet house in s3).

Guessing we’re not going to get such a set piece this season.