Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It's very sexy. I'll be in my bunker your crawl space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Man 2 years ago before we bought our first house I never thought about crawl spaces, now it’s something I’ve researched extensively and have spreadsheets about. Life comes at you fast.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I spend more time thinking about, planning, and working on the house than I do working. It's wild. If this whole IT thing doesn't work out I'm getting into home performance/ building science / whatever the gently caress you want to call it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have never had a crawl space. Is it just for being able to access pipes and wires and stuff by crawling around under the house?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 4, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t have a crawl space maybe I should dig one out underneath my slab

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crawl space means you (probably) don't have a slab foundation for part or all of your house

Our house is split level, the two story part is on slab but the single story part is on a grade so it's pier and beam with a perimeter foundation wall because.... I don't know why. I guess it was cheaper than building up the slope with earth

And yeah it's pretty easy to access services there for most of it, it starts at about 5' high to start and tapers down to ~18" on the far end, if you're willing to drop down through a 2x2' Colin furze style secret hatch in the hall closet

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Gunna start calling my basement my stand space.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I have never had a crawl space. Is it just for being able to access pipes and wires and stuff by crawling around under the house?

It's how most houses were constructed in the USA until the 60s? 70s? The foundation of the house is pier and beam.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I didn't see my first crawlspace until I was probably 25, and then didn't live in another building with a crawlspace until like a dozen years later

They're extremely uncommon in Texas, and probably most of the southwest?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Internet Explorer posted:

I spend more time thinking about, planning, and working on the house than I do working. It's wild. If this whole IT thing doesn't work out I'm getting into home performance/ building science / whatever the gently caress you want to call it.

I’ve actually looked into a building science degree since buying my house so I am right there with you. Pixel bruising is not nearly as cool to me anymore as net zero/passive building.

Crawlspaces are both great and terrible, I don’t like basements but wouldn’t want a slab either but they generally are dusty, dirty, spider holes and I have to shake out all my clothes after going in.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve only had to go into my crawl space like 3 times. It’s an absolute mess with uncovered dirt, pieces of hardwood and cement, but there comes a point where I find some peace laying there and contemplating all of my life.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My crawlspace isn't encapsulated but I've hauled many garbage bags worth of trash from it so now it's at least free of debris and "clean". It makes working and inspecting it a lot easier at least, but every time I emerge from it I'm covered in dirt and sand and it's pretty awful. I wish I could justify encapsulating it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Unless my kid is in danger under the house as far as I'm concerned the crawl space is the spider's home. We have an agreement, they stay out of my home and I will stay out of theirs.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I was just visiting with my neighbor who said he spent a bunch of time in his crawl space digging up all the mud/clay, because his water pipe ran through there and had 3 leaks in it at various spots. The plumbers would come out, patch one leak, say they'd fix it and leave until he went down and did all the excavation himself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

H110Hawk posted:

the spider's home.

I like how this grammatically implies it's one spider, presumably a big motherfucker.

Shelob setting up shop in your crawlspace.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Living in Texas means we all got boring rear end slab on grade with an attic that will murder you. I want a basement!

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

If you have a basement you will never get rid of anything. I'll leave it up to you whether this is a good or bad thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you have a basement you have a place to store your canning.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Our basement is finished, that's a good way of not letting it be the area where you accumulate a bunch of crap. We still accumulate a bunch of crap but I bet it'd be way worse if we had the basement from Home Alone

e: tbh we've talked about what it'd take to add an extension to our house, where the basement of said extension would be storage and the upper area would be a solarium off of our dining room. We'd have to tear down part of our deck (which really means tearing down the entire deck and replacing it with a slightly smaller one). Maybe some day

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 4, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Y'all are right, I encapsulated our crawlspaces and now they are nearly full of boxes.

And prolly spiders. I bet the spiders love those boxes and moved right back in.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I dont know anyone with a slab OR crawlspace, wxcept my brother on the other side of the country who has a slab. Every house has a basement around here. It gives the radon somewhere to pool.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 4, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

It's how most houses were constructed in the USA until the 60s? 70s? The foundation of the house is pier and beam.

This is exceptionally location dependent. The Northeast, in general, has always typically had basements. Cold areas in general are less likely to be peir and beam but still may have been a crawl space rather than a full basement. Then you have areas with expansive soils that have touble with anything but pier and beam or a slab. Or exceptionally wet area that are on actual pilings or a slab depending on if the water table sometimes becomes above grade.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At least with pier and beam you can jack the house up and shim the pier if it goes out of level. The house can float above the foundation a bit with some maintenance.

When the north Texas clay gets saturated a slab turns into a floating barge and one end of the house will generally over 50+ years start to dip to one side. The house my dad built in the 1970s after... 3? 4? foundation repairs is more like "pier and slab" foundation. North Texas builders love slab because a team of six guys can pour and level two a day, probably more, but they're terrible long term. All my friends growing up, their living room or kitchen all had grotesque cracks in the corners where the room met the rest of the house due to slab on grade construction

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

This is exceptionally location dependent. The Northeast, in general, has always typically had basements. Cold areas in general are less likely to be peir and beam but still may have been a crawl space rather than a full basement. Then you have areas with expansive soils that have touble with anything but pier and beam or a slab. Or exceptionally wet area that are on actual pilings or a slab depending on if the water table sometimes becomes above grade.

I'm going to go with "Southern California post-WW2 tract homes are the entire nation." :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mine (southern New Jersey, reclaimed swamp, sand all the way) was built in 1930 with a dirt-floor basement, no footers at all - they dug a pit and just built a cinderblock foundation wall directly on the sand.

At the front was an outside porch, enclosed in the 50s, with a dirt crawlspace. In the early 60s they added a laundry room to the rear, also on a dirt crawlspace. So it's a full basement with front & rear crawlspaces.

All I did was cover the dirt with 6-mil black plastic sheeting, serving three purposes:

Allowed me to move around in there without getting filthy;
Store boxes in there without attracting termites;
To deprive the cats of the World's Largest Catbox.

Didn't cost much.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Here in Seattle I've got a crawlspace. We have a standard poured concrete foundation. It's not very tall though, maybe 3' at the highest, I feel like all crawlspaces should be a minimum of 3-4' high so you can sit upright and move around on hands and knees vs literally crawling on your stomach. If you're claustrophobic you would not succeed down there.

In the Midwest everybody had basements. While I would love having exposed systems in a conditioned space, and extra storage, I love my 1955 ranch and we live on a creek with a high water table so a basement would never have worked. I've thought about getting it sealed but out here it's a 50/50 in terms of what's preferred, vented or sealed.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

When I lived in Western Alaska the new houses were built on compacted gravel pads on top of the tundra. Then on top of the gravel pad you had these cool spider web looking lattice support frames. Each point could be adjusted to level the building as it inevitably sunk somewhat into the permafrost.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My weekend was spent replacing this disaster with something that wouldn’t catch on fire. It was bad, folks!

I don’t even know how to explain the dryer side. There was a 4” hole in the drywall, a U made with elbows that went through a stud, and then it met the 25’ foil snake through a hole to the basement. It’s all metal now, is a lot straighter and way less saggy. It still vents through a basement window but I’ll get that fixed when I replace them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy poo poo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good thing Gary used duck brand duck tape and not that expensive duct tape

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Please send an errant spark into that and record it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah there’s no force on the plant that could keep me from piling that on my driveway and throwing matches into it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah there’s no force on the plant that could keep me from piling that on my driveway and throwing matches into it.

please don't do these things if you value the health of anyone nearby

pmchem fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 5, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

pmchem posted:

please don't do these things if you the health of anyone nearby

Is burning lint really that bad for you?

Or is there something hosed up in dryer exhaust I don't know about?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

burning anything is bad for you, let that driveway snake rip

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That flexible vent is metallicized plastic isn't it? I would be concerned about what fun stuff would come out of just the vent material if it were burned.

That said, I would probably cut a short section and light it just to satisfied my own curiosity about how much danger there was when it was in the wall.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I live in the country and have a burn barrel for a reason, maybe I'll try a small section this weekend.

:getin:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

H110Hawk posted:

I have seen what that does to a house. It ain't pretty.

And fun as it might be, don't ignite it. All kinds of lovely petrochemical/plastic textiles in there not to mention the plastic hose itself. You'll need a hand grenade to remove that from your driveway.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

I have seen what that does to a house. It ain't pretty.

And fun as it might be, don't ignite it. All kinds of lovely petrochemical/plastic textiles in there not to mention the plastic hose itself. You'll need a hand grenade to remove that from your driveway.

yeah. for context, depending how much lint is in there and how well it’s packed, it might be like lighting off a mini grain silo. worst case, burn fast boom. not safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pmchem is right op, you should hide under the covers and weep instead