Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Reoxygenation posted:

Once again pulled to help with tech support, which would be fine, but a) I hate the dude who oversees tech support, as he is my old boss because b) he micromanages everything, and has the nasty habit to not plan in advance. Which includes not telling me when the only support agent we have is off, until the very moment he needs help. No, I cannot do stuff immediately, I have other things that I had planed or that I am already doing. Stop picking away at me and let me do poo poo, we are wasting time (and I do not like you)

Can you send a "funny gif"

Your failure to plan, doesn't constitute an emergency for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
A funny gif would land me into hot water for sure, unfortunately

But hey we hired someone for tech support again, maybe the 6th hire will do it and they'll stop bugging me!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Emeritus status was a mistake.

Dusty old farts throwing their weight around trying to keep the environment 20 years in the past. Go chill out on a beach, quit loving working and let the rest of us actually enjoy some progress.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

None of the other techs knew what a "Port 80 in use" error was referencing in XAMPP, or how to diagnose it. Each with 10+ years experience :(

Starting to think Im getting jobs people dont feel like Googling

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Dusty old farts throwing their weight around trying to keep the environment 20 years in the past. Go chill out on a beach, quit loving working and let the rest of us actually enjoy some progress.

If I ever get a title like that, chilling at an expensive lake house is exactly what I'll be doing. Slack me if you have questions about how some crusty old poo poo works but other than that, let me enjoy my nu-pension in peace.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

xzzy posted:

Mine just like to call Microsoft Tech Support and then give scammers full access to their (still owned by the university for some godforsaken reason) devices. :smithcloud:

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Just got an email today. Apparently scammers have been targeting upper level management on What's App and other socials pretending to be the CEO..

Do people really have to be told that the CEO won't message you on social media to conduct company business?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, yes they do. It's amazing what people fall for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Every job I've had in the last five years, all of them with security companies, I get the same "send me your whatsapp for an urgent task" spam within the first week. And it never ends.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

this is why I love notepad++. Even if my PC reboots overnight, my (unsaved, unnamed) notes stay in their tab when I relaunch the app.

This is why I am currently on tab "new 35.txt"

:feelsgood:

I moved to zimwikia while ago, and its super useful. All i wanted from notepadding was persistence, tabs, and organization and it does that great.

being able to self-link to other pages and suchlike within itself is also super handy.

just one of those useful linux tools!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The CEO gave an all hands at one point where he straight up said "This is my cell phone number. Put it in your contacts. If you get a call that isn't from this number, it's not me."

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

We got a teams message yesterday saying there's emails coming in from someone claiming to be the CEO, and to ignore those. I guess just having the sysadmin block them was too much effort?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Well, it's a good thing fraudsters can't spoof a number or bribe an underpaid phone company lacky to steal the number that's been publicly vouched for as trustworthy.

(the actual threat level of this is a function of how well-known your company is, the number of employees, and the market cap of your company)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

joebuddah posted:

Just got an email today. Apparently scammers have been targeting upper level management on What's App and other socials pretending to be the CEO..

Do people really have to be told that the CEO won't message you on social media to conduct company business?

Yup, we got at least two c-level almost fall for it, they stopped only because the supposed "source" of the messages was either too formal or informal compared to reality. But they won't allow us to block it because they don't like using teams chat and they do pretty much all IM traffic on WhatsApp.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, yes they do. It's amazing what people fall for.

an email from v343487y@jhbdg874.ru saying "hello i am CEO sel campany for $65m in bitcoins and send to 3DnDFbytdbrHs82npkJeiyhdYko75rYnPm asap" would probably fool at least one person in the world

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

joebuddah posted:

Do Something About It™️

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our support team get those sorts of requests, "why did this email from a Gmail address with no link in and just asking me to call them get through the spam filter?" well unless you want every message to be triaged by a human who works for you and understands the company, what exactly do you want? At a technical level it's a perfectly legitimate email.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

Our support team get those sorts of requests, "why did this email from a Gmail address with no link in and just asking me to call them get through the spam filter?" well unless you want every message to be triaged by a human who works for you and understands the company, what exactly do you want? At a technical level it's a perfectly legitimate email.

My favorite are the users who escalate it not only to their manager, but senior leadership.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could make an argument that you're going to silently drop every message coming from a free email provider, and in some industries it would be a legitimate thing to do. It's a business decision though to be made above IT.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

You could make an argument that you're going to silently drop every message coming from a free email provider, and in some industries it would be a legitimate thing to do. It's a business decision though to be made above IT.

It's a business decision that some rear end in a top hat in networking made 6 weeks ago without telling anyone, and now you're getting screamed at because the CEO's pool boy Julio was unable to contact AP to get his pipe cleaning check for the month.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I guess I'm not part of the cool kids club, no one's ever asked for my what'sApp. Granted I don't use it, but still kinda hurts a little

J
Jun 10, 2001

Even if you have the world's best spam filter it's only a matter of time until your org or an org you do business with gets owned and the attacker sends well written and targeted emails from a previously known good address.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why email should die.

I guess it's not specifically email that's at fault, it's links and the fact that anyone can register a domain that facilitates it, but the inability to conveniently identify the sender as authentic is a pretty gaping flaw.

And yes there's ways to do that but the protocol doesn't enforce it so no one bothers. It's "too hard".

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

That's why email should die.

I guess it's not specifically email that's at fault, it's links and the fact that anyone can register a domain that facilitates it, but the inability to conveniently identify the sender as authentic is a pretty gaping flaw.

And yes there's ways to do that but the protocol doesn't enforce it so no one bothers. It's "too hard".

You can get an email address that is legally bound to a specific person (requiring proper identification to get one) in civilized parts of the world.

https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/319500_319599/31953204/01.03.01_60/en_31953204v010301p.pdf

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Email becoming a standard business method of communication was a serious mistake.

Thanks for attending my TED talk.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

kensei posted:

Email becoming a standard business method of communication was a serious mistake.

Thanks for attending my TED talk.

You're 100% right.

We should go back to faxes.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Yeah even despite my best effort at work we still get scam poo poo that passes through, and people expect some miracles from me. I dunno, poo poo sucks, I hate emails, I hate everything, my users suck aaaaaaaaa

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH this is why people fall back on "people are the weakest link".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could do worse than having DLP policies that are default deny on anything that looks like a bank account number, iTunes gift card code (assuming they adhere to any sort of pattern) but then you'd just get someone scammed by a WhatsApp message to their personal phone and somehow that would be the fault of IT. Also doesn't help if a 'trusted' third party that you work with gets owned and used for targeted attacks.

The best I've come up with is to advise people to put policies in place that say the CEO is only going to be communicating via your own manager, and that all payment details are to be requested via a phone call to a number that you have used before but it's never going to be robust enough.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 4, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a lot you can do but at the end of the day it's just another "tech can't solve societal problems" thing that gets the C-suite being all "what do we even pay you for?!?!?!" when you inevitably weren't devoting more time to the problem than the dude who needs to scam you so he can buy food.

Isepic
May 7, 2002

TheParadigm posted:

I moved to zimwikia while ago, and its super useful. All i wanted from notepadding was persistence, tabs, and organization and it does that great.

being able to self-link to other pages and suchlike within itself is also super handy.

just one of those useful linux tools!

Happy CherryTree user here, if you use Windows.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I use obsidian.md these days

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A jumble of loose pieces of paper strewn across my desk hasn't done me wrong yet.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Re: phishing — this kind of thing also happened at my friend's job. https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/04/asia/deepfake-cfo-scam-hong-kong-intl-hnk/index.html
It was unsuccessful, luckily. The scammer complained about a bad network connection to explain the poor video quality and glitch.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

joebuddah posted:

CEO pointed out a broken image that was only visible under certain circumstances on a page a sister team owns. The manager treated this as a priority one escalation like a certificate had expired and no one can log in. Buddy you’ve been a manager at a FAANG in your prior job, you should keep a cooler head.

So, “A message from the CEO?! SCRAMBLE! SCRAMBLE!”

I can imagine some dummies would fall for being messaged about poo poo from Facebook.
Now, why people see fit to put their whole lives into FB is a different matter

E:
Oh awesome

A company lost $25.6 million because of a deepfaked conference call.
https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/4/24061192/a-company-lost-25-6-million-because-of-a-deepfaked-conference-call

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 5, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

joebuddah posted:

yes there's people who still think a CEO does work, if that's what you're asking

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What do you mean? They do 55-hour weeks if you include 20 hours of personal errands and 5 hours of eating dinner.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thanks Ants posted:

What do you mean? They do 55-hour weeks if you include 20 hours of personal errands and 5 hours of eating dinner.

There's twenty four hours of meetings in there as well, phone calls, conference calls and "public events" are all basically meetings. They do five hours work a week and spend the rest telling people the work they've done

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

They do five hours work a week and spend the rest telling people the work they've done

I guess I'm a ceo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Same, except I'm on fewer meetings. That chart makes me not want to be a CEO.