Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah I started cutting my own hair during Covid and I’m capable enough with a 3-2-1 fade, just wanting to try something more adult now that I’m feeling better overall about my appearance,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I miss my greaser barber, same dude once a month for 15 years, grandfathered $15 a pop. Been buzzing since the lockdown. Well till I decided to grow it out for a full year a couple months ago. I’d just sit down without a word and get the usual high fade leave an inch and a half on top.

It used be $10 way back when and I’d tip a five, he slowly raised the price and whatever I gave him he’d always give me the change for $15 back

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 3, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

kiimo posted:

this is gonna be the most goon thing ever but I've cut my hair for like 25 years and I'm really loving good at it and I don't trust anyone else because hey they haven't cut my hair for 25 years so they lack experience.

It helps to be anal retentive and simultaneously vain, those are the makings of a good self barber

my friend has been doing this too..do you give yourself The Perfect Fade(tm), every time?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"I'd like a haircut I can set my watch to, please."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

3 DONG HORSE posted:

my friend has been doing this too..do you give yourself The Perfect Fade(tm), every time?

8 guard at the crown, descending to a 1 guard at the very bottom, scissors and comb for everything forward of the crown, 3 on the sides, touch up with a 2. Zero lines, *chef's kiss*

The descending guards and the intestinal fortitude to not skip any guards and to will myself not to go too fast is the key for having zero lines.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The best thing I did was when I got a perfect haircut to have the barber take pics from all sides. Those pics are now in a "haircut" album on my phone that I just show any other barber/hairstylist and I just say "please do that."

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

kiimo posted:

8 guard at the crown, descending to a 1 guard at the very bottom, scissors and comb for everything forward of the crown, 3 on the sides, touch up with a 2. Zero lines, *chef's kiss*

The descending guards and the intestinal fortitude to not skip any guards and to will myself not to go too fast is the key for having zero lines.

Gonna need you to post pics for proof.

I want to believe you, I just can’t. It seems like our own arms don’t bend the right way to make sure it’s a consistent blend.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Hell, I scheduled my first real salon cut with the lady a coworker went and in the special request box I explained that I didn’t really get my hair because I had only just come out a year ago.

So that lovely woman spent the entire loving hour(+) teaching me about my dumb hair and different things I could do with it and how she was cutting my hair and why she was doing things that way.

Needless to say I’ll never go to anyone else ever again. Like, legit barbers and stylists are specialized professionals. Don’t be afraid to tap into their knowledge and ask their advice.

That is extremely blessed and radical!!! What style did you go with? Do any coloring?

Long(ish) hair is such a pain in the keister! By golly anything more than like half an inch just skyrockets the required effort attention to make look good.

I love that clean fade cut hair basically style itself. Impossible to have a bad hair day. Roll out of the morning shower and good to go.

Seems like the ladies prefer my aesthetics when I have hair longer than fades, though.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
btww yesterday I met the super saiyan final form of "a boy named sue".

pulled customer down, named Adolph Something. Born in 1944. I wondered how the hell the dad decided to name him that. Then I noticed his dad was named Adolph.

That dad said "gently caress the war, this kid's gonna be a Junior".

Called him to the window.

He was black.

Imagine a black kid in Jim Crow 1950s Alabama with that name, and practically every white authority figure you have to deal with is a veteran.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
why should i change my name he's the one who sucks

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I have long hair and it's awful

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had a really good barber in my old neighborhood, then I moved far enough away that getting to him was just a little annoying. Six months later he buys a house a block away from me and opens his own shop on the same street. It ruled.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I went to this one lady after Covid for a while but she wouldn’t ever fuckin do this one thing I asked her to do because it would grow out weird in a certain spot after like a week. “It’ll look weird if I do that” okay well it already looks weird and it’s hair it’ll grow back just try it please, but still she wouldn’t

So I got a rec from the butch lesbian that does my GFs tattoos and who I used to go to high school with and I’m much much happier with my hair

Stupid hair is still a pain in the rear end to style and keep that way every morning tho

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

Hey I know what that's like. I was trying to schedule some for last night but instead SB had to bring me to the ER because my insides tried to murder me. Really put the brakes on things.

Was it due to a dangerously low levels of shrimp in your system???

I hope you are ok :ohdear:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

a neat cape posted:

You should track down the coach that gave Herbie his haircut.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

a neat cape posted:

You’re allowed to get it cut.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That is extremely blessed and radical!!! What style did you go with? Do any coloring?

Long(ish) hair is such a pain in the keister! By golly anything more than like half an inch just skyrockets the required effort attention to make look good.

I love that clean fade cut hair basically style itself. Impossible to have a bad hair day. Roll out of the morning shower and good to go.

Seems like the ladies prefer my aesthetics when I have hair longer than fades, though.
I showed her a pic of Faye Webster and got that exact cut.

But I’ve since decided that isn’t gay enough and the past two cuts have been based primarily on Courtney Barnett, whose hair is best described as being the same but dykey.
My stylist figured out how to curtain my bangs exactly so that they don’t get into my eyes even after four months of growth (and my hair is very healthy and very straight, so length happens fast!)
No color, can’t afford color, but I want to do something different next time. I’m going to a Caroline Rose concert, so I want to look the part…

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Congratulations on your finely honed autotonsorial skills, I also spent many hours cutting my own in high school and college. I gave up about 9 months into COVID and grew it out to my shoulders as an experiment. I have a newfound appreciation for what a goddamn huge pain in the rear end long hair is now, everything takes 3x as long to deal with (showering/drying/styling) and it's always in your drat face.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The Russians wore a hat

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bird in a Blender posted:

In like May 2020 I half-jokingly said I wasn’t getting my hair cut until the pandemic was over and well, lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

8 hours working in the yard today hell yeah.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I look god awful with short hair.

I mean, I look awful in general, but especially with short hair

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I look god awful with short hair.

I mean, I look awful in general, but especially with short hair

Android Apocalypse posted:

The best thing I did was when I got a perfect haircut to have the barber take pics from all sides. Those pics are now in a "haircut" album on my phone that I just show any other barber/hairstylist and I just say "please do that."

Do what I did, swallow the awkwardness and spent a bit of cash and go to a higher end barber shop, pay way too much to have some scissor nerd talk you through what works for your head and face shape. Have em snap pics on your phone, go to a cheaper place and show em the pics. You come from an unbroken line of weird looking dudes who some chick let empty their clip in so you could be born so someone will find you acceptable if you put your best foot forward. Might as well go to someone to tell you what to do if you're lost for answers. Worst case you wear a hat for two weeks in shame when you leave your house til it grows out a little.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I showed her a pic of Faye Webster and got that exact cut.

But I’ve since decided that isn’t gay enough and the past two cuts have been based primarily on Courtney Barnett, whose hair is best described as being the same but dykey.
My stylist figured out how to curtain my bangs exactly so that they don’t get into my eyes even after four months of growth (and my hair is very healthy and very straight, so length happens fast!)
No color, can’t afford color, but I want to do something different next time. I’m going to a Caroline Rose concert, so I want to look the part…

Hell yes, Loner is one of my favorite albums of the past few years, Caroline Rose is fantastic

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Went to a Mardi Gras party today and thought of Braks and SB.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

How was the party?

We will probably go to a parade next weekend but then the week after that we're taking our kids to Universal Orlando where they also have "Mardi Gras." I feel like one of these parades will be good.

Also, I am fine. I had a very painful bout of gastritis and I truly thought that was it for me and I was gonna go to the big theme park in the sky, y'all. It was awful. Between this and my gallbladder attacks, I think I'm going to have to stop mounjaro. It doesn't like me.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 4, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

C-Euro posted:

My niece is coming down from Tuscaloosa for Joe Cain weekend with her roommate from Michigan, who's never been to Mardi Gras.

A coworker said she brought friends from Australia and they made a sign saying so and they got bombarded with throws.

I had to point out that a sign declaring someone is from Michigan is more likely to be bombarded with bad language.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

C-Euro posted:

Hope you had fun and caught many beads!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

My niece is coming down from Tuscaloosa for Joe Cain weekend with her roommate from Michigan, who's never been to Mardi Gras.

A coworker said she brought friends from Australia and they made a sign saying so and they got bombarded with throws.

I had to point out that a sign declaring someone is from Michigan is more likely to be bombarded with bad language.

What if it said "First Time Tide Fan From Michigan"?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

What if it said "First Time Tide Fan From Michigan"?

Hmmm. Maybe honesty is the best policy. "Michigan Born. Tuscaloosa Educated. RMFT"

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hell yes, Loner is one of my favorite albums of the past few years, Caroline Rose is fantastic
I encountered "Jeanie Becomes A Mom" on one of Courtney Barnett's playlists and immediately fell in love.
Then they dropped "The Art of Forgetting" like a month after I went through a messy break-up and I binged that album so loving much. I will always love Uncle Carol.

I told them "The Art of Forgetting" was my album of the year on Instagram and THEY LIKED MY MESSAGE!:swoon:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Braksgirl posted:

How was the party?

I mean it was cool but wasn't entirely authentic, a couple who used be our neighbors are big afficionados of New Orleans culture so they just had people over to their house and served Cajun food. They even managed to find king cake, which my kid loved.

Silly Burrito posted:

Hope you had fun and caught many beads!

My kid tried to strangle me with two strands lol. Even knew the proper way to pull them to garrote someone, I've got a little reincarnated Agent 47 on my hands.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Hell, I scheduled my first real salon cut with the lady a coworker went and in the special request box I explained that I didn’t really get my hair because I had only just come out a year ago.

So that lovely woman spent the entire loving hour(+) teaching me about my dumb hair and different things I could do with it and how she was cutting my hair and why she was doing things that way.

Needless to say I’ll never go to anyone else ever again. Like, legit barbers and stylists are specialized professionals. Don’t be afraid to tap into their knowledge and ask their advice.
This loving owns lmao congrats

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

GD_American posted:

I gotta say, it's a bit weird we're gonna have weather in the 70s with minimal rain on a February Joe Cain day.

Thanks El Nino (and probably no small part of climate change)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Our office (SSA) usually had our handyman (a nice semi-retired guy in his 80s) paid to sit in the garage around Joe Cain weekend to keep people from parking in there. Well, now the garage is fenced and enclosed so he doesn't have to.

But he is this year anyway, so employees and their families can park right on the parade route trouble-free. Our new DM is loving awesome.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Trixie and Katya reacting to Netflix One Piece is great, especially when I rewatching it a little high. Boo to Netflix for skipping over their reactions to Buggy though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I was really surprised Netflix One Piece turned out well, but the people in charge of it really want to make it as good of adaptation as possible.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Man me and the wife like the new D&D movie,3rd watch this month

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Speaking of movies. Napoleon pissed me off. Inaccurate trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BlindSite posted:

Speaking of movies. Napoleon pissed me off. Inaccurate trash.

I haven't seen it, so can't comment on the quality of Napoleon, but Amadeus is probably my favorite biopic and barely resembles the facts of Mozart's life.