Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Cackling madness aside, one thing you pick up on Bhaal is he isn't very picky. Orin and his Cult are all insane wackos, and he is also an insane wacko, but Durge was very distinctly his favored servant because he was a schemer on par with Gortash who masterminded the Absolute plot. He probably appreciates the fact that Durge hurt a goddess bad enough that she wasn't able to maintain her protection over Last Light and sees it as an ingenious way to kill Isobel.

There's, I think, a dialogue path with Orin where you can call her out for it. She thinks Bhaal wants a glorious duel, Durge knows that he just wants one of them dead and isn't going to look too close at the how.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

via reddit

I've never got past Act 1, so I don't know who half those people are.

Gale looks like Jesus in this. And Halsin looks a lot less ugly than he does in game.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

In hindsight one thing that bugs me about Durge is having Shads kill the Nightsong is treated as though you killed Isobel personally. Telling someone they should kill someone else, leading to a third person dying in a way you probably wouldn't actually predict - even if it isn't really a surprise - isn't the same as bathing in their guts is it
Bhaal appreciates delegation

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think I’m going to buy this game, normally I’d wait a few years to get it cheap but I’m impatient.

I’m also more interested in all the funny gameplay options I’ve been hearing about rather than focusing on lots of combat. If I can somehow win a battle with words, sneak around or push someone off a cliff that’s more fun to me than the fights.

From what I’ve heard through friends it sounds like I should start with bard to have lots of dialog options and sneaky tricks.

Are there any other classes I should check out or is bard a good place to start for a scaredy cat trying to weasel out of fights all the time?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Bard is a great choice for that. Warlock is great too. It is weirdly counter intuitive but I think Barbarian is also an amazing choice for it as well. You’d think they are all about fighting but they get a ton of special intimidation options.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Snowy posted:

I think I’m going to buy this game, normally I’d wait a few years to get it cheap but I’m impatient.

I’m also more interested in all the funny gameplay options I’ve been hearing about rather than focusing on lots of combat. If I can somehow win a battle with words, sneak around or push someone off a cliff that’s more fun to me than the fights.

From what I’ve heard through friends it sounds like I should start with bard to have lots of dialog options and sneaky tricks.

Are there any other classes I should check out or is bard a good place to start for a scaredy cat trying to weasel out of fights all the time?

bard and charisma barbarian are probably the best two classes for avoiding fights

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I managed to do a bullshitter run as a halfling sorc. The amount of weird turnouts of things when you go the diplomatic/bullshit route really does feel like the game is adlibbed or something, its amazing the amount of eventualities they fully fleshed out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Rogue had a lot of slimy ways out of certain situations through dialogue with advantage, but you're not going to charming the pants off everyone.

Barbarian is the best beat to shove people off poo poo, sneak around nude and yell at people so they surrender.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Haha wow ok I never would have thought of barbarian for that, thanks guys :3:

I know I’m going to be tempted by bard/wizard/sorceror too, but maybe charisma barbarian is a good place to start, that sounds pretty funny

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

A lot of the barbarian dialogue options are incredible

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Barbarian has the best dialogue options in the game. Anybody who tells you otherwise is a liar.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

EorayMel posted:

Barbarian has the best dialogue options in the game. Anybody who tells you otherwise is a liar.

I'm really sad that (durge spoilers) biting off his toe doesn't give the ring

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Snowy posted:

I played bard and talked my way out of about a dozen fights. 4 of those fights I not only prevented by talking, but also convinced the antagonist to kill themselves. Any high charisma class can do that stuff but bards are uniquely good at *all* checks.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lore question:
What’s with the buried chests every ten steps

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Every year Squirrels bury chests for safe keeping during the winter but forget where they hid them. This is where Mimics come from.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If you've got a better way to store a hyena ear, some cheese and an acid arrow I'm all ears.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I would pay good money for a lifetime supply of hyena ears tbh. I'm addicted to potions of speed because they make act 3 bearable.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
same but worg fangs

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I need more bloody hooks for my elixirs of vigilance.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Snowy posted:

Haha wow ok I never would have thought of barbarian for that, thanks guys :3:

I know I’m going to be tempted by bard/wizard/sorceror too, but maybe charisma barbarian is a good place to start, that sounds pretty funny

Bear in mind that if you go bard, you'll also have some nifty spells that aren't exactly combat-oriented. You can also be the party's lockpick. If what you want is a way to avoid combat when you don't feel like fighting, then bard is your best bet.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Can I just say that clicking on the Shadow Vestiges in Act 2 yields some of the bleakest and most grim narration from the DM in the entire game. Some real Cormac McCarthy poo poo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It is finally done

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/tracywiles/status/1753892707028578316?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Foundry. Got to the 2nd floor despite a globe of invulnerability mishap they are alive. Big door with what I assume is the Source Titan remains for next session.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Heads up to anyone with astatron in act 3: never let that fucker leave your party because there’s a camp fight that happens that he’ll join as an npc and waste all your scrolls like a dumbass in.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
One of the things I love about this game is that literally all classes get ways to get out of combat from time to time that are appropriate to their situations and sometimes your special dialogue just makes things worse.

In act one there’s a mirror asking you questions and if you pick the wizard’s “well, actually” or the bard’s “in all the stories it works like this” answers it immediately tries to kill you.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
yay viconia!!!

wait she's got how many friends???? gently caress

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Bard is a great choice for that. Warlock is great too. It is weirdly counter intuitive but I think Barbarian is also an amazing choice for it as well. You’d think they are all about fighting but they get a ton of special intimidation options.

I was very impressed by Intimidate diplomacy options! as far as i can recall, Intimidate in other D&D games usually provokes a fight with a fear debuff? not here! not usually? Also, doing the Rogue dip for throwing nets you Expertise and it is indeed soooo good 👀

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Can I just say that clicking on the Shadow Vestiges in Act 2 yields some of the bleakest and most grim narration from the DM in the entire game. Some real Cormac McCarthy poo poo.

They remind me a lot of the spirits you could talk to in Divinity: Original Sin 2, a lot of whom were equally depressing (which at least made you feel less bad about eating them).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just did House of Hope and one of those lovely little imps eldritch blasted the group, missing everyone except my MC who fell to her death thus wiping Githrezai Mind Barrier and Loviator's Love. I'm so pissed! :argh:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I keep seeing thumbnails on youtube of Shadowheart with her black hair, but in the Selunite style (without the atrocious bangs.) How do you get that? I can't find a mod that does that.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Node posted:

I keep seeing thumbnails on youtube of Shadowheart with her black hair, but in the Selunite style (without the atrocious bangs.) How do you get that? I can't find a mod that does that.

You have to have her kill the nightsong.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Node posted:

Like the others have said either kill nightsong or run mods like these
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/932
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/21

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
technically you can do that with Appearance Edit Enhanced

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/899

edit: that mod made me realize how important Astarions hair is, if you change it to something "harder" he becomes an unappealing evil rear end in a top hat

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I just finished what I think is the culmination of the resist Urge quest. It was like the 9th episode of a good prestige drama, but I did it almost as soon as I entered the lower city because I thought it was urgent. Running around and beating up wizards or whatever feels flat as gently caress now.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yep, this is why I say the pacing of act 3 is not great. It’s very easy to ram straight through the critical path and then you have to kind of force yourself to do what feels like side quests after

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I just realised I forgot to use Power Word: Kill on the final boss . Does that have a cool animation? I instead disintegrated it, which was pretty funny, but I wanted to use my evil durge superpowers.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Throw barb is really good wow. Speaking of beating up wizards. I concluded the wizard fight in round one by choosing luck of the far realms on Karlach’s first throw. It’s all fun and games until a 27 str hellbeast chucks a hammer at your noggin.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Dark Urge questline really helps carry act 3 narratively buts it's absolutely something that should be left till later.
Whenever I do my evilish durge run I'm definitely leaving it and Shadowhearts quest so I can take a point of divergence save till last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I’ve learned that throwbarb is super good not just for single target damage (and Prone for everyone), it’s incredible for getting dudes outta your low-initiative caster’s face. A throwbarb with the classic 3 Rogue for Thief subclass build can throw 4 targets per turn, and can do an additional 2 if you have enough Fighter for Action Surge. Combo it with a Warlock using Eldrich Blast (Push)+Hunger of Hadar, and you become a two-man throw show.

We didn’t even have a single knockdown on the Act 1 Githyanki patrol, the muppets kept Misty Stepping up onto the gate and into my throwbarb’s hands. :allears: