Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

Looks exactly (plus colors) like the fossils you pull out of the Green River formation in Wyoming

Thought the same thing with regards to fossils

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I hope they hotboxed that prawn first

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The shellfish, or squid, gets cooked by the heated press. It's like a sandwich presser on steroids, and they cook quickly (the video cuts out all the cooking time) because everything is crushed paper thin.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Food so thin and light its 2 dimensional

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I hope they hotboxed that prawn first

They give the prawns some killer edibles and an adult colouring book a few hours before service starts, by the time he knows what's up he's already a video game texture.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Quick! Put it into the three-dimensional bat-restorer before you eat!

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

They give the prawns some killer edibles and an adult colouring book a few hours before service starts, by the time he knows what's up he's already a video game texture.

hydrochronic press

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

But you see, now the shrimp becomes (ok, not very small) pastry!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

"Welcome to Hydraulic Press Channel Restaurant!"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so there's way too much from Taiwan but probably my favorite street food was the pepper pork bun

Crispy outside and steamy, juicy and aromatic meat inside, very convenient for eating on the street. Top notch street food, imo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/3sgmuik.mp4

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Candy art rules.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It does but not as much as this

https://i.imgur.com/PDda4e7.mp4

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

mobby_6kl posted:

It does but not as much as this

https://i.imgur.com/PDda4e7.mp4

Some kind land scallop?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Used to get a much smaller version of basically the same thing in China, there was a mosque downtown and on Fridays the whole street was full of food vendors. poo poo owned.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Isn't that a tandoor.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It mimics their natural habitat of a magma vent

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Kyte posted:

Isn't that a tandoor.

Yep, basically have the same all through central asia

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Used to get a much smaller version of basically the same thing in China, there was a mosque downtown and on Fridays the whole street was full of food vendors. poo poo owned.

The Taiwanese pepper bun is basically made like that too, you can see the much smaller oven in the back here

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Looks like a puffy Moroccan Medfouna too.

Baking meat into a handheld bread or pastry is pretty universal, probably because it's an obvious thing to try and it's hard not to make it delicious.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I think it might be Uzbek: its an actual factual bowl of good poo poo with loving bread baked around it

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm no expert but "Qakzaq" is making me think Kazakhstan. Regardless i would absolutely destroy one of those and no doubt and burn the poo poo out of my tongue in the process

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm sure there are differences but my experience of Central Asian food is it's pretty similar across borders. If you've had Uzbek food you're not going to be shocked at the menu in a Kazakh place.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm sure there are differences but my experience of Central Asian food is it's pretty similar across borders. If you've had Uzbek food you're not going to be shocked at the menu in a Kazakh place.
Definitely, there's a lot of overlap across the countries, though I haven't seen that particular thing in Uzbekistan for example.

A few from Taiwan.

Castella Cake: Very good.

Large Adult Fried Chicken - seems like a chain, I've seen them in HK too. Basically a chicken schnitzel you get to-go, pretty good idea.

All sorts of squid and what not that I couldn't eat due to seafood allergy

And the night markets are pretty nuts of course

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hot Star is a chain. We have one in Ottawa Canada. It's loving good

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hotstar pretty good, seeing those octopus tentacles reminds me of some excellent Oden yatai I ate at in Japan, that had the tentacles on a stick. So good.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hot Star is a chain. We have one in Ottawa Canada. It's loving good

I was about to say the same as we have one here in Hobart, Tasmania. My favourite is the crispy chicken thigh, along with their sweet potato fries and eggplant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's in Melbourne too, but I've not tried them. Might do so next time I'm in the CBD.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had no idea they were present outside of SE Asia but google thinks they're also in Canada, United States and Australia so that's neat, wish we had them in Europe too.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

If you've access to hot star but never tried it that's incredibly shameful and you should remedy that right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ili posted:

If you've access to hot star but never tried it that's incredibly shameful and you should remedy that right now.

Look, there's a LOT of really good Asian Fried Chicken options in Melbourne, okay? :ohdear:

Just off the top of my head there's NeNe Chicken, Topstar, Supreme Chicken, and Chicken Episode.

(I personally will always recommend Chicken Episode myself. Big portions of delicious korean fried chicken, wide range of sauces, fairly cheap combos, and they deep-fry a selection of chocolate bars for their dessert menu. Oreos too).

If you want more american-style fried chicken, Belle's Hot Chicken is a pretty good time too.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

All I see there is excuses. Go have some hot star.

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look, there's a LOT of really good Asian Fried Chicken options in Melbourne, okay? :ohdear:

Just off the top of my head there's NeNe Chicken, Topstar, Supreme Chicken, and Chicken Episode.

(I personally will always recommend Chicken Episode myself. Big portions of delicious korean fried chicken, wide range of sauces, fairly cheap combos, and they deep-fry a selection of chocolate bars for their dessert menu. Oreos too).

If you want more american-style fried chicken, Belle's Hot Chicken is a pretty good time too.

Gami Chicken & Beer not making this list is criminal

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ribs
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2w5TqMLUgF/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caedes posted:

Gami Chicken & Beer not making this list is criminal

poo poo, you're completely right and I apologize. Gami Chicken is also loving great.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've always hated this bug-eyed freakazoid.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
He grosses me out too

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Kenning posted:

I've always hated this bug-eyed freakazoid.

*frantically hammers on monitor power button*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Mark Weins is a creep.

Are there any decent youtube food show hosts out there aside from Mike Chen and Sonny from The Best Food Show Ever?