Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
God I forgot he w much Kenji sucked, he's sitting at rank 2 j have zero will to hang out

Enjoy getting ghosted daily . Im too busy hanging out with a drunk monk or a shady TV host or eating a bowl of ramen or whatever. Buying dr. Salts takes up the whole afternoon

E. Arqa looks great. my only complaint is yeah the dorm lounge looks like it's got floodlights in it but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jpmeyer posted:

i dunno p3's gameplay directly contradicts its themes. the game thematically is trying to tell you "death comes for us all, treasure those fleeting moments while you can" but meanwhile the gameplay ends up like "idk there are literally no events for me to do today because the devs didn't tune the game enough so i'll just go to sleep until school starts back up i guess."

(or "i have only a few weeks left before the end, i guess ill spend that time doing homework and playing crane games.")

This isn't really a gameplay flaw because unless you are consulting a guide or have played the game before you are unlikely to run completely out of stuff to do on a standard playthrough. The night time is worse than the day time for that reason but each version has added more things to do in the night time. Most people who play the game don't get a perfect flawless 100% social link runthrough on their first playthrough without any outside assistance and the assumption is that you will waste days or be suboptimal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GateOfD posted:

did they add modern QoL stuff to P3 remaster, and is the social links max not so strict this time where you had to do every day perfect with no room for error.

i would simply not max all links

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sloober posted:

E. Arqa looks great. my only complaint is yeah the dorm lounge looks like it's got floodlights in it but whatever

it does. problem?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

says a lot yall only thinking about that while im over here taking note of the hard rear end work the devs have put in for us the gamers by running extension cords and cabling for all the lamps in the room. say s alot about where your heads are at.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

between those beamers AND the candelabras, no wonder it's too bright in there

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Floor 11 miniboss instantly crit Yukari from full to 0 on turn 1 ftw lol. Managed to win anyways because I'm cool + good at games but it was funny.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

For a Hamukoless remake, this is pretty loving good. The new town at night song is the best. My only gripe with it is the texting stuff from your s. links. Like with Kenji or Yuko it makes sense, they're high school kids. But why does Meiko have a cell phone? Why is she texting a 17 year old dude with it? How is Bunkichi tech literate enough to text someone with a dial pad when he can barely remember his name? Maya having it is weird too for spoiler reasons, but slightly less weird I guess.

I dunno, this is a very small gripe, I love everything else so far.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Stux posted:

it does. problem?

I'm gonna shoot all those lights out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blossommirage posted:

For a Hamukoless remake, this is pretty loving good. The new town at night song is the best. My only gripe with it is the texting stuff from your s. links. Like with Kenji or Yuko it makes sense, they're high school kids. But why does Meiko have a cell phone? Why is she texting a 17 year old dude with it? How is Bunkichi tech literate enough to text someone with a dial pad when he can barely remember his name? Maya having it is weird too for spoiler reasons, but slightly less weird I guess.

I dunno, this is a very small gripe, I love everything else so far.

At the time frame the game is set Japan was absolutely huge on cell phones, like super huge. They were incredibly commonplace.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

says a lot yall only thinking about that while im over here taking note of the hard rear end work the devs have put in for us the gamers by running extension cords and cabling for all the lamps in the room. say s alot about where your heads are at.

Holy poo poo.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stux posted:

it does. problem?

having done testing on these floodlights by turning the background brightness all the way down i can conclusively say that these only actually produce like, a square foot of light directly beneath them. the source of the rest of the mysterious radiance has yet to be determined, including at the top of the staircase where there are no such lights

also it actually looks fine if you just crank the background brightness slider most of the way down, it looks like the default setting is just too high for whatever reason

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stux posted:

that's a tripping hazard

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah hence the lights

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Welp, waking up to see all these pages, I guess "less thematically satisfying" was a poor choice of words when trying to explain a hard to explain aspect of the series while trying to list it as a quick bullet point about why P3 is a rougher game due to being a reboot that defined the modern series conventions and shouldn't be judged on the same level as 4 and 5. Putting a vague "IMO" qualifier didn't help much.
I wasn't actually talking about how committed the game is to a theme in its story, like I will fully agree that P3 is more committed to its theme of accepting death and loss than P5 is to its theme of rebellion, though that wasn't the issue I was talking about. The actual thing I wanted to say is I guess more of a personal point that I've raised several times in this thread but I seem to be the only person who really cares about it.

What I like about Persona stories is the sort of playful metaphysics of the story being based around characters' inner thoughts affecting reality. I feel it's at the core of the series identity and makes it unique. Especially in the older games which were less structurally formulaic, it was very cool how the "other world" where most of Persona 1 was set operated as a reflection of a certain character's ideal version of the world, how things from that world interacted with the real world, and it was at first slowly revealed through subtle differences with the real world, etc. Similarly even though it was more of a mass delusion, all the steadily escalating lunacy in 2 based on rumors becoming real if enough people believed them was pretty fun. After 3 didn't really have this type of story, 4 and 5 were a return to form with the dungeons and shadows being closely tied to that character's inner thoughts. In 4 and 5 it was handled in a more hammer-to-the-head level of subtlety / more formulaic way compared to the PS1 games, but it did provide a nice thematic structure to tie all elements in the game together while P3 suffered from Tartarus and its enemies feeling disconnected from the rest of the game. Even then 4 and 5 did have some other interesting ideas in this vein, especially the new stories in P5 Royal and Strikers.

In 3 the closest we really got to this type of storytelling was referring to "humanity's overall wish for death" being cited as a blanket explanation for all the supernatural elements like Tartarus, shadows, the dark hour etc. (Not even counting the silly side material saying Nyx is an alien that I never heard about until last week or so in the thread). Though that's basically as far as it goes and for most of the story we're just told it was an attempt to build a time machine gone wrong. So while sure there's the undercurrent of the theme of death there's almost none of the cool metaphysics stuff that define all the other games to me and it feels more like a surface-level story about high school students fighting monsters which is much less interesting than all the stories of the other games. Even if stuff like character arcs are handled well on their own.

I guess rather than "theme" I should have said that the story feels like it wasn't written with the same mindset as 1 and 2 or even 4 and 5. I generally chalk it up to a change in the writing and directing staff not really understanding what made the story of the previous games "tick" or just wanting to go in a different direction from the previous games.

Overall to me the story of 3 feels much more like a straightforward genre story and less "clever" than the other games in the series I suppose. Or that the underlying ideas are less interesting to me.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 4, 2024

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oxxidation posted:

that's a tripping hazard

Reinforcing the themes about death by having the constant threat of breaking your neck after tripping on one of the 20 foot extension chords attached to the thrift store lamps being used to light a dorm living room the size of a warehouse.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Waiting for the next p5 version where the game ends by shooting Shido in the back with a homemade scatter gun at a political rally. You’ll never see it coming, indeed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Item Getter posted:

Welp, waking up to see all these pages, I guess "less thematically satisfying" was a poor choice of words when trying to explain a hard to explain aspect of the series while trying to list it as a quick bullet point about why P3 is a rougher game due to being a reboot that defined the modern series conventions and shouldn't be judged on the same level as 4 and 5. Putting a vague "IMO" qualifier didn't help much.
I wasn't actually talking about how committed the game is to a theme in its story, like I will fully agree that P3 is more committed to its theme of accepting death and loss than P5 is to its theme of rebellion, though that wasn't the issue I was talking about. The actual thing I wanted to say is I guess more of a personal point that I've raised several times in this thread but I seem to be the only person who really cares about it.

What I like about Persona stories is the sort of playful metaphysics of the story being based around characters' inner thoughts affecting reality. I feel it's at the core of the series identity and makes it unique. Especially in the older games which were less structurally formulaic, it was very cool how the "other world" where most of Persona 1 was set operated as a reflection of a certain character's ideal version of the world, how things from that world interacted with the real world, and it was at first slowly revealed through subtle differences with the real world, etc. Similarly even though it was more of a mass delusion, all the steadily escalating lunacy in 2 based on rumors becoming real if enough people believed them was pretty fun. After 3 didn't really have this type of story, 4 and 5 were a return to form with the dungeons and shadows being closely tied to that character's inner thoughts. In 4 and 5 it was handled in a more hammer-to-the-head level of subtlety / more formulaic way compared to the PS1 games, but it did provide a nice thematic structure to tie all elements in the game together while P3 suffered from Tartarus and its enemies feeling disconnected from the rest of the game. Even then 4 and 5 did have some other interesting ideas in this vein, especially the new stories in P5 Royal and Strikers.

In 3 the closest we really got to this type of storytelling was referring to "humanity's overall wish for death" being cited as a blanket explanation for all the supernatural elements like Tartarus, shadows, the dark hour etc. (Not even counting the silly side material saying Nyx is an alien that I never heard about until last week or so in the thread). Though that's basically as far as it goes and for most of the story we're just told it was an attempt to build a time machine gone wrong. So while sure there's the undercurrent of the theme of death there's almost none of the cool metaphysics stuff that define all the other games to me and it feels more like a surface-level story about high school students fighting monsters which is much less interesting than all the stories of the other games. Even if stuff like character arcs are handled well on their own.

I guess rather than "theme" I should have said that the story feels like it wasn't written with the same mindset as 1 and 2 or even 4 and 5. I generally chalk it up to a change in the writing and directing staff not really understanding what made the story of the previous games "tick" or just wanting to go in a different direction from the previous games.

Overall to me the story of 3 feels much more like a straightforward genre story and less "clever" than the other games in the series I suppose. Or that the underlying ideas are less interesting to me.

way too many words = whatever youre saying is probably really stupid and u had to drag it out. sorry just how it works.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and of course, did not read.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i like persona 2 but 3 seems good, also

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sorry I'm a hater and will refuse any argument that says that P5's writing is good

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Priestess feels a bit harder in Reload. Like not super tough, but she throws out nastier attacks (including a full-party attack). She also has a 'gotcha' for new players since she'll cut your time limit by half at least twice during the fight. I was probably slightly underlevelled since I didn't fully clear the first block of Tartarus, but it was still manageable thanks to a lucky skill change earlier that got me Arrow Rain.

Also man I forgot how many Social Links get thrown at you in the first month. Magician, Chariot, Hierophant, Hermit, Emperor, Hanged Man, and you can probably unlock Temperance, Strength, Justice and (ugh) Moon early on without much trouble too.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also man I forgot how many Social Links get thrown at you in the first month. Magician, Chariot, Hierophant, Hermit, Emperor, Hanged Man, and you can probably unlock Temperance, Strength, Justice and (ugh) Moon early on without much trouble too.

Sloober posted:

Enjoy getting ghosted daily . Im too busy hanging out with a drunk monk or a shady TV host or eating a bowl of ramen or whatever. Buying dr. Salts takes up the whole afternoon

These two things combine into an odd situation in a game that tells you about the power of social bonds. I reach out and make friends then ghost them all to eat the seafood platter or play edutainment games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kenji is funny because you realize that you never actually reach out to make friends with him, he's the one who invites you to (forcibly) initiate the Link and then keeps bugging you to hang out with him afterwards.

Also, do the computer game things raise more points than eating ramen or something? Seems like they both give 2 notes but games and arcades are more expensive.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

drat Priestess got hands on Merciless.

Beat her with 1:11 left. Great way to remake the fight.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 4, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quick question: Does a weapon's accuracy stat affect just the regular hit, all skills, or what?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm glad they brought back the network feature to see what other people did each day. It means I can reassure myself that I'm not choosing completely idiotic activities - or at least that most other people are just as dumb as me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artelier posted:

Quick question: Does a weapon's accuracy stat affect just the regular hit, all skills, or what?

Only the regular attack.

Past the early game, only reason to pick weapons are usually stat boosts or status effects. At least that’s how it was in about every other game.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I think if you didn’t tell me there was a new cast I would have no idea Misturu had a new VA.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Platt is still in the game as Elizabeth so you can compare them!

People said that most of the original cast (sans Ken, Fuuka and Junpei)'s VAs were still in as cameos/bit parts/people they also voiced. Platt's Elizabeth, O'Brien's the cop who sells weapons, but where are Lowenthal, George, and Ruff?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yuri is Yukari's dad, Michelle is an antique shop keeper.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hermit is very funny, because it's basically the protagonist with less than a year left to live spending all day on a bunch of weekends/holidays flirting with his teacher (which he is absolutely aware of from at least, like, the third or fourth s-link) in an MMO.

The fact that the S-link scenes are so short marks the fact that you're presumably spending a long time with the person in question. So hanging out with friends after school, etc. But for the weekend one like that, you're presumably just straight-up spending like 8+ hours doing it.

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, I lost the first try. Second I was much more aggressive and had 2 or 3 minutes left.

I'm curious if things will get easier or harder later. On one hand, there are going to be enemies throwing out more AoEs and status effects, but you'll also be able to apply party buffs/heals more easily.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 4, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I like that Slink because getting way into an MMO and flirting with an older man / woman is an essential 2000's MMO experience.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

I took her out so fast because I did a fusion that had a skill evolve into arrow rain and lemme tell you that is a powerful skill for level 10. Never saw what hit her

Flowing Thot posted:

I like that Slink because getting way into an MMO and flirting with an older man / woman is an essential 2000's MMO experience.

Venting to people you know online is pretty classic MMO experience

Sloober fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 4, 2024

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

P3R is turning out to be a brand new experience for me between all the new stuff / changes and me forgetting a lot from the original game, and it kicks rear end. Really just feeling better than the later entries already

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

playing on the hardest difficulty i think i struggled harder to get through the first chunk of tartarus in one day than i did doing kamoshida's castle in one day. then afterwards the game showered me with almost 50 twilight fragments and a bunch of sp recovery items so somehow i don't think the next chunk will be as hard. digging remembering the horror i felt playing as a kid having to agree with all these dumbasses that their self destructive plans / lifestyles were totally cool, p3 mc remains king sociopath.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Junpei posted:

mass media is incapable of being revolutionary, and so anything trying to be has already been co-opted. Persona 5 was never going to be about the communist revolution, and hoping that it would be is delusional thinking

What about Chinese games where you can definitely encourage the communist revolution?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

What about Chinese games where you can definitely encourage the communist revolution?

That is essentially saying the same thing about the US and the revolutionary war.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Stux posted:

just play the game and talk to the characters you like and completely blank kenji even tho he texts you every day and you sit right in front of him. just refuse to even acknowledge his existence.

:same:

Since this is my 5th time replaying P3 I just did the SL I thought were much better and skipped the lower ones like Kenji and Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

i have literally not opened the phone once to look at texts. there does not appear to be any reason to. i have learned well from p5r.