Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ I saw a post that referred to the Apple Vision/Cybertruck dweeb as "the final boss of incels," lmao.

Wasn't sure whether to post this one in here or the America Bad thread, maybe it'll go in both:

https://twitter.com/esjesjesj/status/1753949576728342978

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hmm it almost seems like high speed chases are a bad idea but I guess we can't ban them because cops like getting to drive fast

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Driving fast is badass

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Hmm it almost seems like high speed chases are a bad idea but I guess we can't ban them because cops like getting to drive fast

Washington curtailed them a bit which led to cops whining a whole bunch and now there is going to be a ballot measure to uncurtail them

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

Driving fast is badass

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mister Speaker posted:

^ I saw a post that referred to the Apple Vision/Cybertruck dweeb as "the final boss of incels," lmao.

Wasn't sure whether to post this one in here or the America Bad thread, maybe it'll go in both:

Nothing anyone can say about this guy is as hosed up as that picture

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A chase right next to my house killed an unrelated to the chase motorcyclist a few years back. It was cited as one of the reasons we banned chases. It was a super stupid one too. Kicked off over a cop flagging expired tabs. Just loving mail a citation.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

As much as the surveillance state sucks, there's a lot of good reasons to track the movement of all registered vehicles on public roads by default. Pretty much eliminates the need for for police chases and most traffic enforcement.

Also enables average speed fines, which would create so much whining from drivers.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's kinda surprising to me that SPD didn't take the "no chase" decree and use it as a springboard to launch more abusive tactics on foot but then my surprise fades when I remember they really hate getting out of their cars for even a minute.

someone post the map of how 80% of SPD lives outside of the city.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's kinda surprising to me that SPD didn't take the "no chase" decree and use it as a springboard to launch more abusive tactics on foot but then my surprise fades when I remember they really hate getting out of their cars for even a minute.

someone post the map of how 80% of SPD lives outside of the city.

You mean like how we pioneered having the most abusive bike police force in the world?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Also enables average speed fines, which would create so much whining from drivers.

when I was in the army, one of the knee-jerk warnings about a posting to Korea is that their highways are all toll roads so they clock your average speed from your on and off booth passages and will mail you a ticket if you were speeding more than some small margin

even back in 2006 my reaction was “oh i bet that saves a ton of money and reduces road risk a lot”

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

wow, a human donut

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

LonsomeSon posted:

when I was in the army, one of the knee-jerk warnings about a posting to Korea is that their highways are all toll roads so they clock your average speed from your on and off booth passages and will mail you a ticket if you were speeding more than some small margin

even back in 2006 my reaction was “oh i bet that saves a ton of money and reduces road risk a lot”

in like 2015 it was the case that there were speed cameras in certain spots on the highways and everyone drove with a GPS device that told them precisely when to slow down to the speed limit and then they sped up right after lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Hit and run, dui, attempting to elude, street racing
If DUIs landed you in real trouble they wouldn't keep catching assholes on their 5th offense.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

in like 2015 it was the case that there were speed cameras in certain spots on the highways and everyone drove with a GPS device that told them precisely when to slow down to the speed limit and then they sped up right after lol
Cool so when we stick them everywhere people will actually slow the gently caress down. Funny how actual enforcement works.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Feb 4, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

If DUIs landed you in real trouble they wouldn't keep catching assholes on their 5th offense.

Cool so when we stick them everywhere people will actually slow the gently caress down. Funny how actual enforcement works.

Sorry I meant in combination with a fatality or a serious injury. Yeah just ordinary DUI doesn’t get you in all that much trouble compared to other things

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Teslaconomics/status/1754199840156987861

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
I thought Cybertruck wasn't available to the general public yet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

looks like an overpaid computer toucher who works for elon

but i've seen a few driving around and parked for the past several months, i figure it's employees or something

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

thought they started delivering to buyers in December

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Are they being registered as experimental or something? Or have NHTSA testing results been released?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are they being registered as experimental or something? Or have NHTSA testing results been released?

quote:

NHTSA added that it has not crash-tested the vehicle. The Cybertruck is not included in a list of model year 2024 vehicles NHTSA plans to test next year under its five-star safety ratings program.

Concerns arose about the Cybertruck after a Tesla video was shared on YouTube, demonstrating how the cabin remained virtually unscathed in a full frontal overlap test. There are no signs of a crumple zone.

Samer Hamdar, a George Washington University auto safety professor, told Reuters that while a lack of crumple zones concerned him, there could be other factors that accounted for it.

“There might be a possibility of shock-absorbent mechanism that will limit the fact that you have a limited crumple zone,” Hamdar said.
what if it has secret safety capabilities

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

thought they started delivering to buyers in December

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/30/23982569/tesla-cybertruck-delivery-price-specs-features-elon-musk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
but its hands free officer

quote:

I thought the car in front was a new driver, dude’s wearing a Vision Pro instead.
Events, Activities & Sports

Can’t believe dumb people like this exist. Wish I had it on dashcam but it wasn’t turned on. The guy didn’t yield to me when he turned right, forced his way on the left lane where I was from, then immediately stopped when he entered the road. All of this happened under 8 seconds somewhere in Hillsdale, San Mateo.

I decided to pass him when he stopped and that’s when I saw the silhouette of the Vision Pro.

Be careful everyone! People using this are looking at a screen and when it suddenly shut down for some reason, they’ll see nothing.

Can’t remember the car because I’m bad with makes and models, but it was a dark grey sedan probably from the early 2000s.

Edit: By the way, I LOVE tech and I love VR. I just hate people doing stuff like this that opens a tons of risks on the road.

lol when the power dies and their screen goes black, literally and metamorphically

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
love the VR though

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
wonder if we'll see a driver wearing VR or a pedestrian wearing VR die first (it'll be blamed on the pedestrian either way of course)

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Edit: By the way, I LOVE tech and I love VR.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Edit: By the way, I LOVE tech and I love VR.

Settle down, taintrunner

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

wonder if we'll see a driver wearing VR or a pedestrian wearing VR die first (it'll be blamed on the pedestrian either way of course)
statistically it'll be a driver wearing vr killing another driver in a t-bone or something not paying attention to the red light that's being covered up by their twitter notification banner.

i almost cut the last line but then on second glance it was also the funniest part. it's amazing how everyone's brains are melted online to not appear luddite or 'anti-tech''

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

i say swears online posted:

what if it has secret safety capabilities

i have a question. how can u sell a car w/out these tests and such being done.

i remember a couple years ago, Kandy, a chinese company, was going to sell a small econobox EV for $10,000 in the USA, they were on lots somewhere in the midwest with available delivery to CA. i was hype. but then they went away, citing regulatory issues.

??

Smythe has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Feb 5, 2024

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

gradenko_2000 posted:

Settle down, taintrunner

lol now theres a throwback

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bribes

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Smythe posted:

i remember a couple years ago, Candy, a chinese company, was going to sell a small econobox EV for $10,000 in the USA, they were on lots somewhere in the midwest with available delivery to CA. i was hype. but then they went away, citing regulatory issues.

??
can't
cars have to be 25yo to bypass safety reqs, that's why there weren't any r32 skylines in the us until like 2015
otherwise u have to modify so much that ur gonna be cutting tht whole thing in half, minimum firewall & beam thickness and stuff like that

i think they can get away w/ it in china because their roads are much less deadly and cars more optional

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Smythe posted:

i remember a couple years ago, Kandy, a chinese company, was going to sell a small econobox EV for $10,000 in the USA, they were on lots somewhere in the midwest with available delivery to CA. i was hype. but then they went away, citing regulatory issues.

??

lol

quote:

The expense is too great for NHTSA and the IIHS to test all vehicles, so choices are made based on car sales volume and testing budgets.

[...]

To be certified for sale, every new model sold in the U.S. must be crash-tested internally to ensure minimum federal safety standards are met. But a publicly available rating isn't required.

[...]

Currently, no Jaguar, Land Rover, or Porsche models are rated by NHTSA or the IIHS. Last year, those three automakers represented almost half of all vehicles sold without any public crash-test ratings—or more than 185,000 new vehicles on American roads.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

lol big surprise

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
my mom had a 1980 jaguar xj6 and it was a piece of poo poo. they needa inspect these heaps

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
next Q: is ANY tesla inspected? :ninja:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Self‐certification is the sort of public–private partnership that all the cool kids love.

It’s worked out so well with Boeing.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

thinking more on this: i dont think the expense would be too great to test all vehicles. i think its probably pretty cheap to do, relatively...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Self‐certification is the sort of public–private partnership that all the cool kids love.

It’s worked out so well with Boeing.

Civil liability will keep them in line, surely it will work this time.