Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Unlucky7 posted:

Went online for the first time ever with Paul. Got completely washed by a Feng using Special Style, but won 2-1 against a Reina afterward, where I got a little better about breaking throws and remembering "Oh yeah, I have Deathfist".

Speaking of breaking throws, is it a thing where I start to notice which hand they lead with and breaking with that, or is it still kind of a 50-50 thing?

watch this video about learning throw breaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUUbuzuelA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Things I'm too lazy to Google right now- did law lose his 14 frame launcher in t8 and did Feng have armor moves from bt and shifting clouds in t7? I think he didn't but I could be wrong

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Despite sounding like it comes through the 2000's, I literally can't stop the opening movie music from playing in my head on loop.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Really wish you could just filter out wifi users completely. Had too many 5 bar wifi connections that were absolute poo poo. Manually rejecting 3 wifis to get to a wired is just a waste of time.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Seltzer posted:

Really wish you could just filter out wifi users completely. Had too many 5 bar wifi connections that were absolute poo poo. Manually rejecting 3 wifis to get to a wired is just a waste of time.

I'm glad to see others are having this same headache, I was assuming it was me being bad (i am) and making excuses but wireless players continue to make fighters not fun for me online.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

faantastic posted:

I'm glad to see others are having this same headache, I was assuming it was me being bad (i am) and making excuses but wireless players continue to make fighters not fun for me online.

Wifi is always worse but 5 bar wifi in SF6 is much better than tekken and usually ok, that game has better netcode in general. I've been playing a lot of quick play trying out different characters and during quick play I'll usually accept 5 bar wifi but I just played such a poo poo match I decided it's not worth it anymore. It's funny that they let you see the wifi icon but you have to manually filter.

E- I'm not even kidding when I say that I occasionally play tekken 6 online and the 5 bar connections there are more consistent. It's probably because everyone left is wired/not having to play against people on badly specced PCs.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Wifi can be fine and it can be poo poo. The real problem is that there's just no indicator. It has nothing to do with the number of bars whatever it is.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also why did they take out the opportunity to continue rematching in casual...... Is it just a measure to force people to play the dumb avatar arcade mode? Kinda annoying

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I wonder why it is that first fights against Wifi users are just fine with no connection problems usually, but the second we do a rematch it becomes hell. It is strangely consistent.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Basticle posted:

In my experience games with ping over 80 are still pretty decent and games against wifi users are still playable but if they're both of those things it's a loving unplayable nightmare

Filtering by 5 has reduced my wifi vs rate by a LOT (or to stable enough ones to where i cant tell either way). Even filtering at 4 half my matches were jittery poo poo.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Seltzer posted:

Also why did they take out the opportunity to continue rematching in casual...... Is it just a measure to force people to play the dumb avatar arcade mode? Kinda annoying

Yeah this is super weird, in sf6 I like just playing casual for forever doing ft10s with people.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
I’m so bad but this game is so good.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
One day I'll find a way out of the costume creator and try this game.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Weasling Weasel posted:

Despite sounding like it comes through the 2000's, I literally can't stop the opening movie music from playing in my head on loop.

It sounds like it's from Revengeance

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Seltzer posted:

I completely forgot that thing existed, you can actually deathmatch there?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Weasling Weasel posted:

Just remember

NOOO SURRRRREENNNDDDEEERR

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How many alternate costumes can you unlock per character?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Most have 1 unlockable costume. A few have a 2nd that's borrowed from another character. You get them all from beating dev ghosts.

The campaign unlocks a couple too. I can't remember if they were for others than Jin and Kaz.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I see. I’m a little disappointed then that Lili’s unlockable costumes are “Asuka’s default” and “Lili’s default without the dress” … but I guess most characters unlockable costumes are like that now that I think about it

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

True, but at least Lili does better than the face of the game.

Lili gets 3 unique dresses. Reina is all hoodie variations, random parts from the costume store, and one high effort samurai suit.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
So I've been a Julia main for years and pretty much stuck to couch matches against friends exclusively. If I pick up T8, who would feel closest to Julia for me to try?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Jun is crazy in this game. Her wall combo with ff3,3+4 leads to a guaranteed 1+2 and does like 35%

Her combo damage is insane: https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableModernBadgerOSfrog-cuxJVxDopWGsF-rQ

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 4, 2024

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Is there any way to disable character customizations (PC)?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
no

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

You're going to have to look at my character with hair growing out of their eyes for the whole match, sorry.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am learning by just getting my rear end beat over and over as yoshimitsu, and then sometimes watching yoshi matches where I go “goddamn that’s a move he has? What”

Such a weird FG learning experience compared to an SF or GG. Like flat out not knowing all the moves is wild to me lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yoshi tip: helicopter mode is insanely safe for some reason and everything mixes up into everyone else

Weasling Weasel posted:

In Arcade quest when you get to the arcade that remixes I think the TTT1 theme music I FLIPPED OUT

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 4, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I see. I’m a little disappointed then that Lili’s unlockable costumes are “Asuka’s default” and “Lili’s default without the dress” … but I guess most characters unlockable costumes are like that now that I think about it

Bryan's is just his p1 default but with a black tshirt on which sounds lame, until you put a little red beret on him and have Krauser

Tibbeh posted:

So I've been a Julia main for years and pretty much stuck to couch matches against friends exclusively. If I pick up T8, who would feel closest to Julia for me to try?

Probably Leo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I spent a chunk of time unlocking super ghost outfits today and so many of them are incredibly lame

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tibbeh posted:

If you are looking for the character most likely to be a Twitch streamer it's Azucena

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got the neogeo 8bit do controller coming in the mail tomorrow. Excited to check out the deathfist action on click-stick

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Finally really got out there and threw down. Went with Feng. It's gonna take a while for me to get used to the flow and learn what to do when, but counter hitting string happy people with his b1 is a ball. I love being this bad. So much to learn.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Never Sleeps has been doing weeklies for fighting games for a while now, they started their T8 a few days ago. It's a fun watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y4FUw1pCDI
These aren't your sponsored/globetrotting A-listers, but it's a solid bunch. For the 2 or so Nina-curious in the thread: Victeemo (formerly Victim of Ritual) is in the tourney; he's a well known Nina monster and is showing off some stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Definitely watching that, thanks.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am learning by just getting my rear end beat over and over as yoshimitsu, and then sometimes watching yoshi matches where I go “goddamn that’s a move he has? What”

"And then, THE AWESOME GHOST discovered eyemusician, and then they died."

Char
Jan 5, 2013
ok so why am I getting thrashed by all the hwoarangs and reinas I find at green ranks
it feels like they can keep attacking without risking anything

edit: as soon as I rant, I get two wins where I pretty much do the same as lili, but with opponents knocked down, doing snake edges and flips on their heads

Edit2: Paul intro where he's doing wheelies. drat

Char fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 5, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Hwoarangs is allowed to just keep attacking with his annoying stances. You have to know where the gaps are and hit him low/low parry him/know he's open for a split second. You might be able to find a little spot to d1 poke him out on your own, or if you have an evasive character you can use their moves like Feng's b1 to punish or uf2 if you can't find a gap.

Reina doesn't have any particular chain attack thing going on. If you see her spinning or doing a kind of squatting stance without hitting (full hit, not blocked) you then she's negative and you can jab her out of it. Don't get scared of the spins (this is similar to Victor's teleporting). The ends of most of her strings are very punishable, and she has bad lows, so just block normally and punish them for finishing any strings. If they never finish strings then just take your turn back. Her best plus moves are her f4 downward kick and her double jumpkick from stance, but if she hasn't done those it probably isn't her turn and you can fish for jabs. Oh, also her move where she rolls onto you after spinning. Actually the f4 kick in particular is probably the most annoying one now that I think of it because it comes out fast. Its range is kind of bad though. She's also supposed to be weak to side walking but I haven't noticed it.

Oh poo poo more advice, I forgot about her ff punch that sends her into a spin that's + (it's got lightning and she kind of kneels, you'll know it). Her high kick comes out fast enough to beat your options, so you'd have to low poke that one if you wanted to consistently shut it down.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 5, 2024

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Got really annoyed at the victor block string into gunshot safe tp so I trained myself to duck the gunshot and punish for an easy 70 damage combo on Feng. Immediately after I trained myself to do that I queued ranked again and faced a victor who did not ever do the gunshot block string but did sometimes pause and follow up with a mid to catch my dumb rear end ducking. Tekken!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm still flailing around wildly with jun but things learned in mid red ranks:

uf+1 is insane. as is FC df+1. turn off your brain for all 10 frame punishes and simply bask in the damage.

f+1+2 is +6 on block WTF. sidestep 4 is +8. both are very good.

FC df+2 leads to some crazy damage on CH.

all combos lead to GEN 2 and it's a fuckin sweet rear end move to finish combos with.

that trick posted above about doing crouch-cancellable moves (i.e., b+1 or f+2 once they're scared of it) into the df+1+2 grab is actually insane. leads to full 4 > b+4, 2 > f3, IZU 2 2 > b+2, 1 > f(GEN) > 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Found some good combo videos for my fellow costume mains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPE7yS7IVrQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyckKJz65OI

Not sure what they used for Black Mask's pupils, but you get Deadpool eyes if you use horns. Just a shame the helmet is too metallic for any of the 'Pools

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 5, 2024