Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Carthag Tuek posted:

Pat Benatar isnt a dude. I think at some point I accidentally categorized the name with like Frankie Valli-type lounge acts?

I do know a bunch of her songs though, it turns out.

I used to picture Sammy Hagar when I heard Pat Benatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

99% sure I've posted this before, but I used to think Patti Smith and Patty Smyth were the same person. Thinking to myself 'wow, she really changed her style (and voice) during the eighties, but you know, many artists did'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50-gOeBilc

Uhh...brunette...guitars and stuff...both had a handful of pretty good songs...definitely understandable and normal for me to think that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phlegmish posted:

Patti Smith and Patty Smyth

i mean thats a sensible mixup imo

maybe i thought Pat was short for Patrick

MariusLecter posted:

I used to picture Sammy Hagar when I heard Pat Benatar.

haha idk if thats better or worse

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Phlegmish posted:

Only one I know is Love Is A Battlefield, but really, do you need any more? Still remember that dance-off against the pimp

e: bassline intensifies

"hey look, she's running away from home and she's only thirty" ~ Beavis and Butthead

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"Don't wait up" doesn't necessarily mean "I'm stopping, you go on ahead"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it means don't stay awake until I get home

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh they got that all wrong

"don't wait? up!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Captain Splendid posted:

"Don't wait up" doesn't necessarily mean "I'm stopping, you go on ahead"

What else does it mean? I always heard it as you go ahead

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

it means don't stay awake until I get home

Sometimes with the added implication that I may not be home tonight :wink:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
There is an old song, "kisses sweeter than wine", that several bands have covered. Itwas first performed by the weavers in 1951. But it turns out thatit's old than that, since they took the melody from a Lead Belly song. He wrote the melody, but in turn adapted the lyrics from an old Irish folk song. Here's Lead Belly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccfmQc2LRus

There's nothing surprising about white musicians popularizing (or stealing) black blues music, but I was surprised that the refrain "kisses sweeter than wine" was originally "switches beated him down", and it's kinda neat how well they both fit the melody

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Birbs is not pronounced "beerbs"

It's just a different way of spelling "berbs"

Which is pronounced "berbs"

birbs = berbs

I know

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

birbs = berbs

I know

Unless of course you're Kiwi, in which case birbs is pronounced "beerbs" and "beerbs" is pronounced "bayrbs."

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

credburn posted:

birbs = berbs

I know

birbs is birds with a single letter changed and it sounds like birds with a single letter changed. you took a fairly circuitous route to realize this tbh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The base A-Wing design from RotJ is just a store bought model kit F-14 Lucas and co hacked the cockpit, horizontal stabilizers, and wings off of

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cyril from Archer and Jerry from Rick and Morty have the same voice actor. I don't know why I never noticed, especially since he does the two voices almost identically and both characters spend a lot of time in the same mood (flustered).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The base A-Wing design from RotJ is just a store bought model kit F-14 Lucas and co hacked the cockpit, horizontal stabilizers, and wings off of

That's fun, I'm surprised I never knew it with all the time I spent being obsessed with special effects work and model kits when I was younger.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's neat that you could identify the specific bits involved. The technique in general is called "kitbashing", and it's a good way to make sci-fi props. It's kinda like buying a bunch of lego sets and then mixing their parts together to make weird stuff, except you do it with kits instead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The technique in general is called "kitbashing", and it's a good way to make sci-fi props. It's kinda like buying a bunch of lego sets and then mixing their parts together to make weird stuff, except you do it with kits instead.

Oh yeah it happens ALL the time, the models guys at ILM used to buy up piles of old kits for greebling.

Here's a fun one: this random doodad hanging off the ceiling in Aliens is the classic Transformers toy Shockwave

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Been hearing white guys sing Gold Digger at karaoke for like ten years and this is the first time I realized the reason why the song is so dumb is the album version contains the N word and the karaoke version contains what I've been hearing for the last decade as "brokey broke" but last night discovered they're saying "broke bro" which makes more sense.

I've been hearing white guys talk about being a "brokey broke" for ten years not knowing what the gently caress that's supposed to be.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I ain't saying she a gold digger but she has secured a pickaxe and an old-timey helmet with an oil lamp

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
she does keep doing a jig and feverishly whispering gold, gold

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

She does say “them thar” an awful lot :shuckyes:

…I was really hoping we had a :goldmine: smiley

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

Been hearing white guys sing Gold Digger at karaoke for like ten years and this is the first time I realized the reason why the song is so dumb is the album version contains the N word and the karaoke version contains what I've been hearing for the last decade as "brokey broke" but last night discovered they're saying "broke bro" which makes more sense.

I've been hearing white guys talk about being a "brokey broke" for ten years not knowing what the gently caress that's supposed to be.

Weird Al did a polka with Gold Digger in it and says "broke bloke" which is probably the best possible way to do something like that.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In a little over a year, the midpoint for the Simpsons will be the Simpsons Movie

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
While Captain Disillusion and the Masked Magician both reveal how some magic tricks are done, they are not the same person. Some part of me once figured that the Masked Magician pivoted to YouTube and got much younger, I guess.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Raul Julia's eye fell out while filming Addams Family Values!

Drakyn posted:

This maybe isn't quite on topic for the thread, but it happened while filming a movie based on funny comic panels so I think it's close enough to count.

"Angelica Huston, Describing That Time Raul Julia's Eyeball Fell Out posted:

Some time midway through the shoot [of Addams Family Values]: I came on set one morning and someone said, “Raul’s eye fell out last night.”

I said, “What are you talking about?”

They said that he was in a bar, I think Sunset Tower. And he was with a rock-and-roll star, sitting at the bar. And his eye fell out.

I said, “You’ve got to be kidding.”

Raul showed up on set. Of course, he never missed a day. And one eye was severely bloodshot.

I said, “Raul! What happened?”

And he described his eye falling out.

I said, “My God! Can you still see with it?” Cause it literally fell onto his chest.

He said, “Yes.” He was still kind of seeing out of it.

I said, “My god, what did you do?”

He said, “Well, I took ahold of it and put it back in.”

That afternoon, I called up every joke store in L.A. and bought every pair of those joke glasses on springs, where the eyeballs fall out. So the next morning, when Raul walked onto the set, the entire crew was wearing these glasses. He laughed like hell. It was serious, but it was also really bizarre.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007

Phy posted:

I'm not an eye doctor but I work with them, and my understanding is that it is physically impossible for an eye to fall out of the socket because the optic nerve prevents it from moving very far. Could be a case of Hollywood storytelling?
Also, is this something you just realised?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Phy posted:

I really hope that happened on a Tuesday.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Splendid posted:

In a little over a year, the midpoint for the Simpsons will be the Simpsons Movie

Your maths is way off. They only made about 9 series of the Simpsons.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wezmon posted:

Could be a case of Hollywood storytelling?

Sure, but I'm not gonna fight Angelica Huston about it. And it's more like something I just learned, but the "pyf thing you just learned" threads keep dying.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Watched that Tim Heidecker stand up special and realized that one is Tim, and the other guy is Eric. Had'em mixed up this whole time.

credburn has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Feb 6, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phy posted:

Joe Rogan: "So I went to the bar that makes your eye fall out."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe it was less this

And more this

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Laurence Fishburne’s less successful brother had to rely on a gimmick to be noticed

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

wezmon posted:

I'm not an eye doctor but I work with them, and my understanding is that it is physically impossible for an eye to fall out of the socket because the optic nerve prevents it from moving very far. Could be a case of Hollywood storytelling?

Sounds like the eyes your doctors work on have little or no optic nerve service loop. Code specifies 6 inches, at least here, but that's only for the initial setup, if the nerve has to be re-terminated (such as if the eye is replaced or the splice goes bad) you're gonna lose about an inch each time, but you generally want to run a whole new nerve once you get down real short, so you don't end up in an emergency having to redo it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Sounds like the eyes your doctors work on have little or no optic nerve service loop. Code specifies 6 inches, at least here, but that's only for the initial setup, if the nerve has to be re-terminated (such as if the eye is replaced or the splice goes bad) you're gonna lose about an inch each time, but you generally want to run a whole new nerve once you get down real short, so you don't end up in an emergency having to redo it.
/

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You know those weird looking ubiquitous mail trucks that are driven by the USPS and no one else ever? They're manufactured (or were, don't think they're still making them) by Northrop Grumman.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Good ol’ LLVs.

The youngest ones are about thirty now. Grumman was the contractor, but they are basically Chevys underneath the space-age body.

The trucks with the curved hood are Ford-made and fiveish years younger.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

USPS in my town is just now switching away from those, to something that looks like a regular van. The old ones apparently had barely working heat even back when they were new, which is not great in an area that hits -35F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I spoke with one of the mail delivery people in my area, they said the old trucks were more convenient in some ways, but holy poo poo the new ones have air conditioning, that is 100% worth it.