Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't he a college Lit professor himself now? I can only imagine how many potential writers he's poisoned.

I must admit its hard to picture him as faculty given that, in academia at least, its publish or perish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He's probably the sort of adjunct professor many creative writing programs employ. I took one creative writing course in college and the guy teaching it had not published anything. He was working on something, but I honestly can't remember anything about the class other than when he talked about his regrets in life and how weird it was to see people he knew back in highschool now having kids.

Now that I'm in another creative industry professionally I notice the same thing, that many of those teaching the discipline either weren't good enough to land a job in the industry, or got fed up with the instability of industry work and decided to take a teaching job instead for the relative stability and benefits. Unfortunately this tends to create a very weak student population and the people trying to enter a competitive industry have it even harder (which I guess is better for me, less real competition for jobs.)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I think he’s been a professor since The Name of the Wind came out? I do remember that he apparently took 9 years in college and only graduated because the school told him to pick a major already.

Which probably explains the 60 year old Cool Guy who was still a student in the book.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He was probably a lecturer or some similar title because I think professor is reserved for PhDs.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

He was probably a lecturer or some similar title because I think professor is reserved for PhDs.

Ah yeah, I did see him listed as a lecturer, instead of professor.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kchama posted:

I think he’s been a professor since The Name of the Wind came out? I do remember that he apparently took 9 years in college and only graduated because the school told him to pick a major already.

I think I posted this about these books before, but I feel like the entire tone of Kvothe achieving all these AMAZING DEEDS and EPIC SEX QUESTS and SCHOOL ADMIN SHENANIGANS, and then he's a forgotten washed-up nobody by 25 or whatever, is completely "guy who peaked, or thought he peaked, in college." It certainly fits with a dude who just hosed around for nine years before being asked to leave.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I think I posted this about these books before, but I feel like the entire tone of Kvothe achieving all these AMAZING DEEDS and EPIC SEX QUESTS and SCHOOL ADMIN SHENANIGANS, and then he's a forgotten washed-up nobody by 25 or whatever, is completely "guy who peaked, or thought he peaked, in college." It certainly fits with a dude who just hosed around for nine years before being asked to leave.

Also explains why his 16 year old protagonist is in Wizard College instead of Wizard High School.

I always had a feeling that it was originally suppose to be Wizard Middle School but Rothfuss was a lot more mad about college than earlier school and so aged up everyone to make it fit his agenda, which is why there’s so much School Drama, but with sex and booze.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know if Rothfuss was a huge academic gently caress up. He got his BA at 25, and then got his Masters 3 years later.

Not amazing, but not like he was forced out.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
But where are the fascinating play-by-play details on how he financed his education? I’m sure that would make for some gripping reading.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I got my BS at 25 and my MPH at 30 :smith:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Scholtz posted:

I got my BS at 25 and my MPH at 30 :smith:

I'm in canada so we use KPH but yeah it took me 13 years to get my 3 year bachelors

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was able to warn someone off these books today. They just started reading fantasy and after they finish Robin Hobbs assassin trilogy a friend of theirs told them to read Mistborn and Kingkiller. I suggested to skip Kingkiller and gave some context and they say they’ll probably try First Law instead.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'd honestly recommend The Hobbit if they're really new to the genre and then A Wizard of Earthsea. Ease them in with books that aren't doorstoppers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ccs posted:

I was able to warn someone off these books today. They just started reading fantasy and after they finish Robin Hobbs assassin trilogy a friend of theirs told them to read Mistborn and Kingkiller. I suggested to skip Kingkiller and gave some context and they say they’ll probably try First Law instead.

First Law Best Law.

Like Sanderson did for Wheel of Time, I'd pay good money to see Joe Abercrombie's take on the third Kingkiller book.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ccs posted:

Black Company original trilogy is a solid choice.

The sequels get less and less good as they progress.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

I don't know if Rothfuss was a huge academic gently caress up. He got his BA at 25, and then got his Masters 3 years later.

Not amazing, but not like he was forced out.

There’s a reason why I compared him to the old guy who was still at Wizard College, because his issue was that he spent years changing his major again and again. He went from chemical engineer to clinicial psychologist to English. He got his BA after 9 years.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kchama posted:

There’s a reason why I compared him to the old guy who was still at Wizard College, because his issue was that he spent years changing his major again and again. He went from chemical engineer to clinicial psychologist to English. He got his BA after 9 years.

Is part of his persona starting college at 16?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah if he graduated at 25, it's more likely that he attended for 7-8 years than 9, still odd. If he somehow started at 17 or did PSEO at 16, he could then easily have done 8-9 years depending on if he graduated in the Winter or Spring.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

Is part of his persona starting college at 16?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah if he graduated at 25, it's more likely that he attended for 7-8 years than 9, still odd. If he somehow started at 17 or did PSEO at 16, he could then easily have done 8-9 years depending on if he graduated in the Winter or Spring.

I mean, Kvothe started Wizard College at 16!!!

But yeah, it is according to himself that he graduated in 1999 after 9 years, because he kept changing his major and was finally told to pick something or else. So I guess it IS part of his Persona that he started college at 16.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kchama posted:

But yeah, it is according to himself that he graduated in 1999 after 9 years, because he kept changing his major and was finally told to pick something or else. So I guess it IS part of his Persona that he started college at 16.

I mean, the alternative is that Rothfuss exaggerated or lied about it, but how likely could that possibly be??

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pentyne posted:

Black Company original trilogy is a solid choice.

The sequels get less and less good as they progress.

Abercrombies subsequent books are worse than the The Last Argument of Kings? Yikes.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Abercrombies subsequent books are worse than the The Last Argument of Kings? Yikes.

Black Company is by Glen Cook, not Abercrombie (unless I’m missing a joke here)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PJOmega posted:

You say this as if his first books are good in the first place and not weirdly overblown by goons. WoK might not be amazing but Abercrombie's first series is mid-tier at best and it wields foreshadowing like a giant neon green club.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dienes posted:

I mean, the alternative is that Rothfuss exaggerated or lied about it, but how likely could that possibly be??

I know! It's very impossible!

But since he insists, I'm gonna just accept he was too dumb to finish in less than 9 years.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You say this as if his first books are good in the first place and not weirdly overblown by goons. WoK might not be amazing but Abercrombie's first series is mid-tier at best and it wields foreshadowing like a giant neon green club.

WoK? I'm not up and up on these authors.

mewse
May 2, 2006

WoK = The First Law Trilogy

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mewse posted:

WoK = The First Law Trilogy

Oh, okay. I was wondering why Sanderson books were suddenly being brought up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm joking I don't know what WoK means in that context

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wrath of Khan, hope that helps : )

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

I know! It's very impossible!

But since he insists, I'm gonna just accept he was too dumb to finish in less than 9 years.

WoK? I'm not up and up on these authors.

Sorry I meant last argument of kings but I'd just been looking at the Sanderson thread and ending up with the wrong book abbreviation in my head.

Basically, the book (and First Law in general) is ok but it is not subtle or quite as good as people tend to make it out to be. Though I'd also reread Way of Kings before Last Argument of Kings.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Black Company is by Glen Cook, not Abercrombie (unless I’m missing a joke here)

Nah that was me getting mixed up. My bad!

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

This series is great

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Boy one recap and it’s already defeated the recapper, Pat claims another one

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mp5 posted:

Boy one recap and it’s already defeated the recapper, Pat claims another one

He didn't even GET to the recap! He was defeated the FOREWORD.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

In the 2000 pages of the Kingkiller Chronicle, has there been any mention of any king anywhere ever?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In the 2000 pages of the Kingkiller Chronicle, has there been any mention of any king anywhere ever?

Its implied that Ambrose is like the 30th in line to the throne, that's about it. I don't recall the exact number, but would assume he'd be the one Kvothe kills because then there's no moral ambiguity to Kvothe's actions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dienes posted:

Its implied that Ambrose is like the 30th in line to the throne, that's about it.

13th or so and it’s stated. I think he’s been moving up through the series as well.

quote:

Ambrose’s father might be the most powerful baron in all of Vintas, a dozen steps from royalty.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dienes posted:

Its implied that Ambrose is like the 30th in line to the throne, that's about it. I don't recall the exact number, but would assume he'd be the one Kvothe kills because then there's no moral ambiguity to Kvothe's actions.

So who's on the throne now?

The throne of what?

Is the University in the area governed by this throne? What about Inquisition City? What about the Mayor's City?

Is the Mayor a vassal of a king? If not, how is he not a king himself? If so, why is this never mentioned?

Are there other kings at all, or just the one?

A major plotline in the second book is an attempt to assassinate the Mayor. Is there a single actual suspect for who might benefit from this and have a motive and might be behind it?

It's genuinely baffling that in a series praised for its worldbuilding, the world seems so... unbuilt.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I still don't know how you write a story called the King Killer Chronicles and then forget to introduce a king for the killing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah it's still unclear who the king who is killed is precisely. There IS a king in the setting, but he's a very minor character who mostly comes up in the whole Maer arc. Yes, 'Mayor'. His name is Roderic Calanthis and he's the king of Vintas. According to Rothfuss Kvothe will meet him in book three but who is to say he didn't just make that up off the top of his head. The Maer is basically a king too, just one who pays a tithe to Calenthis.

Notably, the Maer's colors match the colors of one of the successor to the dead king that Kvothe killed. The "Penitent King". So he's not the dead guy. So with literally only one other King in the series, it has to be Calanthis. it just doesn't really make sense to keep it a mystery considering the story is set apparently years after his killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kchama posted:

Notably, the Maer's colors match the colors of one of the successor to the dead king that Kvothe killed. The "Penitent King". So he's not the dead guy.

I'm probably not reading this right but doesn't this suggest it could be the Maer and not the opposite?