Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Imperador do Brasil posted:

My wife’s escape has the rotary shifter and I HATE IT, but at least it’s got PRNDL with clicky detents and it’s on the center console instead of near the loving volume knob.

I have a shittier version of your wife's car as a work vehicle and it's fine.... The knob spins infinitely so it's one click to reverse and spin however far who cares to the right for drive. It does take advantage of it being electronic and half the time I don't put it in park, I just hit the off button. Especially since I keep it in stop hold mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Elviscat posted:

I'm a little more partial to the Nissan Leaf's weirdo little... thing though, still really easy to use without looking, but more esthetically pleasing, imo. Down for drive, up for reverse, straight and hold awkwardly for a long time for neutral, push the top for P.

As much as I loved my Leaf for the time I had it, I found out the hard way that if you let this thing "bounce" there's the possibility that it can flick itself into reverse. Almost backed into something after I thought I was in D-without-eco. Was very, very careful after that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll never understand how it can keep happening that people whose ostensible job is to design the clearest, simplest, most foolproof interfaces for common and ubiquitous controls will just continually a) try to reinvent it because INNOVATION or something, and b) fundamentally not understand user interface.

Like my Audi A3 which had thumb controls on the steering wheel for the audio volume and for track selection. One of them (on the left) was a set of up/down pushbuttons, and the other (on the right) was a thumbwheel. Guess which one was which?

WRONG!

Yes Audi I want to change volume by pressing UP-UP-UP-UP oh no something is happening I need to turn it down DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN

I don't like this song, let me quickly scroll invisibly to 5 SONGS DOWN THE LIST I CAN'T SEE

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I'll never understand how it can keep happening that people whose ostensible job is to design the clearest, simplest, most foolproof interfaces for common and ubiquitous controls will just continually a) try to reinvent it because INNOVATION or something, and b) fundamentally not understand user interface.

Like my Audi A3 which had thumb controls on the steering wheel for the audio volume and for track selection. One of them (on the left) was a set of up/down pushbuttons, and the other (on the right) was a thumbwheel. Guess which one was which?

WRONG!

Yes Audi I want to change volume by pressing UP-UP-UP-UP oh no something is happening I need to turn it down DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN

I don't like this song, let me quickly scroll invisibly to 5 SONGS DOWN THE LIST I CAN'T SEE

My newer Tacoma has volume and track selection on the left d-pad on the steering wheel, but some absolute psychopath decided that track skip should be up/down and volume should be left/right. It is the opposite of every other vehicle I drive regularly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

sirbeefalot posted:

My newer Tacoma has volume and track selection on the left d-pad on the steering wheel, but some absolute psychopath decided that track skip should be up/down and volume should be left/right. It is the opposite of every other vehicle I drive regularly.

I got same thing going on on my infiniti, but the thumbswitches have different shapes/textures so it's pretty easy to remember.

up/down on that switch labled "enter" changes tracks, and left right on the sound one is volume.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

In my '19 Golf, one of these steering wheel toggles controls the radio volume, and one of these controls the cruise control speed. Can you guess which is which?

It was VERY interesting to look down one time and see I'd unknowingly bumped the cruise speed up to 105 mph.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 2, 2024

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I sincerely hope that the silver is cruise.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm going to assume the triangles are for descent control and not volume.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm going to assume the triangles are for descent control and not volume.

Only if it was a Saab.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

sirbeefalot posted:

Toyota can't even keep it consistent. My old Rav4 had the track controls as up and down, volume left and right, but my prius is the exact opposite.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Having a thumb wheel for volume control was my favorite thing on the Alfa I got as a rental. Every car that has volume on the wheel should use that interface, it's intuitive, tactile and granular.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

I want a tiller for steering myself.

Do you really need to steer yourself?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I refer to my earlier comments about column-shifter supremacy

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NoWake posted:

In my '19 Golf, one of these steering wheel toggles controls the radio volume, and one of these controls the cruise control speed. Can you guess which is which?

It was VERY interesting to look down one time and see I'd unknowingly bumped the cruise speed up to 105 mph.

I very much hate my wife's VW's cruise buttons. Maybe kuz I'm old and think that a stalk is just fuckin fine it's been good for ages.. there's also zero "feel" on those buttons so you don't know where the resume plus minus and cancel are.. you have to look if you don't use it often.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

All I know is that somehow, doesn't matter where, the second I hit the cruise button I attract everyone who feels the need to cut me off and drive below the limit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

All I know is that somehow, doesn't matter where, the second I hit the cruise button I attract everyone who feels the need to cut me off and drive below the limit.

this is the true mechanical failure.. Humans.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My Avenger has a up/down joystick on the left to pick the speed and a button to cycle thru the cruise control mode (standard/adaptive/level2 assisted)

Cycling thru the cruise control modes is a mess since it usually registers multiple button presses as one, engaging pretty whatever it feels like at the moment.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Of all of the CC gripes there are, I think it's hilarious that the closest follow distance I can set my ACC to enrages other drivers because I'm not all the way up the rear end of the car ahead of me

Stalk CC does belong in the trash though

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tater_salad posted:

Maybe kuz I'm old and think that a stalk is just fuckin fine it's been good for ages..
I'm not conceptually against a stalk for cruise but I've only ever encountered it on Toyotas where some moron decided it was a good idea to have the stalk stick out of the bottom side of the wheel where it can intrude in to the knee space when turning. gently caress those stalks in particular.

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is why a good adaptive cruise system is on my must-have list for my next modern car. The last few cars I've rented for long trips have had it and it's an absolute game changer for my frustration level on the highway.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Door Frame posted:

Of all of the CC gripes there are, I think it's hilarious that the closest follow distance I can set my ACC to enrages other drivers because I'm not all the way up the rear end of the car ahead of me

Stalk CC does belong in the trash though

That gets a hearty LOL out of me now. I'm sure if you look through my post history you'll see me complain about it and now I'm totally on board that the closest follow distance is the right distance. If someone really wants to squeeze in, honestly I probably should have let them in anyway.

I also have been sticking with my speed limit plus one MPH since November and it's fantastic. I get passed by a lot of folks speeding when traffic opens up just to see them again in a few minutes when it's blocked up again. The only way they are making up any time is if they're taking the exit before the slowdown and they rarely are, which is perfectly logical since those exits aren't popular and that's why traffic flows so well past them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

wolrah posted:

This is why a good adaptive cruise system is on my must-have list for my next modern car. The last few cars I've rented for long trips have had it and it's an absolute game changer for my frustration level on the highway.

I've become convinced there are people who do that on purpose, the same way there are people who deliberately door ding new cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

That is why the modern car needs a tiller.

Funny you say that, in the fishing skiff community there's a big divide between the tiller and steering wheel crowd. Myself I love the simplicity of a tiller and the extra space it provides :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

StormDrain posted:

I also have been sticking with my speed limit plus one MPH since November and it's fantastic. I get passed by a lot of folks speeding when traffic opens up just to see them again in a few minutes when it's blocked up again. The only way they are making up any time is if they're taking the exit before the slowdown and they rarely are, which is perfectly logical since those exits aren't popular and that's why traffic flows so well past them.

I always like the deja vu crap. Pass an interesting load on a tractor trailer...then someone needs the pee break. Fifteen minutes later you pass the same drat thing again.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

It really is great, though implementation is still variable. The same Tacoma with the backwards volume/track controls has ACC, and it has no finesse when accelerating or especially braking, and cuts off below 25mph, so it's generally useless at rush hour on the freeway. While cruising it's fine. I think it's a symptom of being paired with a regular ol' V6+auto plus regular braking system.

Our Accord Hybrid on the other hand is buttery smooth when accelerating and braking while in ACC, and can gently come all the way to a stop by itself, ready to resume with a tap of the accelerator. The CVT and electric motor helps a lot.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always like the deja vu crap. Pass an interesting load on a tractor trailer...then someone needs the pee break. Fifteen minutes later you pass the same drat thing again.

Only issue with the average speed paradox is driving slower increases the break times due to more road time. Solution is to drive a million miles an hour or an RV that has a bathroom onboard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I have an aluminum oxide hub.”

“Don’t you mean ‘alloy’?”

“Did I loving stutter?”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 3, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did someone dump mercury on that or something.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

tater_salad posted:

I very much hate my wife's VW's cruise buttons. Maybe kuz I'm old and think that a stalk is just fuckin fine it's been good for ages.. there's also zero "feel" on those buttons so you don't know where the resume plus minus and cancel are.. you have to look if you don't use it often.

when I first got my e-golf just like op I was adjusting cc instead of volume at first accidentally but now its fine? hard to mess it up once you get used to which buttons are which

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

wolrah posted:

I'm not conceptually against a stalk for cruise but I've only ever encountered it on Toyotas where some moron decided it was a good idea to have the stalk stick out of the bottom side of the wheel where it can intrude in to the knee space when turning. gently caress those stalks in particular.

My old 5-series BMW (and I do mean old, 1986) had a stalk cruise control and I still think it's my favorite. Very easy to use - forward enabled CC, up/down did speed up/down, and pulling back turned it off, iirc. The Toyota stalks always made me think they were aping BMW.

quote:

Speaking of Toyota, my wife has a '21 Corolla hatch and that thing has the worst loving ACC I've ever had the displeasure of using. Turns out, despite being able to fully stop and restart the vehicle, it's really only meant to be used at highway speeds. You have to get their higher-priced offerings like the RAV4 or Camry to get their (much better!) "true" all-speed ACC. The Corolla's ACC also is terrible at keeping speed if the road isn't perfectly arrow straight and flat, I've caught it 5mph low with no one else around just because the road had the audacity to sweep to the left.

So yeah, agreed.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I think Toyota has used that same cruise control stalk for 20+ years now.
My work has/had a few first generation Tundras that had it, my 09 Corolla has it and my '21 Tacoma has it.
Its functional and I guess reliable. Push the button on the end to turn it on. Up to set (or down, I forget) pull to cancel then up to increase speed, down to decrease.

Maybe my legs aren't long enough, but none have ever impeded my knee room.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wesleywillis posted:

I think Toyota has used that same cruise control stalk for 20+ years now.

It’s been at least thirty-five years.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I really like the toyota stalk, it's predictable and tactile and you don't need to take your eyes off the road to do anything.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

ili posted:

I really like the toyota stalk, it's predictable and tactile and you don't need to take your eyes off the road to do anything.

i like the stalks in my focus, one is nothing but turn signals, the other is nothing but wipers. cruise control is on the left of the wheel and radio controls are on the right

i'll give it to ford for very few mechanical things but the interior of my car has been flawless

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

wolrah posted:

My '93 Crown Vic had this. I'm pretty sure my friend's '86 LeBaron did. Was it really not legally required until the 2000s!?!?!

The US’s safety laws are not exactly timely and I do remember GM products from the early 90’s touting this feature as well, usually having instructions in the gauge cluster to press the brake before shifting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My 1988 Jeep has an open recall for the dealer to put that "hey buddy, put your foot on the brake before shifting, thanks" sticker on the instrument cluster. There is no actual interlock on it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kastein posted:

My 1988 Jeep has an open recall for the dealer to put that "hey buddy, put your foot on the brake before shifting, thanks" sticker on the instrument cluster. There is no actual interlock on it.

My 2023 Avenger BEV has an open recall for missing omologation stickers on the drivetrain battery, so the tradition still holds strong.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I don't care for the button interface for shifting and would prefer a detented selector with a haptic-friendly interface.

I hate it because I know them buttons will look like this in a few years:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So do you have to remember a sequence of different lights to finally start the car?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

START!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SlowBloke posted:

My 2023 Avenger BEV has an open recall for missing omologation stickers on the drivetrain battery, so the tradition still holds strong.

My Leaf got recalled for the defroster glitching out and not doing anything if it's really really cold and you set it to max, the solution? Jam this loose "supplemental" page into your owners manual telling you not to do that.