Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Scarodactyl posted:

Ok ok idea: we combine forces and dump all our lead and mercury and other heavy metal waste there too. That's a permanent marker and will visibly blight the land so they know it's poisonous.

Put a fence around with signs saying, "if you cross this fence you will die." Yeah Mr Pournelle, that will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A mile deep hole full of dung or decomposed bodies would also probably draw the interest of local farmers

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zopotantor posted:

Put a fence around with signs saying, "if you cross this fence you will die." Yeah Mr Pournelle, that will work.

Didn't the ancients put that sort of sign around important tombs? And yet "egyptologists" and whatnot can't wait to break in.

Even people who believe in curses are like "Wow this place has a powerful curse. It must be protecting a valuable treasure!"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Freaquency posted:

Yep, no one has ever found a massive site full of human remains and thought “nah this isn’t worth exploring”.

Now I’m just going to take a big swig of coffee as I search Wikipedia for Parisian Catacombs and…

The mistake with the Parisian Catacombs is that they stopped filling it with corpses. If everyone just tossed their corpses in The Corpse Hole forever, it'd just be The Corpse Hole, the hole where corpses go, and it wouldn't be cool or fun or good or interesting. Never cover it over, never fill it in, just corpses for the corpse hole. Similar to how nobody's ever dug up Manhattan Island and been like "wait there's a bunch of trash here!" and decided to explore the trash.

Corpse Hole Forever.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Didn't the ancients put that sort of sign around important tombs? And yet "egyptologists" and whatnot can't wait to break in.

Even people who believe in curses are like "Wow this place has a powerful curse. It must be protecting a valuable treasure!"

That one ancient Chinese emperor supposedly was buried with a moat of liquid mercury. Not as an intentional deterrent, but it's one of the things that gives modern archaeology a pause for thought before breaking out the shovels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

I still wouldn't make my casual-wear raiding armor out of it

I would.

Pyrophoric armor would be badass.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

A mile deep hole full of dung or decomposed bodies would also probably draw the interest of local farmers

So would the bones. In WW1, the bones of dead soldiers and horses were ground up and used as fertilizer.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So would the bones. In WW1, the bones of dead soldiers and horses were ground up and used as fertilizer.

On that note, let's not forget the confusion on a medicine known as mummia. Literal boner pills.

quote:

It originated from Arabic mūmiyā "a type of resinous bitumen found in Western Asia and used curatively" in traditional Islamic medicine, which was translated as pissasphaltus (from "pitch" and "asphalt") in ancient Greek medicine. In medieval European medicine, mūmiyā "bitumen" was transliterated into Latin as mumia meaning both "a bituminous medicine from Persia" and "mummy". Merchants in apothecaries dispensed expensive mummia bitumen, which was thought to be an effective cure-all for many ailments. It was also used as an aphrodisiac.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummia

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

The mistake with the Parisian Catacombs is that they stopped filling it with corpses. If everyone just tossed their corpses in The Corpse Hole forever, it'd just be The Corpse Hole, the hole where corpses go, and it wouldn't be cool or fun or good or interesting. Never cover it over, never fill it in, just corpses for the corpse hole. Similar to how nobody's ever dug up Manhattan Island and been like "wait there's a bunch of trash here!" and decided to explore the trash.

Corpse Hole Forever.

Again that's literally what archaeologists do, an ancient trash heap is a gold mine for them of everyday things.

I say the trick is to put up big signs explaining in minute detail exactly what's there, lots of big words and diagrams and definitions. Everyone will get bored and leave immediately.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Again that's literally what archaeologists do, an ancient trash heap is a gold mine for them of everyday things.

I say the trick is to put up big signs explaining in minute detail exactly what's there, lots of big words and diagrams and definitions. Everyone will get bored and leave immediately.

Went on a date with an archaeologist who had spent the past year and a half excavating an oyster shell midden at a Native American settlement and she said the same thing about them being a goldmine of everyday objects. I asked what sort of everyday objects

"Oysters."

She held a blank face for a good five seconds or so before busting out laughing and then getting really intense about a pottery fragment that they found last week.

Asking an Archaeologist to not dig up something old is like asking a like asking a terrier to not chase the small squeaky thing. They just gotta do it and that's all there is to it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think his point is that archaeologists seem to be discouraged by sites that are still in active use - though I bet there are counterexamples.
(See also the apparently rude question "so where exactly do we draw the line between archaeology and grave robbing")

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Computer viking posted:

The "just bury it deep" idea works just fine if you do it somewhere uninteresting enough. Finland did finally manage to build one, and they drilled it into a thick sheet of granite. There's not really any minerals of interest down there, and it's far too dense to have aquifers. The geology has been stable for something like 1700 million years, too.

Honestly it works in a lot of places and you don't need finlands overkill geology for it. It's really a solved issue except in the minds of critics and politics. If you bury it somewhere deep enough no future cavemen will ever stumble on it and it will never bother anyone. You wouldn't be able to find it or know it was there without technology advanced enough to understand something about radition.

I think future farmers and poo poo will probably suffer more from those toxic places left over from WW1 that will never get better until geology buries it as deep as we do nuclear waste, and other chemicals and poisons we just left lying around without any long term plans for them.

Kyle Hill does a lot of videos on nuclear power and nuclear waste, he's a bit silly, but supplies correct information
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhHHbgIy9jU

e: Here is also the link discussing the testing done on nuclear waste storage in Finland which might be illuminating
https://thoughtscapism.com/2017/11/04/nuclear-waste-ideas-vs-reality/

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 4, 2024

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Nenonen posted:

On that note, let's not forget the confusion on a medicine known as mummia. Literal boner pills.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummia

piss rear end fault us

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Platystemon posted:

I would.

Pyrophoric armor would be badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3odMTPuzLwY&t=70s

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
To be fair, it would be better if people snorted ground up humans instead of pangolins and other endangered species to get their dicks up

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
There's been talk of deep borehole disposal for nuclear waste here in Ontario for years now. Same thing, way down in the bedrock where it's stable was gently caress and has been for millions of years. Also recoverable if need be. Hopefully future archaeologists will have radiation detection gear but if everything goes to poo poo, all technology dies and then 10,000 years from now future archaeologists are trying to dig up old poo poo, if they don't have anything to detect radiation, they probably won't have the tech to dig or drill thousands of feet deep through, and in to bedrock that may have never ever ever been even exposed to direct sunlight.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Alien archeologists are a lot more likely to be digging around in our effluvia than human ones from a future civilization. If they can survive radiation in the interstellar void they’ll have something which lets them gently caress around in our superdeep boreholes safely enough.

Bet they’d like it if we erected some of the weirder scare architecture, give them something to speculate about while they’re digging

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As noted earlier, if it's 10k years in the future, then the worst of the danger is already past. The more radioactive something is, the shorter its half-life is, because emitting radiation is a side-effect of decay into a more stable isotope. All of these think pieces are more concerned with "WW3 happened and we nuked each other back into the bronze age; it's now 200 years in the future, and we want to make sure that we don't make our descendants too irradiated to throw rocks at their descendants."

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ft Drum housing

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

`Nemesis posted:

Ft Drum housing

That flex pipe u-bend is 100% full of lint like some sort of metallic pillow.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

Ft Drum housing

I got a feeling that would look more normal if the dryer were situated along the right wall.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Clearly it's to allow the structure to retain more 'waste' heat during the winter.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

LonsomeSon posted:

Alien archeologists are a lot more likely to be digging around in our effluvia than human ones from a future civilization. If they can survive radiation in the interstellar void they’ll have something which lets them gently caress around in our superdeep boreholes safely enough.

Bet they’d like it if we erected some of the weirder scare architecture, give them something to speculate about while they’re digging

That's going to be like opening Al Capone's vault when they finally dig through a mile of concrete under a granite spike field and it's just some nuclear waste.

"What the gently caress? Just post a sign! Did humans split the atom before developing a written language?!"

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
The big problem that the people who speculate about warning future post apocalyptic people away from nuclear waste haven't contended with is that humans are, on the whole, a species as curious as they are impulsive. No matter what kind of structure you build, it will always draw people who will want to go pillage the forbidden trash heap.

Honestly, they should focus less on trying to scare people away, which is impossible, and more on making it incredibly difficult to remove things from the dump. At least that way the now-dying idiot will not be able to carry the spicy rock back to their friends and kill them too. Steep smooth walls to a deep hole should do the trick best, perhaps with submerging the entrance.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
From a random Facebook feed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

At that point, why didn't you ultra-notch the joist instead of drilling a hole array or whatever? I mean, if you're going to do something stupid, do it the right way.

Also, I figure we're going to spend decades hand wringing over what to do about deep nuclear repositories and planning for how to keep future cavemen in the wastes from eating spicy metal or whatever, only for it being feedstock for some exotic powerplant in 2150.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sash! posted:

At that point, why didn't you ultra-notch the joist instead of drilling a hole array or whatever? I mean, if you're going to do something stupid, do it the right way.

You can't do that. That extra half inch of wood is load-bearing.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

Sash! posted:

...only for it being feedstock for some exotic powerplant in 2150.

That's what I figure, too.

Scientists in 2149: "We just found a 100% efficient way to generate power using nuclear waste! We're going to need that stockpile back before you guys bury it!"

Contractor who just scooped his last heap onto the pile: :staredog:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mahnarch posted:

That's what I figure, too.

Scientists in 2149: "We just found a 100% efficient way to generate power using nuclear waste! We're going to need that stockpile back before you guys bury it!"

Contractor who just scooped his last heap onto the pile: :staredog:

The scientists already know how to generate power using nuclear waste, we're just intentionally not doing it

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Computer viking posted:

Handwringing about nuclear waste and how it is dangerous for tens of thousands of years has been a convenient excuse to bog down waste processing and thus indirectly building of new power plants, at least. As far as I understand it, you can have "kills you if you get close" and "half life of millennia" but not both - so digging a deep hole somewhere decently stable and backfilling it afterwards is extremely unlikely to be a problem.

Not to mention that rebreeders can be used to turn 'kills you if you get close' into 'glass that will still be a little warm in a few thousand years' while getting power as a result, but the US won't do it because of weapons proliferation treaties.

Bad Munki posted:

Grave robbers

Bet we'd have less robbed pyramids if they were floored with fuel rods.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 5, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

Also, I figure we're going to spend decades hand wringing over what to do about deep nuclear repositories and planning for how to keep future cavemen in the wastes from eating spicy metal or whatever, only for it being feedstock for some exotic powerplant in 2150.

Conveniently a lot of what we do now is just retain the casks and barrels on-site at the place that generated them in "temporary" storage, some of which has been in place for literal decades. We do this because conflicting regulations prevent legal removal to long-term storage, and most long-term storage facilities have ended up NIMBY regulated to the point that they cannot legally receive the material they were literally designed to receive and store, at least in the cases where they weren't NIMBY regulated into not being able to actually construct the storage or continue to exist in any capacity.

As for becoming future-reactor feedstock, that's unlikely for most of it. The vast, vast majority of nuclear waste is just protective equipment or infrastructure that was once in a room with something radioactive. In many places it doesn't even need to have an observable radiological output to qualify for being jammed in a drum and entombed in concrete.

Try not to think about it too much, God knows that's what the legislators do.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As noted earlier, if it's 10k years in the future, then the worst of the danger is already past. The more radioactive something is, the shorter its half-life is, because emitting radiation is a side-effect of decay into a more stable isotope.

Right, but fission produces a number of long-lived products that are in the sweet spot for long-term toxicity: they're both radioactive enough to be a concern and have a long-enough half-life than they'll still be lethal in a 10,000 years. In addition to alpha emitters like plutonium and curium with half-lives of 5-25k years, the big long-lived products of major concern are technetium-99 (200,000 years) and iodine-129 (16 million years, chiefly a concern for the same reason I-131 is: biological processes concentrate it in the thyroid). We're not talking about intense gamma fields that you'll stumble into and then out of dead, but in some ways subtle is bad because you won't notice what's killing you.

Jows
May 8, 2002

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Conveniently a lot of what we do now is just retain the casks and barrels on-site at the place that generated them in "temporary" storage, some of which has been in place for literal decades. We do this because conflicting regulations prevent legal removal to long-term storage, and most long-term storage facilities have ended up NIMBY regulated to the point that they cannot legally receive the material they were literally designed to receive and store, at least in the cases where they weren't NIMBY regulated into not being able to actually construct the storage or continue to exist in any capacity.

As for becoming future-reactor feedstock, that's unlikely for most of it. The vast, vast majority of nuclear waste is just protective equipment or infrastructure that was once in a room with something radioactive. In many places it doesn't even need to have an observable radiological output to qualify for being jammed in a drum and entombed in concrete.

Try not to think about it too much, God knows that's what the legislators do.

The big casks that are kept onsite at plants are spent fuel. Low-level waste like you're talking about is shipped outside to waste processors.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pickled Tink posted:

The big problem that the people who speculate about warning future post apocalyptic people away from nuclear waste haven't contended with is that humans are, on the whole, a species as curious as they are impulsive. No matter what kind of structure you build, it will always draw people who will want to go pillage the forbidden trash heap.

Honestly, they should focus less on trying to scare people away, which is impossible, and more on making it incredibly difficult to remove things from the dump. At least that way the now-dying idiot will not be able to carry the spicy rock back to their friends and kill them too. Steep smooth walls to a deep hole should do the trick best, perhaps with submerging the entrance.

The thing is there shouldn't be a structure. It's supposed to be a patch of ground that was filled in ages ago and left to nature.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

combo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/03PRjtw.mp4

This cat is broken. It’s not glowing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

It's the department of water and power, not the department of water OR power.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

e: Here is also the link discussing the testing done on nuclear waste storage in Finland which might be illuminating

The dungeon is rather impressive from the inside. I'm glad I spent ½ a year living inside a rock in 1998 so I didn't feel as oppressed as some people in our group.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/03PRjtw.mp4

This cat is broken. It’s not glowing.

I like how the cat seems concerned about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Will the cat be okay? :ohdear: