Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
And here we see another example of Why Fighting In Cities Sucks. The opponent, if they're crazy enough, always has the option to just Kool-Aid Man their way through terrain and pop out at unexpected angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Rorahusky posted:

And here we see another example of Why Fighting In Cities Sucks. The opponent, if they're crazy enough, always has the option to just Kool-Aid Man their way through terrain and pop out at unexpected angles.

The Hunchback might have to do the same thing if it wants to survive this turn. Question, can you shove your way through multiple building squares or just one? If it's the former the Huncback might be able to make an escape if it just charges through the building. If it's the latter? I think it can avoid the Hetzer at least by jamming itself into 0808, but there's nothing it can do about the rest of the enemy other than shoot

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean, none of the enemies went entirely through buildings for a surprise this turn, and kool-aid manning is going to let the hunchback escape the trap is in now!

Meanwhile the hetzer only has a single goblin for cover.

^^^You can go through as many building hexes as you have mp to do so, it just costs extra depending on if it's a medium, heavy, hardened etc building.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Does the Goblin have los to 0710?

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I have a few questions.

1) can vehicles face for free?

2) there is no way the WVR is hitting on 8 with the AC. 4 skill, 3 jump, 2 Move from the VTR, plus at least 1 for being inside minimum range?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Yep, exactly what I posted would happen. HBK to 0809 of possible and only if you can turn so your rear arc isn't exposed. I can't recall the MP needed, I think it's 3MP to enter, so you'll have to be running and have enough MP to face SW. Blast that Commando with everything you got. It's 10 SRMs and a LL are a far bigger threat than the Sentinel.

VTR and I should just walk forward 4 and the VTR can get the good side arc on the Hetz. VTR to 0712 and myself to 0811, I would be on the line between rear and side so at the mercy of MM to call the arc. WVE can jump to 0612 and help secure the kill on the Hetz in case the AC/20 wiffs.

They're in a murderer ball and we're not mobile enough to escape. We need to focus on removing units off the board will as much overkill as possible. The more turns they have to fire, the worse for us.

Edit - How did I only need 6 to hit on the WVR last turn?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

Does the Goblin have los to 0710?

Yes it does.

Otter Madness posted:

I have a few questions.

1) can vehicles face for free?

2) there is no way the WVR is hitting on 8 with the AC. 4 skill, 3 jump, 2 Move from the VTR, plus at least 1 for being inside minimum range?

1) No, they pay for facing just like mechs. However, they can rotate their turrets 360 degrees for free when firing.

2) The AC/10 doesn't have a minimum range (it's a copy paste error, I'll fix it shortly), and Jean-Paul has the Hopping Jack skill that reduces his jump firing penalty by 1.

Amechwarrior posted:

Edit - How did I only need 6 to hit on the WVR last turn?

Sorry, that was another copy / paste error. I was visiting my parents and had to entertain lots of young nieces and nephews, so it slipped through.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gwaihir posted:

Keep in mind entering a medium building hex costs +2 MP, or +3 for a heavy,

Does this mean that actually entering the medium building hex costs 3MP (1 move +2 penalty) or just 2 overall? If it's 3 total I can only get to 0808, which means it might be better for me (HBK) to go stand on the Hetz

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Yes it does.

1) No, they pay for facing just like mechs. However, they can rotate their turrets 360 degrees for free when firing.

2) The AC/10 doesn't have a minimum range (it's a copy paste error, I'll fix it shortly), and Jean-Paul has the Hopping Jack skill that reduces his jump firing penalty by 1.

Apologies for being annoying.

1) so shouldn't the hetzer be only able to make it to 0810? 6 hexes at flank, 1 for facing 1212, and 5 takes it 0810.

2) So is minimum cumulative, like being at range 1 for a 3 min range weapon +2 to hit, or is it just a flat +1?

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

Otter Madness posted:

2) So is minimum cumulative, like being at range 1 for a 3 min range weapon +2 to hit, or is it just a flat +1?

Yes, it's cumulative - and it starts at the minimum range, not inside it. So if your min range is 3 and you're at range one it would actually be +3 (+1 at 3, +2 at 2, +3 at 1)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Otter Madness posted:

Apologies for being annoying.

1) so shouldn't the hetzer be only able to make it to 0810? 6 hexes at flank, 1 for facing 1212, and 5 takes it 0810.

You're not being annoying. I do make mistakes and am very glad when people point them out.

1) Wheeled and tracked vehicles can travel +1 extra hex on pavement and roads, so the Hetzer has 7 MP total while transiting through those hexes.

2) Yes, minimum range inflicts stacking penalties depending on how close an enemy is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm enjoying the much more coordinated actions of the lance this time around

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah the opfor is kicking our asses

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I know enemy mech's prevent movement but couldn't the HBK just walk over the hetzer and out of the "trap".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

everydayfalls posted:

I know enemy mech's prevent movement but couldn't the HBK just walk over the hetzer and out of the "trap".

I can walk onto it but not through it, so... sort of?

I escape the danger of the ac/20 but have no move mod and am exposed to fire from almost everything else, so it's not a super good solution. We saw the trap and stepped into it anyway, and now we have to fight our way out.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why can't you walk through it? Vehicles, enemy or otherwise, have never impeded movement in megamek for me. With 5 movement shouldn't you be able to make 0710 (I think, I can barely read the hex numbers) facing south?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If scintilla lets you use reckless/hurried movement you can blow through the entire building and escape in the hunchback. The downside is you will be virtually guaranteed to take damage from failing psr rolls. But it's less damage that eating fire from everyone.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Azhais posted:

Why can't you walk through it? Vehicles, enemy or otherwise, have never impeded movement in megamek for me. With 5 movement shouldn't you be able to make 0710 (I think, I can barely read the hex numbers) facing south?

That's peculiar - I've checked the MegaMek settings and there aren't any rules that allow this. Here's what happens when you try to move through an enemy vehicle:

MegaMek literally won't let it happen - the greyed out MP numbers indicate the move is invalid.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
All enemy units end movement if you move into their hexes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scintilla posted:

That's peculiar - I've checked the MegaMek settings and there aren't any rules that allow this. Here's what happens when you try to move through an enemy vehicle:

MegaMek literally won't let it happen - the greyed out MP numbers indicate the move is invalid.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. That's weird given how many vehicles the AtB presets give you. Must have never not had jumping units? Sorry for the noise

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Azhais posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the case. That's weird given how many vehicles the AtB presets give you. Must have never not had jumping units? Sorry for the noise

No worries. You can definitely jump over enemy units, but walking or running isn't possible.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So, does it end movement immediately or can you still rotate with remaining MP?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

So, does it end movement immediately or can you still rotate with remaining MP?

The latter - you can change your facing if you have MP remaining.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
All I can suggest is for the Hunchback to run to 0809, turn south to protect its backside, and then light up your target of choice. That will protect you from the Hetzer and Wolverine at least. This whole setup is going to be pretty brutal for both sides, we've got to take our lumps and hit back as hard as we can. Luckily the good old Hunchie is perfect for that. I guess you could also just stand on top of the Hetzer and unleash laser filled death at whoever you wanted

For the others? I don't have a lot to suggest but here's one thing to keep in mind. The buildings are slightly hampering the Goblin's firing line. It won't be able to target 0712 or 0912 due to the building in hex 1012. Not sure about 0811, might need a double check from Scintilla.

Also, this is a simulation, and our ultimate win condition is taking out a total of 4 mechs, and the enemy commander. Don't be afraid to take some lumps.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think the weapon stats for the WVR's AC/10 are wrong, I think it's supposed to be 10 damage and 3 heat, like the HBK's AC/10.

Also, I think other than the Hetz, the WVR has the biggest gun around, and we could try fleeing north, where there aren't many enemies around and we could at least have 3 of us jumping behind it and firing, though one of us is going to eat some Vedette shots in that case. Also i think the HBK will still be in the LoS of the Hetz if it flees straight N...

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

I think the weapon stats for the WVR's AC/10 are wrong, I think it's supposed to be 10 damage and 3 heat, like the HBK's AC/10.

That was a copy / paste error from when it was a 6R. It's fixed now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Should've killed the hetzer when you had the chance :colbert:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scintilla posted:

That was a copy / paste error from when it was a 6R. It's fixed now.

no worries!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

Also, I think other than the Hetz, the WVR has the biggest gun around, and we could try fleeing north, where there aren't many enemies around and we could at least have 3 of us jumping behind it and firing, though one of us is going to eat some Vedette shots in that case. Also i think the HBK will still be in the LoS of the Hetz if it flees straight N...

The WVR is the biggest thing around, but not the most threatening. If the WVE, VTR and myself manage to take out the Hetz, the next target is the Commando. The LL is basically the same damage class as the AC/10 and it piles 10 SRMs on top. It also has its damage spread across multiple rolls. The AC/10 is one dice rolling hit or miss. The Commando has multiple weapons we don't want to get hit by, and it doesn't have the armor or mobility to stay on the field. The HBK alone could alpha strike it and have a good chance of cutting a side torso off or better.

The movements I posed earlier more or less still apply if the HBK wants to go into the building or on top of the Hetz. But you could be safe with just 3MP walking to 0710 and face SW. The HBK should hit the Commando hard, take it off the field then we can deal with the next thing. I think it would need 7 to hit, but the bugger has narrow profile. The three of us need to focus on that Hetz though. One or two bad rolls will make it so we don't finish it in a turn.

Slavvy posted:

Space Kablooey posted:

dont want to say i told you so but i told you so!
Agreed

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 4, 2024

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

dont want to say i told you so but i told you so!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HBK: currently leaning towards standing on the hetz and blasting the commando

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wouldn't the hetz just be able to back up a hex and blast you point blank straight afterwards?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

HBK: currently leaning towards standing on the hetz and blasting the commando

I was going to remind you that you'd be in more danger, but actually, I think you'd be just as safe there as in 0809. Same evasion, walking instead of running, Wolverine can't hit you.

Honestly? I say go for it. There's not much more evasion you can get, and it will put you in ideal position to crush the Commando and kick the Hetz. There's not much you can do to be any safer. Guns off the field as they say

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

glwgameplayer posted:

I was going to remind you that you'd be in more danger, but actually, I think you'd be just as safe there as in 0809. Same evasion, walking instead of running, Wolverine can't hit you.

Honestly? I say go for it. There's not much more evasion you can get, and it will put you in ideal position to crush the Commando and kick the Hetz. There's not much you can do to be any safer. Guns off the field as they say

do i stomp the hetz while i'm there or do I attempt to punch the commando, that's the question

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

do i stomp the hetz while i'm there or do I attempt to punch the commando, that's the question

You might want to punch just for the sake of keeping the heat down while still dealing damage. But having one more shot at killing the hetz is also a good idea.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Maybe stomp the Hetz, and if it is already dead punch the Commando?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any extra chance to immobilize the hetzer seems like a good idea. With no turret all it can do is stare at that hole in the building for the rest of the match

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I vote for kicking the Hetz, if it's still alive. Then punching the Commando if the Hetz is already destroyed. So you'll have to not fire one of the arm mounted MLs.

Any objections to me submitting walk to 0811 and firing on the Hetz? I want to submit by tonight in case I get too busy tomorrow morning.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

Amechwarrior posted:

The WVR is the biggest thing around, but not the most threatening. If the WVE, VTR and myself manage to take out the Hetz, the next target is the Commando. The LL is basically the same damage class as the AC/10 and it piles 10 SRMs on top. It also has its damage spread across multiple rolls. The AC/10 is one dice rolling hit or miss. The Commando has multiple weapons we don't want to get hit by, and it doesn't have the armor or mobility to stay on the field. The HBK alone could alpha strike it and have a good chance of cutting a side torso off or better.

For the record, the Commando "only" has a medium laser, not a large laser. The Commandoes that carry large lasers have fewer missiles and also often less armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Judicator65 posted:

For the record, the Commando "only" has a medium laser, not a large laser. The Commandoes that carry large lasers have fewer missiles and also often less armor.

Ah crap, my bad. I guess I was mixing together variants. Either way, the HBK can't one-turn kill the WVR, but it can to the COM. 2 ML anywhere will go critical vs 3 or 4 MLs for the same effect on the WVR. The HBK could also try to side arc mobility kill the Vedette, but I think the COM is the better choice.