Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

edogawa rando posted:

I wonder how many others in Vince's orbit have just had their personal doomsday clocks tick closer to midnight.

Using nuclear warfare on these people might be seen as disproportionate, but is probably fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Porrima posted:

Using nuclear warfare on these people might be seen as disproportionate, but is probably fine

If, along with Vince McMahon, people like Dunn, Johnny Ace and anyone else that was an active participant in the exploitation and victimisation of god knows how many women, or took part in the cover-up are banished from the industry and live the rest of their lives in obscurity and irrelevance, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

edogawa rando posted:

If, along with Vince McMahon, people like Dunn, Johnny Ace and anyone else that was an active participant in the exploitation and victimisation of god knows how many women, or took part in the cover-up are banished from the industry and live the rest of their lives in obscurity and irrelevance, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

I may lose sleep if the strikes make too much noise or light, otherwise not

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Dango Bango posted:

Was it Vince that wanted to give him a rat gimmick? Or was that someone else?

That wasn't Viktor, Konor was the one who had the rat gimmick, and that was when he was on original NXT as Connor O'Brian. They had segments where he looked for cheese and everything. It was hosed. And almost certainly a Vince thing considering the Christian Blue Dot/"RATTY" story.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Vince wild thinking that Christian was ugly, when Vince went out in public looking like a melted Timothy Dalton

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/MichaelHamflett/status/1754133830921781294

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MassRafTer posted:

I think most people here know Dutch Mantell is a piece of poo poo of the highest order but he keeps proving it with how thirsty he is to farm this story for clicks. I don't know if he's completely broke or just a piece of poo poo of the highest order, but framing this like a supermarket tabloid is the loving worst.

https://twitter.com/DirtyDMantell/status/1753254112559255867

Never trust a man with a fancy mustache, especially dutch's

Shadowisper
Dec 19, 2001

...I will eat your soul...
Fun Shoe
Wonder what the probability of the feds dropping a RICO bomb on the WWE is since multiple people knew about it and probably helped cover it up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dutch is basically just doing a slightly more anti-WWE version of Cornette's shtick. He knows exactly what he's doing, and whether he's sincere is completely irrelevant, just like Cornette.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

was this Torrie Wilson interview posted here? https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/t...ting-back-tears

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

That wasn't Viktor, Konor was the one who had the rat gimmick, and that was when he was on original NXT as Connor O'Brian. They had segments where he looked for cheese and everything. It was hosed. And almost certainly a Vince thing considering the Christian Blue Dot/"RATTY" story.

Also wanting PAC to be Mighty Mouse

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Like much in this thread, how unsurprising this is doesn't make it less sad.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Was anyone into those bikini contest and gravy matches besides Vince and his buddies back in the day? Even as a horny teen I never found it titillating just made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

bartok posted:

Was anyone into those bikini contest and gravy matches besides Vince and his buddies back in the day? Even as a horny teen I never found it titillating just made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

Vince has only ever booked to please an audience of one: himself.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

bartok posted:

they were so bad that many people are still embarassed to this day to tell anyone they're a wrestling fan

the stink of vince's juvenile gross poo poo he'd put on screen that nobody but he and his cronies wanted to see will likely never go away

even now after he's supposedly gone for the fourth or fifth time all that's interesting to talk about to most is the awful monster he was and still is and not what wwe as a company is doing currently

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dutch knows a lot about trafficking, just ask him for some raunchy Puerto Rico stories

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
In Dutch's defense, I doubt he made that thumbnail himself. It's likely the host and podcast company he's a part of. It even has the trendy red arrows, hard to believe he would have studied the youtube trends. The podcast on Vince didn't seem bad.

I like this thumbnail with the red arrow and the poo poo emote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcUZswD6_ds

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

bartok posted:

They always died with the live crowd even during peak Attitude era crowds that would usually lap up T&A and sex appeal. Just awful segments that very much were designed to humiliate people

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

some bust on that guy posted:

In Dutch's defense, I doubt he made that thumbnail himself. It's likely the host and podcast company he's a part of. It even has the trendy red arrows, hard to believe he would have studied the youtube trends. The podcast on Vince didn't seem bad.

well I believe the other thing because Dutch doesn't deserve the consideration

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Truly wild seeing these wrestling fossils who are like basically one rung down the "Being horrible to women" ladder from Vince suddenly being like "Oh yeah that guys a fuckin' creep"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Drakkel posted:

Truly wild seeing these wrestling fossils who are like basically one rung down the "Being horrible to women" ladder from Vince suddenly being like "Oh yeah that guys a fuckin' creep"

carnies for clicks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

You could also just not defend Dutch.

https://twitter.com/AMHE613/status/1754221797631775131

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Drakkel posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that a lot of them absolutely hate Vince for expanding the WWF in the 1980s and hastening the demise of the territories; and so are being gleeful over his downfall, regardless of whether they ever worked for him or not.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Porrima posted:

That domino meme but it starts with "person trying to help neighbor find a job" and ending with "WW3".

No self-respecting lawyer is going to come out in public and say "Yes we want to settle as hard as humanly possible. I will literally piss myself if put in front of a jury." You put on the most aggressive public face possible and then discuss terms behind the scenes.

Laurianitis and WWE settlements are 99.9% guaranteed. Vince is the wild card because Vince is always the wild card and as the main figure of this lawsuit it depends what Grant's acceptable endgame is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

That domino meme but it starts with "person trying to help neighbor find a job" and ending with "WW3".

No self-respecting lawyer is going to come out in public and say "Yes we want to settle as hard as humanly possible. I will literally piss myself if put in front of a jury." You put on the most aggressive public face possible and then discuss terms behind the scenes.

Laurianitis and WWE settlements are 99.9% guaranteed. Vince is the wild card because Vince is always the wild card and as the main figure of this lawsuit it depends what Grant's acceptable endgame is.

I don't think settlements are guaranteed. Janel Grant got a million dollars from the NDA, she isn't going to be desperate for money. The gap between settlement offers and what a jury might give her is absolutely giant, along with the opportunity to expose the company to the best of her ability.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

bartok posted:

They exist. I've never encountered many in the wild personally, but it comes up a bit when we're recording Between The Sheets that Kris knows wrestling fans at work who miss that stuff and hate the more serious women's division.

Personally, my only real world interaction with a fan like that was at a Jersey All=Pro Wrestling show in 2003. April Hunter appeared twice on the show, both working as a valet and wrestling a singles match against Nikki Roxx. During both matches, there was one guy incessantly, loudly chanting "SHOW YOUR TITS!" at April Hunter. During intermission, which was in between her appearances, he announced to nobody in particular in the men's restroom that everyone should join in with him when she came back out. HIs rationale was that since she had posed for Playboy in the past, if enough people chanted it, she would oblige. Singularly one of the moments I've felt most embarrassed to be a fan while at a show, Thankfully, though, nobody humored him in the slightest.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

They exist. I've never encountered many in the wild personally, but it comes up a bit when we're recording Between The Sheets that Kris knows wrestling fans at work who miss that stuff and hate the more serious women's division.

Personally, my only real world interaction with a fan like that was at a Jersey All=Pro Wrestling show in 2003. April Hunter appeared twice on the show, both working as a valet and wrestling a singles match against Nikki Roxx. During both matches, there was one guy incessantly, loudly chanting "SHOW YOUR TITS!" at April Hunter. During intermission, which was in between her appearances, he announced to nobody in particular in the men's restroom that everyone should join in with him when she came back out. HIs rationale was that since she had posed for Playboy in the past, if enough people chanted it, she would oblige. Singularly one of the moments I've felt most embarrassed to be a fan while at a show, Thankfully, though, nobody humored him in the slightest.

You just reminded me of April Hunter's story that WWE wanted her to break up with her boyfriend before getting a developmental deal so she would be single and not in an interracial relationship.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

davidbix posted:

Personally, my only real world interaction with a fan like that was at a Jersey All=Pro Wrestling show in 2003. April Hunter appeared twice on the show, both working as a valet and wrestling a singles match against Nikki Roxx. During both matches, there was one guy incessantly, loudly chanting "SHOW YOUR TITS!" at April Hunter.

I was at a CZW show Mania weekend in Orlando where someone got kicked out for changing into a shirt with a still from the Paige sex tape printed on it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Thinking out loud, but...remember that whole thing where Jonathan Coachman imagined a nonexistent Plane Ride from Hell lawsuit where he was the star witness and then deleted the tweets/halfass apologized when I showed him how he was not talking about the famous lawsuit? Is the best assumption that it's just his memory being shot from concussions or that he confused it with another lawsuit that the media never discovered? It wasn't the first time he'd told the story, he seemed to genuinely believe it, and it had a lot of specific details that make me wonder if there really was some other lawsuit he confused it with. But...I dunno, wouldn't there have been some other sign of it somewhere?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was at a CZW show Mania weekend in Orlando where someone got kicked out for changing into a shirt with a still from the Paige sex tape printed on it.
Oh God, I think I remember you talking about that before.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't wait until the rest of us push those troglodytes out of the sport.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think settlements are guaranteed. Janel Grant got a million dollars from the NDA, she isn't going to be desperate for money. The gap between settlement offers and what a jury might give her is absolutely giant, along with the opportunity to expose the company to the best of her ability.

A jury might give her more, they might not. It's what I said earlier; you don't let fights go to the judges, you don't let lawsuits go to the juries, because you never know what someone else might see and think.

There's also a limited window in which Grant has the most leverage. She's dropped her lawsuit at the perfect time: right after the new media deals were announced and it's publicly known that the company is going to have billions coming in, as well as the lead-up to Wrestlemania which is the WWE's biggest event of the year. WWE wants their PR to be their media deals and all the money that's coming in, the biggest movie star in the world is joining their board and LOOK!, he's facing their champ in the main event of Wrestlemania, things are so great please buy TKO stock. Instead it's this lawsuit and the notable and measurable backlash to the Rock/Roman setup. WWE very much wants this lawsuit to go away so they're not answering questions about who knew what about Vince during the leadup to Wrestlemania.

As people have mentioned, there's only so much you're going to get out of Ace (I'm tired of butchering spelling Laurinitis) financially; his value is his willingness to go under oath on camera/in front of a jury and coaberate any accusations towards Vince. I'll walk back the percentage on Ace because Vince might buy Ace's silence, but that hasn't happened yet. WWE very much wants to establish that WWE =/= Vince and claim he's responsible for all of what's accused please don't go looking any deeper. After Wrestlemania the PR hit is still bad but it's not as bad as it is during the leadup. Assuming Grant has competent council, and I've seen nothing to prove the contrary, her lawyer should get in front of every mainstream camera and microphone that will have her and put the screws in as far as possible while you have WWE over a barrel.

In terms of exposing the company, that's dependent on Grant's willingness to go through with a trial and everything that entails. Her lawyer will absolutely say that they're willing to, but their actual willingness is part of the strategy between the two of them. Figure out your three numbers: what you want, what your basement number is, and what your opening offer is, and go from there.

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
I don't think so

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Look up the DeArrow browser extension it's nice

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

A jury might give her more, they might not. It's what I said earlier; you don't let fights go to the judges, you don't let lawsuits go to the juries, because you never know what someone else might see and think.

There's also a limited window in which Grant has the most leverage. She's dropped her lawsuit at the perfect time: right after the new media deals were announced and it's publicly known that the company is going to have billions coming in, as well as the lead-up to Wrestlemania which is the WWE's biggest event of the year. WWE wants their PR to be their media deals and all the money that's coming in, the biggest movie star in the world is joining their board and LOOK!, he's facing their champ in the main event of Wrestlemania, things are so great please buy TKO stock. Instead it's this lawsuit and the notable and measurable backlash to the Rock/Roman setup. WWE very much wants this lawsuit to go away so they're not answering questions about who knew what about Vince during the leadup to Wrestlemania.

As people have mentioned, there's only so much you're going to get out of Ace (I'm tired of butchering spelling Laurinitis) financially; his value is his willingness to go under oath on camera/in front of a jury and coaberate any accusations towards Vince. I'll walk back the percentage on Ace because Vince might buy Ace's silence, but that hasn't happened yet. WWE very much wants to establish that WWE =/= Vince and claim he's responsible for all of what's accused please don't go looking any deeper. After Wrestlemania the PR hit is still bad but it's not as bad as it is during the leadup. Assuming Grant has competent council, and I've seen nothing to prove the contrary, her lawyer should get in front of every mainstream camera and microphone that will have her and put the screws in as far as possible while you have WWE over a barrel.

In terms of exposing the company, that's dependent on Grant's willingness to go through with a trial and everything that entails. Her lawyer will absolutely say that they're willing to, but their actual willingness is part of the strategy between the two of them. Figure out your three numbers: what you want, what your basement number is, and what your opening offer is, and go from there.

If she was looking to maximize her leverage she wouldn't have filed when she did. She would have filed a year ago when Vince returned, right after the TKO sale reports, right before the sale went through or two months ago when reports the Raw TV deal negotiations were heating up. Those were all times the company would have every reason to settle and settle quickly. They have a lot less reason to now. The only deal they have to worry about in the near future is airing three months of Raw. They have a couple of years until the Peacock deal is up. They can feel safe with their old strategy of trying to bleed people dry. The later the revelations come the more time they've put between themselves and Vince and the easier it will be to absorb.

This doesn't mean WWE doesn't want to settle, but they have less reason to blow her away with a settlement, and given some of the judgments that have been handed down in recent years I think her number will be a lot higher than their number. This doesn't mean she won't settle, but I don't think that is her primary aim.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
There’s also the possibility here that Mcmcagon gets convicted and then pardoned if Trump wins and then everything goes back to normal.

How can we prevent that?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

There’s also the possibility here that Mcmcagon gets convicted and then pardoned if Trump wins and then everything goes back to normal.

How can we prevent that?

This is civil, not criminal. There's nothing to pardon.

MassRafTer posted:

If she was looking to maximize her leverage she wouldn't have filed when she did. She would have filed a year ago when Vince returned, right after the TKO sale reports, right before the sale went through or two months ago when reports the Raw TV deal negotiations were heating up. Those were all times the company would have every reason to settle and settle quickly. They have a lot less reason to now. The only deal they have to worry about in the near future is airing three months of Raw. They have a couple of years until the Peacock deal is up. They can feel safe with their old strategy of trying to bleed people dry. The later the revelations come the more time they've put between themselves and Vince and the easier it will be to absorb.

This doesn't mean WWE doesn't want to settle, but they have less reason to blow her away with a settlement, and given some of the judgments that have been handed down in recent years I think her number will be a lot higher than their number. This doesn't mean she won't settle, but I don't think that is her primary aim.

Do we know when Grant connected with Callis? I haven't heard or read everything that pertains to this case, but we know the NDA was signed in early 2022 and the last text from Vince to Grant was in March. Vince retired in July and then returned in early 2023 for the sale to Endeavor before the TV negotiations. Adding in due diligence on the part of Callis in taking this case, there may not have been time to have filed the lawsuit before the sale or all of the neogitations.

WWE's motivation to settle is to fully divorce themselves from Vince. Before, when WWE = Vince, they would have defended themselves one in the same. Now, you have a corporate entity that wants nothing more than to be rid of it's old owner, that they had acknowledged as a potential liability in matters like this. We also don't know how much more bad PR is going to come from this but journalists are digging and people who wouldn't have said anything in public before are starting to speak up. WWE gains nothing from continuing to tie themselves to Vince and everything to gain by throwing Vince under the bus and insisting that everything is all good now that he's gone.

I'm sure the numbers are far, far apart, but that's negotiating settlements for you. The more Callis can get in front of the mainstream news media and the more bad PR that comes out against WWE in the leadup to Wrestlemania, the more likely that final number moves towards Grant's.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 5, 2024

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’ve never heard of a sex trafficking case that doesn’t come either a superceding criminal indictment as well?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's....not what a superseding indictment is.

A superseding indictment is one that amends and replaces the original indictment. Civil court and criminal court are still two completely different things.

The feds are doing their own investigation into Vince, but that's up to them to bring in their own time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given the amount of NDA's out there it could be a case like the Cung Le lawsuit and TKO may not be able to settle just cause of the precedence it'll set. They might have to fight it for sometime despite not really being able to fight both suits at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnlbkH2oM9E

Another great video from Brandon