Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Google have ruined their shopping tab while searching now, not that it was ever particularly useful :waycool:

I search for a pair of shoes, size 14 only please! I click the links shown, size 14 sold out. Many such cases!

This was working fine 2 months ago but they cancelled my order and I have to go through it again. No one suffers more than the big footed man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018
google is getting rid of cached pages. oops the thing you're looking for isnt on the page anymore and no one bothered to save it on the internet archive? get hosed :thumbsup:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Koburn posted:

Google have ruined their shopping tab while searching now, not that it was ever particularly useful :waycool:

I search for a pair of shoes, size 14 only please! I click the links shown, size 14 sold out. Many such cases!

This was working fine 2 months ago but they cancelled my order and I have to go through it again. No one suffers more than the big footed man.

Google’s shopping tab used to be freaking awesome but I’m not sure how many people used it. It somehow got shittier and seems super sketchy these days.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Manky Tungeon posted:

google is getting rid of cached pages. oops the thing you're looking for isnt on the page anymore and no one bothered to save it on the internet archive? get hosed :thumbsup:

The real problem is it will delist sites in the search result.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Manky Tungeon posted:

drat, how will I read blocked sites at work now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ask IT to unblock.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I bought a lifetime subscription to Plex like 6 years ago for.. 35 bucks? they've never bothered me to buy anything again.

Still works great and I like the easy subtitle options

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wendigee posted:

I bought a lifetime subscription to Plex like 6 years ago for.. 35 bucks? they've never bothered me to buy anything again.

Still works great and I like the easy subtitle options
start prepping now!!
Streaming media company Plex raises $40M as it nears profitability

techcrunch.com - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 posted:

Media streamer Plex has raised new capital. The company, which began as a media organization startup, has morphed over the years to become a one-stop shop for all your media, including ad-supported streaming, which now accounts for much of its revenue growth. The new round, which has not yet been disclosed, was initially said to be larger than Plex’s $50 million growth round closed a few years ago, but we now understand it’s $40 million, a rep for Plex has confirmed. The funds will help fuel the company’s push toward profitability, expected by year-end or just after.

Plex CEO Keith Valory confirmed the round closed this month, but was unable to disclose Plex’s new valuation. While he joked that he likes to think of himself as a unicorn, Plex’s real-world valuation is unknown as the company hasn’t raised outside funds in some time, preferring instead to work with its existing set of investors.

The same holds true for Plex’s new investment, as it’s an inside round that includes existing Series C investors — lead investor Intercap and Kleiner Perkins. (Technically, it’s Plex’s Series C-3, if you’re counting.) The size of the round will later be disclosed through securities filings.

“We have the most supportive investors of any,” Valory said. “I feel like funding has never been a concern of ours,” he added.

The fundraising follows a number of changes to Plex’s core product over the years, which has transformed itself from a software platform used by consumers for organizing their home media collections to one that has multiple facets. Today, Plex users can watch free, ad-supported shows and movies, listen to music, stream live TV channels or their own media, and more, including the discovery of new things to watch. Recently, the company has been developing social features, as well, allowing Plex users to opt into a feature that tracks their viewing and shares it with friends.

This feature will be further developed over the course of the year. Plex says it aims to expand the community capabilities for both the content owners and for users through the use of public pages that will offer content owners a bigger stake in the conversations that take place around their movies and shows.

Another planned feature, announced at CES, is the forthcoming launch of Plex’s TVOD marketplace — an online storefront that will allow users to rent shows and movies from top studios.

To date, however, it’s Plex’s ad-supported streaming that’s been helping Plex grow its revenue. Though Plex was impacted by the market downturn, leading to layoffs, Plex’s ad revenue grew by nearly 45% in 2023 and the overall business grew by 30%, the company tells us. Engagement and usage have been growing as well. The company is still on track to be profitable by the end of 2024 or early next year, Valory noted.

“We’re a leader in this market. And we’re in, at least, the top five if not higher in this space, and we feel like we’re doing really, really well,” he said.

As a result of Plex’s ability to track users’ media discovery behavior and consumption across platforms and services, the company has a unique perspective from a data standpoint. That will be the focus of its future business initiatives, too.

“One of the things we’ve already started to prove in 2023 is that we can absolutely monetize some of that data…in a very privacy-friendly way. There’s no personally identifiable information being used,” Valory said. “We already proved we could make money on that this year, so, in 2024, we’re putting more wood behind that arrow. And arguably, even though our current business is already growing 30%-40% per year, that could dwarf it in two to three years. That is a really big market opportunity,” he added.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lmao gently caress

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wow, [xxx]big_giant_boobies_4(1997)[screener].wmv is trending, let those Hollywood producers know!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, you had a good run Plex. I can't wait to see how yet another block of investors try to wring money out of a good thing until it shrivels and dies because capitalism can't help itself.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Whelp, you had a good run Plex. I can't wait to see how yet another block of investors try to wring money out of a good thing until it shrivels and dies because capitalism can't help itself.

I worked for a drug manufacturing company during the purchase transition for the 4th time since the 80's that it was purchased by VC.

"Ain't nothin' good comes from this until they realize they don't know what they're doing or got into and sell it," my old-timer supe told me.

Turns out VC doesn't know anything about drugs cuz those guys sold off the corporate assets and hard production assets the fastest out of anyone.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 4, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

They're going to get rid of self-streaming functionality and become a video rental service

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

“We have good news!!” is about the worst thing you can read for something you like

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

:lmao: that anyone would use a non FOSS software solution for streaming your own media, if it's not made by hobbyist turbonerds it will enahittify, learn to love clunky interfaces and jank

People: I am going to rely on for profit commercial products in a declining economy where nearly every investment loses money, even though slightly less convenient non-commercial alternatives exist

Same people: :qq: how could the vc firm do this to me

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 4, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yes youtube I want to see livestreams in my subscriptions after all you're totally a streaming platform. At least that I could see somebody wanting who the gently caress wants ambient mode. If you don't know what that is it's what's messing up the colors of black bars in fullscreen and to disable it you need to be in full screen.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

:lmao: that anyone would use a non FOSS software solution for streaming your own media, if it's not made by hobbyist turbonerds it will enahittify, learn to love clunky interfaces and jank

People: I am going to rely on for profit commercial products in a declining economy where nearly every investment loses money, even though slightly less convenient non-commercial alternatives exist

Shut up nerd

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Woolie Wool posted:

Well actually :awesome:if you just hoard the :filez: you don't really need to care about the streaming service. Just dump it all in that NAS and go Smaug

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well actually if you just hoard the :files: you don't really need to care about the streaming service. Just dump it all in that NAS and go Smaug

yeah but plex does a real good job right now of letting me watch that poo poo on my television and my telephone and together with my friends in other countries, automatically handling all the metadata and whatnot to satisfy my organization obsessions so im gonna be genuinely disappointed when it inevitably gets shittier for the very specific reason of chasing profitability

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well actually :awesome:if you just hoard the :filez: you don't really need to care about the streaming service. Just dump it all in that NAS and go Smaug

That's really what I use Jellyfin for, it's just a fancy interface that also allows remote HTTP access through a zero trust tunnel proxy so I can stream from work.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
yeah i mean if plex gets lovely I'll just jump ship. still have all my media on a nas, as long as something can scrape all the metadata and stream over the network I dont give a poo poo what it is.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 5, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah plex works great for people who arent super tech savvy too. it's ok to enjoy things while they last

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Got a new fridge awhile back, and today my wife tells me the light is out in the freezer. Ok no problem, I go in there and start looking for the bulb so I can replace it, but for the life of me I can't find it. Finally I give up and download the manual. Turns out that some models of this fridge use bulbs and some use LEDs. We have the LED one.

Under the instructions of what to do if your light goes out, if you have a bulb then it tells you where it is and how to replace. However, if you have the LED one it tells you to.......call for service?!?! Are you loving kidding me???

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvZ-667CEdo

Every one of these promises either didn't come true or came true in a horrifying and stupid way

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

is pepsi ok posted:

Got a new fridge awhile back, and today my wife tells me the light is out in the freezer. Ok no problem, I go in there and start looking for the bulb so I can replace it, but for the life of me I can't find it. Finally I give up and download the manual. Turns out that some models of this fridge use bulbs and some use LEDs. We have the LED one.

Under the instructions of what to do if your light goes out, if you have a bulb then it tells you where it is and how to replace. However, if you have the LED one it tells you to.......call for service?!?! Are you loving kidding me???

lol i have this exact problem as well. the fridge came to me without a working light at all

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

is pepsi ok posted:

I've bought a new fridge in May 2022. Not even 18 months later the plastic shelves started breaking.
Those aren't cheap parts, either

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

is pepsi ok posted:

If you need any help with fixing it yourself, do post a thread in HCH. Either someone will chime in with a fix, or someone will help you with a useful alternative. You could for instance mount some always-on LEDs of a low power level in there, connected with some thin varnished coil wire to whatever power supply you have at hand.

Repairing out of sheer spite is encouraged. God knows i've fixed up some "unserviceable" things solely because i disagreed with it being broken and "unserviceable".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

is pepsi ok posted:

This is starting to be a problem with regular residential lighting, too. Far too many are just 100% sealed LED lights. Did the bulb go out? Typically, the only option is to replace the entire fixture. And there are a LOT of no-name brands that are here one day, gone another, so good luck even trying to capitalize on any sort of warranty claim.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Fridges are hit and miss for part replacement. The ice and water dispenser after 14 years have gotten kind of loose, and one actually broke. The hinge is actually a plastic molding that is part of the entire loving door. Why wasn't this metal to begin with, and why is it part of the door? I made my own metal hinge and used small wood screws to drive into the plastic molding. It's all hidden under a plastic cover that does come off. So far so good, but jesus christ you fuckers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got a new fridge a couple of years ago (standard freezer on top, I was extremely limited with vertical space and bought the only one there that fit) and I don't even have a light in my freezer. :(

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is starting to be a problem with regular residential lighting, too. Far too many are just 100% sealed LED lights. Did the bulb go out? Typically, the only option is to replace the entire fixture. And there are a LOT of no-name brands that are here one day, gone another, so good luck even trying to capitalize on any sort of warranty claim.

I was blown away when I found out these were a thing. One of my coworkers was building a house with sealed LED fixtures in their vaulted ceiling. They absolutely could not be convinced that would be a problem one day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
finally had to restart chrome and they got rid of the download bar flag. why do they even have developers, leave it the gently caress alone. it works, go make something else. ui designers must take a special glee in coming up with new ways to maximize wasted time through the smallest of measures. Just an extraneous click or 3 to get to a thing that used to take not even a full click and they're salivating at the thought of the trillions of extra clicks they've created through devious design.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

quote:

Make a total of 8 purchases of $50 or more with PayPal by February 5, 2024 to get your $8.00 (800 points).

gently caress you. I'm tempted to flag it as spam but I don't trust google to decide that means I want all paypal messages to be put into spam.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My phone doesn't charge very fast anymore. It used to be a real whip, like an hour to go from empty to full. Now, when I plug it in at 27% it says it'll take 1.5 hours. But then it says it'll take 2.5 hours. Then it says it'll take 5.5 hours. It's charging barely faster than it's draining at this point. Sometimes it still charges fast, but I can't figure out why. It being on or off doesn't seem to affect it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Is it USB C?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

DrBouvenstein posted:

We have two bathrooms in our apartment and the second one has a sealed LED light we can't swap out, and I genuinely wondered wtf. I thought it was just the cheap people at my complex making bad decisions to make Number Go Down on an Excel sheet, I didn't know that was becoming A Thing.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

credburn posted:

My phone doesn't charge very fast anymore. It used to be a real whip, like an hour to go from empty to full. Now, when I plug it in at 27% it says it'll take 1.5 hours. But then it says it'll take 2.5 hours. Then it says it'll take 5.5 hours. It's charging barely faster than it's draining at this point. Sometimes it still charges fast, but I can't figure out why. It being on or off doesn't seem to affect it.

My phone was a setting to trickle charge overnight "to preserve the battery" so that by the time my alarm rings it's supposed to be fully charged. Guess how many times that actually happens.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

MrQwerty posted:

Is it USB C?

Yeah, USB C. And it's connected to the Samsung Fast Charger gizmo. I have three of those, but the same problem on all :\

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Internet Old One posted:

Google’s shopping tab used to be freaking awesome but I’m not sure how many people used it. It somehow got shittier and seems super sketchy these days.

they removed the minus operator so finding poo poo is impossible if anything has a vaguely similar name or description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
As for planned obsolescence (I mean plastic parts what ought be metal) some of the controller boards I use have changed their box designs so they have proprietary snap-in plastic standoffs rather than the metal standoffs that have been an industry standard since the 60s. The plastic standoffs are cantilevered, and these boards and boxes are installed on industrial machinery so vibration happens and the plastic cantilevers break.

I have old versions of these in the field with metal standoffs that have been in operation since 1996 with nothing but fuse replacements, and now I'm servicing 10 month old units where all 4 standoffs are snapped and need replaced and the boards are moving freely as a result. Just last week we had to replace a board that shorted against the box door for exactly this reason. It's bullshit, and each standoff is $15 (rather than $0.10 for the metal standoffs). It's pathetic money grubbing at its finest.

wash bucket posted:

I was blown away when I found out these were a thing. One of my coworkers was building a house with sealed LED fixtures in their vaulted ceiling. They absolutely could not be convinced that would be a problem one day.

Honestly the best solution to this in my opinion is shallow cans with lips and snap-in LED adapters. Cans last forever, we'll be making LED adapters for them long, long after the sun burns out.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 5, 2024