Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

God bless Phil, the god of console gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I hope this is all part of Phil Spencer’s long game of killing video games and all you morherfuckers have to go outside and play hoop and stickball

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
im mostly trolling that guy but yeah when xbox committed to all first party games launching on pc, the exclusives war was over. xbox does not give a poo poo where you play their games, they just want your sub dollars.

im glad sony is getting into releasing their games on pc now too. ever since ps4/xbone, these things have just been underpowered pcs anyway.

i think there will always be a space for a company-standardized box for normies afraid of gaming pcs and driver updates, steam machines for the next gens, but what you play these games on shouldnt matter, theyre all the same poo poo now

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
They cut back on my microsoft rewards mindshare and a month later xbox is in tatters? Coincidence?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I have both and play like 90% of my games on Xbox because of some mix of GamePass, better front end, and a store that doesn’t suck rear end

And the infinitely superior controller layout

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kri kri posted:

That's right

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i think if microsoft wants game pass to be a place where people subscribe to play microsoft AAA games then they absolutely keep making hardware to play those games on, since they don't want to be at the mercy of sony/nintendo allowing game pass on their platform

on the other hand: there is a world where they focus so hard on their AAA recurring income pillars that they drop game pass entirely, or turn game pass into some weird hybrid service of "ok so you get some warzone season passes, and you get these mobile games like the poo poo netflix is doing, and i don't know here's a WoW sub i guess??"

this does flip the model they currently have for AAA games on game pass on its head - get people in the door with a free game and then sell them $50 of DLC - but it would match some of the stuff they experimented with in the free to play realm, like how game pass gets you all of the league of legends and valorant characters

in this world, maybe things get weird enough they can cut deals with sony or nintendo that give them more flexibility. would sony go for "we're selling call of duty on playstation through PSN, but CoD players on playstation who have game pass can log in to it on playstation to get free call of duty season passes?" maybe - sony has been fairly flexible on how live services handle microtransactions on playstation, with things like destiny season passes being cross-platform entitlements (pre-sony acquisition, mind you). and they could probably just sell "game pass" on PSN at this point (with a cut for sony) because it wouldn't be a direct competitor to PS+ in the same way

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kri kri posted:

Yuppppp

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kri kri posted:

Yah it’s not even close. PlayStation and Nintendo controllers make me want to chuck them across the room

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

kri kri posted:

Yep.

With wildly inferior haptics :negative:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’ll give up gyro aiming for the incredibly satisfying clicky dpad any day of the week.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

JBP posted:

I played Starfield for $1.85 as a proportion of my piss sub and that was too much.

As a PC user, the Xbox app on PC is unimaginably bad to the point that I just pay full price for Microsoft games on Steam. I can’t even open the app on my laptop and reinstalling/uninstalling it does nothing to solve the issue.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

jeffreyw posted:

As a PC user, the Xbox app on PC is unimaginably bad to the point that I just pay full price for Microsoft games on Steam. I can’t even open the app and reinstalling/uninstalling it does nothing to solve the issue.

drat. I find it to be very clunky. Like Lies of P would just fail to launch 50% of the time due to some stupid authorisation problem, but apart from that it's just ugly and poo poo to use.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Yeah had the same issue with Forza as well as Gamepass games eating my SSD space with no real remedy to clear it without reformatting.

It’s the stupidest thing because I reckon Gamepass would attract a decent audience on PC but Microsoft apparently doesn’t give enough of a poo poo to have a storefront at least as competent as Battle.net. Such a bad experience that the “greatest value in gaming” is not worth it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

JBP posted:

, but apart from that it's just ugly and poo poo to use.

MSFT.txt

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine (Xbox Series X, the world’s most powerful gaming console).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Forza Horizon is amazing no idea what you're on about there is no other Forza

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

John F Bennett posted:

Hifi Rush is one thing, but I find it hard to believe Xbox is planning to put one of its flagship games on PS5.

It’s happening.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Game Pass brought to you by Samsung and LG it's happening.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm pretty sure Samsung TVs already have a Gamepass app, or at least talked about

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Push a software update enable desktop mode, you cowards. Let people run the Steam version of Spider-Man on their Xbox. Why not?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

This is a genuine question, i’m not taking a dig at sony: Do any games actually use the ps5’s 3d audio or haptic controller features?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lube Enthusiast posted:

This is a genuine question, i’m not taking a dig at sony: Do any games actually use the ps5’s 3d audio or haptic controller features?

Yes

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
How long until suicide squad is saved by shadow drop gamepass addition?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't believe the immortals of aveum people haven't tried to squeeze Phil for a few content grind dollars

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

How long until suicide squad is saved by shadow drop gamepass addition?

worked out great for avengers! now let me take a big sip of water and go check the store page

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Enjoy your water

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While I think Phil has been better than his predecessors at understanding the market, I think they have also done the work needed to establish that high end consoles past a certain dollar value just aren't necessary anymore.

The (for lack of a better term) "PC promise" they made years ago after the failure of GamesForWindows was, for one time, actually able to deliver what was promised and in doing so many Xbox irrelevant to people who can afford a PC. And while PCs are expensive, the combination of Game Pass like systems and the never-extinguished underground of piracy have kind of made it a secret value for a number of years to buy overpriced hardware and starve software developers of revenue, rather than buy subsidized hardware and pay for it later via game purchases and matchmaking fees. Relatively few people want boxed copies of anything at this point, but the need to capture as much revenue as possible drove them to seriously entertain that plan to shut down the minority of people who sell their used single player games on eBay to recoup their losses. The rest of the industry's big players just pivoted to neverending MMO Lite wallet drainers that are tied to an account and can't be resold. You can resell Persona 5, but LOL on you if you paid $60 for Destiny 2 since what you paid for was worth $0 in two years.

The concern to me is that while it's natural for consumers to do everything they can to reduce the cost of video games (including sharing discs and "theft" of digital copies), the idea of turning video games into this Netflix like subscription where a central database is paid by the customer and in turn the database appropriates out royalties to developers based on whatever metrics seems scary. It feels like a plan catering to games like The Order 1886 that create a huge viral splash with their first six hours of gameplay and then have nothing afterward.

The only thing that seems certain is that these games will be created by fewer people working more hours in worse conditions.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 5, 2024

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JBP posted:

I can't believe the immortals of aveum people haven't tried to squeeze Phil for a few content grind dollars
They're published by EA, and their stuff usually gets added to the EA Play thing that Game Pass Ultimate has some 9-12 months after release.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

American McGay posted:

I’ll give up gyro aiming for the incredibly satisfying clicky dpad any day of the week.
Jesus loving Christ, I hate the Xbox dpad

I have both Xbox and PS5 and really have no preference on controllers, they both have their good and bad stuff

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Feels like most of the posters here have a PS5 they barely use, the end of 2020 was hilarious with all the complaining about no games to play when everywhere else was complaining about no consoles on shelves

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've found the PS pads less awkward for fighting games (I should probably get one of those Hori pads for my Series...), but outside of that it's all really much of a muchness.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I find the ds much more comfortable. The Xbox controller feels tiny and flimsy. I also hate how grainy it is.

Also play fighting games but I use a stick. If I have to pad the ds or switch pro controller have the better dpads, although I prefer the switch pad because it's somewhat clicky.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Shirkelton posted:

It’s happening.

In that case, I'm happy that PS5 gamers finally get to enjoy Starfield, the game of the generation.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The leak way saying Microsoft approached Samsung and LG to manufacture their own Xbox Machines so we will probably have blu ray players with game pass or something I dunno. Not TVs, the leak is saying Steam Machine type things.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

newer models of samsung tv's already come with game pass pre-installed

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

John F Bennett posted:

In that case, I'm happy that PS5 gamers finally get to enjoy Starfield, the game of the generation.

Not sure what PS owners have done to deserve that…

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Iacen posted:

Not sure what PS owners have done to deserve that…

Nevertheless, they persisted.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Incredible. The internet outage in my neighborhood is NOT preventing me from playing game pass games. I’m playing Lies of P as i type this.

The Switch doesn’t even let you launch the snes library if there’s no internet connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I love playing a bit of Vampire Survivors now and then, but I can't get into Brotato. I think it's because of the small map, there are no secrets to discover and every playthrough is a bit samey.