Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Boy is he acting like a typical addict.

They try to make me go to rehab and I say "... ... ... ... ... I'm Rick Bish."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, is this what Elon meant by zero Covid cases by the end of April? Can't report them if there's no hospital staff.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gaylor Moon posted:

It's unbelievable to me that a grown adult literally just spends their days as he does. Not just an adult, the richest adult. Dude come be vacationing in exotic places, could just have a nice day at the lake, could go fishin', dude can do any leisurely activity imaginable. But aye lets just boomerpost on Twitter all day about the thing of the hour to be irrationally upset about.

He couldn’t have a nice day at the lake. He can’t have a nice day anywhere.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

i like how in choosing flight(fight or freeze), he ran towards the car. like im sure the FFF part of this brain tried its best.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

in that moment he chose to fight the car

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Sir Tonk posted:

Boy is he acting like a typical addict.

Nobody has ever mentioned rehab to me. Ever! not only do I not have a problem, but anybody who ever said that they talked to me about having a problem is a liar!

Well poo poo. I'm convinced!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

If your car gets into an argument with a pedestrian, the pedestrian will run away. but once your car sees that pedestrian, it's not going to stop. Like a bull seeing red, it will continue to charge. And it's not going to stop until it hits a solid object.

*waits for crowd to laugh*

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Total Party Kill posted:

Greek fire mech suits patrolling the border of Rome bing bong so easy why not done???

Self-driving chariots.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Elon's take ahistorical. Rome was killed by illegal immigration and falling birthrates. technology wouldn't have saved them.

Do you know what would have? A technology perhaps older than fire itself: a big beautiful wall

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I’m gonna reaaaally clamp down on this whole Jesus thing it’s kinda getting out of hand

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Does the printing press require any tech the Romans didn’t have? That one was a real game changer

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Most technology isn't a eureka moment. There has to be underlying infrastructure around materials, tolerances, scaling, and a bunch of other stuff before an idea becomes viable as a technology.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Plus a lot of advancements were due to a complex chain of events of people discovering something which inspires someone in a completely different field to try something, which leads to....

It's not like some guy decides "today I will invent the electric motor" or whatever.

Everyone should watch James Burke's Connections series.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The most powerful words in science: "huh, that's weird"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Presto posted:

Plus a lot of advancements were due to a complex chain of events of people discovering something which inspires someone in a completely different field to try something, which leads to....

It's not like some guy decides "today I will invent the electric motor" or whatever.

Everyone should watch James Burke's Connections series.

Such an amazing science show. Same with Day the Universe Changed.

Has that one incredible monologue that he syncs up with a rocket launch in the background too, rules.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sentient Data posted:

The most powerful words in science: "huh, that's weird"

Also the most terrifying in Chemistry :v:.

If you hear it from someone in a supporting role though (tech/IT support), what it really means is they've just realized a five-minute problem's potentially a five-hour problem and they're trying not to swear in front of you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Prettz posted:

knowing about modern metallurgy doesn't mean there's any chance in hell anyone back then can reproduce it. there's no infrastructure to produce pure materials.

I've read a few stories of people going back with future tech and messing up this or that but the reality would probably make for a way better story if someone did the research and wasn't hooked on just the leapfrogging power fantasy.

Even just locating the resources, getting to them, if they're even reachable or not covered in dangerous who knows what, let alone convincing anyone else to do work to extract and work them. If they're even available to that culture realistically at that time and range.

The easiest things to bring back would probably be math and astronomy,

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The easiest thing to bring back would be concepts. Depending on when and where you are going, and what your end goal is, things like "the scientific method", "germ theory" or "Ponzi scheme" are very mentally lightweight for how much societal impact they can bring to bear

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I would infect everyone with my modern-day diseases and then humanity would die and Twitter would never exist. Win-win scenario.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Ryan North, of Dinosaur Comics fame, wrote a book about bootstrapping technology from various time periods called How to Invent Everything. It's presented as a survival manual included in a time machine going through a tech tree and is a fun way to crash-course through 40 thousand years of human technological advancements.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh, apparently gout isn't lethal or infectious. Never mind, then.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh, apparently gout isn't lethal or infectious. Never mind, then.

fortunately for us, you have to keep your piss crystals to yourself

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

The easiest thing to bring back would be concepts. Depending on when and where you are going, and what your end goal is, things like "the scientific method", "germ theory" or "Ponzi scheme" are very mentally lightweight for how much societal impact they can bring to bear

Imagining how modern banking could save the Roman Empire.

By which I mean crashing it even faster of course.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i wish musk would disparage the apollo astronauts so Aldrin will punch him

Neil Armstrong made him cry.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Evilreaver posted:

The good ideas in religious texts like "usury will destroy us all" and "don't be a dick" were written by time travelers trying to distill important bits into easy to swallow messages

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I used to have to top it off every once in a while, but uh... yeah, just stopped.

Are you using mineral oil? Because that leaves sediments that will eventually stop leaks

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I would infect everyone with my modern-day diseases and then humanity would die and Twitter would never exist. Win-win scenario.

i would bring back the concept of the everything app, x

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thathonkey posted:

i would bring back the concept of the everything app, x

Why; is something happening on it?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

He's still wearing that jacket, huh?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

digital penitence posted:

Well, it would almost fit him if he weighed like 20 kg less.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Mom let me wear my bomber jacket to the WW2 museum.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, it would almost fit him if he weighed like 20 kg less.

Did he stop taking Ozempic or are we at the limits of what even modern medicine can do?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gschmidl posted:

Did he stop taking Ozempic or are we at the limits of what even modern medicine can do?

It's just that his guts are huge.

:rip: and tear.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be a cool jacket if it wasn't on Elmo

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Good luck with widespread adoption though. The initial uptake of ideas is always very slow no matter how good they are.

Take X: Elon replaced the little blue bird with the X, which is totally badass. Now anytime you see an x anywhere you can't help but think of the everything app. It's genius!

But the mainstream media clings to calling it Twitter even though the new name was rolled out months ago!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Incredible fit

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

This is how peak performance looks like

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The funniest thing, to me, is that the jacket doesn't make him look half as much a complete fucko as the way the cap fits.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I've read a few stories of people going back with future tech and messing up this or that but the reality would probably make for a way better story if someone did the research and wasn't hooked on just the leapfrogging power fantasy.

Even just locating the resources, getting to them, if they're even reachable or not covered in dangerous who knows what, let alone convincing anyone else to do work to extract and work them. If they're even available to that culture realistically at that time and range.

The easiest things to bring back would probably be math and astronomy,

There's a great Asimov story where a scientist obsessed with ancient Greece/Rome (can't remember which) goes back in time to give them the steam engine to jump start an industrial revolution two thousand years early.

Turns out he's the inspiration for the small steam engine toys scattered through history. The empire continued to just use slaves, the cheaper and easier option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Oh no....an X poll. Mayorkas is really going to have to fight for his political life now...

Non-zero chance a GOP goober pulls this out in Congress to show the public support for impeachment.