Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
With the caveat that this is the first I'm hearing of this, I'm weary about anyone saying that Vince McMahon is "done" given how "done" he was, what, two years ago was it?

Nothing would make me happier if he was, and for good measure by getting the book thrown at him, but I know better.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ConanThe3rd posted:

With the caveat that this is the first I'm hearing of this, I'm weary about anyone saying that Vince McMahon is "done" given how "done" he was, what, two years ago was it?

Nothing would make me happier if he was, and for good measure by getting the book thrown at him, but I know better.

It's been a big story for the past couple days, it's made national news, and he was already forced to resign today. They even went as far as wiping his bio from the website. Slim Jim pulled their advertising for the Royal Rumble and it's rumored more advertisers are considering doing the same.

He's not the majority shareholder anymore either. He doesn't have a way back in this time. He's well and truly out this time and they ain't letting him back in again.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1751055804369711363?s=20
https://twitter.com/AdamGoldberg28/status/1751089411226304582

Like, the details of this story are BAD. We've always known that Vince is a monster but this time it's bad even for him. He's loving finished.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If anyone wants to dig into this further without digging through all the sordid details, the goons over at Punchsport Pagoda have put up a rather informative thread about the whole affair.

It literally, legitimately, cannot be understated how nauseating and loving awful the full details are, they are NWS, NMS, and are disgusting in just about every single way you can imagine a content warning about the allegations in question can be. Read ahead at your own risk.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 27, 2024

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Vandar posted:

It's been a big story for the past couple days, it's made national news, and he was already forced to resign today. They even went as far as wiping his bio from the website. Slim Jim pulled their advertising for the Royal Rumble and it's rumored more advertisers are considering doing the same.

He's not the majority shareholder anymore either. He doesn't have a way back in this time. He's well and truly out this time and they ain't letting him back in again.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1751055804369711363?s=20
https://twitter.com/AdamGoldberg28/status/1751089411226304582

Like, the details of this story are BAD. We've always known that Vince is a monster but this time it's bad even for him. He's loving finished.

Leslie Lee III is having a very good day right now

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The extra twist that this only came out because he decided not to pay the victim hush money is wild to me.

*I have read nothing and am going by from what I half listened to someone saying about it

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
SirMeowMusic's arc from telling a story about awkwardly meeting Woolie to Woolie reacting to that story to them becoming friends is wholesome af

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The heat this week was one of the better “culture fits” they’ve ever had. Wouldn’t mind him swinging by on occasion. Speaking of, we’re due for Susie to sit in on and episode are we not?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah this meow guy really brought it and was a great fit lol. That said, I had to roll my eyes out of my skull when he went "i don't care for Nintendo anymore since last year. They don't care for their IPs so I shouldn't care about them." and when asked he was talking about loving Chibi Robo

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah this meow guy really brought it and was a great fit lol. That said, I had to roll my eyes out of my skull when he went "i don't care for Nintendo anymore since last year. They don't care for their IPs so I shouldn't care about them." and when asked he was talking about loving Chibi Robo

I too found Substitute Liam amusing, in metered doses.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I'm glad someone finally had the courage to make a stand against Pat's stupid neurosis for once.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Pat Previews At Persona 3 Reload (sponsored by Sega)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdl6AZQn0A

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Watching Woolie play HL2 is just as painful as I had hoped/feared. Never in my life had I seen anyone get dropped to less than half health before even starting Route Kanal, or take a full 30 seconds to very carefully take out one barnacle.

I am genuinely excited for next time. He is going to get so lost in Ravenholm.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tupperwarez posted:

I too found Substitute Liam amusing, in metered doses.

Oh huh. That didn't really occur to me while listening but that is pretty on point.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Karanas posted:

I'm glad someone finally had the courage to make a stand against Pat's stupid neurosis for once.

The bathroom thing was a good litmus test on where you personally draw the line. I was on Meow's side for dapping someone up from underneath the stall walls but I switched sides when he said he'd go for a hug before washing his hands.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Ryaomon posted:

The bathroom thing was a good litmus test on where you personally draw the line. I was on Meow's side for dapping someone up from underneath the stall walls but I switched sides when he said he'd go for a hug before washing his hands.

Admittedly that last part was a bit much.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

He was a good fit while also somehow being an extremely irritating and obnoxious person.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Also, don’t bother people when they’re pissing you freaks. 97% of the population loving hates that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

You're surprised that a company that regularly abuses its most fervent fans with Kafka Novels parading as tournament guideline documents, has a history of memory hole'ing IPs, and has been on the shits as far as output is concerned for a while now (PKMN 9, AW ReBoot Camp) is starting to foster resentment?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did you literally list two games not made by nintendo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Advance wars reboot is good

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Does Nintendo actually hold the rights to Chibi Robo?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tae posted:

Did you literally list two games not made by nintendo

Yes, the two non-switch-exclusive games not developed for Nintendo based on IP they don't own.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just seems weird to hate Nintendo for anything other than their legal team

They're far from perfect, but I don't know they've committed any gaming sin worse than the friend code.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Shinjobi posted:

Just seems weird to hate Nintendo for anything other than their legal team

They're far from perfect, but I don't know they've committed any gaming sin worse than the friend code.
Their games never go on sale, upper management are dinosaurs, they routinely release consoles that get outclassed by Sony / Microsoft within two years, and there's no equivalent to game pass / Playstation Plus

Nintendo's up there with Disney in terms of how actively hostile they are to their consumer base

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Their games never go on sale, upper management are dinosaurs, they routinely release consoles that get outclassed by Sony / Microsoft within two years, and there's no equivalent to game pass / Playstation Plus

Nintendo's up there with Disney in terms of how actively hostile they are to their consumer base

Those last two things are in fact not negatives

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Andrast posted:

Those last two things are in fact not negatives

Nah, their consoles being ridiculously underpowered compared to the other 2 is a big issue. Even Nintendo's own IPs struggle to run on it, like Age of Calamity and Three Houses. And the few miracle ports like the Witcher and the Bethesda shooters still come with heavy concessions to their graphics. Neverwinter Nights, a game from the year 2000 (and ran fine even on low-end pcs), should not have its frames cut in half just from rotating the camera. Only on the Switch does it happen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Nah, their consoles being ridiculously underpowered compared to the other 2 is a big issue. Even Nintendo's own IPs struggle to run on it, like Age of Calamity and Three Houses. And the few miracle ports like the Witcher and the Bethesda shooters still come with heavy concessions to their graphics. Neverwinter Nights, a game from the year 2000 (and ran fine even on low-end pcs), should not have its frames cut in half just from rotating the camera. Only on the Switch does it happen.

It's almost like it's a 7 year old handheld instead of a 3 year old full home console.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the cheapo hardware has issues due to being, cheapo hardware, but I dunno how that in itself is "hostile" when that's what the sell is, same as every nintendo handheld.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kay Kessler posted:

I am still blown away by the fact that the Switch got a Mortal Kombat 1 port and the Xbox One/PS4 didn't

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Motto posted:

the cheapo hardware has issues due to being, cheapo hardware, but I dunno how that in itself is "hostile" when that's what the sell is, same as every nintendo handheld.

not sure OP was suggesting that part was "consumer hostile" but I'd more assume the lack of sales/dropping prices on first party games, poor refund policy, price/offerings for their online subscription, and stuff like how they've handled virtual console (each console basically being a reset of availability of their back catalog that really shouldn't need to be and generally just being lovely about letting people get access to old games.)

That said I don't feel like Sony and Microsoft are particularly better when it comes to refunds, online service and back catalogue, so not sure I agree Nintendo is alone in being as consumer hostile as Disney.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Andrast posted:

It's almost like it's a 7 year old handheld instead of a 3 year old full home console.

Then they should make their games with that in mind instead of releasing stuff that performs so badly that people don't even bother playing the game until Nintendo releases new hardware, if not just emulate it.

Edit: \/\/\/ - way to miss my point.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 5, 2024

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Then they should make their games with that in mind instead of releasing stuff that performs so badly that people don't even bother playing the game until Nintendo releases new hardware, if not just emulate it.

There are in fact lots of good games on the switch that run well

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Nintendo hoarding their backlog of games and only tossing out a pittance of them sucks. Their design of prior consoles like the DS and 3DS and WiiU with display gimmicks that make them inherently difficult to port, while also inevitably shutting down support like their online storefronts and servers, also sucks. Their consoles not being on the same tier of processing power as Microsoft and Sony isn't inherently bad, but if first party games are straining under the limitations then yeah something needs to change there. Nintendo being as aggressive with IP enforcement and image-cultivating also blows.

But Gamefreak & the Pokemon Company is a parallel but separate issue. There's clearly some directive in place to churn out new games on an oppressive release schedule because previous generations of games not getting a yearly release meant "competitors" were able to creep in and nip at Pokemon's heels, and we can't have another "Yokai Watch " situation erupt where a new monster-collecting game gets some modest attention. The main Nintendo games aren't working under those same directives. Instead, they ignore most of their non-Zelda, non-Mario or at most toss out one new game every console generation or three.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Motto posted:

Nintendo has a decades-long history of being obsessed with the concept of proprietary software interacting with proprietary hardware. It took multiple console generations for them to get around to the concept of CDs when the writing was clearly on the wall that it was the best option at the time. Their consoles being off-cycle with their competitors inevitably leads to contemporary 3rd party games running like dogshit once the new generation rolls around.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Nintendo has a decades-long history of being obsessed with the concept of proprietary software interacting with proprietary hardware. It took multiple console generations for them to get around to the concept of CDs when the writing was clearly on the wall that it was the best option at the time. Their consoles being off-cycle with their competitors inevitably leads to contemporary 3rd party games running like dogshit once the new generation rolls around.

The Switch is a handheld, it wouldn't get well performing current gen ports even if it was released at the same time as the other consoles.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

the nintendo knight has logged on

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Andrast posted:

The Switch is a handheld, it wouldn't get well performing current gen ports even if it was released at the same time as the other consoles.
Counterpoint: having the Switch double as a handheld gives a convenient excuse for when games on it run and look like poo poo

Indecisive posted:

:hmmyes:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Indecisive posted:

The only point I have argued is the weird thing where it's somehow anti-consumer to make a less powerful console.

All the other points about Nintendo being poo poo are very valid because they are in fact poo poo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Froghammer posted:

Counterpoint: having the Switch double as a handheld gives a convenient excuse for when games on it run and look like poo poo

think it might be because aside from the wii cheap handhelds are the only relevant hardware they've managed to make since the snes

e: like andrast I'm just stuck on making weaker cheaper stuff being anti-consumer. If you just said the switch is a flimsy thing with the worst 1st party controllers in decades I'd agree

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Maybe it's just me, but for the past three generations Nintendo has refused to make a home console without a gimmick attached to it, and that gimmick has routinely made said consoles lag behind their competitors. I just want them to be a regular company that makes regular video games that play on a regular console, and that they either can't or won't feels antagonistic.