Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Karach posted:

someday a liberal won't disappoint you and you won't be ready for it. it will knock your toque right off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the national dental plan that the libs promised in exchange for ndp support has been put on hold and will not fully cover everyone until next year. next year is an election year by the way. :rip:

lol he did it again

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

One of my kids is in a $10/day preschool, and that's nice. It doesn't get my vote, but it's nice.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Dental Plan 2025 same energy as Biden running on Abortion access.

Both rehashing the same poo poo from 4 years ago, twilight zone bullshit

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So long dental plan!
Trudeau needs votes
Dental plan!
Trudeau needs votes
Dental plan!
If we give up on our dental plan now, we can promise it in the next election!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
We all know the NDP wont do poo poo about this and trudeau is better at this game than singh

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Medical assistance in dentistry :D

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

RBC posted:

We all know the NDP wont do poo poo about this and trudeau is better at this game than singh

Doesn't matter who's better at the game if they're on the same team ;)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol nobody in the NDP was smart enough to get the liberals to bring back the per vote subsidy? That didn't occur to anyone?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Conservatives psychos are saying that the liberals are trying to steal the election by bringing in ranked voting lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I played Suzerain recently, which is set in a lightly reskinned early cold war Europe, and early on in the game your party votes to change the subsidy from per-vote to per-elected member, which is decried as antidemocratic since it favours the vote-efficient parties and excludes those that don't meet the 10% threshold for inclusion in parliament. lol at us.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Conservatives psychos are saying that the liberals are trying to steal the election by bringing in ranked voting lol

Well, they are.

STV would by far benefit the Liberals, which is why it was their preferred reform over MMP

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I played Suzerain recently, which is set in a lightly reskinned early cold war Europe, and early on in the game your party votes to change the subsidy from per-vote to per-elected member, which is decried as antidemocratic since it favours the vote-efficient parties and excludes those that don't meet the 10% threshold for inclusion in parliament. lol at us.

Suzerain is an incredible game. Been meaning to do a replay since they released 2.0

It is entirely possible to create a communist utopia whole avoiding war with Rumburg. Take some notes, Trudope

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Cold on a Cob posted:

my Chinese landlord is liquidating too so maybe it’s just a new fad they’re doing over there and they’re gonna get into funkos next

really smoky blue/grey

Hey north, you're south.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But, correct me if I'm wrong, our glorious leaders secured neither in this deal to prop up the Liberal government?

So now we have no money going into an election where the Liberals are unpopular.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have no idea why the Liberals didn't bring back the per-vote subsidy, it benefits them more than the Cons but I guess they did some math and figured it would benefit the other parties even more so it's back to $200-a-plate fundraisers (well ok by now $200 probably only gets you a fork and a napkin).

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the Liberals see what the Democrats are doing in america and want to replicate it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I thought their election reform thing was just sosme boundary changes and empty 'increase access to the most ftw thing ever, voting' type stuff

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I have no idea why the Liberals didn't bring back the per-vote subsidy, it benefits them more than the Cons but I guess they did some math and figured it would benefit the other parties even more so it's back to $200-a-plate fundraisers (well ok by now $200 probably only gets you a fork and a napkin).

When I left, it was $1600 a plate, the legal max at the time.

These events are open bar tho, so like, we really lost money on some of them. Especially the biannual "Laurier Club"* events in Ottawa which are also held at big Ottawa venues(NAC, National Art Gallery, Museum of civilization etc.)

*the liberal maximum donor program.

gently caress the only thing I miss about that job which damaged my soul is the parliamentary reception invites. Cheap date night, getting to eat free food and wine (taste of nova scotia was dope) and playing video games all night at the video game industry lobby night.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
when I was in Ottawa for co-ops during the late 90s (RIP Nortel) it was super fun party town mostly because of all the newfies who headed west for work. and that’s without the government schmoozefests which would be a whole new level I imagine.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The main reason is I think both lib and cons can rely on funding from private donors and are financially stable that way while the NDP and other parties can't maintain the same kind of war chest

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Liberals saw a way to knock out the Bloc and NDP (and Greens) I suppose? I think the deal with the Tories to eliminate it also increased the amount of personal and corporate donations allowed, because of course it did.

It was called the Fairer Elections Act iirc, Citizens United was already taken.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

When I left, it was $1600 a plate, the legal max at the time.

These events are open bar tho, so like, we really lost money on some of them. Especially the biannual "Laurier Club"* events in Ottawa which are also held at big Ottawa venues(NAC, National Art Gallery, Museum of civilization etc.)

*the liberal maximum donor program.

gently caress the only thing I miss about that job which damaged my soul is the parliamentary reception invites. Cheap date night, getting to eat free food and wine (taste of nova scotia was dope) and playing video games all night at the video game industry lobby night.

Bunny, are you the unnamed Liberal staffer who yelled obscenities at the trucker convoy?

If so, well done.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The Liberals saw a way to knock out the Bloc and NDP (and Greens) I suppose? I think the deal with the Tories to eliminate it also increased the amount of personal and corporate donations allowed, because of course it did.

It was called the Fairer Elections Act iirc, Citizens United was already taken.

FWIW, in 2003, Chretien did bring in regulation that brought the per vote subsidy and critically, banned corporate donations in federal elections.

So like, an unambiguously good thing, although tbf it also banned union donations.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Bunny, are you the unnamed Liberal staffer who yelled obscenities at the trucker convoy?

If so, well done.

I wish. I mean, a. I wasn't working for the party at the time. b. At the time I lived in Nepean, c. I have some good close friends who lived in the area who did poo poo on them like that but weren't published that far (Side Note: RIP to a really good friend of mine who passed away this year from cancer who did that.)

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
enjoyed the discussion of Canadian TV a few pages back (Corner Gas is the best) and it was going well until someone linked Spenny's ultrazionism. gently caress that guy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Karach posted:

Suzerain is an incredible game. Been meaning to do a replay since they released 2.0

It is entirely possible to create a communist utopia whole avoiding war with Rumburg. Take some notes, Trudope

ooh yeah i should probably revisit the game now, i had a great time with my couple playthroughs not long after it came out. Bonus points for it making me think all the text in the game in a mildly insensitive Chekov-esque exaggerated russian accent.

lmao though i actually managed somehow to get onto the new disability program in manitoba that is apparently stupid difficult to qualify for (unambiguously white name privilege maybe i guess) so i should actually qualify for that june signup (and good god i need it) but jesus christ this is what happens when your entire platform hinges on 'people will vote for us because have you seen the other guy'

bunnyofdoom posted:

FWIW, in 2003, Chretien did bring in regulation that brought the per vote subsidy and critically, banned corporate donations in federal elections.

So like, an unambiguously good thing, although tbf it also banned union donations.

lmao at this uncomfortable feeling of vague nostalgia for fuckin chretien. i'm not even too terribly fussed about banning union donations in the process of banning corporate donations, they are not the same thing but for the purposes of political donations, i'm not going to lose sleep over that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

saints gambit posted:

Hey north, you're south.

my memory is muddy what's this country that i'm in?
lib polling is sinking man and i don't wanna swim

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Well ranked voting would mean the conservatives would never have power again so I can see the clamour about it.

They should be very in favour of proportional rep though given their terrible voting efficiency.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

PhilippAchtel posted:

Go to your local Palestine protest

Yes.

haha oh my god. Who is actually making these decisions? They’ve been hiring and training help line workers the last few months to get ready for the surge in applicants... I am truly in awe of some of the LPC’s decisions lately.

ugh. Anyways, any of the pilots here seen or heard stories about the UAPs over the prairies?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/pilots-describe-bizarre-lights-and-triangles-over-canada-in-air-traffic-control-audio-1.6748300

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Yellow Ant posted:

Yes.

haha oh my god. Who is actually making these decisions? They’ve been hiring and training help line workers the last few months to get ready for the surge in applicants... I am truly in awe of some of the LPC’s decisions lately.

ugh. Anyways, any of the pilots here seen or heard stories about the UAPs over the prairies?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/pilots-describe-bizarre-lights-and-triangles-over-canada-in-air-traffic-control-audio-1.6748300

quote:

Mick West describes himself as a coder, science communicator and false conspiracy theory debunker. West firmly believes the pilots were seeing sunlight reflected from SpaceX Starlink satellites(opens in a new tab) on Jan. 19.

"When the sun is below the horizon, it can reflect off the flat bottom of Starlink satellites for about 10 to 30 seconds," West told CTVNews.ca from California. "There are lots of satellites moving in different directions, and this creates the illusion of objects circling or forming triangles."

West, a former video-game programmer, even created a 3D simulation of the satellites, Earth and sun to back up his conclusion(opens in a new tab).

"When we drop in the location and time from the pilot report, we see the Starlink horizon flares, exactly as the pilots describe them," West said.

I've definitely seen trains of starlink satellites moving across the night sky in MB. I live in a rural area so when it's clear they're very easy to see. They move quite quickly. seems plausible to me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Manulife backing down on sucking Galen's dick

Still should be an investigation by the comp bureau

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Karach posted:

I've definitely seen trains of starlink satellites moving across the night sky in MB. I live in a rural area so when it's clear they're very easy to see. They move quite quickly. seems plausible to me.

the pilots say it's not starlink as they were flashing

probably has something to do with the stuff the US shot down in the north last year

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Grits have liuterally nothing to offer so they're holding dental care hostage it's so cool. The Tories can basically stop trying at this point they've already won lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Maybe the based Social Landlords party will save the day. Orange Wave 2 baby lets go. A chicken in every pot, a rental property in every portfolio

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
in happier news, the king of this great land, charles, has cancer and will die soon

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Who's next in line for the throne?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Randalor posted:

Who's next in line for the throne?

I think for Canada that would be Lord Conrad Black

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fried Watermelon posted:

the pilots say it's not starlink as they were flashing

probably has something to do with the stuff the US shot down in the north last year

It's good for the US to practice their stratospheric combat techniques over Manitoba. That way if something falls out of the sky nothing important will be damaged.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

Maybe the based Social Landlords party will save the day. Orange Wave 2 baby lets go. A chicken in every pot, a rental property in every portfolio

what if you could be your own landlord?

a new take on the canadian dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Al Waxman is the only king I recognize.