Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Wakko posted:

like even if you discarded the fly ash and the fracking brine, capitalism's drive to develop mega-cancer fuel additives at an increasing rate is all you need to know about what the future holds for fossil fuel health impacts as EROI declines

a 1.3 in 1 chance of developing cancer is a hell of a statistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
well it's certainly a novel way to do a degrowth

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nuke every mansion and factory farm then build a nuke power plant in the rubble

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Xaris posted:

well it's certainly a novel way to do a degrowth

It's more like an economic growth if you think about it.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Mr. Sharps posted:

its only a problem if you live near a road its not that bad yet

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mags posted:

radiation made my dick huge? :shrug: ymmv

Tumorous, for her pleasure.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mr. Sharps posted:

it's only 1.3 in 1 taken over the course of a whole human lifetime in the pre-collapse times

the odds are much better if you take into account the event horizon of the 2030s

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Wakko posted:

like even if you discarded the fly ash and the fracking brine, capitalism's drive to develop mega-cancer fuel additives at an increasing rate is all you need to know about what the future holds for fossil fuel health impacts as EROI declines

lmfao. burning plastic directly ftw

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Xaris posted:

Tangentially related because we've killed off all natural predators en-masse and biodiversity is shrinking rapidly

it's also interesting that apparently prions can be uptaken into plants, which uh, yikes that it can be cycled through again and again. considering we use a lot of biosolids for fertilizer and stuff as well which can contain proteins (they aren't chemically or thermally destroyed). since humans and deer do share some similar protein structures, it's probably a matter of time but hopefully after climate change kills us. oh well, just toss it on the pile imo. nothing to worry about compared to *waves hand at everything burning down in the background*

lol if the Mal is real and instead of being a weird take on something like roadside picknick is actually just prions waiting frozen in some defrosting tundra

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I bet you all go through the scanner at the airport instead of opting for the pat-down. Irradiated fools...

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Dokapon Findom posted:

I bet you all go through the scanner at the airport instead of opting for the pat-down. Irradiated fools...

Yeah, ‘cause kissing the stratosphere doesn’t irradiate you at all. :jerkbag: gently caress planes

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
Alternatively: how else are goons gonna get people to look at their massive irradiated hogs?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

]

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

OIL PANIC posted:

Yeah, ‘cause kissing the stratosphere doesn’t irradiate you at all. :jerkbag: gently caress planes

Solar radiation: healthy, desirable even
Manmade radiation: put your garbage in another mans veins!!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Prefer natural harvest radiation tbqh, I know that is a bit bougie

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

we must monetize the sun, those freeloading autotrophs have been living large for too long

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

we are thats what pv is

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Any of y'all ever tried making the zinc-antimony cells that Low Tech Mag talked about here? https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2021/10/how-to-build-a-low-tech-solar-panel/

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

MightyBigMinus posted:

we are thats what plants are

Also fossil fuels earth space battery ftw

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
for every degree of warming, i turn my aircon down 3

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Prefer natural harvest radiation tbqh, I know that is a bit bougie

Starting a petition to shut down the Oklo Reactor

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

ARKSTORM

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Fartstorm

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

me tonight, pounding the table with my fists:

me next Wednesday, crestfallen:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I forgot to post the graph for a while and it went up up up

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

:w00t:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
earth's got the covid and just running a fever to fight off the infection. nbd it'll go away soon

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i don't like it when it goes up

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Xaris posted:

earth's got the covid and just running a fever to fight off the infection. nbd it'll go away soon

Climate change, like covid, is mild

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Xaris posted:

I will vote to make it well

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

I'm in this post, and I don't like it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

doing great :shobon:

june-august is going to be something lmao

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Dokapon Findom posted:

Thinking about how aluminum was once a prized metal and now I can crumple it up and throw it in the garbage because I'm too lazy to wash a pan :effort:

thinking about how guinea was destroyed (and is still being destroyed) for bauxite

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol "green energy" was never a panacea to begin with but throw in the liberal landed gentry nimbys and you got a stew baby

Across America, clean energy plants are being banned faster than they're being built

quote:

At least 15% of counties in the U.S. have effectively halted new utility-scale wind, solar, or both, USA TODAY found. These limits come through outright bans, moratoriums, construction impediments and other conditions that make green energy difficult to build.

anecdotally working on a large PV in california has been absolutely disastrous nightmare under CEQA. i dont think we're going to do it again. especially doesn't pencil out with new net metering

e: also lol at taking granny to court

quote:

The land owned by the Knoche family is just one spot in a statewide fight in Kansas, which has both the nation’s fourth best wind resources and, as solar power technology has become more efficient, strong solar as well: the same sunlight that drives photosynthesis in large-scale crops like corn can generate energy in solar panels.

Today, the state gets 47.13% of its electricity from wind and 0.33% from solar.

Yet now, 14 of the 105 counties in Kansas block wind turbines and 12 block solar farms. These include outright bans, height restrictions, unworkable setbacks for turbines, size limitations for solar farms, caps on the amount of agricultural land that can be used and, in McPherson County, an “indefinite moratorium” on solar applications.
A sign reading No Industrial Solar in Johnson County, Kansas in response to a proposed solar project in the county. February 24, 2023

These efforts mirror those in hundreds of counties and townships across the nation, where the merest hint of a potential project quickly brings forth a Facebook group, yard signs, organized protests and – increasingly – zoning rules and laws that make new renewable energy impossible to build.

Seen as just one flare-up in a nationwide trend to oppose local green-energy projects, the fight in Johnson County shouldn’t be surprising.

But to Donna Knoche, 93, and her husband Robert “Doc” Knoche, 95, it’s bewildering – and annoying.

For them, leasing acres to a solar farm would simplify their land’s care, keep it available for farming when the lease runs out and allow it to continue to be passed on through the generations.

“We figured it was just one of those sorts of things that you could do – like buying a house or leasing a car. You could just do it on your own and not have to deal with all this complexity,” Donna said.

Instead, it has become a five-year battle.

“I had no idea it would drag on this long,” said Doc.

quote:

Opponents decried what they call industrial wind and solar and said the installations have no place in an idyllic landscape of corn, wheat, soybeans and cattle.
oh no not my beautiful land of... corn

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:12 on Feb 5, 2024

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

It was always birbs. :bird:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
which one of you is this?

https://twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1754458795080884574

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui