Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WaltherFeng posted:

Games tend to have weird things related to weapon upgrades.

MGSV: The Phantom Pain has a weapon upgrade called double magazine which is 2 magazines taped together. This is one those "tier 1 operator tacticool" stuff some people do.

The description says it improves reload speed but that's only half the truth. It improves reload speed only if you fire the whole magazine empty and then Snake will quickly switch the paired mags

If you reload while half full, Snake will put both mags away and pull out another taped pair from his pocket so you wont get the benefit of fast reload.

Out of curiosity, if you fire the mag empty so he switches to the other side of the pair, then fire THAT empty, do you get a benefit of fast reload, or is it detailed enough that it remembers the other half is already empty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah only the first reload of the paired mags is faster and then you pull out another pair from your pocket.

I have to admit I made an error. You can in fact fast reload even while your mag is only half full but you have to AIM and reload at the same time. This triggers the special reload animation.

The game never tells you this so you might think the upgrade is broken.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space Remake has a similar really really annoying control hurdle: you can't heal while aiming. If you hit the button which is very doable, nothing happens. The game doesn't indicate anywhere that this is the case, so you're going to die and ask what the gently caress just happened a whole lot because you had 7 medkits and were jamming on heal.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:57 on Feb 3, 2024

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SiKboy posted:

Out of curiosity, if you fire the mag empty so he switches to the other side of the pair, then fire THAT empty, do you get a benefit of fast reload, or is it detailed enough that it remembers the other half is already empty?

It's a Kojima game

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Continuing with The Callisto Protocol, this game has the most hilariously pointless audiologs I've ever seen. Most of them are maybe thirty seconds long tops and they just boil down to "OH NO! SPACE ZOMBIES! WE'RE GOING TO GET KILLED BY SPACE ZOMBIES! BLARGGGGH!" They add absolutely nothing to the worldbuilding, the plot, or the spookiness in any way.

They apparently had to patch in the ability to listen to them immediately after grabbing them, having somehow failed to recognize a design issue that's been solved since at least System Shock 2. Which is good because if I had to stop and open up a separate menu to listen to these, I would feel insulted.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

When is a game going to have the courage to include a 2 hour in universe podcast as an audio log? Unskippable of course

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bossy lady posted:

When is a game going to have the courage to include a 2 hour in universe podcast as an audio log? Unskippable of course

Death Stranding 2, calling it now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bossy lady posted:

I know it's skippable but MGS4 has that, and you can even download new ones!

So, even back then...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

bossy lady posted:

Technically the Witness did if you wanted to complete one of the puzzles. You had to watch some TED talk, but you also had to pay attention to the puzzle element because it showed up midway through. And as I recall, you had to babysit it around the room for the duration of the talk. And if you failed, you had to restart the talk from the beginning. The talk was something like 52 minutes, IIRC.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I had totally forgotten about these.

DoubleNegative posted:

Technically the Witness did if you wanted to complete one of the puzzles. You had to watch some TED talk, but you also had to pay attention to the puzzle element because it showed up midway through. And as I recall, you had to babysit it around the room for the duration of the talk. And if you failed, you had to restart the talk from the beginning. The talk was something like 52 minutes, IIRC.

I'd rather butt stomp a rat trap than play another jon blow game

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The Witness spoilers: It's a GDC talk, 55 min if I recall, and you don't have to babysit anything - you can do one click at the very beginning and come back 54 minutes later to do the rest. But you can't tab out of the game in that time lol. Pretty sure it's Jonathan Blow intentionally punishing you for wanting to 100% the game; he did something similar in Braid (though without any audio and you could tab out for it).

bossy lady posted:

I'd rather butt stomp a rat trap than play another jon blow game

99% of The Witness is really cool and a supremely excellent puzzle game, imo, but there's that 1% that sucks major poo poo for no reason other than jon blow is a loving rear end in a top hat

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

The Witness spoilers: It's a GDC talk, 55 min if I recall, and you don't have to babysit anything - you can do one click at the very beginning and come back 54 minutes later to do the rest. But you can't tab out of the game in that time lol. Pretty sure it's Jonathan Blow intentionally punishing you for wanting to 100% the game; he did something similar in Braid (though without any audio and you could tab out for it).

99% of The Witness is really cool and a supremely excellent puzzle game, imo, but there's that 1% that sucks major poo poo for no reason other than jon blow is a loving rear end in a top hat

There's a speed run category that is 99.5% just skipping that puzzle

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
One of the secret stars in Braid also required you to wait on a slow moving cloud platform for hours, wasting the player's time seems to be a requisite feature of every Jonathan Blow game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like he blows at making games!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DontMockMySmock posted:

At least it's easy to ignore that 1%.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

[...]

They apparently had to patch in the ability to listen to them immediately after grabbing them, having somehow failed to recognize a design issue that's been solved since at least System Shock 2. Which is good because if I had to stop and open up a separate menu to listen to these, I would feel insulted.
Watch Dogs Legion had audiologs which wouldn't reliably play as you picked them up (lots of ways to interrupt them IIRC) and the only way to listen to them after pickup was through the menu. Except the playback stopped if you quit the menu.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

bawk posted:

I started my second sitting of Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown last night, and after hitting "Launch" on the game through the Epic Store, it

• popped up a User Account Control message for Ubisoft Connect to click yes on
  • popped up another User Account Control message for Ubisoft Connect to click yes on
  • one more of those for good measure
  • JK one more
  • Finally opened the Prince of Persia loading icon in the center of three screen
  • Loading screen found a patch to download (has to be downloaded from Ubisoft, apparently this can't be handled by Epic who regularly updates games in the background 24/7/365)
  • Update finished, which requires Ubisoft Connect to close and restart
  • popped up a User Account Control message for Ubisoft Connect to click yes on
  • popped up another UAC message for Ubisoft Connect
  • Of course it did it a third time, which must mean...
  • Yep, there's UAC prompt #4! (#8 total)

Then I could play the game. It's not new, I reluctantly clicked yes on the first 4 UAC prompts when I first installed the game, but having to do it 4 times every time I launch the game, then 4 more times after a single patch was applied, makes me think I'm better off uninstalling the game and quarantining the Ubisoft Connect process. There's no earthly reason for it to need that many confirmations unless it's going full corporate-approved spyware

This is every Ubisoft game, and Watch Dogs Legion loads the Ubisoft launcher in a flawed way that generates 2 UAC prompts about a third of the time it starts. I've used debugging tools on it, whether you do or don't authorize the UAC prompts it doesn't do anything differently, it seems like it's just hard coded to believe the launcher is out of date, so it spools up the updater which then immediately spools down. Been like that for years and it sucks poo poo and I no longer buy Ubi games as a result.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In the Sims 4, your Sim can get embarrassed and wear a paper bag on their head, with a smiley face drawn on the front. The face doesn't change when the Sim experiences a moodlet like sad, confident, or terrified.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Philippe posted:

In the Sims 4, your Sim can get embarrassed and wear a paper bag on their head, with a smiley face drawn on the front. The face doesn't change when the Sim experiences a moodlet like sad, confident, or terrified.

Pretty sure you posted in the wrong thread because this is awesome.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Just had to delete plague tale requiem after dying to the last boss 10+ times in a row. Awful ending to a pretty cool game, it honestly really soured my experience with the whole thing and looking back I thought the last couple areas were pretty obnoxious too. Apparently the second game if even harder? Not sure if I should even bother downloading it now if I just have more of that to look forward to.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Little thing dragging down Steam: I have Early Access games excluded from my Steam Store so that I don't have to wade through the stuff that's not finished while looking for games to play on the weekend. Now Steam is recommending games that are called "Game Name: Prologue" which are just demos (with separate store pages) for early access games. :argh:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bawk posted:

Little thing dragging down Steam: I have Early Access games excluded from my Steam Store so that I don't have to wade through the stuff that's not finished while looking for games to play on the weekend. Now Steam is recommending games that are called "Game Name: Prologue" which are just demos (with separate store pages) for early access games. :argh:

Yeah I excluded Early Access too, but still get them in recommended/similar to games you play or 'trending among friends'

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

bawk posted:

I discovered that If you set enough games to ignore it completely breaks the store page, somewhere around the 2000 mark did it for me.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The Guardians of the Galaxy game is a perfectly fun game that's worth at least a couple of playthroughs and captures the tone of the characters and their interactions notably well, but gently caress me the enemy choice for the first few combats is just baffling.

First things you beat on are these weird spherical alien orb-thingies. Okay, sure fine.

Then the next enemy that you encounter for a while are essentially gelatinous cubes.

It really undersells everything in the game that once you're done beating up on geometric shapes you have a new type of geometric shape to beat up on, and makes game seem lovely in a uniquely low-budget way during the first encounters. Definitely not putting its best foot forward.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alan Wake 2 keeps crashing on me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
More like oldcrashless

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Randalor posted:

Dying Light: The game's tutorial to nighttime can gently caress right off. It would be one thing if the game had you start off far from a safe house and gave tutorial messages saying "Hey, there's super zombies at night, they will gently caress you up if you're seen, here's the tools to detect them, try not to die" and you have to sneak/parkour back to safety. Instead, it starts you off with the super zombies already coming for you so you have to run, and proceeds to have even more rushing out of alleys and bursting from the back of vans while you're trying to figure out where to go because it's still the middle of the loving night, all while still throwing up tutorial messages that you can't read, because there's still a pack of super zombies right behind you.

It's a game that I come back to every couple of years, play for a bit, then run into the night time tutorial and that can gently caress right off.

I was playing this with a few buddies because they told me how the gameplay was decent and the writing was laughably bad (accurate). When I fired it up I had a wildly different starting experience from them. Some in-game event had started that I was not aware of and I was trying to do tutorials while fast zombies were screaming and chasing me while dudes with guns were shooting at me.

The in-game event also had moon gravity and since I had never played the game before I thought this was normal. It was almost impossible to do the most basic parts of the tutorials since the zombies were the super keyed up ones that are very sensivite to sound. I was describing my problems and already had guns super early and my friends thought I was crazy until they figured out what happened. This was on by default!

Ultimately we stopped playing when we got to the next area because it was just so boring. The grappling hook really trivializes the entire game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That sucks, because the opening of Dying Light is pretty good (ignoring the first night). You're weak and have to scrounge and use your parkour to survive. Two guys can entirely wreck your poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dying Light was fun until I reached the point where the multiplayer parts come into play, and then people joined my game and just dropped impossibly powerful gear at my feat. I felt like, oh I guess this is part of the game? But now nothing can kill me, I annihilate everything, I feel like maybe I owe a debt to this online rando...?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

credburn posted:

Dying Light was fun until I reached the point where the multiplayer parts come into play, and then people joined my game and just dropped impossibly powerful gear at my feat. I felt like, oh I guess this is part of the game? But now nothing can kill me, I annihilate everything, I feel like maybe I owe a debt to this online rando...?

could've turned off randos joining... like the first sane thing to do for any games with this mechanic.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Debunk This! posted:

Just had to delete plague tale requiem after dying to the last boss 10+ times in a row. Awful ending to a pretty cool game, it honestly really soured my experience with the whole thing and looking back I thought the last couple areas were pretty obnoxious too. Apparently the second game if even harder? Not sure if I should even bother downloading it now if I just have more of that to look forward to.

Plague tale requiem is the second game. Innocence was the first one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The new Prince of Persia has a decent map overall, but it still does something I've seen countless games do.

It has icons that it DOES NOT LIST in the "Legend."

I'd understand if it was, like, a "goal" or if I picked up a widget that said "go investigate this room, there's another widget for you" and it was a new icon that you then discovered. But these are rooms I've already been in with icons.

At least for some of them I figured it out. There are "hidden chests" in some rooms where you need to figure out the task to make the chest appear. Icons appear in the room after you get the chest. Which almost seems backwards to me...it should appear when you discover the room, and then disappear once you collect the chest, no? So you can track it better?

But I'm pretty sure there's still icons that aren't in the legend and aren't just chests.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Far Cry 5: Could you PLEASE give me a minute after I clear an outpost to grab the sniper rifle before you go "Outpost cleared, hooray!", or at the very least, NOT despawn every weapon when you do? I've had to rely on the compound bow as my main long-range stealth weapon for awhile because the game charges an arm and a leg for every weapon. I have a silenced machine gun before I have a sniper rifle because of the stupid weapons despawn on cleared outposts.

Also, that everything is locked behind perks. Bigger ammo, better takedown, faster ally recovery time, more weapon slots? Fine, those make sense. Grapple and parachute? Come the gently caress on.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

DrBouvenstein posted:

The new Prince of Persia has a decent map overall, but it still does something I've seen countless games do.

I'd understand if it was, like, a "goal" or if I picked up a widget that said "go investigate this room, there's another widget for you" and it was a new icon that you then discovered. But these are rooms I've already been in with icons.

At least for some of them I figured it out. There are "hidden chests" in some rooms where you need to figure out the task to make the chest appear. Icons appear in the room after you get the chest. Which almost seems backwards to me...it should appear when you discover the room, and then disappear once you collect the chest, no? So you can track it better?

But I'm pretty sure there's still icons that aren't in the legend and aren't just chests.

I really wish more game studios would do a pass with an actual cartographer because there are some egregiously amateur maps in very expensive games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not necessarily. There is value in having the game track what you've completed rather than things to complete. It could track both of course, but I've played games (including from Ubisoft) where that makes for map clutter and icons that are hard to differentiate from each other at a glance.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Randalor posted:

Far Cry 5: Could you PLEASE give me a minute after I clear an outpost to grab the sniper rifle before you go "Outpost cleared, hooray!", or at the very least, NOT despawn every weapon when you do? I've had to rely on the compound bow as my main long-range stealth weapon for awhile because the game charges an arm and a leg for every weapon. I have a silenced machine gun before I have a sniper rifle because of the stupid weapons despawn on cleared outposts.

6 did this to me the other day, I cleared a road block and then just as the "cleared" banner came up, I noticed the tank just sitting there for the taking, which of course despawned right after

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There is a specific reason it shows an icon over those empty chests later in the game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm playing Obenseuer, a survival game set in an urban environment, so you spend a lot of time in dingy alleyways and basements scrounging for materials and resources.

Something really dragging this game down is the game makes zero distinction between items you can interact with and ones you can't. Example is wood planks, which you need as a building material. There are planks all over the place because it's a rundown area of the city, but you some are just decorative and some aren't. You just kinda have to mouse over and inspect every little piece of debris to see if you can loot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm on a mission that requires it to be nighttime in Far Cry 6, but they didn't put in a way to force the day/night cycle so I have to sit here waiting for apparently up to 20 minutes. What a bone head lack of a feature