Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Library of Ruina is actually a story about Iori manipulating everyone involved to create the exact world that we wind up with, because when you get down to it everything that wasn't Carmen's fault was 100% hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TeeQueue posted:

Library of Ruina is actually a story about Iori manipulating everyone involved to create the exact world that we wind up with, because when you get down to it everything that wasn't Carmen's fault was 100% hers.

Which begs the question of just what her endgame is.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

TeeQueue posted:

The implication from LoR that Iori got her powers from being snatched up and experimented on when she was young is so funny(?) to me because goddamn, has she milked that to the fullest and made it everyone else's problem.

EDIT: Like between her and Argalia and god knows who else it's just kind of causing a lot of problems.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 3, 2024

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Quackles posted:

Which begs the question of just what her endgame is.
She's going to meet her son again. You know, the one that died 40 years ago. Everything else is secondary. She will let other people's kids get slaughtered to achieve this because she's the one with the dimension hopping powers, not them.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PetraCore posted:

She's going to meet her son again. You know, the one that died 40 years ago. Everything else is secondary. She will let other people's kids get slaughtered to achieve this because she's the one with the dimension hopping powers, not them.

Couldn't she just... [points at Yi Sang's mirror or the doors in Mephistophiles somewhat flailingly]?

Or jump to a dimension where her son is alive?

Seems simpler.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The simplest explanation that also fits with her own explanation that her power isn't as abusable as anyone thinks it is makes me think that while moving through physical space is achievable without too much effort, she can't stay in an alternate dimension beyond a certain time period, and she wants a more permanent solution than visiting in every now and again like a divorced parent with weekend custody.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That sounds like a Faust problem...

....oh.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Quackles posted:

does this mean we're going to have to fight Distorted Vergilius at some point?

Or worse— Effloresced Vergilius.

Well, he did manifest EGO in Leviathan while fighting Schadenfreude - some sort of crazy blood symbiote cloak thing that could form weapons but needed blood to function.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

At the same time, Iori is also the reason Angela and Roland got a "happy" ending in LoR, since her plan involved freeing all booked guests including herself, and otherwise either Angela becomes just Another hosed Up Thing In The City or Roland murders Angela and dies. So technically her plan involved both problems but also solutions, unlike Argalia who just made everything Worse.

Still wondering what's her deal with wanting Dante dead at the Prelude by sending her animals to kill him.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Still wondering what's her deal with wanting Dante dead at the Prelude by sending her animals to kill him.

Well, Dante was probably an orphan, soooo.... :shrug:

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I win RR3 Chicken.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

The simplest explanation that also fits with her own explanation that her power isn't as abusable as anyone thinks it is makes me think that while moving through physical space is achievable without too much effort, she can't stay in an alternate dimension beyond a certain time period, and she wants a more permanent solution than visiting in every now and again like a divorced parent with weekend custody.

According to her ruina page:

quote:

I made it sound grandiose, but this power isn’t almighty by any means, so I try not to use it carelessly. Not that I expect you to care for such details. It’s already complicated enough as it is, isn’t it? Just know that this power isn’t omnipotent. No power is conveniently given to you in this world, after all; there’s always a price you need to pay, and there is a world I yearn to reach, no matter that price.

so yeah it very likely has some hard limitations and conditions on top of the messy butterfly effect of loving with time and space

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Making good progress on railway with 44 turns at second rest stop. The guide is well in progress.

It occurs to me that the two roadblocks of the first two 'legs' of the railway, Gossypium and Moth, are both about :

[1] managing stacks of an adverse status on your sinners
[2] reading comprehension on when attacks will gain clash power, in defiance of the prediction window.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

e.: n/m

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 4, 2024

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'll certainly be interested in the guide when it comes out!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I finished Leviathan and it's really good. I know the artist of the comic portions burned out because it was the first time he'd actually worked on a comic, much less one with regular deadlines, but I think it's important to acknowledge that the work he did is pretty stunning, especially with some of the more surreal scenes. On a more lore-focused note, it's really interesting to me that in Carmen's conversation with Vergilius, she mentions that Ayin is just hanging out in the Light too nagging her about this Distortion thing being a bad idea and people need EGO, Carmen, they need EGO, they need tools they can use with their human shapes and focus outwards instead of only thinking about themselves. Shocked to agree with Ayin on anything.

It was also interesting to me that when Vergilius collapsed a Distortion by destroying his reason to exist, instead of reverting to human an Abnormality formed and destroyed him from the inside out. Seems, uh, significantly less safe than doing it the Hell's Kitchen or Distortion Detective way! But I think that's the only time we've seen something like that happen so far, so like. Does that just happen? That's just a thing that can happen, I guess?

Another thing that surprised me is that Faust's promise to Vergilius was actually to restore Lapis and Garnet. I guess the thing that happens to Garnet doesn't count as fully killing him, but jesus, I wonder what her plan is to restore someone who was subjected to refractions of the Glass Window dozens of times, successfully kept a hold of his determination enough to ride that splintering and keep calling on different IDs to fight, and then collapsed into a crystalized cocoon when he thought there was nobody left to save, but had his cocoon shattered by an Abnormality before he could either be consumed by sin and hatch into a Peccatulum like the other orphanage kids or emerge as an EGO user, if I understood Carmen's implications correctly. Like, Garnet's still, around, because his consciousness ended up in one of the shattered pieces of his cocoon that Charon noticed and picked up, but that's an even more complicated series of twists and distortions to try and undo than Lapis being subjected to the same pressure of refraction and getting stuck in one of her myriad mirror IDs.

EDIT: Sitting here wondering if Charon keeps Garnet in her room or if he's just chilling out in a pocket when she drives the bus. Christ.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 4, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There's been a theory that Mephistopheles IS Garnet, or at least the heart of Mephistopheles is.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

There's been a theory that Mephistopheles IS Garnet, or at least the heart of Mephistopheles is.
That'd make sense, but then Faust would still have to reverse that somehow. I guess it makes sense to get some use out of Garnet in the meantime, especially since I imagine Faust would need to study him to work on a way to restore him, but, man. I trusted the wiki to be accurate when they said Garnet was deceased and that is not the case.

Do we ever learn what happens to Denver? The wiki also lists her as deceased but I don't think that ever happens in Leviathan, she's just hosed up her mind with drugs as part of her infiltration role and needed to use some cleaning thing to fully recover. Even when everything goes tits-up, she's mostly doomed by the fact the Ring lab ended up being in N Corp and thus her seeing the video meant she broke a taboo, right? But we don't actually get confirmation she got got unlike with the member of Vergilius' office that was acting as the operation coordinator.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

PetraCore posted:

I finished Leviathan and it's really good. I know the artist of the comic portions burned out because it was the first time he'd actually worked on a comic, much less one with regular deadlines, but I think it's important to acknowledge that the work he did is pretty stunning, especially with some of the more surreal scenes. On a more lore-focused note, it's really interesting to me that in Carmen's conversation with Vergilius, she mentions that Ayin is just hanging out in the Light too nagging her about this Distortion thing being a bad idea and people need EGO, Carmen, they need EGO, they need tools they can use with their human shapes and focus outwards instead of only thinking about themselves. Shocked to agree with Ayin on anything.

It was also interesting to me that when Vergilius collapsed a Distortion by destroying his reason to exist, instead of reverting to human an Abnormality formed and destroyed him from the inside out. Seems, uh, significantly less safe than doing it the Hell's Kitchen or Distortion Detective way! But I think that's the only time we've seen something like that happen so far, so like. Does that just happen? That's just a thing that can happen, I guess?

Another thing that surprised me is that Faust's promise to Vergilius was actually to restore Lapis and Garnet. I guess the thing that happens to Garnet doesn't count as fully killing him, but jesus, I wonder what her plan is to restore someone who was subjected to refractions of the Glass Window dozens of times, successfully kept a hold of his determination enough to ride that splintering and keep calling on different IDs to fight, and then collapsed into a crystalized cocoon when he thought there was nobody left to save, but had his cocoon shattered by an Abnormality before he could either be consumed by sin and hatch into a Peccatulum like the other orphanage kids or emerge as an EGO user, if I understood Carmen's implications correctly. Like, Garnet's still, around, because his consciousness ended up in one of the shattered pieces of his cocoon that Charon noticed and picked up, but that's an even more complicated series of twists and distortions to try and undo than Lapis being subjected to the same pressure of refraction and getting stuck in one of her myriad mirror IDs.

EDIT: Sitting here wondering if Charon keeps Garnet in her room or if he's just chilling out in a pocket when she drives the bus. Christ.
Leviathan and the potential future of Limbus: What Garnet did with rapidly switching between Identities makes me think we'll eventually get the ability to mix and match skills between IDs we own. Like giving Spicebrush's S3 to Deici Yi Sang, for instance.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GilliamYaeger posted:

Leviathan and the potential future of Limbus: What Garnet did with rapidly switching between Identities makes me think we'll eventually get the ability to mix and match skills between IDs we own. Like giving Spicebrush's S3 to Deici Yi Sang, for instance.
The funniest part of that sequence was one of his IDs being some stressed out guy in a context entirely remove from the City that was about to get flattened by an airplane and Garnet just like. Not loving touching that with a 10 foot pole. Too confusing, absolutely useless in combat, about to die by plane. Bad all around. Time to be Rolarnet instead.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

this can very easily snowball into an insane mess(see FEH) so I hope not

PetraCore posted:

That'd make sense, but then Faust would still have to reverse that somehow. I guess it makes sense to get some use out of Garnet in the meantime, especially since I imagine Faust would need to study him to work on a way to restore him, but, man. I trusted the wiki to be accurate when they said Garnet was deceased and that is not the case.

Do we ever learn what happens to Denver? The wiki also lists her as deceased but I don't think that ever happens in Leviathan, she's just hosed up her mind with drugs as part of her infiltration role and needed to use some cleaning thing to fully recover. Even when everything goes tits-up, she's mostly doomed by the fact the Ring lab ended up being in N Corp and thus her seeing the video meant she broke a taboo, right? But we don't actually get confirmation she got got unlike with the member of Vergilius' office that was acting as the operation coordinator.

there's nothing really backing up the garnet-as-meph theory beyond random spitballing so i'd take it with a grain of salt

i mean it is possible but it also doesn't quite fit so who the hell knows

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Given that Ayin and Carmen are both in the light, Dante has been memory wiped, Angela and Benjamin have hosed off to Brazil, there is nobody relevant for the letters F, G, or H, and Iori has been loving around with everything to guarantee her own success, there's only one conclusion that makes any sense:

Mephistopheles is actually Tomerry, and we've been having Vergilius ride around in the harbinger of one of his many many traumas. When he finds out, the boss fight will be epic.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I maintain that making all the bosses passives and resists and other information all hidden by default is very dumb

Also, big thanks to whoever in this thread said you can redirect unclashable attacks with defense

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 4, 2024

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Yinlock posted:

this can very easily snowball into an insane mess(see FEH) so I hope not

I object to this statement. Not only is feh bullshit for reasons unrelated to inheritable skills, 95% of modern bullshit is uninheritable skills anyway (in fact, you'll often see people complain about the state of inheritable weapons that aren't arcanes, and arcanes are a very transparent moneygrab)

That said I don't think it'd necessarily be particularly useful to mix and match skills. presuming you can't just completely swap out every part of a kit to run twinhook gregor with a rodion skin, kits are generally synergistic and it would be relatively rare to find skills that you actually want to replace on a lot of ids

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

RE: Multi-I.D.'s
I don't think it'll be a complete free-for-all, when/if it happens. Something like:
-two support/active passives at once
-can swap out a coin or two for one(s) of equal slot(s) belonging to the second I.D.
-restricted to only other I.D.'s of that sinner
-only enabled for I.D.'s of X Uptie (both for enabling that I.D. to have a secondary I.D., and for selecting it as a secondary I.D.)

so mostly useful for if, say, someone has two Poise I.D.'s that they can main one and get some extra benefit out of the others kit. Or to do a weird pure Envy/Pride/What-Have-You setup.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
And knowing PM, even it would work in the first place, they would patch a bunch of thing to render it more balanced after like 2 weeks before giving the playerbase 300 lunacy.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TeeQueue posted:

Given that Ayin and Carmen are both in the light, Dante has been memory wiped, Angela and Benjamin have hosed off to Brazil, there is nobody relevant for the letters F, G, or H, and Iori has been loving around with everything to guarantee her own success, there's only one conclusion that makes any sense:

Mephistopheles is actually Tomerry, and we've been having Vergilius ride around in the harbinger of one of his many many traumas. When he finds out, the boss fight will be epic.

:hmmyes:

Vergilius would be a hosed up boss to fight because his EGO is powered by shed blood and the Sinners get revived if they die so he'd just keep slitting throats and farming blood and then using that blood to kick our poo poo in, I think.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Any tips on the moth and what sinners to bring. Feel like I'm not understanding something.

More and more i'm finding that the bosses bring out a big AOE, and I'm losing the clash.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DropTheAnvil posted:

Any tips on the moth and what sinners to bring. Feel like I'm not understanding something.

More and more i'm finding that the bosses bring out a big AOE, and I'm losing the clash.

The short version: Ardor Blossom Moth is about keeping as much Burn off of yourself as you can.

• If any attack hits you, it will inflict Burn and heal the moth. Don't get hit.
• If you clash Spark [the attack], you will be hit with Burn Count (via [On Use]) even if you win. Let someone with low amounts of Burn clash with this.
• If you get hit by Spark [the attack] and have enough Shimmering Ember, it turns into Spark [the status]. This spreads your Burn to your adjacent party members. Seriously. Don't get hit.
• Dust Explosion gains Clash Power if you have 7+ Burn when it goes off. Ardor Blossom Star inflicts Burn (via [On Use]) when someone Clashes it, regardless of who wins the clash. Even if you don't have 7+ Burn now, be sure to check that you won't have 7+ Burn then when you go clash it - it can throw off the prediction pretty hard.

And, most critically:

The moth uses Ardor Blossom Star every 3 turns. Its attacks build up Ember, which boosts Ardor Blossom Star's Clash Power to levels where you risk not being able to beat it. Breaking the wings will remove all the moth's Ember, so you want to break the wings the turn before it uses ABS. It will reignite/regenerate its wings two turns after you break them, so use the opportunity to deal lots of damage while you can.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 5, 2024

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

so how about PM loving up the AI of some of the bosses huh

that's the toughest dog fight ive had in a while - ended with heath on 4 hp and everyone else at 0.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dog?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DropTheAnvil posted:

quackles' post sums up it's mechanics well, basic gameplan: have slash IDs target the wings and everyone else running damage control(with the occasional potshot at the wings too if they can afford it), don't let too many attacks through as the burn snowballs very very quickly, and unload on the wings once they're busted(but once again being mindful of attacks)

there's a rest stop right after that fight too so you can afford a couple losses and don't have to burn all your resources

e: also p. much all of the boss' offense damage-wise comes from burn so keep watch for who's gonna get staggered between turns. it'll very likely happen to everyone individually at some point or other

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 5, 2024

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

alleyway watchdog

turn 3 does the -20 sp shield and the aoe at the same time

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DuoRogue posted:

alleyway watchdog

turn 3 does the -20 sp shield and the aoe at the same time

Are you playing the Luxcavation stages?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

capmael, gives a shitton of buffs and has a chance to throw assist attack(free unopposed s1 use) on someone during resonance. her passive is ridiculously strong but also way too specific, requiring someone to kill the enemy she's targeting right after she attacks it, which as usual isn't going to happen on purpose most of the time.

also for some reason she's a burn unit too

e: hilariously there's 3 teams that want her. she finishes the whole envy a.res bleed team and burn needs any good IDs they can get. the non-envy poise team is really heavy on pride a.res and as such can make good use of her s2

e: oh wait i forgot she also has one of the only good burn ids, nevermind 2 teams then

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 5, 2024

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I can't wait to put her in my bleed team :unsmigghh:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Yinlock posted:

Honestly, I think the entire reason she has Overheated Gas Harpoon (Edit: and also incidental burn on the last hit of her second and third attacks) is because the best Envy-resonance EGO gift applies bonus burn on every envy or burn-applying attack.

(Well, that and she's the big Season 3 headliner and you want her to look cool.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 5, 2024

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

Yinlock posted:

capmael, gives a shitton of buffs and has a chance to throw assist attack(free unopposed s1 use) on someone during resonance. her passive is ridiculously strong but also way too specific, requiring someone to kill the enemy she's targeting right after she attacks it, which as usual isn't going to happen on purpose most of the time.

e: hilariously there's 3 teams that want her. she finishes the whole envy a.res bleed team and burn needs any good IDs they can get. the non-envy poise team is really heavy on pride a.res and as such can make good use of her s2

e: oh wait i forgot she also has one of the only good burn ids, nevermind 2 teams then

best resonance-based team I cooked up (since full reso team uses bad units) was obviously both pequod users and middle don , but also w ryoshu and rosespanner rodion. lack of pride disqualified meur, everyone on this team has both pride and envy.
Main weakness is the total lack of wrath to boost the sp targeting of her s3 unless she goes first or last since it doesnt itself need to be a part of the a-res chain but will break it. if it goes on the ends thats a full party sp heal if it procs.

typical a-res with this team will be 5 pride, which means assist attack will have a good proc rate (presumably its balanced around 2~3 res), and get a lot of damage up and pride power up as long as that power up isnt at 6+. As good as w ryoshu S1 is, its lust, you'll probably want pequod heath (2 coins, gets 4 poise count, 5 aggro, and inflicts 2 bleed) as your assist attacker, but pequod isang (2 coins, 2 poise count, 1 bind, 2 bleed) and rosespanner rodion (4 charge count and +1/+1 tremor) arent bad either. While good envy a-res is possible two of those envy skills are skill 3s so it wont be as common, that said getting at least 3 envy res shouldnt be too hard

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yinlock posted:

Not that it matters since you only need 5 out of 6 members to be poise users, but funnily enough, I believe she would in fact not count as a poise user for the md poise gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legend of Ruina
Sep 29, 2021

Marluxia posted:

Not that it matters since you only need 5 out of 6 members to be poise users, but funnily enough, I believe she would in fact not count as a poise user for the md poise gift.
Pretty sure Harpoon of Obsession counts. Even if it is only on kill and usually to other people.