Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can I change my answer to DarkSydePhil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

credburn posted:

How many famous YouTubers can anyone even name?

Mr Beast

That Swedish racist who used to scream all the time

That girl who did that Friday song which I don't care is a fuckin banger you guys are haters

i don't know if she's famous but there's a lady who does ASMR videos in which you (the viewer) are a medieval plague victim. she's cool.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mystes posted:

Aside from lowtax are these all people who made bad youtube apology videos?

Only some of them have apologised.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My name is OK No

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Techmoan
Technology Connections
LGR

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Famous is a difficult definition. What's famous enough? Do you mean so famous that most young adults in the western world would recognize them? Or that most people in some niche would recognize them?

You can be a superstar in the Dwarf Fortress niche, but I could not probably find anyone who knew your name if I kept asking people on the street.

You can also be the most famous youtuber in Finland, but not be counted as even a blip globally.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is it possible to watch every episode of old wcw or wwf? peacock seems to have some select wwf episodes from the 80s, but i'm not after that. i'd just want to watch each and every nitro and thunder, in order. and for wwf, eacn and every raw and smackdown, in order. plus the ppv.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Hydraulic Press Channel

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

abelwingnut posted:

is it possible to watch every episode of old wcw or wwf?
Even if they're all available somewhere, probably not. Unless you're in some sort of groundhog day scenario and therefore have unlimited time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mystes posted:

Aside from lowtax are these all people who made bad youtube apology videos?

they are
  • pedophile
  • racist
  • hbomberguy plagiarism video guy
  • serial scammer, covid truther, rapist, pedo. im surprised there was no racism actually maybe it's just not on wikipedia
  • racist and rapist
  • lowtax
  • racist
  • racist pedo
  • racist
  • racist

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
One of my best friends at work speaks very poor English and even though I've known him for years I struggle to parse what he's saying at times. Today he seemed to be telling me about a lamp that senses what people are feeling and changes color accordingly. He bought it off of Temu. Does that really exist somehow??

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 4, 2024

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm sure he bought a lamp that claims that, yes. As for how that works? I'm pretty sure it's as effective as a mood ring.

In this LP I'm watching, there was a three megawatt flare of energy from a blackhole; what the hell does that actually mean?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

We were talking about returnless refunds and he said he bought this magic lamp off Temu and it didn't work, so they sent him a replacement, and it turned out he was just using the first one wrong so he ended up with two for the price of one. He was talking about putting it in his entryway so it would change colors based on the mood of incoming guests. He was very specific and, again, he's a friend of mine so I didn't challenge him on any of his facts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Leave posted:

I'm sure he bought a lamp that claims that, yes. As for how that works? I'm pretty sure it's as effective as a mood ring.

In this LP I'm watching, there was a three megawatt flare of energy from a blackhole; what the hell does that actually mean?

Here's the thing: is there even a lamp that claims that??

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leave posted:

It means a blast of lots of short-wavelength (and therefore high-energy) photons. A photon's energy is determined by its wavelength and the Planck constant, which is a very small number.

For a sense of scale, the Sun's light produces about 1 kilowatt per square meter on Earth. So this black hole blast, if focused into a square meter, would be about 3000 times more powerful than a sunny day.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Here's the thing: is there even a lamp that claims that??
Item descriptions on temu and aliexpress tend to be random gibberish, so who knows? Why don't you ask your friend to send you a link?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
There are lamps that you can change the color and brightness of according to your mood, which might be labeled "mood lamp", but no, there is no such thing as a lamp that can sense a person's mood as they walk into the room.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It seems plausible, there are LLMs and computer vision models that try to gauge sentiment analysis based on word choice, tone, and facial expressions. Changing a light color based on that output would be trivial relatively, but given the source it's way more likely it's just random or based on arbitrary factors.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It means a blast of lots of short-wavelength (and therefore high-energy) photons. A photon's energy is determined by its wavelength and the Planck constant, which is a very small number.

For a sense of scale, the Sun's light produces about 1 kilowatt per square meter on Earth. So this black hole blast, if focused into a square meter, would be about 3000 times more powerful than a sunny day.

The black hole fired off a Hadoken, got it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It seems plausible, there are LLMs and computer vision models that try to gauge sentiment analysis based on word choice, tone, and facial expressions. Changing a light color based on that output would be trivial relatively, but given the source it's way more likely it's just random or based on arbitrary factors.

See I was hoping it was this possibly combined with the mood ring nonsense and I wanted to buy one of these lamps if they existed but probably he was just telling me that he bought some RGB thing that he adjusts based on the mood

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

it could also just be something really simple like detecting your body temperature or how much you are moving around and deciding your "mood" based on that.

but yes most likely it's just changing colors at random and using human gullibility to fill in the rest.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Maybe it just has a microphone and when it hears someone yelling and cursing it changes color.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they are
  • pedophile
  • racist
  • hbomberguy plagiarism video guy
  • serial scammer, covid truther, rapist, pedo. im surprised there was no racism actually maybe it's just not on wikipedia
  • racist and rapist
  • lowtax
  • racist
  • racist pedo
  • racist
  • racist

Personally, I choose to subscribe to less problematic YouTubers, but hey, not going to shame you based on the content you like.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why is LinkedIn particularly bad when it comes to spam posts and replies? Reporting anything doesn't even seem to work because the mods always side with the spammers.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

two fish posted:

Why is LinkedIn particularly bad when it comes to spam posts and replies? Reporting anything doesn't even seem to work because the mods always side with the spammers.

spam makes them money, op

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

spam makes them money, op

And the only ones who use LinkedIn voluntarily are self-promoting weirdos indistinguishable from spam.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Do we have an Insurance Questions megathread?

I am trying to understand the process for a typical dental insurance claim. I had an appointment. Their office said my insurance was out of network and I needed to pay the whole fee up front. After I paid, they submitted a claim on my behalf.

My claim was processed and insurance says I only owe $40 total for the visit. Who pays me back the difference, the insurance or the dental office?

*I'm going to contact both parties tomorrow when offices open, just trying to better understand what process I should follow typically for a dental appt with insurance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hughmoris posted:

*I'm going to contact both parties tomorrow when offices open, just trying to better understand what process I should follow typically for a dental appt with insurance.

I'd definitely say you should talk to your dentist about what's going on.

In my case, I pay my dentist and then a couple of weeks later I get a check from my insurance. Your mileage may, but probably won't, vary. Just ask so you can be reassured now, instead of waiting for the check to show up.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
You paid the dental office so they should reimburse you. I had this happen a couple weeks ago. They said they’d just refund it through the credit card

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Hughmoris posted:

Do we have an Insurance Questions megathread?

I am trying to understand the process for a typical dental insurance claim. I had an appointment. Their office said my insurance was out of network and I needed to pay the whole fee up front. After I paid, they submitted a claim on my behalf.

My claim was processed and insurance says I only owe $40 total for the visit. Who pays me back the difference, the insurance or the dental office?

You're most likely not going to get as much money back as you think based off your EOB because of the key phrase I bolded in your original post. Your dental insurance has a maximum fee that they base their percentage calculations on. That is, if they say they'll cover 80% of the cost of a filling, it's not 80% of an unlimited number, but 80% of what your insurance thinks the filling should cost (usually, it's set at whatever rate they have their in-network dentists take). An out-of-network dentist is not obligated to accept this maximum rate that your insurance sets and can charge you at their own rate.

The only reason you would get money back from the dental office is if the insurance company also sends their check to the dental office and not you. In which case, the dental office owes you whatever the insurance companies paid them provided you paid their fee in full at your visit. If the insurance company mails you the check for your claim directly, then I wouldn't expect to get anything back from the dental office.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mllaneza posted:

I'd definitely say you should talk to your dentist about what's going on.

In my case, I pay my dentist and then a couple of weeks later I get a check from my insurance. Your mileage may, but probably won't, vary. Just ask so you can be reassured now, instead of waiting for the check to show up.

Hotel Kpro posted:

You paid the dental office so they should reimburse you. I had this happen a couple weeks ago. They said they’d just refund it through the credit card

Thanks!

Ancillary Character posted:

You're most likely not going to get as much money back as you think based off your EOB because of the key phrase I bolded in your original post. Your dental insurance has a maximum fee that they base their percentage calculations on. That is, if they say they'll cover 80% of the cost of a filling, it's not 80% of an unlimited number, but 80% of what your insurance thinks the filling should cost (usually, it's set at whatever rate they have their in-network dentists take). An out-of-network dentist is not obligated to accept this maximum rate that your insurance sets and can charge you at their own rate.

The only reason you would get money back from the dental office is if the insurance company also sends their check to the dental office and not you. In which case, the dental office owes you whatever the insurance companies paid them provided you paid their fee in full at your visit. If the insurance company mails you the check for your claim directly, then I wouldn't expect to get anything back from the dental office.

This makes sense. I wasn't planning on receiving any sort of reimbursement because they were out-of-network, so anything back is a plus. It'll likely end up being about half the cost. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I ordered an item from Etsy last month. Somehow, Etsy had two nearly-identical addresses on file - one correct, and one (the default, of course) with the last two digits of the zip code transposed. This has led to the package being misdelivered several times. The shipper has updated the information with DHL, but I don't know if that's translated to the USPS. I'm thinking about going to the post office to see if they can correct the problem. If I do, will I need to go to the post office closest to where the package is, or can I go to my closest office?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have an incredibly stupid and also obscure question that I just thought of because my brain is dumb.

Waaaaaaaaaay back in the 90s, there were these commercials on all the time for these home magic kits. I want to say they were called Magic Works, or something similar. They usually started with a teacher saying some basic physics fact, and then a smug kid going "Well actually" and doing the magic trick and blowing everyone's minds.

I distinctly remember one of them. The teacher starts with "Metal cannot penetrate metal" and proceeds to demonstrate by banging a metal rod into a metal square. Obviously nothing much happens other than a clang sound.

Cue smug kid. The part I'm wondering about though is the first bit. For some reason, decades later, my brain decided to turn on its bullshit detector. Pretty sure you give a chunk of metal enough kinetic energy and it will happily blast through another piece of metal. Take for example I dunno BULLETS?!

So wtf was the guy on about or am I just thinking way too much about a stupid commercial I saw 30 years go goddamn it I'm old. gently caress. :psyduck:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

am I just thinking way too much about a stupid commercial I saw 30 years go goddamn it I'm old. gently caress. :psyduck:

lol, yes you are and i remember that commercial too. that man was not an actual science teacher and "metal cannot penetrate metal" is not a thing, i have no idea why they made the teacher so mean about it too like you better toughen up kids because if you were expecting a leisurely life of penetrating metal with metal well get used to disappointment

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Silver Falcon posted:

So wtf was the guy on about or am I just thinking way too much about a stupid commercial I saw 30 years go goddamn it I'm old. gently caress. :psyduck:
I don't think I ever saw these, but my first Google hit for "metal cannot penetrate metal" commercial was a reddit post linking the commercial on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tyjIdX0qIk

The commercial shows that the trick is suggestive of a metal toothpick going throw a metal ring without cutting it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Earwicker posted:

and "metal cannot penetrate metal" is not a thing

I guarantee you there were kids who kept this trick at school, to be ready for the glorious day the teacher would finally give the "metal cannot penetrate metal" lesson...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

dirby posted:

I don't think I ever saw these, but my first Google hit for "metal cannot penetrate metal" commercial was a reddit post linking the commercial on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tyjIdX0qIk

The commercial shows that the trick is suggestive of a metal toothpick going throw a metal ring without cutting it.

Yes, that was it! Wild.

Metal toothpick going through a metal ring without cutting it, sure. That's weird and interesting. Weird that they went from that to "Metal cannot penetrate metal" clang. :geno:

Weird times.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

*bursting into a machine shop* METAL CANNOT PENETRATE METAL! you are all heretics *kicking a drill press over* forbidden!! *smashing a lathe* devilry!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i was a kid i was taught the exact opposite lesson by a door to door salesman who came around our neighborhood selling japanese kitchen knives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here's some music for you while you contemplate the riddle of steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKUYAnqxjU