Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Incredible. The internet outage in my neighborhood is NOT preventing me from playing game pass games. I’m playing Lies of P as i type this.

The Switch doesn’t even let you launch the snes library if there’s no internet connection.
IIRC Game Pass games want you to check in online at least once every 30 days, while Switch Online is supposed to want you to check in online at least once every seven days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulfCoastZilla
Feb 3, 2024
First time post here on SA, but wow what a weekend? I think this is the last gen I invest in Xbox as a eco system. I just read a “rumor” that COD may not even be coming to gamepass. If that’s the case I don’t know why I would bother staying.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Come on Cerny nobody is buying it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

JBP posted:

nobody is buying it.

call of duty that is!!!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

drat. Well, I guess Microsoft will just have to console themselves as you continue to stay invested in their ecosystem by playing one of Microsoft Gaming’s hottest franchises - Call of Duty - on your console of choice for $70 plus price of Battle Pass (tm).

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The Kins posted:

IIRC Game Pass games want you to check in online at least once every 30 days, while Switch Online is supposed to want you to check in online at least once every seven days.

Got it. Now to curate a apocalypse backlog of GP games that’ll take exactly 730 hours to finish

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

This is a genuine question, i’m not taking a dig at sony: Do any games actually use the ps5’s 3d audio or haptic controller features?

Definitely yes.

One really good example for the haptics is WRC 9, interestingly, which has a very strong trigger feel based on the surface of the road you're driving on, like you could have the TV off and still know from the trigger feel alone that you're driving on a gravel road. They'll also do things like "rattle" when you're firing a heavy machine gun in a game, or have some form of trigger resistance if you're, say, drawing a bow. Most games don't enable at least the more distracting features for competitive multiplayer, though.

And most games support the PS5's 3D audio features, I think almost all games that actually have a rotateable camera do. I think this is less about being an exclusive thing impossible to replicate on other consoles, and more about having a simple streamlined way for games to be able to do it without having to license something separately from Dolby or reinvent the wheel (the haptics offer similar simple methods of being leveraged so it's pretty simple for games to implement support for it very quickly).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GulfCoastZilla posted:

First time post here on SA, but wow what a weekend? I think this is the last gen I invest in Xbox as a eco system. I just read a “rumor” that COD may not even be coming to gamepass. If that’s the case I don’t know why I would bother staying.

I mean why would it when COD still sells an insane number of $70 copies to people who are subbed to Game Pass?

"Hey, you know what would be a good return on investment for our $69 billion acquisition? If that thing that was sold for $70 is now instead offered for $0. We'll make the $69 billion back in no time."

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

John F Bennett posted:

I love playing a bit of Vampire Survivors now and then, but I can't get into Brotato. I think it's because of the small map, there are no secrets to discover and every playthrough is a bit samey.

The enemies being an assortment of grey blobs doesn't help. I do appreciate the bite sized levels, having to dedicate a half hour to every run got old in VS.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

I love playing a bit of Vampire Survivors now and then, but I can't get into Brotato. I think it's because of the small map, there are no secrets to discover and every playthrough is a bit samey.

also has a very limited, and very brown, colour palette :itwaspoo:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

univbee posted:

Definitely yes.

One really good example for the haptics is WRC 9, interestingly, which has a very strong trigger feel based on the surface of the road you're driving on, like you could have the TV off and still know from the trigger feel alone that you're driving on a gravel road.

Astro aside, WRC9 is by far the best showcase of the DualSense I've ever experienced. That road feel or the subtle resistance and click as your brakes fight against the terrain is absolutely fantastic.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

univbee posted:

And most games support the PS5's 3D audio features, I think almost all games that actually have a rotateable camera do.
They don't need to specifically support it, if they output surround, it'll get virtualized, which extends to PS4 games. Xbox One (+later models) and PS5 work the same way in that regard

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

90sgamer posted:

Spencer quickly promoted a black woman to his previous position and is going to have her come out and address the new strategy so she can take the heat for it from gamers

That is 100% what Microsoft is doing. The ol' Glass Cliff--a classic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

That is 100% what Microsoft is doing. The ol' Glass Cliff--a classic.

I remember Microsoft doing that kinda move with Windows Phone before killing it definately

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GulfCoastZilla posted:

thanks, epic rereg guy

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

hi first post on something awful dot com xbox, right? sheesh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Guillermus posted:

I remember Microsoft doing that kinda move with Windows Phone before killing it definately

Windows Phone Ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still kind of miss mine. It was $40, worked as a 4G hotspot and had a web browser.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Windows Phone 7 rocked hardcore. Fired one up not that long ago to get some files off an old phone and poo poo still felt slick and modern.

Those cheap Nokia phones also spoiled me for cameras (for a while at least). They were pretty good even on the cheap models.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Supposedly, there's an official announcement expected in the next hours.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Windows Phone was the only phone to tempt me away from iPhone since the iPhone released. I thought it was cool as poo poo.

Perhaps running straight back to iPhone and, at the time of writing, never leaving again also says a lot about that venture

John F Bennett posted:

Supposedly, there's an official announcement expected in the next hours.

There has to be, right?

This feels like one of the biggest industry news freight trains in a while and they have to say something about it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I visited Microsoft and Microsoft Adjacent groups for work back when Windows phones were around and most people didn't want to use them who worked there. They were told they couldn't keep their other brands on their desks for example. lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's been a bit odd, and also very silly, watching people online talking about how some Xbox exclusive going multiplat is the Biggest And Most Grandiose Defeat in one breath, before using the next breath to ask when Bloodborne's going to stop being a console exclusive already.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Kins posted:

It's been a bit odd, and also very silly, watching people online talking about how some Xbox exclusive going multiplat is the Biggest And Most Grandiose Defeat in one breath, before using the next breath to ask when Bloodborne's going to stop being a console exclusive already.

Is that what this whole thing is about? It seems like this is more than a title or two going multiplat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shammypants posted:

Is that what this whole thing is about? It seems like this is more than a title or two going multiplat.
From what I'm reading it's like one game likely, 2-3 rumored. And that's on top of longtime multi-plat mainstays like Minecraft, Call of Duty and whatever Id Software game got remastered this year. Doesn't really seem due the intense reactions I'm seeing?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Kins posted:

From what I'm reading it's like one game likely, 2-3 rumored. And that's on top of longtime multi-plat mainstays like Minecraft, Call of Duty and whatever Id Software game got remastered this year. Doesn't really seem due the intense reactions I'm seeing?

The rumors as they stand is that xbox is on the ropes, gamepass is going to get less titles and more ads, and most titles previously seen as exclusive to microsoft services will be multiplat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shammypants posted:

The rumors as they stand is that xbox is on the ropes
Wasn't the post-Activision-merger games division announced as making more money than Windows the other day?

Shammypants posted:

and most titles previously seen as exclusive to microsoft services will be multiplat.
What's new? Pretty much everything's been on Steam for years.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Kins posted:

Wasn't the post-Activision-merger games division announced as making more money than Windows the other day?

What's new? Pretty much everything's been on Steam for years.

As in on Switch, Steamdeck and PS5. This is the current status of things as far as rumors go.

quote:

- Tim has heard that Call of Duty may not be coming to game pass.
- Hardware sales have not met the projected sales and the CFO got spooked.
- In the last three months of last year, they had consoles for $350 and no one cared.
- Xbox One was more wanted than Series consoles.
- They said the hardware is dead, and they are seeing declines in hardware year over year.
- Game pass is unsustainable; the market they have is not enough to offset the cost.
- Tim heard from someone at Microsoft that you may not like Xbox when they get Activision. They want ROI.
- He heard that Xbox has an insane showcase with tons of games, but everyone is going to be saying asterisks.
- The leaks happened because a Microsoft employee who didn't want this to happen leaked it, so there would be a public outcry.
- Microsoft now has no problem buying more companies in the future if all games go to all platforms.
- Tim thinks they will go all-digital, with ads on game pass (pre-roll or at the end of a chapter e.g. Like a Dragon) and AI community managers.

Add to this rumors about WoW to PS5 and even Steamdeck and older games like Sea of Thieves immediately going to other platforms.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
who is "Tim"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shammypants posted:

As in on Switch, Steamdeck and PS5.
A bunch of stuff is already on Switch and Playstation, and pretty much everything on Steam is on Steam Deck by definition.

Everything else in that post gives me serious fan-fiction vibes. "The leaks happened because a Microsoft employee who didn't want this to happen leaked it, so there would be a public outcry"? Fuckin' please.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

hatty posted:

who is "Tim"

https://x.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1754361009215541532?s=20

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

hatty posted:

who is "Tim"

It's this dude on Twitter who is always complaining about stuff.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
isnt that sloth guy the one that said Bloodborne was going to be on PC four years ago?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
If the ad rumor is true it's off to Steam for me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

let's check out this tim guy's twitter bio

quote:

chat GPT AI fan. I Identify as a screen.

ah yes seems like a reasonable and trustworthy dude

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Right now the rumors are reasonably supported across various insiders. We know xbox sales are bad and they are crushed in several regions. We know Gamepass was always a scheme to try to gain marketshare in the short term and it had no long term feasibility. Whether that means Microsoft is going to continue drowning after major acquisitions north of 100b is the driving force behind the rumors.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Love 2 spill thousands of words and build my entire world view based on what some guy named Tim on the Misinformation And Outrage Social Media Website said in 128 characters one afternoon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Respected inside source Tim "Dog" Cook from Epic Megagames

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

let's check out this tim guy's twitter bio

ah yes seems like a reasonable and trustworthy dude

He actually removed all references to Xbox in his bio after the news. Which makes it even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shammypants posted:

Right now the rumors are reasonably supported across various insiders. We know xbox sales are bad and they are crushed in several regions. We know Gamepass was always a scheme to try to gain marketshare in the short term and it had no long term feasibility. Whether that means Microsoft is going to continue drowning after major acquisitions north of 100b is the driving force behind the rumors.

i mean it all sounds very plausible, i just don't really buy it from this tim dude

i think one way or the other, this will be microsoft's last console hardware generation