Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Daaaaamm, Vreenak!

That would not be logical, Martin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
its a shame there was never a star trek version of incredible cross sections

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Siskó: Fong Song

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Non Compos Mentis posted:

For sure.

Some people theorize that the SW Incredible Cross Sections book was written, in part, to "win" the SW vs ST debate.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Aren't there a lot of cross-sections of the ships in other sources? And stuff like:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345270509

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a real pity Cushman's stuff was never put into a book. Clickthrough for various qualities

Here's some other random poo poo I picked up around.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 5, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Aren't there a lot of cross-sections of the ships in other sources? And stuff like:

Ages ago (the great melbourne lockdown) I was working on a tool to easily scan in and process all those maps and tech manual gidgets and make them browsable in a 3D interface with cool gidgets and you can click on things go through details and to make them all browsable through a website.

Got like 80% done and petered out. Still telling myself I'll go back to it one of these days but. Anyway there's some remains of it here https://mijofr.netlify.app/lcars

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 5, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DABO!!!!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

It's a real pity Cushman's stuff was never put into a book. Clickthrough for various qualities

Really cool images, and what they seem to emphasize very well is how insanely huge the Ent-D's internal spaces are compared to anything else.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Really cool images, and what they seem to emphasize very well is how insanely huge the Ent-D's internal spaces are compared to anything else.

Was gonna say the same thing. You never really get a scale of the ships from the inside from the shows or movies. But some of those cut aways really make it clear how huge the E was for example. Like a mall, with nacelles.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Borg have assimilated everything from the food court to the JC Penny, but when they got to Sharper Image they just stopped.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The Borg have assimilated everything from the food court to the JC Penny, but when they got to Sharper Image they just stopped.

The drones got hung up in Brookstone, they won't leave the massaging chairs!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Definitely recommend the Haynes Manuals for the Enterprise and Klingon Bird of Prey

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hnnnnnnnggggggggggggg

good bye afternoon

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

You been Quarfed!

d'oh!!!!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Sure but only one line of cross section books is garunteed to have a pooping guy

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

when did they establish the name "Miranda-Class" in canon? I dont think it was mentioned in star trek ii.

i just think mirandas are neat :shobon:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why would the bridge ever be at the very "top" of the ship?
Why not have it as deep inside the internal structure as possible?

Wouldn't that provide many extra layers of protection to the bridge?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mailorder bees posted:

when did they establish the name "Miranda-Class" in canon? I dont think it was mentioned in star trek ii.

i just think mirandas are neat :shobon:

It was named that during the production of TNG, and first showed up in the background on screens and lists and stuff that you can't really read in SD, and then was published in things like the official Trek encyclopaedia. It got publicly established around season 4 or 5 or so. I don't think it's actually been said aloud on screen. Avenger-Class was the common fanon name until Miranda got established.

redshirt posted:

Why would the bridge ever be at the very "top" of the ship?
Why not have it as deep inside the internal structure as possible?

Wouldn't that provide many extra layers of protection to the bridge?

It's thematic.

(Probert originally designed the D to have the bridge buried but Rod had it moved back to the top for we come in peace reasons)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 5, 2024

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
For the view, duh.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

MikeJF posted:

It was named that during the production of TNG, and first showed up in the background on screens and lists and stuff that you can't really read in SD, and then was published in things like the official Trek encyclopaedia. It got publicly established around season 4 or 5 or so. I don't think it's actually been said aloud on screen. Avenger-Class was the common fanon name until Miranda got established.

ah! i figured it was something like that. i was a little young at the time to know about all that fanon stuff (TNG season 1 predates me by a year lmao)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Outpost22 posted:

For the view, duh.

yall just staring at your big rear end tv.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

yall just staring at your big rear end tv.

The bridge also has a skylight, stupid!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the shields are what provide protection. once those go down, there isn't much difference between the top of the saucer and the center.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'll be on the BATTLE BRIDGE when you need me.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

redshirt posted:

I'll be on the BATTLE BRIDGE when you need me.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

They use the viewscreen like a monitor but isn't it still technically also a window? But, yes, if the ship is in such bad shape you have to actually look out the window to see what's going on you probably don't want to be there in the first place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm gonna call bullshit on that defiant cutout. it has a completely unmentioned shuttle bay but worf's depressing sleep closet isn't marked?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

MikeJF posted:

I had a big poster version of this one when I was a kid. :shobon:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

They use the viewscreen like a monitor but isn't it still technically also a window? But, yes, if the ship is in such bad shape you have to actually look out the window to see what's going on you probably don't want to be there in the first place.

It never used to be, but then it was in JJTrek, and that carried on to Disco/SNW (it's dumb and I hate it :mad:)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If my skull cruiser was facing off against a federation ship I'd definitely target the bridge with my death ray

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey what are those cut aways published in and do they have any posters like that. They're bad rear end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm gonna call bullshit on that defiant cutout. it has a completely unmentioned shuttle bay but worf's depressing sleep closet isn't marked?

Oh yeah that! This (and the one on the other side)

were meant to be little side-opening bays with a single shuttlepod in each, and that's where Odo steals a shuttlepod from in The Search, but they forgot about them in season 7 and added a bigger bay in the middle.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
ngl knowing the D is that big and empty is giving me weird heebie-jeebies, like how when you're floating in the middle of the ocean you know it's miles down beneath you, ugh

guess i'm not made for space

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they got entire sections they can fill with colonists from whatever medieval peasant planet that needs evacuation

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Why can’t the entire enterprise be one holodeck with a warp drive on it? Just a single 10x10x10 holodeck would have room for the entire crew, their families, a bunch of Irish and the like, etc

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That's a pretty ship.

I just watched the last episode of SNW season 1, and it reminds me a bit of the Roumulan ship in that episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ngl knowing the D is that big and empty is giving me weird heebie-jeebies, like how when you're floating in the middle of the ocean you know it's miles down beneath you, ugh

guess i'm not made for space

It's amazing what gets ya. I remember the first time I travelled to the other side of the globe from my home and it was nbd until I looked at the stars the first night.

Suddenly I imagined my angle to the Earth's surface , how my head was pointing out into space in a drastically "different direction" than most of my life. I imagined the angle my feet were making a vertex at the center of the earth with billions of other people's around the world and my lizard brain was suddenly like NOPE NOPE, NOPE JUST LOOK TO THE HORIZON, WE'RE ON A FLAT TABLE IT'S ALL GOLDEN BUDDY

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What was the episode where Data beams down and wrecks those peoples lives because in that episode they say exactly how Many colonist they can carry.

I think the Enterprise can hand like 20,000 people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Why can’t the entire enterprise be one holodeck with a warp drive on it? Just a single 10x10x10 holodeck would have room for the entire crew, their families, a bunch of Irish and the like, etc

The holodeck can do a lot of trickery to get more people into a space than you'd think, but it's not a tardis. It doesn't actually fold space.

They flew the Cerritos manually and ejected the viewscreen entirely so Ransom could see.