Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Das Boot movie, while older, still also holds up, can't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Monica Bellucci posted:

There was one season as it was a mini-series, 6 episodes.

Granted there was a remake a couple of years ago but, Jesus, I am not that stupid.

Unless this is a :thejoke:
- there was an 1981 movie that was shown as a series by the bbc, but was just one long 3 hour movie

- there was a 2018 series with 4 seasons. Season 1 is good. Season 2 is absolute trash: a u-boat captain in NY ends up giving up on nazism and on going back to Germany because he falls in love with a black jazz singer. Never watched season 3 and 4 after that.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Nope, 6 episodes at roughly 50 minutes each. Released as a 3 hour movie later, cutting a bunch of poo poo. Re-released, Iunno 2006ish?, as the whole thing as a great big long movie, clocks in around 4 hours 50 I think, someone has my copy at the moment.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Pretty sure you got it backwards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot

quote:

1981 unreleased version (209 minutes)
1981 original theatrical cut (149 minutes)
1984 BBC miniseries (300 minutes)
1997 "Director's Cut" (208 minutes)
2004 "The Original Uncut Version" (293 minutes) – miniseries minus episode-opening flashback scenes

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Yeah, seems right. In my defence, I do get treated as an old these days and have to restrain the urge to punch people in their condescending face. :(

I'm not old, I just have patina.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

As far as I remember pretty much any cut of Das Boot is solid and worth watching, with the arguable exception of the theatrical cut. That one just cuts it to the bone so hard that it loses quite a bit of impact. The Director's Cut is probably my favourite, sticking with the characters that much longer and feeling the tension and desperation build makes the finale hit all the harder.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And just to be clear, i wasnt trying to be pedantic. Just making sure people don't confuse the excellent original version, be it in series or movie format, with the new series version, which is not at all excellent.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
To be fair, OG Boot did get a sequel, oddly enough. Beerfest.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I remember in my hayday of 90s flight sims (SWOTL will always be #1 in my heart) reading in PC gamer about dudes that played the Das Boot PC game in real-time. They'd do like 3-day long patrols and take naps during it, so these run times aren't a surprise to me at all.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I remember in my hayday of 90s flight sims (SWOTL will always be #1 in my heart) reading in PC gamer about dudes that played the Das Boot PC game in real-time. They'd do like 3-day long patrols and take naps during it, so these run times aren't a surprise to me at all.

Oh, man, so many hours reading the companion manual to SWOTL.

I had them all, Their finest hour, SWOTL, Battlehawls 1942, microprose's B-17 Flying Fortress (both 1992 and 2000 version), Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator, il-2. It's why ive been paying attention to the b17 remaster, though from reviews it looks like a messy cash grab.

On the sub front, people still do it with the silent hunter series, playing it in real time. SH3 probably my favorite, especially with GWX3 Gold. Too bad it was a glitchy, unstable mess. But they hard coded real convoys and historical missions. Nothing like doing your little u-boat patrol in the mediterranean and suddenly seeing a billion ships because you've just run into the invasion of sicilly.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lucasarts games came with amazing books. I still have mine somewhere. Yeah, I adored Finest Hour. Aces of the Pacific was cool, too, even though not Lucasarts.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

That sounds like the subsim nerds playing Silent Hunter 3, doing math and jumping out of their chair half asleep when your watch guy is yelling "ALARM!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While watching the show, I was wondering how often bombers might hit other bombers when trying to shoot down enemy fighters. Then I found out about this video. Turns out the answer is not very often. The guns had fire interrupters and were mounted in a way to prevent them from being pointed at vital parts of the plane. I also imagine that the gunners get pretty good at knowing where a friendly bomber is going to be, so they will know not to shoot in certain directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHczTWkw-c

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Aces of the Pacific was my air sim of choice growing up. That midi soundtrack is still in my head to this day.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Cojawfee posted:

While watching the show, I was wondering how often bombers might hit other bombers when trying to shoot down enemy fighters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHczTWkw-c

I was wondering that too, interesting video

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
On the flipside, it was very common for many bombers to claim credit for the same fighter because of how the formation was organized. It might have even been the SWOTL companion that talked of a mission where several b17s claimed to have downed a fighter and after the war cross referencing the combat records only 1 had been downed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

joepinetree posted:

especially with GWX3 Gold. Too bad it was a glitchy, unstable mess.

It was still the best SH3 experience. I just checked; the tracker is still up so I'm still seeding the GWX full install torrent.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There has been a lot of hate directed at the CG. I can see the shortcomings, and I also really like the show.

So it pains me to add to that something that’s probably just a criticism of choices/animation.

I feel like the attacking German fighters are often animated too fast. The head-on passes, yeah for sure they’d whip by in a blur. But some of the passes that are more from 10 o’clock and others from more astern show the 109s/190s just going too fast IMO.

There is some still-extant period footage of what this looked like, from a gunner’s position.

Okay, there, I said it. Just had to get it out. But I really *am* enjoying the show.

WWII aircraft and aircraft history are totally my thing and I’m happy we are getting this now.

e: I am thinking a large bombing group is probably traveling at ~200 mph, at least after they reach the Initial Point?

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 5, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It took me way too long to figure out what (of several things) was bothering me about Buck and I finally grasped that it's because he reminds me of Val Kilmer in Top Secret, and it makes it near impossible for me to take any of his scenes seriously.

Latest episode was better than the first two, but I am kind of bewildered by the dissonance between the examples of how you can't always save everybody (the one dude having to abandon the trapped gunner and living vs. The pilot refusing to leave his mortally wounded copilot and trying to land his badly damaged plane resulting in killing them both) accompanied by Buck being the cool and calm super pilot who shouts down his copilot giving sensible solutions and proceeds to fly them to Africa successfully despite all the problems.

I mean I assume something akin to this happened in real life but in terms of a television episode I'm not sure what the intended takeaway is for the audience? That anybody who didn't achieve this miracle was just not good enough? Somebody said Buck reminds them of some dude from a propaganda film and yeah it really feels like it at times.

I am very, very interested in the downed guy in Belgium trying to make his way back to England though, hope that gets some time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doing some quick wikipedia math, the B-17 had a cruising speed of ~180 mph. A BF-109 has a cruise speed of 370mph. So one coming from the front will look like it's going 550mph. One flying in from the back would look like it's going nearly 200 mph. So I could see them going by in a blur if they were trying to get through the bomber formations as fast as possible to get a few shots off without being hit themselves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I mean I assume something akin to this happened in real life but in terms of a television episode I'm not sure what the intended takeaway is for the audience? That anybody who didn't achieve this miracle was just not good enough? Somebody said Buck reminds them of some dude from a propaganda film and yeah it really feels like it at times.

I don't think we are meant to take away anything from this aside from "war is really hosed up." We are just shown what people had to go through and the decisions they made in the moment.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It took me way too long to figure out what (of several things) was bothering me about Buck and I finally grasped that it's because he reminds me of Val Kilmer in Top Secret, and it makes it near impossible for me to take any of his scenes seriously.

Latest episode was better than the first two, but I am kind of bewildered by the dissonance between the examples of how you can't always save everybody (the one dude having to abandon the trapped gunner and living vs. The pilot refusing to leave his mortally wounded copilot and trying to land his badly damaged plane resulting in killing them both) accompanied by Buck being the cool and calm super pilot who shouts down his copilot giving sensible solutions and proceeds to fly them to Africa successfully despite all the problems.

I am very, very interested in the downed guy in Belgium trying to make his way back to England though, hope that gets some time.

It's particularly jarring because just before they land you have the whole dialog with Crosby where they present the "land at the beach or go for the airfield" as a "fork in the road," where if they keep going and there's no air field its essentially hills and no real spot to land. Meanwhile, Buck's all "we're 150 gallons of fuel short, ditch some things and we're going for it" and that is presented as him being cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Roughly around the same time we also see other pilots doing water landings but we have no idea what their situation is, if their planes are in worse condition than Buck's etc, but my presumption is none of them thought to lighten the load to keep going?

I think in the effort to show how competent and controlled Buck is, it has had a negative effect of making others look lesser than by comparison while also making Buck himself kinda annoying (not as annoying as Bucky though) - it would be nice to see the guy have a moment of doubt or concern or gently caress up, and "you made it all the way to Africa but couldn't make the runway? :smug:" doesn't count!

On the flip side, I think Crosby is starting to work more as a character for me now. I did like that moment where he almost snaps saying he wants to make sure the log accurately reflects when one of the other planes went down, because he wants to acknowledge that death/pay his respects in the only way he can while also making sure those people have SOME final marker. Him forgoing all the playfulness and teasing with the fork in the road riddle by just grunting,"The answer is 184" to reiterate that he was confident in the heading he had given them was also good stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you're just reading into it too much. Why are you presuming they didn't think to dump extra weight overboard? At no point was it presented as Buck coming up with a new technique for getting more range that no one had ever thought of before.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i also don't get the reading that buck is hyper comepetent, he seems to be scared and fronting more than anything

when he grabs his copilot and screams "we're just going to sit here and take it", he doesn't radiate cool leadership, he just seems to be justifying this incredibly lovely situation to himself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Entirely possible I'm just reading the intended portrayal wrong, absolutely. The character just bugs me I guess :shrug:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Jerusalem posted:

Entirely possible I'm just reading the intended portrayal wrong, absolutely. The character just bugs me I guess :shrug:

its austin butler

the dude is handsome squidward in a bomber jacket

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
He does indeed have a lovely Feyd.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think we are meant to take away anything from this aside from "war is really hosed up." We are just shown what people had to go through and the decisions they made in the moment.

Reading the book, one story it told was of a crew that made a pact that if they went down they'd do it together. During a later mission their plane was going down and one gunner who joined after the pact was made jumped out and said that the rest had stayed on the plane because the ball gunner was stuck and they wouldn't leave him.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 5, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mllaneza posted:

It was still the best SH3 experience. I just checked; the tracker is still up so I'm still seeding the GWX full install torrent.

Onealex still does the job, takes 5 mins to install. The mod runner is Ukrainian though and he's been dark for some time.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

Reading the book, one story it told was of a crew that made a pact that if they went down they'd do it together. During a later mission their plane was going down and one gunner who joined after the pact was made jumped out and said that the rest had stayed on the plane because the ball gunner was stuck and they wouldn't leave him.
Masters of Air book or another?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

Masters of Air book or another?

Masters of the Air yeah.

Edit: found the full quote.

quote:

"The World War II experience of four Flying Fortress gunners illustrates the tightness of these bonds. Before going into combat, the four sergeants made a pact that if one of them got into a tight spot the others would not abandon him, “no matter what.” Weeks later, when their plane was shredded by flak, the pilot ordered everyone to bail out. The top turret gunner, who had not entered the pact, parachuted out of the plane and later reported what happened before he jumped. Enemy shrapnel had jammed the release mechanism of the ball turret, trapping the gunner in his Plexiglas bubble. Unable to extricate him, the other three gunners, all of them uninjured, told their trapped friend that they would die with him. And they did."

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 5, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh we will. I knew that they'd shove some sort of ground war plot into the series to balance out all the air war stuff happening, and our guy stumbling into the resistance seems to be the ticket for that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrMojok posted:

There has been a lot of hate directed at the CG. I can see the shortcomings, and I also really like the show.

So it pains me to add to that something that’s probably just a criticism of choices/animation.

I feel like the attacking German fighters are often animated too fast. The head-on passes, yeah for sure they’d whip by in a blur. But some of the passes that are more from 10 o’clock and others from more astern show the 109s/190s just going too fast IMO.

There is some still-extant period footage of what this looked like, from a gunner’s position.

Okay, there, I said it. Just had to get it out. But I really *am* enjoying the show.

WWII aircraft and aircraft history are totally my thing and I’m happy we are getting this now.

e: I am thinking a large bombing group is probably traveling at ~200 mph, at least after they reach the Initial Point?

This is my biggest issue. The CG looks just fine in stills. The airplanes have the right proportions, the detail is good, but the animators just have absolutely no idea how airplanes fly; Any time anything moves, it’s just wrong. I call it the Red Tails effect. Numerous instances of airplanes doing things that are physically impossible; There’s a scene where a B-17 gets hit and starts to yaw in complete circles while still traveling forward at mostly the same speed as the rest of the group. Wings coming off and the airplane not rolling. All of the takeoff/landing/go around scenes set off my aviation uncanny-valley alarm.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Okay I understand the complaints against the CG now, because yeah I watched that B17 go down and thought "huh that doesn't look all that natural." It's still a very minor distraction to me from everything else going on though.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/1754208892383309926

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I loved the juxtaposition of the tropes of the fate of the ball turret gunner and Curtis. In typical Hollywood war movies, a last bit of desperate grit would've gotten the turret open and they'd have escaped at the last second, and Barry would've made a rough landing and pulled his buddy out of the plane. In real life? Nope, they all die exempt "the coward". I hate the term as much as hate The Last Jedi, but to me this is a competent use of subverting expectations.

As far as ditching weight it was standard practice but as stated above each B-17 would've been in different shape depening on things like how badly damaged the engines were, how much extra drag the airframe damage was causing, how much. 50 cal the gunners shot already, how many damaged pieces fell off the plane, how much fuel leaked out from damage to the tanks/lines, etc. First contact was the last time they all had similar fuel loads.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The Austin Butler thing wouldn't have bothered me if we didn't have like 4 versions of him being the only competent and dedicated one in his plane

"were done for we need to bail out" no
"we gotta ditch" no
"we don't have fuel" ditch some weight
"we gotta put our landing gear down" not yet

It's not a fatal flaw, but it does stand out in comparison to the exchanges and discussion in the crosby plane, for example.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I loved the juxtaposition of the tropes of the fate of the ball turret gunner and Curtis. In typical Hollywood war movies, a last bit of desperate grit would've gotten the turret open and they'd have escaped at the last second, and Barry would've made a rough landing and pulled his buddy out of the plane. In real life? Nope, they all die exempt "the coward". I hate the term as much as hate The Last Jedi, but to me this is a competent use of subverting expectations.

The subversion for me was the fact that the fort blew up right after he bailed. I expected Babyface to have a gruelling, drawn out death as the plane tumbled towards the ground, but instead it gets cut short by the explosion. A small blessing of sorts, but still, a rough way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the sudden explosion was too Hollywood. It didn't make sense since there was no foreshadowing of it, as all the foreshadowing was the "we're about to smash into the earth and you need to get out of the plane"