Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

Mad God is fuckin amazing. I got high with a few friends and watched it and we could barely look away from the screen the entire time.

And whoever is on the Nicholas Cage kick definitely check out Pig and Color Out of Space, not sure where they're streaming these days though.

Color Out of Space wasn't too bad, there have been worse Cage movies so far. I'm on Mad God now, and, what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Yes, the hell!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

True Detective is just a hot mess jail for Jodie Foster. I couldn't stop laughing when they turned on the sirens and lights to drive away from a nomad camp in the middle of nowhere

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Inspector Hound posted:

Color Out of Space wasn't too bad, there have been worse Cage movies so far. I'm on Mad God now, and, what the hell

I thought it was great just for what it is, straight forward Lovecraftian body horror flick.

And yes mad god is :krad:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Somehow Mad God was at the top of my watch list and then eluded me forever and I forgot about it, I need to seek it out

Upsidads posted:

True Detective is just a hot mess jail for Jodie Foster. I couldn't stop laughing when they turned on the sirens and lights to drive away from a nomad camp in the middle of nowhere

Cops do that poo poo all the time lol

I will defend this season of True Detective not because it's especially good but because its been average to bad since S2 and somehow people are pretending they just noticed, kinda like when Game of Thrones got attacked for that bad final season but the show had been pretty much at that level for a few years at that point

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mission impossible 1,2,3,5,6,7 Ethan is spy Messiah
Mission impossible 4 Ethan is member of fully competent team

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I never really thought she was anything all that special but Juno Temple is SOOOOOOOOOOOOo good in Fargo season 5. She carries the whole thing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

mcmagic posted:

I never really thought she was anything all that special but Juno Temple is SOOOOOOOOOOOOo good in Fargo season 5. She carries the whole thing.

For real she is incredible.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Its a disservice to leave out a great supporting cast even a decent kid actor

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've randomly tried Prime's Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and... I'm actually liking it quite a bit? Perhaps it's just cause I had the lowest possible expectations, but it's actually decent fun and the leads have a pretty nice chemistry. Not a masterpiece or anything, but generally a good time. It helps that it doesn't really have any actual connection to the movie beyond the vaguest premise.

It's funny to see it kinda getting savaged on imdb, cause it seems like a lot of people were expecting exactly a movie remake and are angry they didn't get that. :allears:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Killer Joe. KILLEE JOE. KILLER J

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Perestroika posted:

I've randomly tried Prime's Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and... I'm actually liking it quite a bit? Perhaps it's just cause I had the lowest possible expectations, but it's actually decent fun and the leads have a pretty nice chemistry. Not a masterpiece or anything, but generally a good time. It helps that it doesn't really have any actual connection to the movie beyond the vaguest premise.

It's funny to see it kinda getting savaged on imdb, cause it seems like a lot of people were expecting exactly a movie remake and are angry they didn't get that. :allears:

I watched the first two episodes and I'm definitely interested. It's such a weird vibe. Is it comedy? Is it action? Is it drama? Nope, not really but yes also absolutely.

I didn't know anything about the show so (first 10 minutes spoiler) I started watching it and said "Oh poo poo Alexander Skaarsgaard AND Eiza Gonzalez? Two of the hottest people on Earth? I'm definitely in on this show and oh wait never mind."

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Shageletic posted:

Killer Joe. KILLEE JOE. KILLER J

yes. also for Gina Gershon and that scene :stonk:

you'll know it when you see it

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I knew that Netflix had added a bunch of tiers recently......but this is the first time I've seen something that I wanted to watch as locked because of "licensing restrictions". What a joke.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Medullah posted:

I watched the first two episodes and I'm definitely interested. It's such a weird vibe. Is it comedy? Is it action? Is it drama? Nope, not really but yes also absolutely.

I didn't know anything about the show so (first 10 minutes spoiler) I started watching it and said "Oh poo poo Alexander Skaarsgaard AND Eiza Gonzalez? Two of the hottest people on Earth? I'm definitely in on this show and oh wait never mind."

Yeah I had the same thought after the first two episodes, I'm not quite sure what it's trying to be but it's pretty good anyway? Like some of the plotline in the second episode get pretty cartoony but then it also has some heavy drama vibes. Glover and Erskine are both great though so I'm happy just to watch them do whatever

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I knew that Netflix had added a bunch of tiers recently......but this is the first time I've seen something that I wanted to watch as locked because of "licensing restrictions". What a joke.

lol wow no regrets on dropping them. I had no idea they were rolling that out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I think the lowest tier with ads only has netflix originals, but because that's so much of their library now, you might not even notice it for a while

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Famethrowa posted:

lol wow no regrets on dropping them. I had no idea they were rolling that out.

Yeah....it's really stupid. Ads don't even bother me all that much (except on Hulu where they are blisteringly loud)......but restricting what's available to view is something that I wasn't expecting.

mystes posted:

I think the lowest tier with ads only has netflix originals, but because that's so much of their library now, you might not even notice it for a while

Netflix doesn't have enough good original programming in order to sell this, imo. It's funny.....I haven't even really been using Netflix all that much in the past year or so (which is why I'm just noticing this).....and the first time in months that I've logged in to watch something specific (and not just click around looking for something).....and I can't watch it due to restrictions. lol.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Had two cross country flights last weekend and rewatched Andor to pass the time. Holy hell, what a great show. Still can't believe they were able to mine the Star Wars universe for such an excellent story.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Netflix doesn't have enough good original programming in order to sell this, imo. It's funny.....I haven't even really been using Netflix all that much in the past year or so (which is why I'm just noticing this).....and the first time in months that I've logged in to watch something specific (and not just click around looking for something).....and I can't watch it due to restrictions. lol.
I'm not subscribed to netflix at all right now and I don't know how serious they are able people actually using their ad tier, but the stuff they have done to stop people from sharing accounts appears to have been successful since they boosted their subscriber numbers, and I'd imagine that most of their subscribers are watching netflix originals because that's so much of their content.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm just in "oh my god what's new on tubi?! What's leaving??" mode so I always forget I technically still have prime and criterion..
Netflix there's only usually one or two movies on there any any given time I might watch and all their miniseries/programming just either seems lame as gently caress or super drawn out.

I guess I'll use prime to watch saltburn at some point so if I can find out whether I'm in the camp of millennials who think it was stupid and grotesque (my thoughts on Promising Young Woman, which hey, its inspiring, if "Emerald Fennell" can win an oscar then any nepobaby can) or the camp who think it was stupid and fun.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 4, 2024

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Saltburn is 80% bad stupid and 20% good stupid. It’s a frustrating mix. Apparently, Emerald Fennell wanted to cast Timothee Chalamet originally, which might have catapulted it all the way to good stupid, despite Barry K being the better actor.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 4, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Medullah posted:

I just finished it up, and yeah it really does keep that vibe the whole way through. Towards the end it even gets downright meta: You could pretty easily interpret the company/Hihi as a representation of the scriptwriters. Being seemingly omniscient, setting peculiar missions that sometimes seem only to exist to have plot happen, and intentionally stirring drama between the protagonists. And once they refuse to play along any further, they're set up to be simply eliminated.

But yeah, overall it turned out to be actually pretty interesting, and way better than what I'd expected out of it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mcmagic posted:

She's amazing in the weird show Little Birds.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Perestroika posted:

I just finished it up, and yeah it really does keep that vibe the whole way through. Towards the end it even gets downright meta: You could pretty easily interpret the company/Hihi as a representation of the scriptwriters. Being seemingly omniscient, setting peculiar missions that sometimes seem only to exist to have plot happen, and intentionally stirring drama between the protagonists. And once they refuse to play along any further, they're set up to be simply eliminated.

But yeah, overall it turned out to be actually pretty interesting, and way better than what I'd expected out of it.

I finished Mr. and Mrs. Smith up today and I'll agree here. It really was just a unique show. Just like Atlanta it just has a different kind of vibe to it.

I kind of wish they just dumped the name and treated it as an original concept, because it really didn't have that many similarities with the original. Until the end, of course. It was interesting that they basically ended the series where the movie began.

I like the vague ending and I kind of want it to just end now, no season 2.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

https://youtu.be/gUgYOzubRpU?si=hsLrU6AnXckK9eev
YouTube has some great stuff
HP lovekraft and Poe adaptation with Vincent Price?
Yes please

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I enjoyed Mr. and Mrs. Smith quite a bit. It's got a very unusual tone overall, though, and I feel like most of the people who think it's gonna be an action thing won't love it. As someone else said, it's hard to say exactly what genre it is. I would say it's often comedic, but the driving story is dramatic, and there are usually action sequences. Maya Erskine is especially great - an interesting character that she plays really well.

Oh, it also ends on a huge cliffhanger. So, warning if that sort of thing bothers you.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Loved the guest stars in Mr/Mrs Smith when I heard Toby while he had the hood on I was like wait is that Ron Perlman? And then later recognized Dave Attell as the gas station owner. Donald Glovers actual mom also played his mom in the show.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Welp I sure did hate Leave The World Behind. There's like five minutes of anything interesting happening surrounded by almost two and a half hours of characters dramatically explaining to the audience that actually this is super important commentary on Our Society.

Also its use of racial tensions felt insultingly shallow and manipulative.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Just fyi, finished watching The Curse and this post did in fact spoil the ending for me. I don't care, I just thought you'd like to know, this was actually too on the nose to be spoiler free, if in the future you care about that. Again, I don't care. I'm not mad, that's not what this is. I just thought you might like to know. Cool show!

/edit: Yeah, ok, I'm a dumb dumb just realised it was now only my post that had the actual spoiler in it, and what's worse I was lampshading it super hard in case it 'did' fly over someone's head. Edited it out.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 6, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

!Klams posted:

Just fyi, finished watching The Curse and this post did in fact spoil the ending for me. I don't care, I just thought you'd like to know, this was actually too on the nose to be spoiler free, if in the future you care about that. Again, I don't care. I'm not mad, that's not what this is. I just thought you might like to know. Cool show!
yeah I was pretty annoyed by that post but didn't want to call attention to it for that reason. you both may wanna spoiler tag the stuff

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm sorry folks I went back and edited it with spoilers and a warning. Weeks later, I still love The Curse and don't want to mess with anyone's enjoyment. I apologize.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Now streaming on Showtime is a movie from 2002 called The Good Girl. Jennifer Aniston is a small-town Texas woman whose life seems to be going nowhere, John C. Reilly is her shlubby housepainter husband, Jake Gyllenhaal is a pretentious tortured artist type. With a big scoop of Tim Blake Nelson! It's funny but also very sincere in a sweet early-2000's kinda way. It's that kind of indie movie from back then that said "These quirky people have emotions, and life is complicated and stuff."

Also there's an alternate reality where people actually paid attention to Jennifer Aniston's performance in this movie and she went on to do almost exclusively low budget dramas and became an indie darling

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Now streaming on Showtime is a movie from 2002 called The Good Girl. Jennifer Aniston is a small-town Texas woman whose life seems to be going nowhere, John C. Reilly is her shlubby housepainter husband, Jake Gyllenhaal is a pretentious tortured artist type. With a big scoop of Tim Blake Nelson! It's funny but also very sincere in a sweet early-2000's kinda way. It's that kind of indie movie from back then that said "These quirky people have emotions, and life is complicated and stuff."

Also there's an alternate reality where people actually paid attention to Jennifer Aniston's performance in this movie and she went on to do almost exclusively low budget dramas and became an indie darling

I was confusing this with Derailed initially and was very confused

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Huh I would not describe The Good Girl that way. I'd say it's more of a mild dark comedy; the title is pretty ironic.

Probably my favorite performance by Aniston though.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The was a... good(?) DVD commentary where Mike White and Miguel Arteta were clearly high off their assess while recording. It's weirdly fascinating.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

It is a small bummer that Aniston went into mostly lovely big budget roles. She really inhabits roles effortlessly.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Started watching The Traitors US season 1, and it makes me wonder if there are special unannounced roles because Kate definitely acts like a jester now. I also think about how meta knowledge could be used, like the order of people coming in for breakfast shows the people that were discussed as potential targets come in last.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 6, 2024

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
The Traitors rules because it’s great to see Alan Cumming chewing huge mouthfuls of scenery and his wardrobe is out of this world. But it sucks that they went all in on reality stars for season 2, because who gives a poo poo if those assholes win. The mix of reality show alum and regular people in Season 1 was more interesting.

I also recommend The Traitors UK which just finished its second season. Space out watching them, though, because the US and UK use the same locations and challenges each season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

The Traitors rules because it’s great to see Alan Cumming chewing huge mouthfuls of scenery and his wardrobe is out of this world. But it sucks that they went all in on reality stars for season 2, because who gives a poo poo if those assholes win. The mix of reality show alum and regular people in Season 1 was more interesting.

I also recommend The Traitors UK which just finished its second season. Space out watching them, though, because the US and UK use the same locations and challenges each season.

Last week I started a very boring data entry task so put S1 of these on in the background, based on this thread. Good show for "you can glance at it every few minutes to see the daily challenge, but easy to follow just by audio."

Alan Cummings is so over the top he's gone past silly overacting to brilliant. Looks like a blast, even if he's just reading from a script 90% of his screentime. You know how some old TV shows used to have 2 hosts, where one was the voice and the other was just eye-candy? Traitors US S1 has Alan Cummings and Alan Cummings' Wardrobe.

Claudia Winkleman, seems like she's really (strangely) invested in the players. Like she's on the sidelines cheering the teams on, getting caught up on the emotional drama less than fueling it. Kind of endearing, like she's half-contestant. She doesn't have much of a script and that works great for her style.

I started the Australian one yesterday. That host ( Rodger Corser? New to me) is (imo) pretty great casting. Very much an Aussie version of the Cummings character so far.