Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ultrafilter posted:

You probably wouldn't be able to do it with a chain that's as short as a standard whip.

Right, that makes sense. Seat-of-the-pants I feel like the tapering size of the chain links is also a big factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The end of the giant chain whip is probably leather, so I’d think all the giant chain does is add more mass to maybe make the crack stronger?…maybe?

I’m sure there’s some goon whip expert that has been working/making whips for decades that can explain this all to us.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i saw a biker whip another biker with the lock chains from his motorcycle once, but it just made some really ugly noises. no whipcracks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think it makes much of a difference how heavy the body of the whip is, the very tip is what goes fast enough to crack as the wave you make hits the end of the whip

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It's basic physics. The chain whip tapers along its length, getting lighter and lighter. As you swing the base, that motion gets transferred along the length. As it gets smaller and smaller, the rotational inertia of each little section gets smaller and smaller, and so in accordance with the conservation of angular momentum, the angular speed gets faster and faster, until the end is going super fast. Essentially the same principle as a normal whip, just magnified. Notice how slowly he swings the base and it still produces a very loud crack. It no doubt is a lot more effort to swing because of its additional weight, but getting it to crack is probably way easy compared to a normal whip.

Mister Speaker posted:

Seat-of-the-pants I feel like the tapering size of the chain links is also a big factor.

exactly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

i saw a biker whip another biker with the lock chains from his motorcycle once, but it just made some really ugly noises. no whipcracks.

I played Road Rash 2 a lot in the 90s as well

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Robobot posted:

The end of the giant chain whip is probably leather, so I’d think all the giant chain does is add more mass to maybe make the crack stronger?…maybe?

I’m sure there’s some goon whip expert that has been working/making whips for decades that can explain this all to us.

Kyle Hill tried to do it using only steel chain (longer length, but smaller individual links) and while he got something impressively destructive and dangerous, he could not make it do the *CRACK!*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuERuj_8vnY

Short version, the big guy in the video with the whipcrack has a small bit of leather at the end of his whip that was doing the actual noise making. I'd rather not encounter either one in the wild.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sweet Elden Ring dlc weapon

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does it look likes it cracks pretty close to his face at first

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does it look likes it cracks pretty close to his face at first

it does but i think the crack is between him and the camera so we just see the "steam" from it

good choice of angle

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oh my god, this is adorable.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Members of the Madras Engineering Group display their martial arts skills during the 75th Republic Day parade. The event commemorates the date when the constitution of India came into force in 1950 and the country began its transition from a British dominion into a republic

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Inceltown posted:

Members of the Madras Engineering Group display their martial arts skills during the 75th Republic Day parade. The event commemorates the date when the constitution of India came into force in 1950 and the country began its transition from a British dominion into a republic

Is this the parade where a team rides to the foot of a mountain range, disembark, disassemble said vehicle, carries the parts over the mountain range, reassemble aforementioned vehicle, and then resume riding the truck past the stands?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Ballbot5000 posted:

Was that BBQ sauce? What the gently caress?

Also it cuts from the closed bottle to the lid suddenly being open, I call shenanigans

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

sound
https://i.imgur.com/FBpEBYR.mp4

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Well the logic is sound

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
A man who dares to be stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ&t=47s

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I do not want him to fail

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He's better than Batman because he's the hero that we need and the hero that we want

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I bet his mom is hot

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FreudianSlippers posted:

I bet his mom is hot

:golfclap:

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
The way he closes the microwave door with a cool, assured shake of his head

Feb 2, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why do I see werewolf nick cage

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
Cause warewolf nick cage sees you

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why do I see werewolf nick cage

Nic Cage spends a lot of time out in the woods at night with mythical/cryptid creatures according to google image search

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Still less freaky than the 2019 movie.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Race officials try to stop Kathrine Switzer from officially running the 1967 Boston Marathon by attacking her to steal her race number. They say women can’t run such a long race even though Bobbi Gibb has already done it the year before and this year, just unofficially since she wasn’t allowed to register and get numbers. Switzer makes it through and becomes the first woman to officially complete Boston.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I understand that sexism doesn't really have an honest rationale, but what was the reasoning behind "women can't run long distances"?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ommin posted:

I understand that sexism doesn't really have an honest rationale, but what was the reasoning behind "women can't run long distances"?

They look unappealing when doing so.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ommin posted:

Women are inferior and also weak and fragile. We cant have them doing stuff that might prove otherwise

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ommin posted:

How would Johnny Chain Smoker feel if he lost to a girl? Think of Johnny.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

freeedr posted:

Race officials try to stop Kathrine Switzer from officially running the 1967 Boston Marathon by attacking her to steal her race number. They say women can’t run such a long race even though Bobbi Gibb has already done it the year before and this year, just unofficially since she wasn’t allowed to register and get numbers. Switzer makes it through and becomes the first woman to officially complete Boston.

It's only "race official," the offending rear end in a top hat is the race director Jock Semple. In this photo, it's the dude behind her in the dark coat that's trying to steal her number. The smaller dude to her right is her coach, he's trying to fend the guy off. Eventually her boyfriend, #390, turns around and levels him.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Feb 5, 2024

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

freeedr posted:

Jock Semple was just one of those people who took his job too seriously. He would tackle and throw out people who raced in costume as well There's a good episode of the Dollop about it. He and Katherine later became friends and he later advocated for women to be allowed to compete with men in running competitions.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Here's the story in her own words. (It's good)

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Women are inferior and also weak and fragile. We cant have them doing stuff that might prove otherwise

Cocaine Bear posted:

How would Johnny Chain Smoker feel if he lost to a girl? Think of Johnny.

It really is that simplistic, huh. I thought they were trying to say there was some physiological danger to women or something. I way overthought it. lol

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Ommin posted:

Especially when your claim is "women can't run long distances," and your reasoning behind it is, "because we will physically restrain them from trying to do so."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A little amused to see her boyfriend, a former NFL player training to be an Olympian, decides to jump in on the Boston Marathon because if she can do it then obviously he can do it without any marathon training, and then he only barely scrapes by the finish line while she's been done for over an hour.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

because if she can do it then obviously he can do it without any marathon training

did he say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hawowanlawow posted:

did he say that?

quote:

Two weeks later, my boyfriend, a 235-pound ex–All American football player and nationally ranked hammer thrower known as Big Tom Miller, announced that he was going to run Boston, too, and didn’t need to train because “if a girl can run a marathon, I can run a marathon.” Tom was an authority on all things athletic and would not be dissuaded.

And he turned into a frikkin whiner after he checked the race manager

quote:

We were just falling into the rhythm of Arnie’s stride and beginning to relax when Tom, still fuming, turned to me and blurted out, “You’re getting me into all kinds of trouble!”

It was out of the blue.

“What are you talking about, Tom?”

“I’ve hit an official, and now I’ll get kicked out of the AAU.” Tom had aspirations of competing in the Olympics in the ham¬mer throw.

I felt really sad, but I was angry, too. “I didn’t hit the official, you hit the official, Tom.” I said it quietly. I thought it totally crass of him to pick a fight in public with me, his steady girl¬friend. Everybody looked embarrassed.

“Oh great, yeah, thanks a lot for nothing. I should never have come to Boston,” he answered loudly.

“It was your idea to come to Boston!” I shot back.

But with that Tom ripped the numbers off the front and back of his sweatshirt, tore them up and threw them to the pavement, and shouted, “I am never going to make the Olympic team and it’s all your fault!” Then he lowered his voice and hissed, “Besides that, you run too slow anyway.” And with that, he took off and disappeared among the runners in front.

I couldn’t help it. I felt so ashamed, I was crying. Again Tom had convinced me I was just a girl, a jogger, and a no-talent like me now had bumbled the Olympic Dream out of his life. I thought I was a serious girlfriend to him, and so I guessed that was over, too. It was a helluva race so far, that’s for sure, and we still had over 20 miles to run.

Later, Karma strikes:

quote:

Now we were halfway and in the famous Wellesley Hills, where in one of Arnie’s theories, “the race began.” Suddenly ahead in the grey mist I could see an orange sweatshirt. It was Big Tom, and he was walking. We caught him quickly, of course, surprising him. “Walk with me a while,” he pleaded. “I’ll get it back.”

“I can’t, Tom,” I answered. “As slow as I’m going, I’ve got some momentum here,” thinking if he had to walk at 13 he should call a taxi. Then I drifted ahead. He screamed after me, “I’d never leave you!”

Yet she married him the next year, which lasted 5 years