Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The mining company had a handful of Teslas outside their office.

My immersion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

The mining company had a handful of Teslas outside their office.

They're for emergency heating.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
At least we get a Friday episode and aren’t skipping a week… so this will be over sooner.

I’ve given up on caring about the plot since the show isn’t super concerned with it, but I’m still enjoying the vibes / setting / characters.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This is still like a 7 out of 10 season for me. Its fine. Cs get degrees and all that. But I feel like sometimes it gets close to being very good instead of just ok. Like, the jump scare part of the last sequence takes so much away from the effectiveness of finding navarro later...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Music is so cheesy lmfao. The bit on the ice with the sister was so on the nose and the song over the fight scene was actively harmful to what the show was trying to go for.

Great bit of business where Eccelston goes for the water bottle in Danver's office, but gives it a surreptitious sniff to check it for alcohol.

Agreed with the goons above, for a non actor Kali Reis is really good in that goodbye scene with her sister at the hospital.

The relationship between Danvers, Navarro and Freshman is the core to the show for me, so if that's not working for people I can see why the season would fail entirely. Danvers is aggressive, and Navarro taking that and pushing back is what she respects about her, which ironically allows her to go easier on the woman e.g. offering her the Christmas Eve off. Freshman pushes back, but from Danver's perspective it's about the wrong things (whinging about his work life balance), which means he gets no slack.

This catfishing scam is gonna be the wedge that finally jams its way into his loyalty to her though IMO.

covidstomper58 posted:

It's about [..] weakening the barrier between Alaska and the Night Country creating the conditions that increase the likelihood a mid tier devil is going to wander around tossing transmogrification oranges around and loving up eyes and ears of people and polar bears.

It's not not this, and it's very cool how the opening HBO logo had the white noise effect bleed into the episode proper.

I like the relationship between the leads enough that I kind of wish this was a completely separate show about a small town fighting a losing battle against cosmic insanity and ancient ice creatures. I kind of wish it didn't have to stick to the True Detective bits. I mean that's literally Fortitude, it's got the same airport from Fortitude, but Fortitude was a banger.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Definitely a better episode than the last. There were 3 moments when I thought the episode was about to end and it didn't... which can be good and was in this case since in all 3 cases I was thinking "no, don't end yet!" but then when it did end... I just had to laugh because it's such a stupid ending.

The weird thing about this show is that it often makes me feel like I'm being a bad TV watcher due to the names not being imprinted into my brain well enough by the show. Who is Holden... is that Danvers' dead kid? They did a search that brought up Otis but I already forgot who that search was made from and why they were doing it. The mayor wannabe says some names at Danvers that don't register as anybody to me. I just feel kinda lost in some details and I don't know if they matter or not, which is a wild thing when you're 2/3 of the way through a season of TV. And then Danvers walks up on the guy who is obviously Otis and they throw a same-episode flashback into my face to remind me. It's like a whiplash of what's expected of me and I'd like to explicitly state here that I do not ever multitask when I watch something, I am 100% focused on this show when I watch it. I have poo poo memory so with the amount that information is being detailed, this season seems like one that needed to be binged.

When Danvers noticed the power going out in the Station video I was like, "wait, you didn't notice that the first time you watched it?!" How is it these people don't immediately scrutinize the ends of these videos until hours later? Also want to mention here that I've had a sneaking suspicion the girl's video doesn't actually take place in a real ice cave but something that's supposed to resemble an ice cave. But I guess since Otis actually did map out caves nearby, that's possibly wrong. Finally, geological/anthropological/whatever nerd guy hitting his head on the light above his desk is hilarious and stupid at the same time because it's a great touch to show how freaked out he is by his wife being mad at him but also why the gently caress would he ever let that thing hang so low directly above his own desk; he'd have to avoid it every time he got up. The moment I move into a place and see a ceiling lamp low enough to bonk my head into, I ratchet that poo poo up higher.

For a while there I was getting pissed at Freshman not growing a spine (and a character) but hearing what he said to his wife, uhh, I'm really conflicted on how much I care about him anymore.

Navarro's boyfriend getting on a knee to fake a marriage proposal just to fix her finger was a really poo poo move for the guy who has been acting like he wants to marry her since the start of the season. I hope he's the bad guy.

I was really interested in the flashback to Wheeler and Navarro saying she saw nothing really hammers home to me that Danvers is the one who probably shot Wheeler. Sad we probably won't get any resolution on that until the finale.

The jump cuts back and forth in time at the end are very unintentionally funny to me because it just makes it look like someone messed up in the editing room rather than pushing a spooky narrative. The guy's night country line is just godawfully corny. I think my inability to enjoy normal horror entertainment ruined this episode's experience for me. The jump scare did nothing for me and felt stupid, the girl under the bed just made me think about the Billie Eilish music video for the theme song, and the idea that some dude has been living out in the middle of nowhere while doing all these drugs makes less sense than ghosts being real. Also they aren't in night country anymore, it was twilight when they went out there!

Final thought: The show's title sequence is better directed than the rest of the show.

This season is silly.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Who is Holden... is that Danvers' dead kid?
I also had absolutely no idea who they were talking about there. I think Eccleston threw out two names at her too?

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
I always appreciate a Mazzy Star drop but I agree with everyone else that the music selection isn't great. This season is all over the place and has way too much going on. Too many side characters and plots that are clogging up the detective story line, it's jarring when they actually get back to the main mystery. I love the setting and it's doing a lot for the show but it's just so unfocused and trying to jam too much in too short of a time. It might work in a 10 episode season but with 6 episodes you have to be laser focused and efficient and sadly the show just isn't pulling it off in my opinion.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

VagueRant posted:

I also had absolutely no idea who they were talking about there. I think Eccleston threw out two names at her too?

It's Danvers dead husband and son. I actually don't think they've said either of their names until this episode? And in fact, I'm really confused why they are hiding what happened with her family from the viewers. It took my some time to figure out the relationship between her daughter and her (she's a step-daughter right?), and to piece together there even was a husband at one point. It's very bizarre they are playing that so close to the chest when I don't see any reason to obfuscate it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I hope they don’t reveal (even though I know they will since it keeps coming back) who shot/killed the twist & shout whistler because it’s a million times more interesting for the story and characters if we believe it really could have been either of them (and it ultimately doesn’t matter).

I agree it’s wild that they keep making the freshman LESS sympathetic each episode. I guess they’re trying to say he’s his father’s son, but it just isn’t working for me.

Kali Reis holding her own against one of the greatest actresses of our time continues to impress.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
"I took a half measure, kid"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Getting lost in names brought up and discarded/number of threads is something that sank S2 for me. I think S1 also had a bit of that, which I think is par for the course with these "crime mystery" shows. You need to seed the bad guy early, but introduce enough fluff that people won't just Leo at the TV hey he did it, and that's a hard balance to get. I think Knives Out was one of the first things in awhile that I felt did just enough to have that sprawling a cast while not feeling bloated or having anyone be that short-changed.

fullroundaction posted:

Kali Reis holding her own against one of the greatest actresses of our time continues to impress.

The cast in this is pretty great all around. The jump scares don't bug me in that yes it's an overused trope, but I like that they're using it against a character who doesn't flinch when it happens. It's like someone confronting their personal boogey-man, and the cold-eyed stare of "god drat, not this poo poo again" in combination with the quiet breakdown that follows is a kind of cool way to show how haunted she is by these ghosts. Whether real (lol) or in her mind.

It's a cheap effect, but the use feels appropriate enough, basically.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jeep posted:

i know this has been a persistent problem but it bears repeating this week: drat the music selection is so bad lmao

It's rare that music in dramatic moments can completely ruin a scene but that's what happened this episode. The sister walking off into the ice should have been a somber, sad moment and here's more Billie Elish!

The whole show is just afraid to let itself have any space, like it doesn't trust the viewer to know what's going on if they are not constantly bombarded with musical cues or flashbacks.

I am looking forward to a dramatic conclusion in ice cave Carcosa. Please give me a wendigo, this will redeem the entire show.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
I liked the music but it's definitely an interesting choice for a True Detective show. The jump scare towards the end was a little silly, killed some of the tension for me in those final scenes.

my bony fealty posted:

Please give me a wendigo, this will redeem the entire show.

I've had no expectations for this show until now. Wendigo or bust

mystes
May 31, 2006

wendigo to the poles

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

my bony fealty posted:

It's rare that music in dramatic moments can completely ruin a scene but that's what happened this episode. The sister walking off into the ice should have been a somber, sad moment and here's more Billie Elish!

The whole show is just afraid to let itself have any space, like it doesn't trust the viewer to know what's going on if they are not constantly bombarded with musical cues or flashbacks.

I am looking forward to a dramatic conclusion in ice cave Carcosa. Please give me a wendigo, this will redeem the entire show.

Still waiting for the True Detective shootout for the season, it was kinda playing at one and then decided not to happen.

That being said, yeah, i think there's something to be said for the music just being ambient, and not like, the needle drop with the drat cocaine song every time someone in a film does cocaine.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

mystes posted:

wendigo to the poles

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
A wendigo in a cave? What is this The Outsider season 2???

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

my bony fealty posted:

You know how in a lot of HBO-level shows the big action takes place off screen? How in earlier seasons it's for budgetary reasons and for later ones it's because the scale is too epic and the expectations too high to film even with the help of millions of dollars and liberal use of CGI?

*Danvers and Navarro charge at the glowing eyes in the ice cave*

[fade to black; then fade back in]

"Danvers, that was loving wild!" 'I know Navarro' "No I mean that's the craziest thing I've ever seen. The craziest I can ever imagine." 'No argument there.' "If this were a movie they'd give it Best Picture every year for twenty years." 'I think we finally agree on something.' "You're the world's biggest badass!" 'Okay okay but we have to get to a hospital pronto before we pass out and bleed out.' "That's the thing. Look. All our wounds have healed up. All the blood on the ice disappeared with whoever or whatever that was. Even our clothes are untorn." 'You're right!' "It's like this whole thing, the most epic thing ever, hasn't even happened.'

*cut to black again*

[*the one least fitting Billie Eilish song, which has been playing the whole time, plays louder*]

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anything short of "mass psychological issues caused by released ancient virus" will be lame. Previous mental illness issues exacerbating the virus pan out well.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

Anything short of "mass psychological issues caused by released ancient virus" will be lame. Previous mental illness issues exacerbating the virus pan out well.

Wendigo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

What's the problem with the music? Anything released after 1995 or so is Young People Music, and doesn't really register to me.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Madurai posted:

What's the problem with the music? Anything released after 1995 or so is Young People Music, and doesn't really register to me.

It sucks and doesn’t fit the mood of the scene

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

2 more episodes and we’re back in the real night country.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Madurai posted:

They played a song with the lyrics "everybody dies" over a scene of someone killing herself, you don't think that's a little on the nose?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The music is fine as music, Billie Elish is cool and Mazzie Star is great, but the choices of where they're using the music in the show is awful and the general reliance on having music playing so much at all is very annoying. Silence is ok!!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mordja posted:

They played a song with the lyrics "everybody dies" over a scene of someone killing herself, you don't think that's a little on the nose?

If you told me that song had lyrics in English, I'd have to take your word for it.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

let's compromise and call it a wendigo virus, like some resident evil poo poo that first makes you go insane and then turns you into a wendigo

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

People are gonna be so mad when this season has a “scientific” explanation for all the weird going on. Like what the LOST writers promised would happen but then backpedaled on. This really is a call of cthulhu game where the DM is calling for way too many sanity checks. Not sure how they wrap this up in two episodes but I’m on board the goof troop train.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I posit that many of you may find what you're looking for by searching up one of the better Until Dawn let's plays on YouTube

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kendigo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
why is everyone so insistent on a virus?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

HermitSupplier posted:

I liked the music but it's definitely an interesting choice for a True Detective show. The jump scare towards the end was a little silly, killed some of the tension for me in those final scenes.

I've had no expectations for this show until now. Wendigo or bust

This season is definitely missing that T Bone Burnett touch. Billie Eilish is such a boring pick for the theme song. Give us something we haven’t heard before!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

why is everyone so insistent on a virus?

I mean, it does fit what we know, and "scientists uncover something deadly due to global warming / digging in the dirt" is almost a trope now. It would possibly explain why people are having the hallucinations and visions. And it would also establish Evil Mining Corp(tm) as a main villain, which is pretty par for the course in the series.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Jump scares suck and are lazy.

Mazzy Star rules.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I like what the above poster said about the jump scares being at least interesting because the main characters aren't immediately terrified. It gives a sense of how lovely it would be to have to actively filter out visuals like that, just to live your life.

It's pretty terrifying really. Not the scares themselves, but the thought of living like that. Jesus.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
The mining company dug up a Wendigo that moonlights as a biological warfare scientist working on a virus. We can get the best of both worlds.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For being such an ominous and evil presence in the town, the mine hasn’t really done anything especially evil in the series so far, other than poison the water supply. The mine owner/head administrator seems pretty reasonable in all appearances so far. I can’t really blame her for wanting to prosecute someone for petty vandalism or for hating a cop for personal reasons.

Maybe if we saw the private security goons busting protestors’ heads or workers being treated badly, but so far they’re no more evil than I imagine the local police are, which is to say plenty evil, but not in a notable way.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

For being such an ominous and evil presence in the town, the mine hasn’t really done anything especially evil in the series so far, other than poison the water supply. The mine owner/head administrator seems pretty reasonable in all appearances so far. I can’t really blame her for wanting to prosecute someone for petty vandalism or for hating a cop for personal reasons.

Maybe if we saw the private security goons busting protestors’ heads or workers being treated badly, but so far they’re no more evil than I imagine the local police are, which is to say plenty evil, but not in a notable way.

It is yet another effect of there being way too many characters and too many side plots. It's hard to care about anything when it's given 5 minutes of screen time over 4 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

DangerDongs posted:

This series exists already, sort of (creepy poo poo caused by disturbing an ancient lifeform in bumfuck nowhere north of the arctic circle):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortitude_(TV_series)

It's pretty good.

edit: I only just realised Eccleston is in this too. Huh.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 5, 2024