Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

that baseball ep is amazing they pull the hood off a klan member to reveal an alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

personally i would have hired a film genius

Wes Anderson's Deadpool

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
ryan gaynolds

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

tristeham posted:

ryan gaynolds

Penis Reynolds

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

rim reynolds

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ryan badnolds

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grammy's keeps snubbing the 'loud' Carter family.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:hmmno: ryan reynolds
:hmmyes: andrew reynolds

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I bet Fincher's about at the point where he'd shut up and take the marvel bucks

he's probably at the point where he's gonna need another mass-market hit to keep his passion project funding coming in

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah online nerd circles started bad and had to be dragged kicking and screaming into some level of acceptance. would you say that experience was generalized across more normie spaces or not?

I wouldn't know I was only really in the online nerd circles (hey chud.com lol). Still am to this day.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah online nerd circles started bad and had to be dragged kicking and screaming into some level of acceptance. would you say that experience was generalized across more normie spaces or not?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the email domains of @news.virgin.com and @sex.com

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
1997 was a wild time

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

he's probably at the point where he's gonna need another mass-market hit to keep his passion project funding coming in

How have his Netflix shows been?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Mindhunter was fun and portrays criminal psychological profiling as about as useful as a party trick

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I saw the Killer and. like someone here told me, it was like a Melville movie, but less fun and less cool.

Given all the Netflix stuff he has done, I was wondering if Fincher was that bad off at all. It seems like he found a decent niche. Mank got a ton of nominations too, so I don't think he's lost respect within the industry.

EDIT: I didn't know he produced the Netflix House of Cards remake. The guy's probably set for life.

I mean, if it got really bad, he could start doing Madonna videos again...

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Mindhunter was fun and portrays criminal psychological profiling as about as useful as a party trick

one of the best docu-series imho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

1997 was a wild time

So horribly and publicly horny lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Quick note: absolutely do not watch this on a date

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yup. Shame it got axed

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
mindhunter's contempt of criminal profiling was very refreshing, yes. i remember one part where anna torv's character is like "you ever notice how we don't ask the serial killers the same questions, so we don't have any way of comparing their answers?" and the other characters are like "... huh" and then they change nothing lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
it's a show that admits the main reason cops like to do it is that you get to have Manhunter-like monologues where you say things like "you enjoyed watching them, didn't you? You sick son of a bitch"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

fincher mentioned once that he was approached to do sony/toby macguire spider man but refused, but just now i read that he pitched the studio and they thought his idea was dumb

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

What I'm saying is Hazbin Hotel is dumb trash, though this is probably not a shock.

go on

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

SomethingBeautiful posted:

that baseball ep is amazing they pull the hood off a klan member to reveal an alien

yeah I just happened to rewatch that one recently.

Also another good one I saw recently was the on where the kid from the sandlot plays a vampire, it also has Luke Wilson in it.
The best part is Mulder and Scully get a chance to both describe independently what happened and it's funny to see the differences in their perspectives and how they view each other.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Even if they did want to go a more action way they could of tried to do a remake of the much beloved 1999 The Mummy. A fun slightly campy adventure thing with slight horror tones. Even gives you the start of a hero team with an ex military adventure guy with a slightly shady past and a librarian for research, and it's even set in the 1920's. Slightly late for some of the universal monsters but a period that could work pretty well.

sorry brendan fraser personally ruined that whole theory of blockbuster filmmaking by not being enough of a team player to man up and endure sexual harassment

dont worry tho he got an oscar for playing a really fat guy so thankfully that shameful era of hollywood is completely behind us now

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

UFOTacoMan posted:

Also another good one I saw recently was the on where the kid from the sandlot plays a vampire, it also has Luke Wilson in it.
The best part is Mulder and Scully get a chance to both describe independently what happened and it's funny to see the differences in their perspectives and how they view each other.

that's one of the best

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well, there’s no reason quite a few of the principles should be consigned to Hell, for one thing: “… implies that she fell in love, and her partner either roped her into drugs and prostitution or she fell into that life despite his best efforts to help her get better, but either way it's strongly implied that she died of an overdose much like Angel, and figures that she's come too far and might as well raise Hell since she's stuck there for good.”

At best, maybe, purgation for mortal sins that were not atoned for in life, but most of these people are there for venial sins, and of them, a lot of them seem to have been out of their control or misunderstandings.

Also the theatre kid energy.

e: Barlowe's Inferno can be equally cringy in terms of trying to look like Frank Frazetta/Bosch/Dali, but at least there’s an understanding of what constitutes a sin.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Feb 5, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Aglet56 posted:

mindhunter's contempt of criminal profiling was very refreshing, yes. i remember one part where anna torv's character is like "you ever notice how we don't ask the serial killers the same questions, so we don't have any way of comparing their answers?" and the other characters are like "... huh" and then they change nothing lol

Woah only now realising that it wasn't Carrie Coon in Mindhunter lmao

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

UFOTacoMan posted:

yeah I just happened to rewatch that one recently.

Lmao yeah the differences in Owen Wilson's character is great, I feel like I've seen the multiple perspectives thing done elsewhere but mostly in animated stuff

xfiles actually did comedy eps pretty well, I like the burt Reynolds one a lot. and the one with Peter Boyle although that's more darkly comedic

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Aglet56 posted:

drat I guess I should watch more of it because after the first episode I was left with the impression that it was gonna be Profiling Is Actually Good: The Show

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ymgve posted:

I was left with the impression that it was gonna be Profiling Is Actually Good: The Show

ive never seen it in the first place but same lol. on paper just sounded like yet another smart Dr House guy tracks down evil criminals through smart profiling or w/e so i skipped it even though i love fincher

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

Woah only now realising that it wasn't Carrie Coon in Mindhunter lmao

easy on the slurs pal

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Xaris posted:

ive never seen it in the first place but same lol. on paper just sounded like yet another smart Dr House guy tracks down evil criminals through smart profiling or w/e so i skipped it even though i love fincher

naw it's more about the development of profiling, they do a lot of interviews of killers that have already been caught. I don't feel like it takes a strong stance either way but it does show the shoddy unscientific way it was developed

it's worth a watch all the performances are great and there's a lot of personal stuff outside of their job. Would've been interesting to see what they would've done with btk going forward, he didn't get caught for like another 20 years and only because of his own fuckup

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
its a shame mindhunter caught the two season netflix curse

but its appropriate that the show ends with the fbi guys getting left by their wives/gfs without catching anyone

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Speaking of Anna Torv I think I will illegally steal Fringe and watch that again. I remember it being really good at first then really funny bad later on

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DaysBefore posted:

Speaking of Anna Torv I think I will illegally steal Fringe and watch that again. I remember it being really good at first then really funny bad later on

it was a pretty good show. the first half of season 1 is really bad and rocky as they were figuring out WTF to do, then it gets good by the end of season 1. season 2 is very good. season 3 is also good. then it gets kinda dumb at 4 and i think it was a bit weak at the end

and so many plot lines that were just dropped lol

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't think Mindhunters really has a position on profiling, it's just surprisingly historically accurate in that it shows the FBI falling on its face when it really happened. But you definitely walk away from the show thinking profiling is a real tool and not pseudoscience.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Has anyone really explained that wave of American serial killers though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Has anyone really explained that wave of American serial killers though?

David McGowan

:shepface: