Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kim "Something Awful" Dotcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zoobtro posted:

his butt

Buttplug battery banks are the future

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

🔥

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Kim "Something Awful" Dotcom

KDC is proof positive that a mediocre white guy will just never truly go away because he was a washed up hasbeen a decade ago and he's still hanging around for some reason.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

smdh Tracy Chapman don't even got a blue check

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh that’s sad, I thought Kim dotcom was cool.

Lol his whole wikipedia page is controversies and arrests so I guess that's kinda cool

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

nine-gear crow posted:

Now's probably a great time for everyone to listen to the Behind The Bastards two-parter on the Cult of AI, because the second part in particular delves into why poo poo like what this dillhole is proposing is doomed to fail in about a million different and uniquely terrible ways:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-tech-bros-have-built-146544960/
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-two-tech-bros-have-built-147032788/

Basically what this moron is suggesting is a news version of Nothing, Forever, the AI-powered infinite Seinfeld episode and then very quickly faded into irrelevance because Large Language Model-based generative AIs don't have the capacity to be funny or independently creative, so it just gets boring as poo poo very quickly. So what I'm saying is that it's absolutely perfect for chuds like that with no media literacy to keep them occupied and complacent. It's Cocomelon for adult-shaped assholes.

I thought that got shut down because it said something offensive, and they yanked the cord. And then, by the time they got it good to put back up, interest had wandered off and nobody bothered coming back to look.

Also, it being nonsensical, unfunny, blandness was just being true to the source material.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
AI TV. Good thing nobody else has an algorithm suggestion engine, for music, video, or news. Because, those seem kind of useful, and the first to market with that sort of product would be in an enviable position.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

morningdrew posted:

smdh Tracy Chapman don't even got a blue check

It's a shame there's no way to identify an account as legitimate. Maybe like a yellow asterisk to denote the user has been validated.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Slo-Tek posted:

AI TV. Good thing nobody else has an algorithm suggestion engine, for music, video, or news. Because, those seem kind of useful, and the first to market with that sort of product would be in an enviable position.

That weird AI Seinfeld stream on Twitch got numbers Elon could only dream of for X Videos lol

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

digital penitence posted:

Can you even call it a "beard"? He's like a 13 year old trying to grow facial hair. It's disgusting. And his eyebrows, wtf.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 5, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What did Banks call him? Thin lipped and pig skinned ?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Other way around, imo. Pig lipped, thin skinned.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

quote:

In 2018, Banks wrote in a series of tweets that she had been trapped in a “real-life episode” of the Jordan Peele film Get Out, after being left alone for days in Musk’s Los Angeles mansion. Banks had been invited to the mansion by Grimes, Musk’s girlfriend, to record a song. Banks also claimed that an infamous Musk tweet, in which he teased taking his company Tesla private at $420 a share, was written while Musk was “on acid”

lol

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

My Kim dotcom file includes

made awesome site to download tons of LINUX ISOS for free

Got harassed by the fbi or something and escaped the law

got super rich somehow and bought cool cars and csgo skins

Admittedly I’ve not followed up on his exploits recently
DDoS’d a gaming ISP I did part time work for because he kept getting booted off Quake 2 servers for aimbotting.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Didn't Trump try to pin the Hillary emails thing on Kim '400lbs hacker on his mom's bed somewhere' Dotcom forever ago?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

digital penitence posted:

He's still wearing that jacket, huh?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The massive rainstorm event in California seems like a good test for alternative social media. From what I've seen in various weather chats, it looks like Twitter's on it as usual, with lots of people actively posting photos and videos of high water and flooding. I pulled up Bluesky and searched a couple of the typical hashtags, and you get like ten posts since yesterday, there's just nothing there. It's like a ghost town, it just seems depressing for keeping up with current events :rip:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

The massive rainstorm event in California seems like a good test for alternative social media. From what I've seen in various weather chats, it looks like Twitter's on it as usual, with lots of people actively posting photos and videos of high water and flooding. I pulled up Bluesky and searched a couple of the typical hashtags, and you get like ten posts since yesterday, there's just nothing there. It's like a ghost town, it just seems depressing for keeping up with current events :rip:

I've found things have gotten pretty regional. I expect california would be well handled by twitter due to all the tech bros. I've heard of other regions in the past year where all people could find on twitter was tourism ads.

For my area I've had to rely on reddit for this kind of thing recently.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Captain Hygiene posted:

What about Threads?

I don't have an account on any of them, but these are my impressions from the outside

Mastodon: geek dork kingdom, probably won't ever go mainstream because what the gently caress is federated timelines, how do you even sign up. Is it good, bad? Who knows! (only furries who figured it out)

BlueSky: tiny geek minority that remembers when twitter was cool in like 2009 and are trying to relive their glory days so bad it's cringeworthy (Mean Girls vibe)

Threads: lame but they got 100 million users right from the start, if it doesn't work here... main problem is they're in love with "THE ALGORITHM" which is great to keep people addicted, but not so great at showing breaking news (is there even a "latest posts" timeline view?)

Right now, to me, it looks like nobody's gonna replicate twitter peak usefulness again for a long time, if ever. Best hope for me a few months ago was that Elon quits and someone decent buys it for pennies, but who the gently caress is going to go near that trash fire at this point

fake edit: Sorry I forgot TRUTH Social, I change my answer to that :v: by this truth

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

[

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot about Threads, I haven't touched it since making a "just in case" account. Looks like it's slightly more active than Bluesky for this, but still nothing like I'd expect from Twitter for a notable weather event. And yeah, the feed is just mixing in stuff from over the last day so it's tough to get much of a real-time feel.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Threads is cool if you're interested in adverts. I am not interested in adverts(beyond the ones I issue to drive people to listen to my music on spotify and itunes)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

coconono posted:

Threads is cool if you're interested in adverts. I am not interested in adverts(beyond the ones I issue to drive people to listen to my music on spotify and itunes)

PM/Post your link and I'll throw in a like or something :cheers:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Probably because people don't tend to use hashtags like on twitter

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:staredog:

Sounds like he needs his own thread

No, this is very much the thread he belongs in.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Saoshyant posted:

https://twitter.com/Teslaconomics/status/1754199840156987861

Also, bonus points for the techbro doing techbro things like walking through a parking lot, unable to see moving cars and thinking he looks kwel.

These are the perfect kinds of dorks to rob. Has money, completely unaware of their surroundings.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Probably because people don't tend to use hashtags like on twitter

Yeah, that was part of what made Twitter so good for stuff like that, it cuts through so much search-related crap if everyone just uses consistent hashtags.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PM/Post your link and I'll throw in a like or something :cheers:

linktree in my profile and signature

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
As a huge fan of VR I want to push this fucker over and laugh at him flailing around in a passthrough nightmare haze

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

These are the perfect kinds of dorks to rob. Has money, completely unaware of their surroundings.

I'm fixating on the weird two arm door close.

Is the door really heavy?
Is he really weak?
Is it supposed to be cool?
It's definitely not so i hope that's not it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm fixating on the weird two arm door close.

Is the door really heavy?
Is he really weak?
Is it supposed to be cool?
It's definitely not so i hope that's not it.

He thinks it's cool. Do you think the gestures he is making is anything beyond performative?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Songbearer posted:

As a huge fan of VR I want to push this fucker over and laugh at him flailing around in a passthrough nightmare haze

I like the VR workspace stuff but I would never do that poo poo in public. I hope all these dudes get the wrong kind of herpes

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

He thinks it's cool. Do you think the gestures he is making is anything beyond performative?

I just assumed the device is a bit poo poo and requires expansive gestures. But closing the door is simple

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I haven't used it but VR workplace software seems like a pointless waste of tech to me; a more efficient way for the boss to surveil and control you. As if we need that these days.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Saoshyant posted:

https://twitter.com/Teslaconomics/status/1754199840156987861

Also, bonus points for the techbro doing techbro things like walking through a parking lot, unable to see moving cars and thinking he looks kwel.

Oh gods drat it, I recognise that building in the back. One of these stupid things is near me.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

Azhais posted:

Buttplug battery banks are the future

The technical term is "power bottom."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Does anyone else think the guy is probably just doing this as a bit to take advantage of the viral fervor over the other cyber truck videos?

It certainly seems to have worked out If so, I have seen that tweet shared in about 20 places just since this morning.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

That Works posted:

Does anyone else think the guy is probably just doing this as a bit to take advantage of the viral fervor over the other cyber truck videos?

It certainly seems to have worked out If so, I have seen that tweet shared in about 20 places just since this morning.

Lookin for that big ad share payout next month, maybe he'll get a few bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I haven't used it but VR workplace software seems like a pointless waste of tech to me; a more efficient way for the boss to surveil and control you. As if we need that these days.

too late for that, the cloud business stuff already gives control freaks their fix