Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

how can you expect the White Sox to financially compete in the backwoods hamlet of Chicago??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

euphronius posted:

Can he stick at SS?

According to savant he went from the worst fielding AL SS in 2022 to the best in 2023. He passed the eye test too as someone who watched about 20 Royals games last year

He probably should have won the GG if the voters didn't throw Volpe a bone.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1754579736007782833

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That's a really good deal for Witt. Not saying it's bad for the Royals, just comparing it to all the other young players getting locked up for less money.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Popete posted:

That's a really good deal for Witt. Not saying it's bad for the Royals, just comparing it to all the other young players getting locked up for less money.

He can opt out after 7 years (and almost certainly will barring his body turning to glass like Mondesi) but even locking him up for 7 years is a huge turn from the usual pattern of trading away talent when it gets expensive.

I'm so stoked! Looking forward to maybe finishing third this year!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine spending that much money on Witt when the true KC superstar is going to be Nelson Velasquez.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can anyone imaging a scenario where he picks up those player option years and then the club exercises it’s option ?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

someone fax this deal to every player in the Braves org

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

someone fax this deal to every player in the Braves org

If I was Ozzie Albie's I would have a hard time not feeling very upset with the Braves FO

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kevin Pillar took a minor league deal with the White Sox (worth $3m if he makes the team, which he should.)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Popete posted:

If I was Ozzie Albie's I would have a hard time not feeling very upset with the Braves FO

They owe him an aquarium, and also a big extension. Edit: I did not realize it was 7 yrs with club options. I get taking the money, but I really hope the Braves five him some megabucks x2 also

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

What are the cubs doing

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/DannyVietti/status/1754568549077856735

Yeah but we also said this about Mike Trout

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hit Man posted:

What are the cubs doing

Waiting for the Boras clients like everyone else.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Kevin Pillar took a minor league deal with the White Sox (worth $3m if he makes the team, which he should.)

What happened to Pillar? He was fun as hell to watch in Toronto.

Just age and his reckless playstyle catching up with him?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I hope Witt turns into the beast that OOTP always projects him to be.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

He's 35 and has exactly one season in his career with an OPS+ above 100, at 106

His value has always been the glove and at that age it's in decline too

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hit Man posted:

What are the cubs doing

Thinking bout that 83 win season.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Hit Man posted:

What are the cubs doing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popete posted:

I know holdouts aren't a thing in baseball but Acuna Jr making 17 million a year for his 26-31 year old seasons is going to cause some sort of situation with that team.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hit Man posted:

What are the cubs doing

Trying to "intelligently spend" which in practice means not going after star FA's they desperately need and insisting that this will be the year that the farm delivers sustainable high impact talent, no for realsies this time!

No real 1B? It's fine we'll trade for Michael Busch because he's cheap and can probably hit. Maybe.
No real 3B? It's fine Shaw's not gonna hit a single wall in AA/AAA and lock down 3B long term by mid-season after being drafted... last summer.
No real CF? It's fine PCA's gonna be ready for opening day, ignore the very obvious ares of needed development that got exposed last year. And hey I'm sure TAUCHMANIA will repeat itself in a pinch.
Stroman is gone? Don't worry an extreme flyball pitcher who gave up too many HR's *in Japan* will surely be the savior (fwiw I actually like Imanaga quite a bit on paper, but also lmao)
The entire pen is built on hopes and dreams? Just gotta add a cheap, crust vet coming off a fluky good season who'll surely repeat and rev up the ~pitch lab~ to fill in the rest of the gaps!

Sorry, what was that you just said? Cody Bellinger? Matt Chapman? Sorry Tom Ricketts doesn't know what a "Jordan Montgomery" is but it sounds expensive, and Trump's Super PAC isn't gonna fund itself this year!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

The shame of being a bigot caught up to him

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I know holdouts aren't a thing in baseball but Acuna Jr making 17 million a year for his 26-31 year old seasons is going to cause some sort of situation with that team.

It feels like they took advantage of Acuna and Albies and as more and more young guys are signing long term extensions like Witt for more money I have to imagine it irks them. Acuna Jr just won MVP and Albies is gonna make 7 million this year which is almost criminal.

I almost feel like the Braves should give Albies in particular a bunch of incentives that will likelly payout just as a form of "we're sorry for low balling you so badly".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I almost feel like the Braves should give Albies in particular a bunch of incentives that will likelly payout just as a form of "we're sorry for low balling you so badly".

They don't need to though. They have Albies locked up through age 30 and it's not like them having taken him for a ride has impacted the Braves' ability to get other extensions done. From the FO's perspective it's just business. Sure maybe Albies holds a grudge and isn't interested in coming back but that's not a problem until the 2027 offseason.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Braves will do none of that, more likely both Acuña and Albies walk at the end of their deals and Atlanta fans trash them both as "ungrateful" or whatever, mocking whatever teams sign them for an "idiotic overpay" etc

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

They don't need to though. They have Albies locked up through age 30 and it's not like them having taken him for a ride has impacted the Braves' ability to get other extensions done. From the FO's perspective it's just business. Sure maybe Albies holds a grudge and isn't interested in coming back but that's not a problem until the 2027 offseason.

Disgruntled employees, especially if they're critical, high performing employees, are a major problem in any and every work environment. Sports are no different. I know here in 2024 we're supposed to believe that sports and especially baseball are played by stat-generating robots who perform the same no matter how miserable an experience their workplace is every day, but

e: But don't get me wrong, Man Oh Day would the other 29 owners flip the gently caress out if the Braves just gave Albies a big raise just because he's vastly overperforming his salary and they want to keep him happy.

e2:

AndrewP posted:

so anyway this is why people hire Scott Boras

Yes, this

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 6, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

so anyway this is why people hire Scott Boras

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: But don't get me wrong, Man Oh Day would the other 29 owners flip the gently caress out if the Braves just gave Albies a big raise just because he's vastly overperforming his salary and they want to keep him happy.

didn't the Royals kinda do this with Salvy Perez?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

bawfuls posted:

The Braves will do none of that, more likely both Acuña and Albies walk at the end of their deals and Atlanta fans trash them both as "ungrateful" or whatever, mocking whatever teams sign them for an "idiotic overpay" etc

shut the gently caress up bawfuls

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

Disgruntled employees, especially if they're critical, high performing employees, are a major problem in any and every work environment. Sports are no different. I know here in 2024 we're supposed to believe that sports and especially baseball are played by stat-generating robots who perform the same no matter how miserable an experience their workplace is every day, but

If Albies is disgruntled it is certainly not showing in his performance, nor is he dissuading any of his peers from inking extensions. :shrug:

Like yeah I agree that a vocally disgruntled and dispirited voice can kill the clubhouse, but that just doesn't seem to be happening as of right now even though Albies objectively got hosed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

If they felt pressured to pay him more, they'd offer him an extension that reworks his remaining years

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

mcmagic posted:

They finished 19 games out of first last year. One guy might make that up but I doubt it.

What about one guy plus Joe Maddon?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Do fans still get mad at players for leaving for a ton of money? Feels like fans know when their teams are being cheap these days.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There was an Angels fan on twitter in December mad at Ohtani for leaving.

There will always be some subset of fans drinking ownership kool-aid.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ohtani'll get a standing ovation when he actually returns to Angels Stadium.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

live with fruit posted:

Ohtani'll get a standing ovation when he actually returns to Angels Stadium.

because the 3000-person crowd will be 90% dodger fans

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh more than 3000 Dodgers fans will show up down there

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bawfuls posted:

oh more than 3000 Dodgers fans will show up down there

the standing o will be in the first inning, silly.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Of the Braves’ extensions, Albies is really the only one that was a gross underpay at the time

Obviously Acuna’s looks like a steal too, but that’s only in retrospect. He had a lot less of a track record at the time, and signing him long-term was more of a risk. He ultimately would have made more going year-to-year and rushing FA, but he signed for $100k out of Venezuela, so I can’t blame him for getting a guaranteed payday instead of betting on his health

To a lesser degree, the same is true of Harris II. He wasn’t a particularly high draft pick and his service time could be measured in weeks, not years. A lot of time for things to go wrong for him before he cashed in

Olson, Riley, Strider, and Murphy are basically market value given their service time. People talk like the Braves got one over on these guys, but really, it’s only Ozzie who should have a chat with his agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mr. Fix It posted:

the standing o will be in the first inning, silly.

lmao