Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

TheFluff posted:

Friday Facts #396 - Sound improvements in 2.0

They're polishing things so much, jeez. Love those alien frog sounds at night

New train sounds are excellent, and I'm excited to see what a factory going at full tilt will sound like.

Can't say I like the new inventory sounds tho. It's very, hmm, 90s Sierra adventure game? It's gimmicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They didn't answer the most important question: Is Honk now included?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I started Freight Forwarding because I was intrigued by the premise and yeah this mod also slaps. Making goods transportation the puzzle really tickles by brain in a fun way.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

M_Gargantua posted:

They didn't answer the most important question: Is Honk now included?

Choleric cars should be a vanilla feature

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SettingSun posted:

I started Freight Forwarding because I was intrigued by the premise and yeah this mod also slaps. Making goods transportation the puzzle really tickles by brain in a fun way.

Some of the shine has worn off for me. The basic logistics puzzles (refueling trains, getting containers where they need to be) just feel tedious now.

Or I'm missing some elegant way to solve them.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's always a 'better' way to do a Factorio my mans.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Perhaps. I'm still early and just started sea routes for oil. It's neat. And I needed something close to vanilla as a palate cleanser when I'm not doing co-op SE.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Solumin posted:

Some of the shine has worn off for me. The basic logistics puzzles (refueling trains, getting containers where they need to be) just feel tedious now.

Or I'm missing some elegant way to solve them.

It's good but i never want to deal with those shipping containers ever again. The first time you set up a working loop it's pretty fun, but if you make a mistake down the line you have to bug hunt travel over huge distances of land and sea to find the cause. If you never make mistakes it's the perfect mod!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

I have about 200 hours into a co-op Space Exploration game and on the one hand, I have never been more addicted to Factorio, and on the other this gets more daunting each session. We're in the middle of the space sciences: Astro3, Material2, Energy2, and Bio1. We wanted to make a push into Astro4 but Astro3 greatly increased our beryllium demand. We make about 800 ingots/hour and we need way more, especially since I want to mess around with spaceship design now too. It's the dominant ore in only one place in our solar system and that's the asteroid belt. We just need so, so much more. And we need to switch all our Nauvis near orbit logistics to space elevator trains (the elevator is another beryllium sink). And we need to automate more cargo rocket delivery. And we need to unfuck Nauvis supply lines. And...

10/10 mod but my brain hurts.

Once You actually get into space, and find the asteroid belt, I think the first one, you can feed two birds with one stone, that asteroid belt is probably a better place to set up your first space factories, even if you got a start in nauvis orbit, mainly for the byrellium, not to mention the fixer-upper, you probably want to focus on flat solars asap, and better life support, alternativly, live in your Space Spidertron. Something to bear in mind is: you can always use a capsule to descend to a planets surface if you are in orbit around it then you need to start your whole getting back up into space again, however, this time you can put a cargo catcher on the asteroid belt, and gradually transfer everything from nauvis you can use in space.

E:VVVV Yeah, its a toss up between easy continous access to Byrellium, or, practically everything else, with the Elevator, however, you are going to need to find cryonite soon as well, and thats going to want to be paired with the byrelllium too.
EE: what I bounced off the hardest in SE was all the catalogue research and so on earlier, this playthrough I think was way easier as aside from science for labs, I focussed on the modules, so I had a constant direction to go in, as opposed to "so much to decide on doing next"

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 7, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The issue for setting up first in the belt is that the space elevator tech makes Nauvis orbit incredibly lucrative. Once we got ours we all but eliminated the rocket that goes up there. We do have a decent setup in the belt now though mostly for the beryllium, but also to set up for one of the astro 4 data cards.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
So I did the bot mall loading storage chests with an inserter set to run if there was less than a target number of items in the chest and it got all hosed up due to not filtering my storage chests and random items getting throw in there. Bunch of robot frames in my assembler chest meant no assemblers, etc. I had the inserter signal set to everything so I didn't have to configure each one but I'm learning that was a bad idea.

Should I run the inserter off the logistic system contents instead of the chest, filter the chests, or both?

e: Does it make more sense to disable the input inserter so you dont have extra stuff sitting in the assembler and finished products waiting to but unloaded? Doesnt matter for small stuff but nice not to have extra reactors etc sitting around.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 8, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Insert into either Passive or Active providers. Those are "retrieve" only. You can have storage chests elsewhere or nearby, since bots can both take or drop off things in them.

For the inserter you can either tie it to the logistics network, and have it insert if < desired in the network.

Or you can use a wire to link it to the chest, and trigger < off of that, which sometimes makes more sense for a mall incase you want to run up and grab something it will always be there. Doesn't matter if you have 3000 electric mining drills in various storage chests when you run up and want to grab a stack from the mall "right now"

You should never care about materials sitting in an assembling machine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hard disagree; there is zero reason to build infra on places like asteroid belts and other planets in space exploration beyond what it takes to mine and possibly do the lower levels of refining to save space on rockets/spaceships. The game is designed to pull in raw resources and refine them in a central area and that's absolutely nauvis orbit due to the space elevator. Research is done through small probe launches and just produces cards so there's zero reason why you would build up stuff far away from nauvis instead of just sending the blank cards out.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

So I did the bot mall loading storage chests with an inserter set to run if there was less than a target number of items in the chest and it got all hosed up due to not filtering my storage chests and random items getting throw in there. Bunch of robot frames in my assembler chest meant no assemblers, etc. I had the inserter signal set to everything so I didn't have to configure each one but I'm learning that was a bad idea.

Should I run the inserter off the logistic system contents instead of the chest, filter the chests, or both?

e: Does it make more sense to disable the input inserter so you dont have extra stuff sitting in the assembler and finished products waiting to but unloaded? Doesnt matter for small stuff but nice not to have extra reactors etc sitting around.
You don't want to run inserters off logistic system contents because it's not accurate when things are in transit or you lose power, but if you have direct-connected a wire to a storage chest that's not logistic system contents it's that chest's contents. I do both and do not rely on only filtered slots. If you use the more paste settings mod it does this for you in one click, you can copy from the assembler to the output inserter and also the storage chest very quickly.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In my co-op SE game my partner is addicted to making whole bases on other planets even though there really is no reason to do that beyond bringing back what you want from it. "I'm out of inserters" "Send some in a resupply rocket" "No I'm going to make a mall here." "You fool our only mission there was to bring back iridium. You've been down there for 20 hours making solar panels for some reason"

The roadmap for SE says the dev really wants to decentralize science by making it a requirement to do more of it on specific exoplanets, which I think would be neat if not as clean as just making the near orbit a giant space platform. I want to make a mostly self sufficient base in an asteroid belt as a stunt more than any other reason. Factorio is a matter of efficiency and optimization over most other things but sometimes I like doing things that are just cool.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When you've got bots/spidertrons and blueprints is exceptionally easy to just stamp down a basic base that handles the generic stuff. Good for people like me who are terrible at planning ahead.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

TengenNewsEditor posted:

It's good but i never want to deal with those shipping containers ever again. The first time you set up a working loop it's pretty fun, but if you make a mistake down the line you have to bug hunt travel over huge distances of land and sea to find the cause. If you never make mistakes it's the perfect mod!

That and the distances involved start to get real tedious in travelling back and forth getting a new build out. I made the mistake of shifting my base over to another island and it was several days before I got back to producing science again. I should have done the simple thing and kept centralizing production and only worry about extraction on the other islands but whoops there's now a saturated red built of red circuits 40 seconds by helicopter away.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

You did it the ideal way, you're just learning the hard way the last few bits.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I was thinking that if the assemblers output to a storage chest and the output inserter is wire controlled it means I won't end up with 3k rails in a separate storage chest I never use, instead they're in the box I expect to find them in when I run up to the mall. Outside of not setting filters and the wrong stuff ending up in my output boxes, what's the benefit of a passive provider vs a storage? It seems like this way stuff gets filtered back into my network a little better than if it gets parked in a random storage block I never think of looking in.

Also I asked a little while ago why my logistics trains weren't working in k2 and they started working all of a sudden, the same train now will build stuff which is cool.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

M_Gargantua posted:

Insert into either Passive or Active providers.

I, uh, maybe I have the titles for the different chests wrong but those are purple chests which always want to be empty, yeah?

Use those for mall outputs if you like making stuff so much that you want your on-demand production to be always-on production.

e: ^^^ inserter wired to a filtered storage chest is the intended use mode for the functionality you want. You get more widgets if widgets ever drop below X, and as long as X isn’t nearly as large as the chest’s capacity it should just work

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I use buffer chests as my output for my mall, set to request nearly a full chest. Inserters just use the bot network for limiting, and extra item or 10 usually doesn’t matter if things are in flight. For things I do want more limited (like spiders) I do use wires.

I then have a bank of regular storage for if the buffers overflow (very likely as I ramp up rails and belts), but I always go to the buffer chest to refill manually if I am doing that.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

LonsomeSon posted:

I, uh, maybe I have the titles for the different chests wrong but those are purple chests which always want to be empty, yeah?

Use those for mall outputs if you like making stuff so much that you want your on-demand production to be always-on production.

e: ^^^ inserter wired to a filtered storage chest is the intended use mode for the functionality you want. You get more widgets if widgets ever drop below X, and as long as X isn’t nearly as large as the chest’s capacity it should just work

The only thing I've ever used an Active provider for is moving empty barrels and full heavy/light oil barrels to keep the oil from backing up. I haven't found any other major use

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I use them exclusively for waste and byproducts to get stuff out of the way.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Purple chests are for keeping outputs empty. There aren't really any waste outputs in vanilla (except spent nuclear fuel) but in SE for example if you do a lot of unbarreling of fluids you can't let the steel drums pile up in a red chest because that will stop the machine eventually if you don't consume the drums elsewhere fast enough.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah I should clarify that if you're using active providers you *must* tie the inserter to the logistics network not the chest.

Active providers in a mall are great if you have nearby buffer or filtered storage chests since it makes for a slightly more compact collection point. Good for stuff like belts where you generally want more than one assembling machine available to craft them in case you have a sudden demand surge.

Active providers are also good for train unloading.

Anywhere an output should never be blocked should be an active provider, as the bots will carry it away promptly. This is fantastic until you mess up and suddenly wonder why you've got 55,000 lamps jamming up your logistics network.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

That and the distances involved start to get real tedious in travelling back and forth getting a new build out. I made the mistake of shifting my base over to another island and it was several days before I got back to producing science again. I should have done the simple thing and kept centralizing production and only worry about extraction on the other islands but whoops there's now a saturated red built of red circuits 40 seconds by helicopter away.

Oh my god, I set up a new base by a lava pool to prepare for endgame, but it turns out you need a "large" lava pool to actually produce titansteel. That set me back about 10-15 hours.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

why you've got 55,000 lamps jamming up your logistics network.

I love lamp

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Help me budget here’s what I have now

• 50 inserters
  • 10 assemblers
  • 50,000 lights
  • 10 smelters

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Me who beelines NVGs and never bothers with light production, steadfastly ignoring the blinking demand for 55,000 lights from blueprints I got online

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Eh, you know what’s easier to get than more space in my equipment grid? Enough juice for 50,000 lights

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The nvg filter alone is enough for me put lights down everywhere.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Seriously, I really hate it. Give me rich, lush, naturally-sourced artificial light all night long.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
This is why I use that afraid of the dark mod to just do away with dark entirely

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Playing satisfactory for the first time, just wanted to praise factorio for not making early game power depend on a resource you have to acquire manually, in an automation game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair to Satisfactory, by the time it becomes too annoying to hand feed burners you should be moving to coal power. Lay down more than you need so each one proportionally uses less fuel.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Eediot Jedi posted:

Playing satisfactory for the first time, just wanted to praise factorio for not making early game power depend on a resource you have to acquire manually, in an automation game.

This is a time honored expression in this thread and elsewhere too. The practical answer is build a bunch more so you have to refill them less frequently in larger batches.

The real answer is it’s on purpose to make you appreciate the need for automation.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Wait until you realize that essentially everything in Satisfactory is deliberate drudgery. The devs aren't just bad designers, they're assholes.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

There was a Satisfactory mod which added a second burner Gen which was identical except it had a belt input sort of weirdly located on it. (e: also cost more)

Once all burners can be fueled by a single storage can it feels a lot less bad to take care of. You can even link a standard leaves/wood -> biomass -> biofuel log setup directly to your power so you’re just sorting foliage types in one end and getting burner power out the other.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Or you just start at tech level 3 and do coal straight away

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I should go poo poo up the satisfactory thread, thanks for advice.

SettingSun posted:

To be fair to Satisfactory, by the time it becomes too annoying to hand feed burners you should be moving to coal power. Lay down more than you need so each one proportionally uses less fuel.

As a first time player trying to go in blind, wanting to move to coal didn't mean I could get there any time soon. I've just got it unlocked, went for a huuuuuuge walk up some sizable cliffs to go and look at some coal nodes.

LonsomeSon posted:

There was a Satisfactory mod which added a second burner Gen which was identical except it had a belt input sort of weirdly located on it. (e: also cost more)

That sounds exactly like what I imagined would happen. I had automated the production of solid biofuel, had extra generators, it was still loving annoying to get yanked out of thinking about production lines to feed them or to go get wood.

Paracausal posted:

Or you just start at tech level 3 and do coal straight away

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

necrotic posted:

Help me budget here’s what I have now

• 50 inserters
  • 10 assemblers
  • 50,000 lights