Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
seems to me that kids need to be shown a few times how to do something because most humans learn socially from other people and that's how we generally learn skills and concepts. especially when they're younger there's a lot of repetition of the same thing and eventually it clicks

at some point yeah, you can encourage a kid that's asking you to do the same thing for the fiftieth time "you got this, you can do it yourself" like my kid asking me to draw yet another rainbow and/or baby shark. i don't know if it's really reasonable to ask anyone to figure something out completely on their own unless they want to.

but yeah that guy sounds like a weird dude and terrible teacher, it's only abusive if he locked his daughter up until she opened the beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
imagine being a kid at that age and not just googling "how to use a can opener" (were there rules she had to follow?).

my kids just shout questions at the iPad all the time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My child has never used Google. I am a monster

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kids just shout questions at the iPad all the time.

Oh smartie~~~~

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

got hit with my first spelling attempt. my toddlers very lazy with her consonants and when I was struggling to understand her, she said “no! SIDEWALK! S-O-O-….uhhh”. which brings me to my next point, careful laughing at a toddler who can understand you are laughing at something she did, which is very hard sometimes

hubris.height posted:

any tips on how to be good dad

unfortunately not.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Jan 31, 2024

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my 5 year old is learning to read and getting upset at not being perfect at it already. for example she got really mad when i asked what the episode title was in bluey and she read it right and before i could say 'nice job' she was already upset she got it wrong

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dreylad posted:

seems to me that kids need to be shown a few times how to do something because most humans learn socially from other people and that's how we generally learn skills and concepts.

unrelated to your experience but as a PSA.

if this something one’s child has a problem with, goto the nuero psychologist sooner rather than later. Asymmetrical development is a real pain in the rear end that will cause them huge frustrations and one cannot count on pediatricians or educators to tell you what’s actually going on (teachers will know but can’t say, district psychs are trying to minimize services needed). there were a half dozen folks we asked: Does he have autism? That should have known and missed it, because there were no verbal issues.

if they don’t do the learn from other’s examples thing and skills seem to happen out of order (and early is also out of order) it’s very much worth looking into.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

unrelated to your experience but as a PSA.

if this something one’s child has a problem with, goto the nuero psychologist sooner rather than later. Asymmetrical development is a real pain in the rear end that will cause them huge frustrations and one cannot count on pediatricians or educators to tell you what’s actually going on (teachers will know but can’t say, district psychs are trying to minimize services needed). there were a half dozen folks we asked: Does he have autism? That should have known and missed it, because there were no verbal issues.

if they don’t do the learn from other’s examples thing and skills seem to happen out of order (and early is also out of order) it’s very much worth looking into.

That's really good to know. Thanks!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought sneaker drops were poo poo, my wife showed me the drop for some 75 dollar blanket today.
Wtf is a little sleepy and why can't I wash them with everything else

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

hubris.height posted:

my 5 year old is learning to read and getting upset at not being perfect at it already. for example she got really mad when i asked what the episode title was in bluey and she read it right and before i could say 'nice job' she was already upset she got it wrong

If you read together, my son adored the game of "dad misreads a word and gives him a moment between words to correct him" it teaches that reading is a thing where mistakes happen and makes being read to a less passive activity.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

hubris.height posted:

my 5 year old is learning to read and getting upset at not being perfect at it already.

Me playing any videogame

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
kid's 8th birthday today and she got her first kindle paperwhite

drat thing came out of the box knowing our wifi and had a profile already set up for her. She was downloading and reading a book within like 3 minutes of opening the package. she is completely enthralled. I'm going to spend the evening after bedtime sharing a bunch of books out of our family library. This is also clearly going to result in a few very cranky mornings before she learns reading under the covers has its practical limits

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ikanreed posted:

If you read together, my son adored the game of "dad misreads a word and gives him a moment between words to correct him" it teaches that reading is a thing where mistakes happen and makes being read to a less passive activity.

oh nice one, we read every night. i'll give that a shot, thanks

Microplastics posted:

Me playing any videogame

:same:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

fosborb posted:

kid's 8th birthday today and she got her first kindle paperwhite

drat thing came out of the box knowing our wifi and had a profile already set up for her. She was downloading and reading a book within like 3 minutes of opening the package. she is completely enthralled. I'm going to spend the evening after bedtime sharing a bunch of books out of our family library. This is also clearly going to result in a few very cranky mornings before she learns reading under the covers has its practical limits

thats awesome though. i really hope my kids love reading as much as i did growing up. it was so fun! i would even read the cereal box just because it had text on it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

hubris.height posted:

Push past it and help her build her confidence? My 6yo is really reluctant to ever be wrong, so starting out reading was very frustrating for her. Just had to keep helping her build up the confidence and skills, now she likes reading.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a few years ago my brother told me that he never liked reading as a kid because he wasnt as good at it as i was and pissed him off :(

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
When my mom was grocery shopping I would go to the magazine rack and read all of those words. I want to let my son do that when he's like 6-8 years old.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm trying to get my dad out of a funk/depression so I suggested we read a book together.

he wants to read The Wind In The Willows with me as I read it to my kids. not the angle I thought we would attack but I'm all for it. let's get on Mr Toad's Wild Ride together.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lobster shirt posted:

thats awesome though. i really hope my kids love reading as much as i did growing up. it was so fun! i would even read the cereal box just because it had text on it.

oh yeah, totally. she also got a paperback, grown up dictionary because she's constantly reading whatever she can get her hands on

this is also the kid who picked up her mom's copy of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and then told me she wasn't going to get shots at the doctor's because she has "a right to the freedom from fear"

she's never been a kid to try to sneak things like screens before, but I can tell if she doesn't tip toe downstairs to grab her new kindle tonight, she's going to wake up at like 4 am and do it then. its loving great

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought sneaker drops were poo poo, my wife showed me the drop for some 75 dollar blanket today.
Wtf is a little sleepy and why can't I wash them with everything else

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Caught my younger kid sneaking granola bars to school this morning. Didn't ask directly but piecing it together apparently they've been sharing their snacks with friends at school and wanted to bring in more. Impressively they started organizing last evening, scurrying from the kitchen with pencil cases filled with bars that they stored in a temporary location overnight to be transferred to their school bag this morning only after I'd packed their lunch. They denied any wrongdoing at all times. Very proud of my kid's first attempted smuggling ring tbh.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm trying to get my dad out of a funk/depression so I suggested we read a book together.

he wants to read The Wind In The Willows with me as I read it to my kids. not the angle I thought we would attack but I'm all for it. let's get on Mr Toad's Wild Ride together.
Mr Toad's an rear end in a top hat, I said it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we just met him and yeah he's kind of a rich prick with his big house that everyone knows not to compliment if he's within earshot.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My wife found a friend who from her Facebook groups who is similar background, similar class, similar travel circumstances, with similar aged children. Yesterday was the playdate for the kids and today is the playdate for the husbands. So I'm gonna go make friends just like how I tell my toddler to do.

Today's activity is boardgames. I'm listening to a playthrough of Apiary and I'm kinda excited to rough house with a fellow autist.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

good luck, have fun

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it's wild how "did you turn it off and turn it back on again?" is still a totally viable question and learned skill.

it solves almost all problems with modern toys

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's wild how "did you turn it off and turn it back on again?" is still a totally viable question and learned skill.

it solves almost all problems with modern toys

It solves a surprising number of problems in professional software development

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BONGHITZ posted:

good luck, have fun

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
and bee safe

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Vacation trip report: Child no longer eats (much) sand. Success!

Also I genuinely don't know how people do the whole infant in a lap situation on the plane. We've always tried to convey that nobody is ever allowed to leave their seat on a plane and that she has to stay in her car seat always. I rue the day we have to break that seal and she goes sprinting down the aisle.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Vacation trip report: Child no longer eats (much) sand. Success!

Also I genuinely don't know how people do the whole infant in a lap situation on the plane. We've always tried to convey that nobody is ever allowed to leave their seat on a plane and that she has to stay in her car seat always. I rue the day we have to break that seal and she goes sprinting down the aisle.

Doing this again today after doing it last week. Baby is 9 months old and not capable of walking, though; if he could walk we'd probably just buy him a ticket and stick him in a carseat.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dropped our kid off at daycare for the first time. Little guy can't even talk yet, it feels awful.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it'd be funny if today he suddenly decided to talk and his first words were "hey what da gently caress?"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

Dropped our kid off at daycare for the first time. Little guy can't even talk yet, it feels awful.

they adjust pretty quickly. we started daycare with my son when he was about a year old, he cried for about a week and then it became normal for him and he didnt seem to mind it.

except at pickup, one thing that i remember continued for a while is that when parents started picking their kids up he would cry because he wasnt the one getting picked up... even when it was me! poor kid.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

he would cry because he wasnt the one getting picked up... even when it was me! poor kid.

You picked up other kids just to taunt your son? You monster.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Because it's a modern operation the daycare sends us photos of the kid looking absolutely miserable every 15 minutes or so just to make sure we know

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
with my sick kid at an urgent care that used to be a hollywood video lol

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Because it's a modern operation the daycare sends us photos of the kid looking absolutely miserable every 15 minutes or so just to make sure we know

lmao

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

When my kids were younger often they'd be playing happily in the daycare and only start crying when they noticed me or my wife there to pick them up. It was like they only remembered they should be upset about being left in the daycare when they saw us. Or maybe they were just pissed off to see us.

That particular daycare self-destructed fairly spectacularly a few years ago due to owner shenanigans. I do not miss the daycare experience.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

spiritual bypass posted:

with my sick kid at an urgent care that used to be a hollywood video lol

love the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
every daycare is run by a controlling dipshit ime