Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zopotantor posted:

Totally real.

Yan, tan, tether, mether, pip, azer, sezar, akker, conter, DICK.

Bumfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

Totally real.

Yan, tan, tether, mether, pip, azer, sezar, akker, conter, DICK.

and that's numberwang!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Since I learned about the alternative way to count on your fingers, 12 per hand, 60 across both it's just become a thing I do. I can totally see it catching on once someone figured it out over the standard 1 to 10.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tunicate posted:

Except for the guys who would beat the poo poo out of you if you were cheating with your weights

Standardisation of weights and measures is a Big Deal, after all. Wouldn't be surprised if a specific counting/measuring system became dominant because that's what the ruling authority chose for those weights.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The scroll reading tech works: https://twitter.com/natfriedman/status/1754519304471814555

Should be able to do all of them finally. Lives of Famous Whores will soon be ours.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
My brother Ptolemy, Rehikles of Syracuse hails you! Let me begin by recalling the last scroll I sent, where I said that your honored mother is so fat that

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Grand Fromage posted:

The scroll reading tech works: https://twitter.com/natfriedman/status/1754519304471814555

Should be able to do all of them finally. Lives of Famous Whores will soon be ours.

Alas, Suetonius wrote after Vesuvius erupted so we may only get his sources. I'm hoping there's an unredacted edition of Trogus in there somewhere, though.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Ptolemy's biography of Alexander. Seriously. He was right there, start to finish. I don't think rediscovering it would have any great impact on our understanding of history but it'd be fascinating.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

Fully sick. This is gonna make a number of people’s careers

FishFood posted:

Alas, Suetonius wrote after Vesuvius erupted so we may only get his sources. I'm hoping there's an unredacted edition of Trogus in there somewhere, though.

Yeah sadly no Suetonius or Tacitus, but there could be all sorts of stuff in there. My fingers are crossed for Sallust’s History of the late republic. Or complete(r) Livy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently, every bit of text recovered so far (both this text, and the scrolls that were physically unraveled decades ago) were Epicurean philosophy. So we can expect a lot of that, probably.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Grand Fromage posted:

:shrug: looks all Greek to me.

Seriously though, this is fantastic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

This is super cool, and everyone should click through to the actual page (ideally bypassing Twitter in the process :v:): https://scrollprize.org/grandprize

Very slick explanation of the contest, the winners, and how you do it technically.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i wonder how much existing papyrii this kind of tech might apply to -- presumably most of the stuff that's preserved out there that isn't from Herculaneum probably didn't get turned into Basically Charcoal, but the letter detection/ink detection/machine learning to do those things might be applicable to other remaining preserved documents (or maybe at getting previously-written text from stuff that's erased and re-used)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Much of Pompeii has not been excavated yet so there is always hope

I would like the lost history of the Etruscans to be found

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PittTheElder posted:

This is super cool, and everyone should click through to the actual page (ideally bypassing Twitter in the process :v:): https://scrollprize.org/grandprize

Very slick explanation of the contest, the winners, and how you do it technically.

Also mentions here that there are lower, unexcavated levels of the villa perhaps containing yet more scrolls in addition to the 800 we already have.

vvv lol

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 5, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Apparently, every bit of text recovered so far (both this text, and the scrolls that were physically unraveled decades ago) were Epicurean philosophy. So we can expect a lot of that, probably.

It's a 2000 year old burn, we spent millions of dollars reading the scrolls and the first thing out is "Rarer stuff isn't better just because it's harder to find."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skasion posted:

Also mentions here that there are lower, unexcavated levels of the villa perhaps containing yet more scrolls in addition to the 800 we already have.

yeah i guess given how rare any preserved scroll of any kind is, just the existing ones from that villa and the ones that haven't been excavated could be more than enough for a few generations of scholars

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

skasion posted:

vvv lol

Also, this is a Greek library. It was common to have a separate Latin library as well, which has never been found. Hopefully because it just hasn't been found and not because it doesn't exist.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

My late-in-life-History-PhD is looking pretty good for stuff to work on.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
regrettably, this is becoming noblemen eccentric hobby poo poo again, tho, so better be landed gentry

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Tunicate posted:

It's a 2000 year old burn, we spent millions of dollars reading the scrolls and the first thing out is "Rarer stuff isn't better just because it's harder to find."

That reminds me of this story from a little while back where an ancient Romanian inscription on a sphinx was decrypted, and what it basically said was, "This is a sphinx."

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Presumably, they had some kind of filing system keeping like with like. If we can read all the scrolls, then there probably more topics to explore.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Remember the discussion about localized names for people and places this thread had, what, a month or two ago? This video from a pretty good Youtube channel about history and mythology discusses how Italian cities came to get their English names, and how the "simple" solution of switching to the Italian names comes with plenty of issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeWgkKUCXkA

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Cool beans. I'm sure as poo poo attending the unveiling at the Getty Villa next month.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I've been reading Weavers, Scribes and Kings, and it is so good. Thanks to whomever recommended it!

The idea of creating vignettes of people's lives out of a combination of primary sources and educated guesswork is pretty genius.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Apropos of nothing, is there an archaeology/pre-history thread? tia

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

There was but none of it was written down.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nenonen posted:

It's generally this one, but if you wanted to make one I'd post in it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tunicate posted:

There was but none of it was written down.

:golfclap:

Telsa Cola posted:

It's generally this one, but if you wanted to make one I'd post in it.

What do I look, like a thread starter?

In any case I was just reading about Blinkerwall

quote:

A stone age wall discovered beneath the waves off Germany’s Baltic coast may be the oldest known megastructure built by humans in Europe, researchers say.

The wall, which stretches for nearly a kilometre along the seafloor in the Bay of Mecklenburg, was spotted by accident when scientists operated a multibeam sonar system from a research vessel on a student trip about 10km (six miles) offshore.

Closer inspection of the structure, named the Blinkerwall, revealed about 1,400 smaller stones that appear to have been positioned to connect nearly 300 larger boulders, many of which were too heavy for groups of humans to have moved.

The submerged wall, described as a “thrilling discovery”, is covered by 21 metres of water, but researchers believe it was constructed by hunter-gatherers on land next to a lake or marsh more than 10,000 years ago.

While the purpose of the wall is hard to prove, scientists suspect it served as a driving lane for hunters in pursuit of herds of reindeer.

“When you chase the animals, they follow these structures, they don’t attempt to jump over them,” said Jacob Geersen at the Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research in Warnemünde, a German port town on the Baltic coast.

“The idea would be to create an artificial bottleneck with a second wall or with the lake shore,” he added.

A second wall that ran alongside the Blinkerwall may be buried in the seafloor sediments, the researchers write in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Alternatively, the wall may have forced the animals into the nearby lake, slowing them down and making them easy pickings for humans lying in wait in canoes armed with spears or bows and arrows.

Based on the size and shape of the 971 metre-long wall, Geersen and his colleagues consider it unlikely that it formed through natural processes, such as a huge tsunami moving the stones into place, or the stones being left behind by a moving glacier.

The angle of the wall, which is mostly less than 1 metre high, changes direction when it meets the larger boulders, suggesting the piles of smaller stones were positioned intentionally to link them up. In total, the wall’s stones are thought to weigh more than 142 tonnes.

If the wall was an ancient hunting lane, it was probably built more than 10,000 years ago and submerged with rising sea levels about 8,500 years ago.

“This puts the Blinkerwall into range of the oldest known examples of hunting architecture in the world and potentially makes it the oldest man-made megastructure in Europe,” the researchers said.

Geersen is now keen to revisit the site to reconstruct the ancient landscape and search for animal bones and human artefacts, such as projectiles used in hunting, which may be buried in sediments around the wall.

It's surprising that the wall is still so "easy" to see after more than ten thousand years. A second parallel wall may be buried in sediments, so it's just good luck that this part was discovered by accident. It makes you wonder what kinds of pre-historic structures are hidden under the bottom of sea. Underwater archeology would have so much to give to our understanding of history if it just wasn't so difficult and expensive.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nenonen posted:

:golfclap:

What do I look, like a thread starter?

In any case I was just reading about Blinkerwall

It's surprising that the wall is still so "easy" to see after more than ten thousand years. A second parallel wall may be buried in sediments, so it's just good luck that this part was discovered by accident. It makes you wonder what kinds of pre-historic structures are hidden under the bottom of sea. Underwater archeology would have so much to give to our understanding of history if it just wasn't so difficult and expensive.

I phone app post so I cant make threads.

Rock alignments tend to preserve hella well, especially if you don't have a ton of deposition. I'd say its about 60 percent of what I see in the field.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The more I learn about the Shang dynasty the less I like them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The more I learn about the Shang dynasty the less I like them.

drat Shang

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
second most organized human sacrifice regime, after the aztecs

although it's extremely indicative of like, modern rich country culture that you usually get more heat from peeps telling them about their puppy sacrifice (by immurement) than from telling em about their human sacrifice

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bob dobbs is dead posted:

second most organized human sacrifice regime, after the aztecs

although it's extremely indicative of like, modern rich country culture that you usually get more heat from peeps telling them about their puppy sacrifice (by immurement) than from telling em about their human sacrifice

This is such an interesting form of self-flagellation and I wonder if somebody's studied it in particular. It's not really that unusual for a society to elevate certain things above human life, it seems to me like a fairly straightforward result of social stratification, but there's a specific type of Westerner who thinks that arises specifically from 20th/21st century European culture despite being observed in...I don't want to say most cultures because I don't have a broad enough knowledge base, but I am not familiar with any culture that doesn't have some animals that it holds up as especially valuable.

In the case of China there's actually a very interesting one, from Analects X.11, 廄焚。子退朝,曰:傷人乎?不問馬。 Legge translates this as " When the stables were burnt down, on returning from court Confucius said, "Was anyone hurt?" He did not ask about the horses." The purpose of recording this is to highlight that Confucius valued human lives over those of horses (even if the people were poor and the horses were valuable) in contrast to the prevailing norms of his time. So not only does Spring & Autumn China have people who valued the lives of certain animals over the lives of humans, it also has people who were criticizing it in the same way we see today.

(and small aside, having done quite a lot of work with dogs: people REALLY overestimate how well they treat their dogs. Most of the dogs I encountered when I worked as a groomer's assistant showed obvious visible signs of abuse, and their owners very clearly thought they were treating their dogs very well)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stop saying peeps it makes you sound like a freak.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tulip posted:

This is such an interesting form of self-flagellation and I wonder if somebody's studied it in particular. It's not really that unusual for a society to elevate certain things above human life, it seems to me like a fairly straightforward result of social stratification, but there's a specific type of Westerner who thinks that arises specifically from 20th/21st century European culture despite being observed in...I don't want to say most cultures because I don't have a broad enough knowledge base, but I am not familiar with any culture that doesn't have some animals that it holds up as especially valuable.

In the case of China there's actually a very interesting one, from Analects X.11, 廄焚。子退朝,曰:傷人乎?不問馬。 Legge translates this as " When the stables were burnt down, on returning from court Confucius said, "Was anyone hurt?" He did not ask about the horses." The purpose of recording this is to highlight that Confucius valued human lives over those of horses (even if the people were poor and the horses were valuable) in contrast to the prevailing norms of his time. So not only does Spring & Autumn China have people who valued the lives of certain animals over the lives of humans, it also has people who were criticizing it in the same way we see today.

(and small aside, having done quite a lot of work with dogs: people REALLY overestimate how well they treat their dogs. Most of the dogs I encountered when I worked as a groomer's assistant showed obvious visible signs of abuse, and their owners very clearly thought they were treating their dogs very well)

the shang were finished by 1000 bc, confucius was born 551 bc...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think he's referring to the statecraft tradition that pretty clearly equates peasants with livestock, that was prominent in the pre-Imperial period.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the zhou made the mandate of heaven and all the moral-ethical stuff that confucius drew on as challenge to the shang ideology in the first place, it's like talking about the christian bonafides of lucius tarquinius

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the shang were finished by 1000 bc, confucius was born 551 bc...

I think you've misread Tulip; they're criticizing you, not the Shang, with the passage from the Analects. They're arguing that the tendency you described as "novel rich country culture" to put animals above humans was common throughout history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

nrook posted:

I think you've misread Tulip; they're criticizing you, not the Shang, with the passage from the Analects. They're arguing that the tendency you described as "novel rich country culture" to put animals above humans was common throughout history.

I didn't say it was novel, I said it was indicative. We're certainly not the first to devalue human life, if that's the claim, it's just depressing that we do (again)