Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ionicpsycho posted:

Update to my journey to be just the Tankiest. I've spent so much time at full health, that I've decided to ditch the shield in favor of the second Great Stars you can get. L1 is my healing now, and full Bull-Goat is my shield.

It's fun. Never ran out of stamina so fast before though.

Might I draw your attention to the ash of war Prayerful Strike, the greatest friend to an all Vigor and stam build and pairs nicely with a great hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It took me three sleep pots to sleep one of the godskin duo (??)

and then i somehow did a crit attack on a sleeping one and he woke back up? is this supposed to happen

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

actionjackson posted:

It took me three sleep pots to sleep one of the godskin duo (??)

and then i somehow did a crit attack on a sleeping one and he woke back up? is this supposed to happen

Yeah

And wouldn't you wake up if someone shanked your rear end

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Every character I make, I think "but surely I could get a staff and cast some glintstone sorceries at the more annoying enemies". Mage Knight is my Skyrim stealth archer build, I just can't escape it. It just feels so good to have powerful spells for dangerous enemies and a reliable old straight sword for most trash

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Carian Royal Scepter in one hand, Carian Glintstone Staff in the other, Snow Witch Hat on your head.

Open with Ranni's Dark Moon, and finish them off with Adula's Moonblade.

I guess the Darkmoon Greatsword for the close up work.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Ariong posted:

I know we spent a million pages talking about it already but jesus christ the PvP in this game is unbearable laggy dogshit and I’m so sick of every other bout of fun co-op PvE being interrupted so I can get chased around by some douchebag with a katana who hits me from offscreen with every swing. asdsnajbdhdhrbejwuebehzhbedhejebdhbjsej

EDIT: Oh wait there was one time recently where me and the host actually had a fun and satisfying encounter with an invader. Then just after the invader’s death animation was done playing the host took two hits from seemingly nothing that killed them, so presumably in that instance the invader used hacks to make sure they still got the kill. Very cool game.

What you very likely saw was packet loss, the invader got some clean hits on their end that were not rolled by the host, but the damage packets did not arrive when they should have, and they all piled up and appeared at once.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Oh hey. I found a.. bug? The Silver Tears with a face shield will stop if you hit them with Mighty Shot from a bow. They just sit there afterwards and don't do anything until you poke 'em. Real weird interaction.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh hey, I got Blaidd's armour :smith:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Ariong posted:

I know we spent a million pages talking about it already but jesus christ the PvP in this game is unbearable laggy dogshit and I’m so sick of every other bout of fun co-op PvE being interrupted so I can get chased around by some douchebag with a katana who hits me from offscreen with every swing. asdsnajbdhdhrbejwuebehzhbedhejebdhbjsej

EDIT: Oh wait there was one time recently where me and the host actually had a fun and satisfying encounter with an invader. Then just after the invader’s death animation was done playing the host took two hits from seemingly nothing that killed them, so presumably in that instance the invader used hacks to make sure they still got the kill. Very cool game.

Ok this might be hard for you to hear but if EVERY pvp encounter is laggy it is probably your net that’s the problem. Are you perhaps playing on wifi?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

When every invader you meet is an rear end in a top hat...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

UnbearablyBlight posted:

Ok this might be hard for you to hear but if EVERY pvp encounter is laggy it is probably your net that’s the problem. Are you perhaps playing on wifi?

Yeah, probably. My connection is good enough for co-op but not suited for PvP. I’m sure it sucks almost as much for the invaders who have to deal with me as it does for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat I'm dumb as poo poo. First time we fought Rykard I picked up the spear and went 'oh cool a spear' then ran towards him without even having a second thought about the name of the weapon being SERPENT HUNTER. By the second run my friends and I forgot we even had it and we proceeded to try to beat him without using the spear for at least a couple attempts per night over the last few nights. When I finally looked it up and realized what the spear was for we got to it today and absolutely trounced him. So much time wasted trying to hard mode that fucker but hey I got the sword now

I've been making great use of the Fallingstar Beast Jaw but I might have to respec back to a faith build to try the Blasphemous Blade.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

explosivo posted:

drat I'm dumb as poo poo. First time we fought Rykard I picked up the spear and went 'oh cool a spear' then ran towards him without even having a second thought about the name of the weapon being SERPENT HUNTER. By the second run my friends and I forgot we even had it and we proceeded to try to beat him without using the spear for at least a couple attempts per night over the last few nights. When I finally looked it up and realized what the spear was for we got to it today and absolutely trounced him. So much time wasted trying to hard mode that fucker but hey I got the sword now

I've been making great use of the Fallingstar Beast Jaw but I might have to respec back to a faith build to try the Blasphemous Blade.

Blasphemous Blade is the reason I always find myself doing faith builds. It's just such an amazing weapon.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

getting summoned for radahn and coastal cave back to back. RL32 kicks rear end

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I started a new character, and noticed something interesting.

In Stormveil, there is a huge painting of Godfrey posing - Serosh on his back, and his axe in hand.

However, his axe is broken.

Based on the fact that his Golden Shade has an intact axe, most things I've read assume that his axe is broken during the time he was banished from the Lands Between on the Long March.

But, how could there be a painting of him with that axe in Stormveil? The game heavily implies he only returned to the Lands Between shortly before you fight him - he basically says "hey, you were close to getting to the Elden Ring, but know I'm back so, sucks to suck."

So who painted the painting? And when?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

doomrider7 posted:

Blasphemous Blade is the reason I always find myself doing faith builds. It's just such an amazing weapon.

Whew okay yeah this weapon rules. The heal on kill is not a small amount too, which I really wasn't expecting.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Epic High Five posted:

Might I draw your attention to the ash of war Prayerful Strike, the greatest friend to an all Vigor and stam build and pairs nicely with a great hammer

Oh, it's on there alright.
Speaking of healing on hit, how good is the Godskin Swaddling Cloth? I'm already spamming L1 for that double 1% heal on hit, shouldn't really need to change my lack of strategy by putting that thing on. Unless it's full of weird caveats and doesn't heal as much as it should.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ionicpsycho posted:

Oh, it's on there alright.
Speaking of healing on hit, how good is the Godskin Swaddling Cloth? I'm already spamming L1 for that double 1% heal on hit, shouldn't really need to change my lack of strategy by putting that thing on. Unless it's full of weird caveats and doesn't heal as much as it should.

It's probably worth a shot but I never had any real luck with successive hit anything on big heavy weapon builds. The swaddling cloth itself is complicated in how it works tho so may be forgiving. It may work with Prelate's Charge as well but ultimately imho if it's FP you're spending you already have the better option

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Swaddling cloth is best when you have something like dual curved sword or dual twinblade where you can count on landing successive hits all the time. You can do it with big weapons too but you probably need a skill that multihits, like wild strikes (super good on great stars btw)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

explosivo posted:

Whew okay yeah this weapon rules. The heal on kill is not a small amount too, which I really wasn't expecting.

If you combine it with Takers Cameo or Blessed Dew Talismans and the Icon Shield, you pretty much never have to use flasks ever.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Epic High Five posted:

It's probably worth a shot but I never had any real luck with successive hit anything on big heavy weapon builds. The swaddling cloth itself is complicated in how it works tho so may be forgiving. It may work with Prelate's Charge as well but ultimately imho if it's FP you're spending you already have the better option

No FP needed, it's a Talisman. Seems to proc every 5th hit with hammers, which means every 5 swings gives me an extra 3% of my health bank, on top of the 5% from the hammers. It's doing a fantastic job of keeping me topped off, while Prayerful Strike I use when I get a bit too beaten down. I think the Mimic is healing me with it's strikes as well.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

think I'm finally getting to a point where my RL32 damage just doesn't really hold up. barely managed to eke out a win against the valiant gargoyles after like 30 attempts, morgott in about maybe half that, though I feel like the fire giant is going to be a real pain in my rear end and leyndell trash already kind of is. I like using my noble slender swords but I might have to think of a higher damage weapon, or something.

still having a lot of fun helping as a cooperator. I think Radahn might be the highest I can be summoned for without leveling up more, but we'll see. currently turning my runes into crab.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Going to give seamless co-op a try with a few friends who wouldn't of bothered trying the game alone, my question is: 1.5.1 or 2.0 for the seamless co-op mod?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Going to give seamless co-op a try with a few friends who wouldn't of bothered trying the game alone, my question is: 1.5.1 or 2.0 for the seamless co-op mod?

I've played through just about the whole game with my friends using 2.0 and there have been some issues but nothing real bad, usually fixed with separating/rejoining or a crash here or there. There was one quest my friend was trying to complete, I forget exactly which one, that didn't work with 2.0 so he had to downgrade to complete the mission then went back to 2.0 but didn't have any problems doing that.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Zodium posted:

think I'm finally getting to a point where my RL32 damage just doesn't really hold up. barely managed to eke out a win against the valiant gargoyles after like 30 attempts, morgott in about maybe half that, though I feel like the fire giant is going to be a real pain in my rear end and leyndell trash already kind of is. I like using my noble slender swords but I might have to think of a higher damage weapon, or something.

still having a lot of fun helping as a cooperator. I think Radahn might be the highest I can be summoned for without leveling up more, but we'll see. currently turning my runes into crab.

At level 32 lategame status is your friend. Slap some Bleed on those slender swords, proc rot and poison with arrows, pots, or antspur, and watch fire giant melt (comparatively, anyway)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do model swap mods get you banned from multiplayer? I tried to use Blasphemous Blade once but I just can't enjoy the aesthetic.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do model swap mods get you banned from multiplayer? I tried to use Blasphemous Blade once but I just can't enjoy the aesthetic.

If it only modifies the texture files you should be fine.

Anything that modifies the code should only be done offline.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack B Nimble posted:

I paired it with Elemer's Briar set and think it looks pretty durn cool :shobon:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

UnbearablyBlight posted:

At level 32 lategame status is your friend. Slap some Bleed on those slender swords, proc rot and poison with arrows, pots, or antspur, and watch fire giant melt (comparatively, anyway)

thanks. I just managed to whittle Niall down one 72 damage hit at a time with the very occasional bleed proc, so I guess I know what I'm in for with the fire giant. :3:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I cheesed Niall with a bow for the first time yesterday. Lol. Just gotta poke him from the balcony near the halberd knight, then he looks at you over his railing. Just pump his face full of arrows and that's it.

The first shot is the hardest. Gotta shoot him through a tiny slit in the wall from just the right angle.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
For anyone in this thread who ever feels dumb, realize that I have you beat. Yesterday, after playing for two years, I learned how to write multiple phrases in a message (press Y more than twice).

First off, research
and then
Time for message

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

joke's on you, i don't even know how to write messages in the first place

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I found a Runebear I'd never seen before yesterday, underneath the elevated roadway from Academy Gate Town to Reya Lucaria's front gate. Years in, and there are spots in the game I'm still discovering.

Still didn't fight it, because forget bothering to fight Runebears, it's never worth it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I found a Runebear I'd never seen before yesterday, underneath the elevated roadway from Academy Gate Town to Reya Lucaria's front gate. Years in, and there are spots in the game I'm still discovering.

Still didn't fight it, because forget bothering to fight Runebears, it's never worth it.

I've known about this guy because I often jump off the academy bridge to a massive stalagmite (west side) as a shortcut down, instead I recently discovered a knife-lion in Caelid that I never knew about, nestled in under the cliff near the Death Bird that drops the poker. It guards a bunch of beast blood.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So I booted up a fresh confessor and man, I don’t think I like going back to zero. You get spoiled once you can hit/tank things.

I am ashamed to admit that the Godrick Knight took me three tries right there at the entrance to the hill going up to Stormveil where you get the whetstone knife.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
My God, I finally beat the game for the first time. My terrible build right before choosing an ending.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

dialhforhero posted:

So I booted up a fresh confessor and man, I don’t think I like going back to zero. You get spoiled once you can hit/tank things.

I can't imagine any better way to begin the game than as a Wretch, and also I can't imagine going back and starting from level 1 ever again

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm the opposite, I've beaten the game three times with three different characters and haven't played more than a couple hours of new game plus.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fresh start is where it's at, NG+ is fine but I like these games to play around with builds and NG+ and beyond means you keep leveling and stop having one, or you stop leveling and run out of new stuff to play around with in it

Ionicpsycho posted:

My God, I finally beat the game for the first time. My terrible build right before choosing an ending.

I've seen far, far worse builds than that one and I'm not just saying that because it's 90% identical to most of the ones I run. Aside from some points that could be moved elsewhere the only thing that stands out to me is that you may be the first person to use a build like that but not use the Great-Jar's Arsenal talisman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm the opposite, I've beaten the game three times with three different characters and haven't played more than a couple hours of new game plus.

NG+ is fun if you just want to comically obliterate the game in fifteen hours.