Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

Ah okay. So it's not a wrong baseline but nothing else is wrong, it's more like "if you were puzzled at the effects we've been seeing at 1.5C, that's because we're actually at 1.7C"?

fake edit: thanks for the recap Oldest Man, I only noticed your post right as i was hitting the submit button

They're not saying that explicitly but yeah I wouldn't say that's an unreasonable conclusion to draw from this except that the IPCC consensus position is that we aren't even at 1.5C yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Everyone in positions of power knew, guess that's why they've been building bunkers :tinfoil:
I wonder when the upper class all realized where things were headed? ik Exxon knew since the 80s.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Cucks

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
It's El Nino it's supposed to be hot.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Greenhouse earth is gonna be so fuckin good 🥵

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol

*crying, sobbing*

lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
doc said i got early onset industrial era warming. not looking great, you know how it is.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stevie Lee posted:

is that an all-time record in loving february???

lmao

march is usually the peak of all those older lines but also maybe it will just keep going up forever

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
staring to think if the ufos don't come to straighten our poo poo out we might be in for a bit of a rocky time here. might be like a rough few weeks or something.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the "yet" in "not that bad yet" grows closer

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
windows down, heater on. big bolt of lighting hanging low over the coast. everyone's convinced it's a government drone or an alien spaceship. either way, we're not alone.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I feel queazy in daily life at this point

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
This sucks rear end, dude

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

They're not saying that explicitly but yeah I wouldn't say that's an unreasonable conclusion to draw from this except that the IPCC consensus position is that we aren't even at 1.5C yet.

would be extremely funny if the “if we can act now we can limit warming to 1.5C” COP talks were happening about when we hit that number

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Samuel Glompers posted:

This sucks rear end, dude

don't be sad that it's ending, be happy that it happened

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm happy to be with u all

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

I'm happy to be with u all

just post!

:buddy:

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I only ask that a mod embeds NearerMyGodToThee.mid and has it loop endlessly when the time comes

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Gentlemen, it has been an honour posting with you this holocevening

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

what can you say? we truly did it :shobon:

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

always lol

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hm. if we're at 1.7, i think it's time for someone to do something

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Could we bomb a volcano or something
All we know is explosions

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
graph. chart.

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1754610629191815552

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

*obama-ishly* I did that

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

like a fart in the wind

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol

*crying, sobbing*

lol

Col, smao

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
so they're good for the next 999 years. glad that's sorted.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

1-in-1,000 event? Meh, we get those every year

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I don't condone baseless conspiracy theorizing, but this line correlates with the wide availability of Mexican food in the Western world.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

kyojin posted:

Col, smao

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

I guess I'll just say it in plain language: this study doesn't change anything about the pre industrial baseline temperature. We didn't just oopsy that. What they found is a near-term historical ocean temperature record that they believe is better than other historical records that have been available to date for a few reasons**. What that record contains is evidence of a bunch of hidden warming - starting both earlier and proceeding further than other records indicate. Estimating the actual mean global temperature is really, really hard. They're saying they found a better thermometer for a major component of the global temperature that has thus far been under or unmeasured, and what that thermometer says is that we started warming earlier and have warmed more than we otherwise would have believed.

*(1 - getting the data from long lived sponges using modern technology means you're actually getting a current snapshot of a historical record encoded in a physical representation, like a tree ring, meaning it's first-hand data vs reading what someone wrote in a notebook 200 years ago which is second-hand, 2 - because the depth where these sponges lived in a shallow but well-mixed layer means the data - according to them - are less noisy than sea surface temperature readings and less subject to error, 3 - because the specific geographic location where they got the samples has a primary temperature influence from global forcing which according to them means this is an ideal sample that is primarily influenced by mean global temperatures rather than other factors)

in their words

Does this make Hansen's recent increased estimate of C02 sensitivity being higher than previously believed more likely? It seems logically that it would to me.

In other words, lol, lmao.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bullshit nothingburger storm. i was counting on it to make my work easy this week and it doesn’t even park over SD? climate change is over

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
unprecedented

earlier than expected

not. that. bad. yet

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

on the contrary I'm confident we'll look back and think it was very precedented

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
comedy option: the starlink constellation kicks off kessler syndrome into high gear, encasing the earth in a cooling shroud of shiny particles and inadvertently buying us a lot more time to continue doing the exact same thing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Even better it fucks up just enough to lock us in and prevent any last ditch attempts, but not do anything to the climate

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

im buying the biggest most pollutingest truck and ripping out everything related to emissions we got this guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i support energy :smuggo: