Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They call out the creepiness of Scott for the age gap in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah difference between "drat that's creepy" and "arrest him right now"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't Scott pick knives up from school in the movie lol

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is Scott meant to be charismatic and likeable? Because in the film Cera plays him like a school shooter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
At least we know not to let fangz around high schoolers I guess, if they think letting 20somethings date them is acceptable

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Scott meant to be charismatic and likeable? Because in the film Cera plays him like a school shooter.

*sidles up to a woman at a house party*
Did you know that the Columbine shooters were reported to have planned out their massacre using Doom .wads of their school but their original plan wasn't even to go through the school but to bomb it and shoot the people as they ran outside? I couldn't actually recreate this until I played Goldeneye and used remote mines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Scott Pilgrim is a giant absolute nerd rear end in a top hat who inexplicably has enough charisma to attract people who know better, so Cera is actually pretty on point.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The movie version of Scott is absolutely more predatory than the book version.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also for some reason Kim and Knives probably hook up while drunk at the lake cottage

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Scott Pilgrim is a giant absolute nerd rear end in a top hat who inexplicably has enough charisma to attract people who know better, so Cera is actually pretty on point.

I dont know he came off more as a jockish and popular guy that into had regular success dating while also being into nerd properties and as we fund out as we read, is pretty self involved (a twist and critique that seemed pretty fresh in the oughts). He's an extrovert.

Cera decidedly, is not in his portrayal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I dont know he came off more as a jockish and popular guy that into had regular success dating while also being into nerd properties and as we fund out as we read, is pretty self involved (a twist and critique that seemed pretty fresh in the oughts). He's an extrovert.

Cera decidedly, is not in his portrayal.

I don't really think he's either of those. He's the 'best fighter' but that ties more into the video-game-as-meta aspect than anything actually about his character who is pretty much a kind of schlubby loser in his early 20s who refuses to grow up and who has been gradually slowly alienating everyone around him. I'm not sure he's so much popular as he is coasting on interia and natural charisma, and most of what we're shown is that he makes a cute first impression that doesn't last because he's kind of a poo poo. The only person around him who seems to like him as opposed to "we've been friends long enough I want you to stop being a poo poo" is Knives who sees a cute slightly older guy in a ~baaaand~ who is paying attention to her.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thinking this might be pushing me to do a reread of the series

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Scott describes himself as "such a jock" in the story that's part of Vs. the Animation, so I think that's definitely part of his self-image even if he doesn't do any actual sports. The comic version of the character has a kind of cartoon hyperkineticism that lets him pull this off, so I think it's correct to read him as legitimately fit even if his lifestyle is terrible (which is why if his life had a face, Kim would punch it).

The movie version doesn't really have this, not so much because Cera is schlubby and more because Cera is made of meat and not pixels and thus can't carry the same manic energy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That sort of self assureness and energy without self reflection reminds me of people I know who did well in sports in high school, i.e. jockish, but if his sport was fighting a bunch of people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scott never seemed like he was even sports-adjacent but he does bring to mind any of a hundred different dudes I knew in high school who had a kind of wiry strength build from their burnout manual labour jobs or growing up trying not to be the terminal loser in older brother backyard wrestling brawls.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also worth noting that Scott seems to exist in a universe where being able to defeat people in video-game brawls seems to be connected on a thematic level with the ability to impose your personality on the world around you, which kind of breaks the link between lifestyle and fitness.

The animated version of Lucas Lee is about three times as jacked as anybody else in the show, but he seems like exactly the kind of person who could never keep to a diet or a heavy lifting regime.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And because it's hard not to imagine Lucas Lee as Captain America.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scott is a good fighter but he's explicitly a good fighter in a way that the setting associates with personality traits rather than physical ability. It's not something you're supposed to overly think about but he's the sort of dude who is good at fighting because he's good at video game fighting and that translates into the weird way the world works. Same way that being Vegan gives you superpowers or being prone to running away means you can use a subspace superhighway and being kind of weird and goth means you can summon demon hipster chicks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Scott is a good fighter but he's explicitly a good fighter in a way that the setting associates with personality traits rather than physical ability. It's not something you're supposed to overly think about but he's the sort of dude who is good at fighting because he's good at video game fighting and that translates into the weird way the world works. Same way that being Vegan gives you superpowers or being prone to running away means you can use a subspace superhighway and being kind of weird and goth means you can summon demon hipster chicks.

WTF he was a pirate not a weird goth

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If you headcanon it that in about 5 years, Scott would be a line cook somewhere, his character makes so much more sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

If you headcanon it that in about 5 years, Scott would be a line cook somewhere, his character makes so much more sense.
He literally does that in the comic lmao

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

Prep cook, but yea. that's a pretty funny guess there.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Haha that's literally what he does when he stops drinking and tries to get his life together at the end of the series, and his friends all respect him a lot more for it.

Also idk what kind of extremely mature grown up brained assessment of reality your friend groups apparently had in your dumbshit late teens/early twenties, but when I was around that age it was not at all uncommon to see much larger than 3 year age gaps in the giant pool of acquaintances you consider your friend group at that point, as well sus, ill advised drunken hook ups with people's exes at parties that lead to horribly dramatic fallout. People didn't really start to develop shame or sense until like 26 or 27 (which tracks since that's when you finally actually have a frontal lobe).

Or maybe Orange County just had a higher than average concentration of dirtbags in the early 2000s, which I'll admit is rather plausible.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SlimGoodbody posted:

Or maybe Orange County just had a higher than average concentration of dirtbags in the early 2000s, which I'll admit is rather plausible.

SoCal pop-punk of the era suggests this to be the case

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hollywood Reporter is supporting the rumor that the first Deadpool 3 trailer will drop February 11th during the Super Bowl. Disney is officially not confirming or denying it.

Ryan Reynolds is also attending the Super Bowl and might promote it live or... something?

quote:

And don’t be surprised if the mercurial Reynolds — also a proven marketer — suits up himself in some fashion.

The movie is also still technically untitled, so I guess this will reveal if it is just "Deadpool 3" or if there is some kind of subtitle.

No other comic movie trailers expected to debut during the game, but supposedly the following movies will also have Super Bowl trailers:

- Bob Marley: One Love
- A Quiet Place: Day One
- IF
- Fall Guy
- Despicable Me 4
- Twisters

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1754735945260134651

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Endless Mike posted:

Heh, that shows how long it’s been since I read them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're making a sequel to "Twister"!?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arist posted:

I thought that was a joke, but it apparently is a sequel to Twister.

Starring Anthony Ramos and none of the original cast.

Helen Hunt apparently got kicked off the movie because she wanted to write and direct it, and she insisted that her character die, which the studio hated.

quote:

Helen Hunt expressed interest in developing a sequel to the original film. The studio rejected Hunt's plans for writing and directing it, due to her character being killed off for the sequel.

It's been in production since 2020 and has a $205 million budget. What a wild commitment to the idea of a Twister sequel with almost no connectivity to the original. I guess the... twister is returning?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisters_(film)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 6, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Also idk what kind of extremely mature grown up brained assessment of reality your friend groups apparently had in your dumbshit late teens/early twenties, but when I was around that age it was not at all uncommon to see much larger than 3 year age gaps in the giant pool of acquaintances you consider your friend group at that point, as well sus, ill advised drunken hook ups with people's exes at parties that lead to horribly dramatic fallout. People didn't really start to develop shame or sense until like 26 or 27 (which tracks since that's when you finally actually have a frontal lobe).

Nah, that was my friend group in college too. We went from a 17yo gifted kid all the way up to people in their early 30s. We had a communal spot in the quad everyone would pass by, and you could guarantee some people would be there to hang out and chat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Heh, that shows how long it’s been since I read them.

It sticks to me because when he gets the job, it's explained to him that if he does it well, he can move to different jobs and he responds with "Oh sort of like a jobs system!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone calls Scott out on it specifically because Knives is still in highschool.

And she's still 17 in the movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twister is a great popcorn movie and I’m sad that whatever trash this sequel is will be making GBS threads all over that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s a win-win for Netflix, honestly. They get essentially 4 movies’ worth of engagement out of 2 movies shooting.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Arist posted:

Twister 2: Twisted

Edit: Oh LMFAO, its actually called "Twisters". Like so what, the first movie already did that with boss rush on level 3.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 6, 2024

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They should call it Deadpool 3: Infinite Crisis on Infinite Earths

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Doing the Alien => Aliens name thing just makes me sad Bill Paxton is dead.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's been in production since 2020 and has a $205 million budget. What a wild commitment to the idea of a Twister sequel with almost no connectivity to the original. I guess the... twister is returning?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisters_(film)

“I remember you,you killed my father!”

“Whoosh!”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No I think the DCEU is dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A $205 million budget for a sequel with none of the original cast and no major actors is absolutely bonkers.

Unless Anthony Ramos is commanding Robert Downey Jr. levels of money, then they are either going to have the greatest sets and special effects of all time or the most over-priced sets and special effects of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
None of the original cast?!? Have you ever thought that it is the same tornado from the first one, and because it is called Twisters this tornado now has a family.